Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:22:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oops.

Started by Icehaven, May 28, 2020, 07:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Was getting ready to go to do the weekly shop earlier at about 3, and could vaguely smell burning. Assumed it was someone having a bbq or a fire on the allotments behind our flats and didn't think much of it. About 5 minutes before we left, the fire alarm for our block went off, which it never has before although there was a workman here yesterday resetting it. I went down and switched it off, and it said it had been triggered by the sensors on the ground floor, which is just the entry hall to our flats, and another flat with a separate entrance. Obviously there was no fire in the entrance hall so I presumed it hadn't been reset properly (it's always going wrong and beeping) and thought that was that.

Went to the shops, cam back about 2 hours later and...there were 2 fire engines outside the building. Fuck. Turned out the pharmacy on the ground floor had been smouldering away, but luckily they must have caught it fairly quickly, presumably either the alarm went off again or someone noticed.

Worryingly it never even crossed my mind to link the burning smell and the alarm going off,  but in my defence I wouldn't have thought our fire alarm system would be connected to the pharmacy as well, and it just said 'ground floor', but one of the firemen told me there is a sensor for our system in there. In hindsight it makes sense as we're all in the same building, but still could have done with having pharmacy on the alarm unit too.
I'm a dipshit aren't I?

Bernice

You are a dipshit but I don't think it's uncommon. When 90+% of your interactions with a fire alarm are either a drill or a false alarm it's not surprising your default is to just shrug and ignore.

Pingers

The people in the pharmacy were presumably unable to do anything about it, having taken all the drugs.

Sin Agog

Flaming Pharmacies may have side-effects including drowsiness, nausea and slight heart arrhythmia.  Please consult a physician before exposure if you are over three months pregnant or have any underlying health conditions.

Sebastian Cobb

There was a small fire somewhere in my block once, I don't actually know where it was because it happened when I was at work, but it was enough to set off the consumer not-connected, fire alarms in all the flats including mine, at the top behind a fire door.

pigamus

Think of all those Chupa Chups in ashes!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: pigamus on May 28, 2020, 08:16:41 PM
Think of all those Chupa Chups in ashes!
Well now you've just made me sad.

Icehaven

Quote from: Bernice on May 28, 2020, 07:30:06 PM
You are a dipshit but I don't think it's uncommon. When 90+% of your interactions with a fire alarm are either a drill or a false alarm it's not surprising your default is to just shrug and ignore.

Well exactly. And it's always going wrong and beeping and fucking up the lights in the corridor so I just assumed it was bust again. What's weird is that the inside door to the pharmacy (which is always locked unfortunately) is right next to the alarm unit but I couldn't smell burning there at all, just 2 storeys up in our flat, where it smelled as if it was coming from outside anyway.

Mr_Simnock

I wonder what burnt hemorrhoid cream smells like?

Tony Tony Tony

Because of your negligence two fire engines had to attend. Had the conflagration been noted earlier there may well only have only been the need for one. This means there may well be a cat still stuck up a tree or worse an attractive lady in a negligee not being carried down a ladder.

I hope you are proud of yourself.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 28, 2020, 08:46:00 PM

ask yer da

Icehaven

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 28, 2020, 08:49:37 PM
Because of your negligence two fire engines had to attend. Had the conflagration been noted earlier there may well only have only been the need for one. This means there may well be a cat still stuck up a tree...

Noooo!! Fuckfuckfuck sorry puss sorry sorry sorry.
I like cats.

imitationleather

Medicinal cannabis wafting through the streets for days.

Icehaven

Quote from: Pingers on May 28, 2020, 07:36:24 PM
The people in the pharmacy were presumably unable to do anything about it, having taken all the drugs.
They were shut (close at 2 on Thursdays, so they can go home and take all the drugs). Which we did think was conveniently unfortunate and wonder if it's an insurance job. Pharmacies must be raking it in at the moment though no?

Cerys

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 28, 2020, 08:46:00 PM

Freedom.

Flatulent Fox

Quote from: Pingers on May 28, 2020, 07:36:24 PM

Not again ...