Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,497
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:48:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minnesota Riots

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 28, 2020, 04:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

An NYPD "challenge coin" commemorating the abuse of psychiatric detention to silence Adrian Schoolcraft (whose allegations seem to have been proven).

idunnosomename

WHEN YOU GENUFLECT BEND THE RIGHT KNEE

THAT MEANS GRAB YOUR LEFT KNEE

it looks so messy if you all just do whatever

god yanks. you need a bit of high-church ritualism in ye

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Buelligan on June 30, 2020, 09:41:58 AM
True for apples but where the police are concerned, good police (they allegedly exist) are surely capable of and responsible for, dobbing in and heaving out the bad cops, part of their job.  If they exist and are doing the job they're trained and paid for.
One would hope. Unfortunately that's what the "bad apples" metaphor means. A human (an outside force) has to remove them from the fruit bowl.

wooders1978

The alleged white supremacists who were shot to pieces by chop security are two black boys aged just 14 and 16

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/29/chop-chaz-shooting-seattle-police-free-zone

Quote from: wooders1978 on June 30, 2020, 11:11:37 PM
The alleged white supremacists who were shot to pieces by chop security are two black boys aged just 14 and 16

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/29/chop-chaz-shooting-seattle-police-free-zone

I have always thought the "CHAZ" was dumb, but I'm also perplexed how purported news outlets can publish articles like this entirely devoid of context or reporting and clearly intended to convey the message that without police we are all in danger of anarchic violence. Nobody knows any facts about any of these shootings??

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

"Your Silence Is Voilence" on the sign. Clever wordplay linking it to Des Moines there. Probably.

wooders1978

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 30, 2020, 11:18:25 PM
I have always thought the "CHAZ" was dumb, but I'm also perplexed how purported news outlets can publish articles like this entirely devoid of context or reporting and clearly intended to convey the message that without police we are all in danger of anarchic violence. Nobody knows any facts about any of these shootings??

CHOP is the size of a small town and the article states that this fatal shooting is on top of four other shootings on that area in the last 10 days, one of them fatal (another young black guy btw) - how much more context do you need?

Buelligan

A good bit of context would be to know how many people per x thousand per day are shot or killed with a gun in the US.  Another bit would be to know who shot them and why.

wooders1978

Quote from: Buelligan on July 01, 2020, 11:32:26 AM
A good bit of context would be to know how many people per x thousand per day are shot or killed with a gun in the US.  Another bit would be to know who shot them and why.

What the whole of the us vs a couple of square miles in CHOP? How does that offer any useful context?

Buelligan

Read what I wrote.  Maybe I was unclear but I was suggesting a figure per X thousand, which would be comparable.

Johnny Yesno

Surely the stats for the same area when there is a police presence would be a better comparison.

wooders1978

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/last-72-hours?page=15&sort=asc&order=State

They represent 100% of the gunshot deaths in the city of Seattle in the last 72 hours & there was only one other death in the entire state of Washington - for example

Buelligan

72 hours is hardly a useful window for gathering context.  How about the 72 hours a month or a week ago?  The 72 hours in which 911 fell in New York or the 72 hours that surround Christmas Day in some tiny village in the White Mountains.  They're too small and specific to be useful.  What is useful is to know how many people died in Seattle over the last year, divide that by the number of people in the area and see what happens to your account and your context.  Also, as I said, knowing what those people were doing and why they were shot also helps. 

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 01, 2020, 12:47:56 PM
Surely the stats for the same area when there is a police presence would be a better comparison.

Precisely.

wooders1978

Ok you go and do that and come back to me to prove your point

Blumf

CHOP for the chop

https://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-police-clearing-chop-area-after-durkan-issues-executive-order
QuoteMore than a dozen protestors in Seattle's CHOP area have been arrested after Seattle Police officers flooded the area early Wednesday morning to clear out the weeks-long occupation of several streets.

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan issued an executive order in the predawn hours Wednesday, essentially declaring CHOP over and authorizing police to clear the streets.

After giving several warnings to disperse, police have arrested at least 13 protestors who refused to leave, Seattle Police said. "Anyone who remains in the area, or returns to the area, is subject to arrest," Seattle Police said.

Live stream running currently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Bq434Rwpk

Quote from: wooders1978 on July 01, 2020, 09:57:59 AM
CHOP is the size of a small town and the article states that this fatal shooting is on top of four other shootings on that area in the last 10 days, one of them fatal (another young black guy btw) - how much more context do you need?

Literally any context. Why were they shot? By whom were they shot? Obviously you don't care at all and are interested in creating a narrative.

Endicott

Murder rates per 100,000 per year can be found here, with the caveat of course that this is wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate#Crime_rates_per_100,000_people_per_year

Honestly though I don't really see what people are trying to prove here. The current figures for CHOP are not at all refined, if only because it has been in existence for such a short time, and don't really tell you anything. And these wiki figures are also pretty broad. Using them to prove anything specific makes a person sound like a 911 truther.

Zetetic

Mmm.

