Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:18:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minnesota Riots

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 28, 2020, 04:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Buelligan on September 04, 2020, 12:02:33 PM
I know they have big vehicles in America but still, firing an assault rifle from inside a vehicle, then getting out, presumably still firing and running away, still firing a rifle.  If you've been to firing ranges, you'll know what a rifle is El Unicornio.

None of these things are difficult to do, even from a small vehicle. We're talking about an assault rifle, not an M60. The 17-year old Kenosha shooter was filmed doing the latter.

Assault rifles are regularly used in drive-bys. Here's someone practising one, with an AK-47 (one of the heavier/larger assault rifles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp8R5QQ66lY&ab_channel=Z-BoysGunChannel

and another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLRsDli0-yA&ab_channel=mikenkellys5224

Buelligan

They're good for firing and operating door handles and running away with are they?

El Unicornio, mang

If they weren't, they'd be pretty useless for the soldiers in every country in the world who use them. I've never tried opening a door handle with an assault rifle but I imagine that opening a car door isn't that difficult regardless of what you're holding in the other hand. You must have seen action movies where they do just that?

Buelligan

Yes, if it was an action movie in my head and the police were the good guys, I'd probably think it made complete sense.

wooders1978

Would it be prudent to find out some facts about what happened rather than fall out with each other about him being executed by the state or died shooting at police? It's less fun, I appreciate that..

Bazooka

Quote from: wooders1978 on September 04, 2020, 12:47:52 PM
Would it be prudent to find out some facts about what happened rather than fall out with each other about him being executed by the state or died shooting at police? It's less fun, I appreciate that..

You mean wait for a plot twist in the narrative where the majority of police don't actually go out hunting people for sport?  That will blow minds!

chveik

Quote from: Bazooka on September 04, 2020, 01:28:42 PM
You mean wait for a plot twist in the narrative where the majority of police don't actually go out hunting people for sport?  That will blow minds!

this isn't representative of your best work

QDRPHNC

Not to put them on a pedestal or anything, because believe me the Toronto police force has it's own problems with racism and excessive force, but every time I see a situation in the States where the cops just had to shoot someone to death for not doing as their told, I can't help but think of the incel van attack that happened here in 2018.

QuoteDuring the confrontation, Minassian repeatedly drew his hand from his back pocket and pointed a dark-colored object toward the police officer as if it were a pistol. Lam ordered Minassian to drop to the ground, while Minassian tried repeatedly to provoke the officer to kill him, demanding he be shot "in the head!" when the officer warned him he may be shot. Lam then went to his cruiser and turned off its siren. As Minassian and Lam advanced towards each other, the officer recognized that the object in Minassian's hand was not a gun, holstered his pistol, and took out his baton to avoid the use of unnecessary lethal force. Minassian then dropped the object from his hand, lay down on the ground and surrendered to Lam. He was arrested at 1:32 p.m.

The United States seems to be an angry country. Just a lot of ugliness and anger, and the cops exemplify that, I think. Always operating on a knife-edge, happy to murder for even the slightest defiance of their authority.

Bazooka

Quote from: chveik on September 04, 2020, 01:32:14 PM
this isn't representative of your best work

The critics reviews are already arriving hot off the press.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Vice had just done an interview with him:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v7g8vb/man-linked-to-killing-at-a-portland-protest-says-he-acted-in-self-defense

I get the feeling the police just approached the journalist and asked him where the guy was. The interview may not have taken place exactly where he was hiding out, but it would have given them a general area to focus on. The timing of it just seems a bit too convenient.

Buelligan

Quote from: wooders1978 on September 04, 2020, 12:47:52 PM

I'm not falling out with anyone, El Unicorn and myself have been friendly fellow CaBbers for years.  It is possible to discuss serious shit without taking it personally.  It has nothing much to do with fun, just caring about stuff and talking about it, like two humans.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Buelligan on September 04, 2020, 03:43:08 PM
I'm not falling out with anyone, El Unicorn and myself have been friendly fellow CaBbers for years.  It is possible to discuss serious shit without taking it personally.  It has nothing much to do with fun, just caring about stuff and talking about it, like two humans.

Oh no I've totally fallen out with you, cancelled/off my Xmas card list for this year.

But seriously, just a bit of heated debate. I've had my opinions changed on a number of subjects over the years on here so I'm all for hearing different viewpoints.

wooders1978

I will never dare to intervene again

Buelligan

wooders1978

I will never dare to intervene again

C_Larence

QuoteUPDATE from the sheriff's agency investigating the shooting: The department says 4 officers shot their guns. They believe the suspect had a weapon but can't say right now whether or not he used it. The shooting happened around a vehicle near an apartment.

