Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:23:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

OASIS ARE FUCKING GREAT AREN'T THEY

Started by itsfredtitmus, May 28, 2020, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 29, 2020, 09:04:24 PM
Just one look at the Be Here Now cover told you all you needed to know about its turgid, overwrought contents:

Surely one of the shittest most unimaginative covers ever, probably cost them a fortune to have it made too.

You could do a quick photoshop job on that, put the sky in the swimming pool or something, and call it a Storm Thorgerson classic.

sweeper

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 29, 2020, 04:12:55 PM
I can't deny, though, that Oasis sound ace after a few pints. Must be all the power chords and whatnot.

You want to come out for a drink with me, pal.

Seriously, I'll give you a rum and play you Fela Kuti.

You'll shit a gizzard out.

I really fucking hate Noel's voice. Their cover of Bowie's Heroes is bad aids of the worst kind mostly because of his bellowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N202Kk1ifhI

popcorn

Quote from: Rizla on May 29, 2020, 09:58:35 PM
I quite like the 4-piece performance on Letterman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERMBvx-zBB8 

Never noticed how much the intro sounds like The One I Love by REM before.

jobotic

Quote from: the on May 29, 2020, 05:29:09 PM
What did Fatboy Slim do to dance music?

Read the's reply, he's very proud of it.

the

Quote from: Fatboy Slim on May 29, 2020, 10:42:04 PMRead the's reply, Read the's reply, he's-he's-he's-he's-v-v-v-very proud of it

idunnosomename

Quote from: Replies From View on May 29, 2020, 12:42:16 PM
Best thing Oasis ever did was the commentary track on their DVD.

Don't know which Oasi did it but it was good.
noel. I think I got this from here? it's genuinely fucking hilarious though. and this is a good edit of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caB5RoaBvsI

"I wasn't here this day because I just couldn't fucking be arsed"

"I fuckin hate videos. i fuckin hate you need to be there 8 in the morning. and the blokes making it think they're making fucking Apocalypse Now"

"that's not an actual record player by the way and he's not a real clown"

"is that a man... made of SAUSAGES?!?!"

Brundle-Fly

This is their finest moment. I love it. It's a Mogadon version of Let Me Entertain You   (via Pinball Wizard)'?

The irony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC__5_3dK7Q

Glitch King

They're ok. Mainly nostalgia for me

grainger

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 29, 2020, 11:11:24 PM
noel. I think I got this from here? it's genuinely fucking hilarious though. and this is a good edit of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caB5RoaBvsI

"I wasn't here this day because I just couldn't fucking be arsed"

"I fuckin hate videos. i fuckin hate you need to be there 8 in the morning. and the blokes making it think they're making fucking Apocalypse Now"

"that's not an actual record player by the way and he's not a real clown"

"is that a man... made of SAUSAGES?!?!"

No, that commentary is an example of what a dullard Gallagher is.

Sebastian Cobb

Was never a massive fan. Completely ruined by drunk bores singing along to them on pub jukeboxes for the past 30 yeas.

Dusty Substance

Oasis may not have been working class themselves but they were (and still kind of are) massively popular with the working class in a way that few rock bands have in the last 30 years. I'm talking proper working class, btw - Not the faux working class who read The Guardian and share articles about Jeremy Corbyn.

Spiteface

Can we at least agree, love Oasis, or hate them, that Liam Gallagher is now little more than his own tribute act?

I have out of curiosity, looked at some of his solo gigs on youtube, and at least half of it is Oasis material that he didn't write. Sometimes even doing the ones Noel usually sang. Some hardcore pandering, pretending it's still 1995 but he sounds significantly worse.

Yeah Oasis never shied away from playing "the hits" but I feel like even the Liam Gallagher of 1992-2009 wouldn't be pandering like he does now.

Then there was his comment on that demo Noel put out there recently about how it's "it's not worth a wank" if he's not signing and Bonehead isn't playing guitar on it. That's a nice way to throw Gem Archer under a bus.

I'm finding Noel's midlife crisis more fun, and Andy Bell is better off being back in Ride.

I was a fan, I sure as fuck don't want them back.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 29, 2020, 05:49:56 PM
I did like that line about Andy Bell joining Oasis was like Herman's Hermits getting John Lennon to fill in on bass.

I'm still not sure what happened there, did Alan McGee just send him a trough of cocaine and a stupid postman coat and hope for the best? 

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Spiteface on May 30, 2020, 02:18:31 PM
Can we at least agree, love Oasis, or hate them, that Liam Gallagher is now little more than his own tribute act?

I have out of curiosity, looked at some of his solo gigs on youtube, and at least half of it is Oasis material that he didn't write. Sometimes even doing the ones Noel usually sang. Some hardcore pandering, pretending it's still 1995 but he sounds significantly worse.

Yeah Oasis never shied away from playing "the hits" but I feel like even the Liam Gallagher of 1992-2009 wouldn't be pandering like he does now.

What's that line Noel said? "It's fine, I'm doing my thing and our kid is doing... my thing."

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I couldn't help but laugh at that Amazon advert Liam did last year. His Alexa describes him as "godlike genius", to which I thought, "Come off it. Even die hard Oasis fans don't think he's the genius."

Having said they sound great when you're all lagered up, I've just remembered that we could have watched them at Reading Festival one time (many, many years ago) but decided not to bother. Ironically, we chose to go back to our tent and indulge in further boozing. If I remember rightly, Primal Scream were on beforehand and there was no way Oasis were going to top their set.

RickyHamster

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 30, 2020, 01:56:57 PM
Oasis may not have been working class themselves but they were (and still kind of are) massively popular with the working class in a way that few rock bands have in the last 30 years. I'm talking proper working class, btw - Not the faux working class who read The Guardian and share articles about Jeremy Corbyn.

