Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:04:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

OASIS ARE FUCKING GREAT AREN'T THEY

Started by itsfredtitmus, May 28, 2020, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 29, 2020, 12:06:21 PM
Be Here Now is mostly shite, and the production is cack, some of the B-sides are good though like Angel Child but that's always been the case. They really should have kept a load of those b-sides on the backburner for album tracks and they would have kept churning out decent albums for a good while longer instead of splurging them all in the first couple of years.

Don't Go Away the big radio single off Be Here Now was a straight ripoff of a Real People song, most of their early stuff and Liam's singing style was taken from the Realies because they would let Oasis use their studio time to practice and had to show Liam how to sing using headphones on and keep time etc.

It's definitely over-produced and too dense - a result of ridiculous amounts of coke, according to the biographies I've read - and some of the songs try way too hard to be epic but I Hope I Think I Know, Don't Go Away (not heard that song you're referring to but will give it a listen, not exactly unknown for Noel to thieve melodies) and The Girl In The Dirty Shirt are all great and D'You Know What I Mean, All Around The World and Stand By Me are fantastic three minute songs inexplicably drawn out to about half an hour each.

I'm not saying it's a great album by any means, and it's a step down from the first two, but I still enjoy most of it, and for me it falls the right side of the "Oasis when they were good/Oasis when they went shit" line.

Glyn

Quote from: phantom_power on May 29, 2020, 12:34:05 AM
I like their first album and its B-sides, parts of the second and the odd song thereafter
That sums it up nicely.

The 'odd song' list is fairly slim pickings but I heard Fuckin in the Bushes the other day and that still stands up as a great track. As it's mostly samples and guitar (aren't the drums from a Hendrix track?) I assume it was something Noel did by himself. The combination of the thundering drums,  samples, 'T-Rex' backing vocals and guitar riffs are superb.

Replies From View

Best thing Oasis ever did was the commentary track on their DVD.

Don't know which Oasi did it but it was good. 

Head Gardener

when a promo 12" of Columbia (demo version) turned up in the post addressed to the radio station I nabbed it and played it out quite a lot as it's was/is great but the odd track aside it was all fairly steady from there on (for me) though I did see them a few times, Earls Court was memorable, Liam had that place in the palm of his hand. I won tickets to see them on The White Room with Mark Radcliffe through an Our Price competition and along with PJ Harvey and Weller, they were pretty fantastic circa '95.

Captain Z

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 29, 2020, 12:06:21 PM
Don't Go Away the big radio single off Be Here Now was a straight ripoff of a Real People song

Not doubting the 'influence', but Don't Go Away was only a single in Japan. It was an album track everywhere else and the singles were

D'you Know What I Mean
Stand By Me
All Around The World

Hand Solo

Quote from: Captain Z on May 29, 2020, 01:03:11 PM
Not doubting the 'influence', but Don't Go Away was only a single in Japan. It was an album track everywhere else and I never heard it on the radio in the UK.

It was a big promotional radio single in the USA I believe, and MTV video?

And yes, people go on about The Beatles being a big influence on Oasis, but only superficially in that they went on about them and put references to them in lyrics.. their actual sound came much more from The Real People, who produced all their early demos and shaped their sound, even an early version of Whatever (probably their most Beatley single) and came up with the string arrangement, this was way before they were even signed.

This radio show covers some of that.

El Unicornio, mang

Definitely Maybe is still a brilliant indie album, as is their B-sides compilation. Don't care for the rest though. I was a massive fan at the time though, had about 4 different Oasis t-shirts, Oasis calender, books, even got an Oasis birthday cake.

Captain Z

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 29, 2020, 01:07:03 PM
It was a big promotional radio single in the USA I believe, and MTV video?

Possibly, I changed my wording because I can't claim that it was never played on radio/TV, but I know that Noel seemed pretty set on DYKWIM being the lead single. According to Discogs there was a promotional US CD for Don't Go Away but no full release.

I still maintain that there is a very good album somewhere amongst the material they released around Be Here Now, particularly if they'd held back Acquiesce for the opener and not thrown it away as a B-side, maybe swapped in My Sister Lover, Stay Young and The Fame for Magic Pie, Fade In-Out and the title track.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Captain Z on May 29, 2020, 01:34:15 PM
I still maintain that there is a very good album somewhere amongst the material they released around Be Here Now, particularly if they'd held back Acquiesce for the opener and not thrown it away as a B-side, maybe swapped in My Sister Lover, Stay Young and The Fame for Magic Pie, Fade In-Out and the title track.

