Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:50:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

OASIS ARE FUCKING GREAT AREN'T THEY

Started by itsfredtitmus, May 28, 2020, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

I DONT REALLY KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 28, 2020, 09:07:24 PM
I DONT REALLY KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Les Dennis advised to rein things in a little.

Captain Z

They're only the band Waters/Gilmour could have been.

Head Gardener

I've just sold my Oasis concert posters as they had been sitting in a cupboard unloved for years, paid for this months mortgage so not complaining

Funcrusher

SteveDave

Yes they are and I'm contending that "Shock Of The Lightning" and "I'm Outta Time" are two of their greatest singles.

The remix of "I'm Outta Time" is a banger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLeHiVNm-aE

madhair60

phantom_power

Quote from: SteveDave on May 28, 2020, 11:38:51 PM
Yes they are and I'm contending that "Shock Of The Lightning" and "I'm Outta Time" are two of their greatest singles.

The remix of "I'm Outta Time" is a banger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLeHiVNm-aE

Falling Down is a decent late-period track as well, and the remixes are good, particularly the Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble one

Psmith

They were better than average at the time but I should really have been listening to Radiohead.

phantom_power

Although I like their first album and its B-sides, parts of the second and the odd song thereafter, I totally agree with Price and Kulkarni on the latest Chart Music about their musical conservativeness, the fact that the Galaghers are utter cunts and the deleterious effect they had on music in the 90s and beyond

Coldplay were only the band
Quote from: Psmith on May 29, 2020, 12:30:56 AMRadiohead
could have been and by that I mean U2.

idunnosomename

their name is like what yer da would call his awful band

Jockice

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 28, 2020, 10:55:13 PM
I've just sold my Oasis concert posters as they had been sitting in a cupboard unloved for years, paid for this months mortgage so not complaining

Reminds me of the time when I managed to get an autographed copy of (What's The Story) Morning Glory? as a competition prize at the local newspaper I worked at through mutual connections with Alan McGee. I filed the copy expecting it to be a big article, you know maybe with a front page blurb. I mean they were the biggest band in Britain at the time. Then I went on holiday...

...and returned to find that some cretin had decided it was only worthy of being a two-paragraph 'blob' at the bottom of a page, not even with its own headline, instead attached to an article about some other much less popular group (I can't even remember who). I wasn't too happy about this to say the least. But this was just another example of working under wankers who thought they were cool because they liked Fleetwood Mac and Dylan and down with the kids because they had teenage children. Although if they'd bothered asking them they might have realised how enormous Oasis were at the time.

Despite the attempt to hide it, the contest had quite a few entries. I never saw the actual album itself as I simply supplied the winner's name to their publicity company and never received a complaint so I presume they received it. Bet that's worth a few bob nowadays.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Jockice on May 29, 2020, 06:58:09 AM
autographed copy of (What's The Story) Morning Glory?, Bet that's worth a few bob nowadays.

I don't think a fully signed copy has ever come up for sale but Liams's squiggle is one of the easiest to forge

Jockice

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 29, 2020, 08:53:56 AM
I don't think a fully signed copy has ever come up for sale but Liams's squiggle is one of the easiest to forge

I never actually saw the prize. For all I know 'signed by Oasis' could have consisted of Tony McCarroll's signature.

Replies From View

What is the person in the foreground doing with his left hand?  Was impersonating the background person's cock their idea of joking around with the album title?

Sin Agog

"You can have it all but how much do you want it?"

It may not have fit in their rhyming scheme, but they should have added a meek little 'for' at the end of that sentence, and for that crime and no other I turn my back on them.

Replies From View

Quote from: Psmith on May 29, 2020, 12:30:56 AM
They were better than average at the time but I should really have been listening to Radiohead.

Same here.  I ended up with Oasis' first two albums, Blur's Parklife and its follow-up, and Menswear's Nuisance.

I could have been listening to Radiohead.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

the science eel

Parklife is a fantastic album. Oasis might have been better with the anthemic singalong hits but Blur were magical for a short while.

the science eel

Britpop ranking

Pulp

Blur
Supergrass

Oasis

Elastica

everyone else

Replies From View

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on May 29, 2020, 06:58:09 AM
But this was just another example of working under wankers who thought they were cool because they liked Fleetwood Mac and Dylan and down with the kids because they had teenage children. Although if they'd bothered asking them they might have realised how enormous Oasis were at the time.

Having said that, it was funny when a certain local band made it big during Britpop with the same people claiming they'd known about and supported them for years beforehand. FUCK. RIGHT. OFF. YOU. WANKERS.

Utter Shit

Slide Away is just a ridiculously brilliant tune. The Gallaghers are a pair of twats but those first two albums are absolute gold, and Be Here Now is unfairly criticised too.

earl_sleek

fookin great band lads reel music from up north none of yer ariana grande jay z shite

jobotic

Dull unimaginative conservative shit. Did to rock music what Fatboy Slim did to dance music.

But who cares now?

Hand Solo

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 29, 2020, 11:48:36 AM
Slide Away is just a ridiculously brilliant tune. The Gallaghers are a pair of twats but those first two albums are absolute gold, and Be Here Now is unfairly criticised too.

Be Here Now is mostly shite, and the production is cack, some of the B-sides are good though like Angel Child but that's always been the case. They really should have kept a load of those b-sides on the backburner for album tracks and they would have kept churning out decent albums for a good while longer instead of splurging them all in the first couple of years.

Don't Go Away the big radio single off Be Here Now was a straight ripoff of a Real People song, most of their early stuff and Liam's singing style was taken from the Realies because they would let Oasis use their studio time to practice and had to show Liam how to sing using headphones on and keep time etc.

the

Quote from: jobotic on May 29, 2020, 12:03:54 PMDull unimaginative conservative shit. Did to rock music what Fatboy Slim did to dance music.

Yeah, 'made some in the 90s'.

Cool band, but what really stood out was Liam's finishing move, something I've never seen a fan manage to parry.

He walks up to the microphone places his hands behind his arched back in a stooped stance and opens his mouth like it's been glued together with cement for a decade and the cracks are finally showing, before a piercing 'SHHHIIIINNEEEEEEE' emerges and washes over you and anyone in the vicinity, with no sign of stopping, like a bullet from a gun.