Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:35:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Long-running anime series 🌹 [anime]

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 30, 2020, 07:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abnormal Palm

I barely seen much anime but I've loved the stuff that has clicked, all the big stuff really. Berserk, Ghibli, Otomo, Bebop, Haruhi.

I'm curious about the MEGA shows, though. One Piece, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach.

I've always been put off because I assume they're more for kids.

Are any of the big name infinite shows worth getting into?

Any other top tier recs for someone who likes Berserk, Ghibli and Otomo?

I have no issues with fan service or trigger warnings. The more the better to be honest.

C_Larence

Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood is well worth watching, but doesn't really fit in with the other shows as it only has 64 episodes. It's a miniseries compared to One Piece's almost 900 and counting episodes.

If you like Bebop I recommend Samurai Champloo, created by the same guy. Very similar show and dynamic to bebop, just with samurai instead of space bounty hunters, and lo-if hip hop beats instead of jazz. Very fun!
In terms of movies I suggest Satoshi Kon's work, especially Milennium Actress.

madhair60

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 30, 2020, 07:56:44 AMAre any of the big name infinite shows worth getting into?

No

Full Metal Alchemist is the perfect manga but the animes are both bloaty

The fact you liked Haruhi makes me want to recommend stuff like that but nawwww.

Try Gurren Lagann maybe.

Spiteface

I've never really wanted to check out One-Piece or similar. Too much of a commitment.

I have started getting into JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, having recently finished season 1, which is 2 parts "Phantom Blood" and "Battle Tendency", 26 episodes total.

Season 2, "Stardust Crusaders" is significantly longer, at 48 episodes. Next two 40-ish each. But I can cope with that, as I watch Tokusatsu, where your average show is 40-50 episodes, plus a movie or two and that's it. I love that simplicity. the other JoJo seasons are similar in length. Makes it easier to work with, and still nowhere near as long. Stardust Crusaders is where a big change happens in how JoJo works, though with the introduction of Stands as the power, rather than Hamon/Ripple.

You mentioned Berserk, so I have a thinly-veiled excuse for me to talk about some stuff, but the animated seasons of Garo are worth a look. Specifically the first season, Honoo no Kokuin aka Garo: The Animation. Some similarities with Berserk: Medieval Europe setting, funky demon armour (i.e. Garo itself), monsters and that. 25-ish episodes and a movie, "Divine Flame". Leon Luis is a good main character, up there with the live-action Garos for sure.

The third anime season, Vanishing Line, has a modern-day America setting, with an all-new cast (except the talking skull-ring from the first season who is now a motorbike) but still good stuff.

rue the polywhirl

Echo the recommendation for JoJo's bizarre adventure on Netflix, which I'm working my way through at the moment. Insanely evil antagonist, no let-up in the action and the over-the-top Victorian accents in the English dub make it a non-stop comedy goldmine on the side.

Abnormal Palm

Thanks everyone for the assorted recs and don't bothers.

Clarence, I should have mentioned but I love Kon, as well, and absolutely adored Millennium Actress. I've only seen it once but it was a perfect experience. I've almost never wanted to go back for that reason.

robotam

I love the One Piece manga but I've heard the anime moves incredibly slowly.

I would say the manga is worth investigating. It's an impressively well realised world. It's also completely fucking bonkers and really fun. Luffy is such a great character and is much more of a wildcard than similar main characters.

The length also yields some very satisfying moments and makes the important reveals very exciting.
It has also made me cry a bunch.

It's good!

bgmnts

robotam

Bently Sheds

Sheds Junior got us into JoJo's Bizarre Adventure when he started watching Golden Wind on the downstairs telly. Once he finished that, we went back and started watching as a family from the first series - which I found way too earnest in tone & the character design of tiny heads on giant bodies was offputting. Once the concept of Stands was introduced in Stardust Crusaders and the art style settled down, the whole thing kind of kicked up a gear & my enjoyment increased massively.

Overall, in order of preference:
Stardust Crusaders
Diamond Is Unbreakable
Golden Wind
Phantom Blood/Battle Tendency