Agreed, their quality of B-sides was usually quite high even by the time of Be Here Now so they should have kept a lot of these stronger tracks back from all their initial singles for later albums, Noel was rather cocky trying to keep up with Beatles level of releases but they had 2/3 world class writers in the band vs just Noel writing on his own. Then when the coke etc took hold so they couldn't even maintain quality in the actual studio sessions they were not maybe but definitely fucked.

the midnight watch baboon

Their CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE is, like, really good.
Noel's HEROES and STREETFIGHTING MAN are okay but his voice was weirdly mixed if I recall.

I hear that the original drummer lives in the Sahara now, rolls around on sand dunes waving to tourists until camels are sent to stamp on his hands.

Jockice

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on May 29, 2020, 01:58:31 PM

I hear that the original drummer lives in the Sahara now, rolls around on sand dunes waving to tourists until camels are sent to stamp on his hands.

There is an argument (although I've only ever heard it from George Michael and - I think - someone on here) that Oasis were at their best when Tony McCarroll was on drums. Mind you, after Guigsy and Bonehead left I didn't like a single track they recorded so maybe there was something in it.

the midnight watch baboon

They were, I'd say, ice. Getting a more technically-proficient sticksman (is that a term) to "improve" your band is a pyrrhic move, like replacing a spluttery old engine mower with a battery one. Smoother, sleeker, shitter.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Jarvis looks ever more like he should be a Mark Heap character.

As an awkward weirdo, far too young for the pub, I inevitably gravitated towards Pulp over Oasis at the time. I can't deny, though, that Oasis sound ace after a few pints. Must be all the power chords and whatnot.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 29, 2020, 04:12:55 PM
Jarvis looks ever more like he should be a Mark Heap character.

More like that unfunny feller off " 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does " Countdown"", the one who plays the postie on that show from the mind of Ricky Gervais ( at least in that picture).

Crabwalk

Quote from: Jockice on May 29, 2020, 02:07:12 PM
There is an argument (although I've only ever heard it from George Michael and - I think - someone on here) that Oasis were at their best when Tony McCarroll was on drums.

It's true. He kept them more Slade-esque and prevented the band indulging Noel's pretensions to balladry and psychedelia which his songwriting was not up to.

Plus Alan White is a shit drummer. The worst fills since Fred West.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: jobotic on May 29, 2020, 12:03:54 PM
Dull unimaginative conservative shit. Did to rock music what Fatboy Slim did to dance music.

What did Fatboy Slim do to dance music?

the

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 29, 2020, 05:23:09 PM
Quote from: jobotic on May 29, 2020, 12:03:54 PMDull unimaginative conservative shit. Did to rock music what Fatboy Slim did to dance music.
What did Fatboy Slim do to dance music?

Quote from: the on May 29, 2020, 12:09:36 PM'made some in the 90s'

KennyMonster

The Culture Bunker

I did like that line about Andy Bell joining Oasis was like Herman's Hermits getting John Lennon to fill in on bass.

I mean, obviously it doesn't make sense in commercial terms, but still. I probably just like it because I loath Oasis and all they represent. Mind, it is quite funny to still see Liam Gallagher clones in Manchester with the same clothes, poses and (most laughably) haircuts they had 25 years ago. Not a surprise there's been fuck all decent bands from round this way in ages.

Sin Agog

Toniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, I'm a rock n roll
Quote from: sweeper on May 29, 2020, 07:01:29 PM

Sin Agog

Sin Agog

Replies From View

A rock n roll puckering anus

Oasis were a godsend for anyone who had dreamt for years of a way to give 'sunshine' eighteen syllables.

But I'd say that's basically the only thing they ever did.

Just one look at the Be Here Now cover told you all you needed to know about its turgid, overwrought contents:

Surely one of the shittest most unimaginative covers ever, probably cost them a fortune to have it made too.

Head Gardener

Twit 2

Their lyrics are some of the worst shite every to be committed to paper.

itsfredtitmus

I feel cleansed and validated whenever I listen to Oasis ❤️

Rizla

I quite like the 4-piece performance on Letterman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERMBvx-zBB8 

But when all's said and done, the odd good tune aside, they're AIDS gash.