If you're trying to draw anything out from a small number of cases, it's matter of understanding the individual causal routes that led to them.

wooders1978

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 01, 2020, 02:58:22 PM
Literally any context. Why were they shot? By whom were they shot? Obviously you don't care at all and are interested in creating a narrative.

Why were 2 teenage boys shot? We're they asking for it?

That sort of thing?
I do care because this fingers in ears attitude towards the high mortality rate of black teens is completely endemic in this country and the US coz no one seems to give a fuck unless a policeman did it

Buelligan

How many died this week?  This month?  Year?  Do you care enough to know?  Be honest, you're focusing on these two deaths because you feel they mean something about CHOP and maybe they do but you can't know what simply by knowing they're dead. 

chveik

it'd be interested to know what's going on there but it's a bit like the Chinese/Indian border, where can you find an impartial report

Endicott

Quote from: wooders1978 on July 01, 2020, 05:53:05 PM
Why were 2 teenage boys shot? We're they asking for it?

That sort of thing?
I do care because this fingers in ears attitude towards the high mortality rate of black teens is completely endemic in this country and the US coz no one seems to give a fuck unless a policeman did it

Well at least you've let it be known which particular chip on your shoulder is prompting you to post this. Your actual complaint is that leftists don't moan enough about black on black crime.

The people on my side of the political spectrum want to stop poverty and racism. They see the creation of the out of work underclass, especially in the US but also elsewhere, an underclass that is made up of both black and white, they see that as a deliberate ploy by the right to control the population, and don't like it (I mean I could write an essay here but what for?). They want to change systems so that these things don't happen. In part, but not only because of, high levels of black on black crime. So I'm sorry that we don't bang on about enough for your liking.

Quote from: wooders1978 on July 01, 2020, 05:53:05 PM
Why were 2 teenage boys shot?

That's what I'd be curious to know! Unfortunately I am not a journalist or news organization irresponsibly posting on this story without doing even the minimum due diligence to actually investigate what happened.

Blumf

Meanwhile, in Germany...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53237685
QuoteGermany's defence minister says she has ordered the partial dissolution of the elite KSK commando force, which has come under growing criticism over right-wing extremism in its ranks.

Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer told a newspaper it had become partly independent of the chain of command.

In May, police seized explosives and weapons at the home of a KSK soldier.

In January, military intelligence said there were almost 600 suspected far-right supporters in the army last year.

They also said the KSK (Special Forces Command) was seen as a particular problem, with 20 members of the elite force suspected of right-wing extremism.

Just what are the enforcers of state violence's attraction to right-wing ideology, eh?

sambwel

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 01, 2020, 07:31:22 PM
That's what I'd be curious to know! Unfortunately I am not a journalist or news organization irresponsibly posting on this story without doing even the minimum due diligence to actually investigate what happened.

The rumors are that CHOP intrudes on gang territory and the pair were put up to the task of driving by and firing a few shots to scare the CHOP residents. Whether true or not I think it's quite disturbing that the CHOP security response was extrajudicial assassination, especially when we are talking about white men executing black kids. Plus ça change, eh? All the gloating afterwards about 'murking' the kids is quite revolting.

I was a big defender of CHOP up to this point and I don't think the solution now is for the state to send the troops in the clear 'em out but I do think if the aim was to set up a cop-free alternative community then the experiment has failed and the organisers need to disband and do some serious self-examination.

sirhenry

Quote from: sambwel on July 03, 2020, 02:59:04 AM
The rumors are that CHOP intrudes on gang territory and the pair were put up to the task of driving by and firing a few shots to scare the CHOP residents. Whether true or not I think it's quite disturbing that the CHOP security response was extrajudicial assassination, especially when we are talking about white men executing black kids. Plus ça change, eh? All the gloating afterwards about 'murking' the kids is quite revolting.

I was a big defender of CHOP up to this point and I don't think the solution now is for the state to send the troops in the clear 'em out but I do think if the aim was to set up a cop-free alternative community then the experiment has failed and the organisers need to disband and do some serious self-examination.
Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops DropsUnfortunately I am not a journalist or news organization irresponsibly posting on this story without doing even the minimum due diligence to actually investigate what happened

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: sambwel on July 03, 2020, 02:59:04 AM

So you're saying it's just a different gang doing a shakedown, not the official state-sponsored gang?

sambwel

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on July 03, 2020, 01:22:35 PM
So you're saying it's just a different gang doing a shakedown, not the official state-sponsored gang?

Splitting hairs I think, the street gangs and the police tend to have a gentleman's agreement about what is permitted in certain areas.

I think any revolutionary movement has to reckon at some point with what for lack of a better term I'll call the lumpen. Organised crime in its various forms has carved out an existence that relies on the status quo to operate. But the solution is not, I suggest, white men gunning down black kids and cheering. Call me crazy but that seems counterproductive when you think about how all this CHOP business started.

canadagoose

I'm not sure "it would be wonderful if it wasn't for the white supremacists and gangs" is quite the convincing argument CHOP types think it is. Surely they're not advocating capital punishment. Some of these moonbat anarchists have strangely tankie tendencies.