Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:32:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Larry Sanders Rewatch/Queries

Started by Satchmo Distel, May 29, 2020, 09:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So, I just started a rewatch today.

Episode 1: top joke is about J**** H****. Shandling can act very well: his timing is awesome throughout, as is his use of eye moment when he's getting his swollen face fixed. I was a little confused about the ending: why was Arthur able to threaten violence and why does Larry change his mind at the very end?

At the risk of sexism, there are many beautiful women in this, but Penny Johnson is just awesome: owns the screen every time she's in frame.

Hank the Rapper

I always took it as Archie just taking charge, standing up to the Korean woman (sorry, can't remember her name, but it's a good joke) in front of Sheldon, who he's seen to have a good, old-boys style friendship with. She wouldn't take Larry's abhorrence to doing the in-show commercials seriously, but Archie can break out the camaraderie with Sheldon himself and protect Larry from doing the commercial schtick.

Likewise at the very end, Larry weakly attempting to save face with Sheldon by insincerely mewling "If there's anything else I can do..." and being immediately called up on it leads to a helpless Larry asking Archie to help him out of this mess again. He's not changing his mind, he's just feigning concern and falling back to Daddy Archie when it goes to shit.

Quite good for a first episode.

"America... and everything she stands for."

Mister Six

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 29, 2020, 09:16:54 PMEpisode 1: top joke is about J**** H****.

Jonah Hill? Jeremy Hardy? Jeffrey Harcher?

McChesney Duntz

Artie, dammit, not Archie. Which reminds me of an odd detail that only occured to me recently: unless I'm mistaken, with the necessary exception of Larry and Hank, I don't believe we learn the surnames of any of the other characters. (Sarah Silverman's writer character near the end of the run is an exception, but again, it's only because she appears on the chat show at one point as a guest.)

MortSahlFan

This is my favorite show ever, but I don't remember "J**** H****" off-hand. My first instinct is to think of vulgar shit, but I just remember "The Garden Weasel", satirizing the sell-out culture, as well as the bitch who felt she had immunity to do whatever she wanted. I love when Artie confronts her about "Korea". I guess I love when people stand up to authority. Especially when it's not politically correct.

As for the end, I think Garry thought that Sheldon would just say "Oh that's alright" or at least not expecting Sheldon to go back on his word, as well as making Garry look like a good-guy; a "team-player".

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

lipsink

I think it's kinda half way into Season 2 that this show really takes off. I remember an interview with Shandling where he said they shot the very last episode for Season 1 first and realised the show needed more comedy so decided to put it last as it worked as a more serious episode. They didn't quite get the tone right for the first series but it's still a great watch. God, the 3 main players were fucking good. I know Hank is the scene stealer but I think Larry and his awkward smiles and laughs have given me the most laughs over the years

Hank the Rapper

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on May 29, 2020, 11:20:03 PM
Artie, dammit, not Archie.

Oh, bloody hell! So sorry, I've been watching through All in the Family recently, I must have just got mixed up.

Especially annoying as a pet peeve of mine is people GETTING BOND WRONG, and Larry Sanders is one of my favourite things ever.

It's what I'm named after, for fuck's sake.

mr. logic

My favourite joke in Larry Sanders is when Larry is fretting because a sketch doesn't work. He's at the barbers but it's him that's doing the talking when it should be the barber- something like that.

It's a dire looking sketch and Larry points out to Artie how it doesn't make sense. Straight as you like, Artie replies, 'I'm pissing my pants, conceptual flaw and all.'

It's such a perfect line. It's written beautifully- it's the type of way people still try to write 'snarkily' online but can't master- but it's also so revealing about how shallow and throwaway the whole late night show culture is, and how old school Artie is all about network ratings and keeping talent happy with zero regard to what Larry believes (or like to believe he believes) should be an artistic venture. It's also clear that Artie has clocked himself what a shit sketch it is- he's been in the game a long time after all, and isn't daft- but also realised how little it actually matters. It's such a great moment of characterisation.

And again it's written so well. The idea that you could have the critical facilities to identify a conceptual flaw but also be so amused by the stupid little thing that you lose control of your bodily facilities, as if the joke is so good that it's powered through regardless of its fundamental failings. I just love that. 

Abnormal Palm

Nice breakdown of a superb line.

Quote from: Mister Six on May 29, 2020, 09:58:39 PM
Jonah Hill? Jeremy Hardy? Jeffrey Harcher?

Jimmy Hoffa. "I think I just hit Jimmy Hoffa" (with the gardening tool)

Another one from Ep1: "I was in Airplane II" (Robert Hays)

Ep2 is interesting given how David Spade's career turned out. Shandling seems to have detected his real personality like he did with Gervais. Spade's manager and the double dealing had Brad Grey vibes, in retrospect, although Shandling didn't realize that at the time.

Blue Jam

Just started watching this tonight and it's ace. That is all.

Except: I love spiders, you bastards.

Series 1 guests include two future suicides - Herve Villechaize and Robin Williams. Both had severe illnesses in their last years.

When Larry's wife leaves him and his first wife returns to him, I'm not sure if it was just that they wanted an actress with a better comedy delivery. The first wife is a little more androgynous in dress and less clingy.

Larry in bed with Beverly is a real shock.

Series 2 episode 4: Phil Hartman. I only just looked up how Hartman died. How did I not know that?