The story is already changing. Discussing the police's version of events is a waste of time as they lie whenever they can get away with it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/03/us/michael-reinoehl-arrest-portland-shooting.html

Moribunderast

Body cam footage from March - another death in custody (or while being arrested) has been released and officers suspended (with pay). Warning, the footage in this article is fucking horrifying. Seven cops, one mentally unwell man. He is spitting at them so they put a hood on his head and then hold his face down against the ground until he can no longer breathe.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-daniel-prude-rochester-police-death-20200903-rolkcb2blbhb7gbq5mqnqiwjjq-story.html

C_Larence

Quote from: Moribunderast on September 05, 2020, 01:29:41 AM
Body cam footage from March - another death in custody (or while being arrested) has been released and officers suspended (with pay). Warning, the footage in this article is fucking horrifying. Seven cops, one mentally unwell man. He is spitting at them so they put a hood on his head and then hold his face down against the ground until he can no longer breathe.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-daniel-prude-rochester-police-death-20200903-rolkcb2blbhb7gbq5mqnqiwjjq-story.html

Furthering my point in my previous post, the original police narrative in this case was that Prude had died of an overdose.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/nyregion/rochester-police-daniel-prude.amp.html

Ferris

Why was the warrant with the federal marshal service if he wasn't formally indicted and arraigned before a federal court?

I'm sure it's nothing to do with the fact that marshals are the enforcement branch of the federal DoJ headed by someone or other in Washington.

Apparently it was also some weird amalgamation of different law enforcement agencies, like prison guards and stuff? Very suspicious.

evilcommiedictator

It's civil war, baby! Buckle up for November!

Buelligan

Quote from: Buelligan on September 04, 2020, 12:02:33 PM
Quote from: Lieutenant Brady quoted by the BBC
The information we have at this time is that the subject was armed. There were shots that were fired into the vehicle and the subject fled from the vehicle, at which time there was additional shots that were fired

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54023227

Quote from: Lieutenant Brady quoted in the article linked by C_Larence"We were not involved in the incident all all, not involved in the use of force, so I'm not sure what they're implying,"

It goes on to say

QuoteBrady said he didn't have any information regarding whether Reinoehl fired any shots or produced his handgun during the encounter that night.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2020/09/witness-says-officers-never-gave-commands-before-firing-at-michael-reinoehl-outside-wa-apartment.html

How utterly bizarre.

Paul Calf

QuoteAntifa, short for "anti-fascist", is a loosely-affiliated network of mainly far-left activists.

No, BBC. It's a loosely-affiliated group of people who were opposed to fascism. Remember that? The thing that British servicepeople gave their lives to defeat? The thing that broke the British Empire? The last time in history when Britain was uncontroversially right about literally anything?

Ferris

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 11, 2020, 03:43:40 AM
Apparently it was also some weird amalgamation of different law enforcement agencies, like prison guards and stuff? Very suspicious.

From what little I know about these things, tactical units of these enforcement agencies seem to be thrown together at short notice based on who's in the coffee room that day.

I think it is very odd that this was being pursued at a federal level. He was suspected of murder in Oregon, why would that be a federal thing? Unless he was considered an out-of-state fugitive and OR law enforcement requested federal help, but even then he needs to actually be charged with something and actively fleeing a court summons before you get marshals involved. Even without all that, this particular tactical team seemed very eager to shoot first and ask questions later. Almost as if they've had a nudge-nudge-wink-wink "briefing" and they'll face no consequences if they should happen to need to use lethal force. Perish the though!

I've reached the end of what I know about the hodge podge manner of law enforcement in the US. Deeply strange place.

sambwel

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 11, 2020, 11:21:36 AM
No, BBC. It's a loosely-affiliated group of people who were opposed to fascism. Remember that? The thing that British servicepeople gave their lives to defeat? The thing that broke the British Empire? The last time in history when Britain was uncontroversially right about literally anything?

Opposing fascism is officially an extremist position, something something overton window

It's an unoriginal observation but I'll make it anyway: compare postwar western condemnation of communism and nazism and you get a rather disturbing picture of priorities and allegiances.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 11, 2020, 02:46:12 PM
From what little I know about these things, tactical units of these enforcement agencies seem to be thrown together at short notice based on who's in the coffee room that day.

What? For police to arrest a murder suspect? I guess maybe this goes to your point about it inexplicably being a federal task force, but I don't think local police normally bring in random Bureau of Prison lunatics to go serve warrants. Portland is a large enough city that I'm sure it has a $1,000,000,000 fancy SWAT team that could have arrested the guy in a tank.

El Unicornio, mang

One of my friends in Oregon took this pic while out and about yesterday

Blumf

I think that's the first use of the word 'punk' in that context I've seen since the late 80s.

C_Larence

Jefferson County grand jury have indicted one of the three police officers involved in the murder of Breonna Taylor. He faces 3 charges of "wanton endangerment" for stray bullets that entered other apartments. The other two officers have not been charged with anything, for murdering an innocent woman in her bed.

Before the verdict was announced a curfew was put in place, so people assumed it was going to be a bad result, but I honestly think this is worse than nothing. It appeases absolutely nobody.