Oh you mean the 'proper' working class who are incapable of reading anything more than a Sun headline?

You patronising fucking dolt.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Captain Crunch on May 30, 2020, 02:26:13 PM
I'm still not sure what happened there, did Alan McGee just send him a trough of cocaine and a stupid postman coat and hope for the best?
I think McGee might have been out of the picture by then - I always put it down to Bell thinking "fuck it" and deciding to take the easy money rather than doing something new that probably wouldn't have got much attention. I'm sure I read at least one of the Gallaghers was a Ride fan, which may be how he got tapped up for the gig.

Quote from: RickyHamster on May 30, 2020, 02:45:00 PM
Oh you mean the 'proper' working class who are incapable of reading anything more than a Sun headline?

You patronising fucking dolt.
I didn't really understand the comment as surely the original Oasis line up were from a working class background, though Burnage was never the inner city slum it was portrayed as at times. Some even try to market it as "East Didsbury" these days.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 30, 2020, 01:56:57 PM
You're a complete moron

Spiteface

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 30, 2020, 02:47:34 PM
I think McGee might have been out of the picture by then - I always put it down to Bell thinking "fuck it" and deciding to take the easy money rather than doing something new that probably wouldn't have got much attention. I'm sure I read at least one of the Gallaghers was a Ride fan, which may be how he got tapped up for the gig.

Sounds about right.

Alan McGee had left Creation around the time Andy Bell and Gem Archer came into the fold. Oasis decided to set up the "Big Brother" imprint for future Oasis releases.

The Gallaghers asked him to join Oasis because they didn't want him joining Gay Dad, basically. After Hurricane #1 finished touring their second album, Andy Bell was going to tour with Gay Dad as a live guitarist. Then suddenly he was in Oasis and Hurricane #1 confirmed they were finished.

idunnosomename

What about articles about how crobbins laid a wreath on the grave of the ira?is that working class

bgmnts

I think they're a bit crap to be honest.

the science eel

Quote from: Spiteface on May 30, 2020, 02:18:31 PM

The Liam solo gigs I've seen on the telly have been absolutely fucking woeful. That's down to his band as much as him, I'd say - they look like a bunch of tossers and they reduce everything to a characterless mess, weedy and sped-up. And Liam doesn't give a fuck any more, clearly. That might have been an asset in the past - but not today, not with his money and the 'status' those songs have.

Am I the only one who prefers Oasis' second album?

pigamus

Like everything else from that era, liked them at the time, but beyond about 1998 I had no need to hear any of it ever again.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pigamus on May 30, 2020, 03:46:42 PM
Like everything else from that era, liked them at the time, but beyond about 1998 I had no need to hear any of it ever again.

Yet unlike a lot of stuff from that era, hear it again we have.

easytarget

non capisco

They've always left me completely cold. A bunch of bored looking blokes stood stock still playing music that sounds like a more knackered and charmless Slade. I also don't like how Noel Gallagher is now feted as some kind of droll wit when he still seems to me to be the mean-minded, ungenerous, socially conservative boring cunt that he always was. That said, Oasis did lead to one of my favourite ever festival experiences.

Benicassim 2009, apparently. Oasis are serving up some of their usual cold porridge on the main stage. Me and my pals are waiting in one of the other tents to see The Walkmen. Five minutes til their slot starts and there is barely anyone in there. Me, my four mates and maybe twelve other people. We see frontman Hamilton Leighthauser poke his head round the curtain, roll his eyes at the sparsity of the crowd and clearly mouth the words "Awww, shit!" They troop onto stage regardless and begin their set. It sounds fine but it also sounds like what it is, a band playing in a big tent at a festival in front of sixteen people. Dispiritedness is going to creep in to the sound somewhere no matter how much oomph you try and give it.

A couple of songs in and the band begin to be drowned out by some kind of chant coming from outside. You can hear the word "Oasis" in the chant so you imagine Oasis must be killing it on the main stage and their fans have gone wild. Maybe Noel walked from the left of the stage to the right at some point and the crowd were dazzled and overcome by the sudden change in kinetic energy. This must be just more salt in the wound for The Walkmen, drowned out by the fans of an act happening elsewhere at the festival. I willed them to carry on and let this shabby experience put more fire in their bellies, because The Walkmen are ace and don't deserve this.

And then the chant started getting louder and closer and it turned out they were all chanting whatever the Spanish is for "Oasis are fucking shit." Turns out Liam had chucked a benny about something and left the stage in a toddler's sulk halfway through the set, apparently a regular occurrence that year, their last as a band I believe. (That year as I have said was 2009.) So now the frustrated Oasis fans were looking for something else to listen to in the sudden absence of some dreary "I'm all right, Jack" quasi-Tory twat singing utter shite like "Slip inside the eye of your mind" thinking that was a good thing to say in front of people rather than a lyric so staggeringly poor that Ringo Starr would have immediately vetoed it for inclusion on his "Stop And Smell The Roses" album. Those frustrated Oasis fans had now all chanced upon the nearest tent to the main stage and suddenly it was absolutely fucking rammed. And what did The Walkmen then do? Took the ball and ran with it and delivered one of the finest sets I've ever seen any band play in my life. And the kids went wild.

Eleven (not ten) years ago that was, jeeeeez.

Crabwalk

That's a fantastic tale, thanks nc.

Spiteface

Quote from: non capisco on May 30, 2020, 05:28:26 PM

Benicassim 2010. Oasis are serving up some of their usual cold porridge on the main stage.   

Oasis ended in 2009. At least get your dates right before you go on an overly-long anecdote.