Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

OASIS ARE FUCKING GREAT AREN'T THEY

Started by itsfredtitmus, May 28, 2020, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
ahaha getting angry about Oasis FACTS

non capisco

Quote from: Spiteface on May 30, 2020, 05:36:44 PM
Oasis ended in 2009. At least get your dates right before you go on an overly-long anecdote.

Sorry Noel.

ollyboro

Oasis managed the neat trick of making some words thrown together at least sound like they meant something. Particularly if you were pissed up with your arm around a mate's shoulder. However, I have never understood why Definitely Maybe is held up as a great album. There's a couple of good sing-a-long songs on it, and Supersonic definitely made me walk differently in Blaises nightclub back in the day, but that's about it. Part of the problem is my CD of it sounds fucking awful. Tinny, scratchy, trebly - all the e sounding y's. A couple of months ago I was clearing out the shed and got Alexa to play Definitely Maybe through a decent portable speaker.....it still sounded awful. I don't usually pay much attention to production values, but in this case it's unavoidable. Is the sound of Definitely Maybe considered poor? Or have I been unlucky?

Sebastian Cobb

Dunno. They properly squeezed What's the Story Morning Glory. During some docu I watched the studio had just got a new generation of compressor and they wanted it to go as loud as possible "...it was in every pub jukebox in the country!".

imitationleather

Not listened to it for a long time but I reckon I would still really enjoy Definitely Maybe.

Everything else can piss right off, though.

Spiteface

Quote from: ollyboro on May 30, 2020, 06:14:23 PM
Oasis managed the neat trick of making some words thrown together at least sound like they meant something. Particularly if you were pissed up with your arm around a mate's shoulder. However, I have never understood why Definitely Maybe is held up as a great album. There's a couple of good sing-a-long songs on it, and Supersonic definitely made me walk differently in Blaises nightclub back in the day, but that's about it. Part of the problem is my CD of it sounds fucking awful. Tinny, scratchy, trebly - all the e sounding y's. A couple of months ago I was clearing out the shed and got Alexa to play Definitely Maybe through a decent portable speaker.....it still sounded awful. I don't usually pay much attention to production values, but in this case it's unavoidable. Is the sound of Definitely Maybe considered poor? Or have I been unlucky?

It's not mixed in a way that other albums at the time typically were, as Owen Morris purposely brickwalled it, and that was the mix the band preferred, after a few failed attempts at mixing it.

You're not unlucky, you just happen to not like the way the album sounds.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: non capisco on May 30, 2020, 05:28:26 PM
They've always left me completely cold. A bunch of bored looking blokes stood stock still playing music that sounds like a more knackered and charmless Slade.
I think I've said before how the first time I saw them on TV, presumably Top of the Pops, my dad shrugged and said they sounded like a crap version of Slade. Which is always how I judged them - as Liam Gallagher is nowhere near Noddy Holder's league as a singer and the (original) bassist and drummer were as basic as you could get, while Jim and Don could put down some great parts.

I'd probably now say a mix between a crap Slade, and the Ramones slowed down to the point of boredom. On the other hand, I do have some kind of respect/awe of how a band with such a terrible rhythm section managed to sell millions of albums. I doubt there's a song on that first album where you couldn't teach a child the bass line in 20 minutes.

DrGreggles

I liked 3 or 4 songs from their 1st album, 1 from their 2nd, and fuck all since.
In fact, I can barely remember how any of the songs after Morning Glory go.

I have a pretty good idea though...

jobotic

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 30, 2020, 01:56:57 PM
Oasis may not have been working class themselves but they were (and still kind of are) massively popular with the working class in a way that few rock bands have in the last 30 years. I'm talking proper working class, btw - Not the faux working class who read The Guardian and share articles about Jeremy Corbyn.

Is this a parody of the middle-class music journalists banging on about Oasis at the time? I hope so.

Brundle-Fly

Yes, their appeal swiftly curdled, but a lot of people seem too reticent to admit they enjoyed the 'fuck you' attitude of those first Oasis singles in 1994.  If there is anymore benefit of hindsight or backpedaling on this, we'll be in an HG Wells novel.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 30, 2020, 10:49:30 PM
Yes, their appeal swiftly curdled, but a lot of people seem too reticent to admit they enjoyed the 'fuck you' attitude of those first Oasis singles in 1994.  If there is anymore benefit of hindsight or backpedaling on this, we'll be in an HG Wells novel.
Hated them then, and have never changed my opinion.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 30, 2020, 11:02:10 PM
Hated them then, and have never changed my opinion.