Series 2 episode 5: Bob Odenkirk debut, aged 30. Some Saul Goodman in the performance but much more reined in.

Series 2 episode 6: Hankerciser.

neveragain

That's a bit harsh on Bob Odenkirk.

It wasn't meant to be derogatory. I just think Bob might have used a bit on this earlier character when figuring out how to play Saul, who in turn is not the same character as Jimmy McGill.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I want everyone who has thus far watched that episode where Jeremy Piven the gag writer gets sacked on Larry 's birthday agree with me  that it ends on a strange note  (hope what I'm writing isn't too much of a spoiler or anything for those types who haven't seen it yet). The ending being a none- too chuffed, drunken JP standing outside the window of the studio building, shouting out comments demonstrative of his anger towards Larry, and Larry seeing this then going back to his birthday celebrations, looking unsettled. No effort made at some kind of pay- off gag, just freeze frame and that funky theme music. A couple of the episodes end in this final jokeless way, always discomforts me slightly when they do.

neveragain

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 06, 2020, 02:18:48 PM
It wasn't meant to be derogatory. I just think Bob might have used a bit on this earlier character when figuring out how to play Saul, who in turn is not the same character as Jimmy McGill.

It was just a joke based on all the others meeting sad ends, it seemed funny Bob cropping up amongst them.
(This was pre-edit of course)

Blue Jam

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 06, 2020, 02:04:42 PM
Series 2 episode 5: Bob Odenkirk debut, aged 30. Some Saul Goodman in the performance but much more reined in.

Series 2 episode 6: Hankerciser.

I watched those two episodes last night and am currently sat having a beer in the park and there is someone here exercising with a tree and a piece of equipment that can be best described as a Hankerciser.

Bob Odenkirk as Larry's agent just steals every scene he's in. He's going to be playing charming sleazebags forever but I get the impression he's perfectly content with that.

I also noted the black suit with a black shirt and no tie- 90's "creative industry" uniform, that. These days I imagine agents are dressing more like Mark Zuckerberg.

Series 2 episode 5: Barry Levinson. I like

Series 2 episode 6: Hankerciser. Hank tells Larry off for being "back with that cunt" (the ex-wife). This is Jeffrey Tambor's best performance so far.

One of the editors of the series is called Leslie Dennis https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0102797/

Why is series 2 better than series 1? Apatow did not join until the beginning of series 2. The cast are established in their roles. Each episode has a clearer theme. Fewer domestic scenes.

"Can we have a guest that Donald Trump hasn't fucked?"

Blue Jam

Is there any way to watch all the episodes of this legally without paying £96.97 for the one boxset Amazon have left in stock? It isn't streaming anywhere, is it? Been watching it on YouTube but want to fill in the gaps, and Daily Motion don't seem to have episodes anymore. I'd gladly pay to stream this, arrrggghhh.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 12, 2020, 08:30:00 PM
Is there any way to watch all the episodes of this legally without paying £96.97 for the one boxset Amazon have left in stock? It isn't streaming anywhere, is it? Been watching it on YouTube but want to fill in the gaps, and Daily Motion don't seem to have episodes anymore. I'd gladly pay to stream this, arrrggghhh.

If you have a multi-region dvd player it's only £27.99 on Ebay, but if not I don't think it's streamed anywhere in the UK currently, annoyingly.

Blue Jam

The only DVD player in ma hoose is the blu-ray player in my Xbox. I'm pretty sure that's region 2 and I don't dare fuck about with that.

Cheers SMBH, I don't torrent stuff anymore and like to support artists when I can but this is like Mr. Show innit? Except not available on YouTube.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 12, 2020, 09:08:11 PM
The only DVD player in ma hoose is the blu-ray player in my Xbox. I'm pretty sure that's region 2 and I don't dare fuck about with that.

Cheers SMBH, I don't torrent stuff anymore and like to support artists when I can but this is like Mr. Show innit? Except not available on YouTube.

I think you'd be okay in this instance to steal it as sadly Shandling and Torn are dead, Tambor's cancelled, and the rest of the cast and crew probably won't get any money from the dvd sales.

Series 2 episode 13 is very acute on how Larry's 1st wife complains that Larry only ever wants to talk about the show. This surely is an admission by Shandling about his behavior in his relationships?

McChesney Duntz

That would be in keeping with his personal mission, so, probably, yes.

It's a bit weird how Francine just disappears from the show at the end of Season 2 - she runs out of the room when Howard Stern turns up at the house, never to be seen (or, unless I've missed something, even spoken of) again. But then, you've got to be willing to suspend a little disbelief even in a realistic-seeming show like this, from the impossible layout of the workspace to the fact that the writing staff seems to dwindle to one or two writers by the end of the show's run.

Series 2 episode 15 - Adam Sandler looks about 16.

There's a blog article on Season 2 which I'll read when I finish the season (the writer had MS and died on 31.12.2015).

http://eddieonfilm.blogspot.com/2009/12/larry-sanders-show-season-2.html

Sonny_Jim

Series 2 Episode 14 has Rosanne Barr and Tom Arnold, both looking extremely coked up.

I'm guessing that the gay comedian plot is a tip of the hat to the David Letterman/Bill Hicks thing.  Quite glad I started my rewatch on season 2.