I was mainly indifferent. Supersonic is still better than anything by The Field Mice though.

Parklife!

Jockice

I'm quite fond of Cigarettes And Alcohol, Whatever, Champagne Supernova and All Around The World (although not the whole four hours of it obviously) and don't mind hearing Rock'n'Roll Star, Married With Children, Acquiesce and Don't Look Back In Anger. But the rest of their repertoire can go to hell. Especially the droning load of shite that is Wonderwall.

thugler

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 31, 2020, 09:32:46 AM
The original mix of the album is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDU3SgfDPGQ

That sounds pretty bad as well, think i prefer the finished article. I think part of it is absolutely terrible guitar tone. Just a dreary boring sound, some of their later albums sound even worse mind. They have basically dined out on the 5/6 big songs on those 2 albums for their entire careers. Catchy enough, easy to singalong to and that's about all that mattered. I still reckon their b-sides collection is solid enough though, easily a couple of their best songs on there. Haven't intentionally listened to them for about 15-20 years though.

jobotic

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 31, 2020, 03:19:18 AM
I was mainly indifferent. Supersonic is still better than anything by The Field Mice though.

Yeah right.

You don't want to mess with Field Mice fans by the way. The voice of the REAL working class.

Marner and Me

Charlatans and Stone Roses are far better.

holyzombiejesus

Horrible thicko music. Music to bully by.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 31, 2020, 05:22:41 PM
Horrible thicko music. Music to bully by.
You're the outcast, you're the undercLAAAAAAASS

Head Gardener

Quote from: Marner and Me on May 31, 2020, 01:40:36 PM

not really into any of this 90's stuff and looking through my albums I have Def' Maybe, Stone Roses debut, no Pulp and no Charlatans apart from a CD single of The Only One I Know,
in terms of rare vinyl collectability it's Oasis/Roses/Charlatans

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Marner and Me on May 31, 2020, 01:40:36 PM
They don't have it on though!

Strumming Wonderwall on a cheap acoustic was a one way ticket to fannyville back in the 90s. Probably still is.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 31, 2020, 06:24:35 PM
Strumming Wonderwall on a cheap acoustic was a one way ticket to fannyville back in the 90s. Probably still is.

The homeless buskers I usually hear playing it don't seem to be on any kind of sojourn to fannyville, though I suppose it being 25 years since its release that the market price of fannyville has gone down a tad.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 31, 2020, 09:32:46 AM
The original mix of the album is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDU3SgfDPGQ

Liam and Joe from Flowered Up's brother dropping comments on there.

bgmnts

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 31, 2020, 07:46:46 PM
The homeless buskers I usually hear playing it don't seem to be on any kind of sojourn to fannyville, though I suppose it being 25 years since its release that the market price of fannyville has gone down a tad.

They should probably adopt some Ed Sheeran guff.

Butchers Blind

Never understood all the comments at the time of how Liam was an amazing front man.  Looking at videos now its just not there is it?  Were people just caught up in the bright lights of their fame?

Hand Solo

Quote from: Butchers Blind on May 31, 2020, 09:12:38 PM
Never understood all the comments at the time of how Liam was an amazing front man.  Looking at videos now its just not there is it?  Were people just caught up in the bright lights of their fame?

It was mid-90s shoegazery times, he had a swagger and would put his hands behind his back and lean into the mic and shout everything in an arrogant way, which I suppose was different at the time. And he had a good voice for what it was back then, until it got shot to fuck over time - Noel had to start doing all the falsetto parts on songs even early into their career, I dunno Noel said Liam wouldn't sing the high parts live because they were 'gay' so not sure. He did used to do more subdued performances early on, like this session for MTV Most Wanted. Certainly his voice going to fuck wasn't such a massive issue for die-hard fans as they're all pissed singing over the top of him anyway at gigs, it's just an expensive karaoke by this point.

the science eel

It was exciting, seeing him on the 6 o' clock news walking through airports with his long hair flapping everywhere going 'FUCK OFF' to journos. You still got old people going 'it's a disgrace'.