Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,311
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Right Wing misinformation

Started by Alberon, May 30, 2020, 06:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Just got a bit of junk physical mail in my letterbox in the form of a sixteen page glossy magazine. It calls itself 'The Epoch Times' and its headline is "How the Chinese Communist Party Endangered the World". It goes on to state the Coronavirus or 'CCP Virus' as they call it (as in Chinese Communist Party) was covered up by the evil regime and threatens the world.

A little googling says this is from American followers of the Falun Gong religion and has produced far-right propaganda supporting QAnon and anti-vaccination bollocks.

It's a bit disturbing to see it turning up here in Berkshire, though, trying to feed on the chaos. The Chinese government is evil murdering scum, but I don't think this lot are any better.

Dex Sawash

My favorite chinese place had those free in the foyer. Loved reading the news of Falun Gong picnics in the park, always a paragraph about having left park with no litter, grass blades unbent, etc. Was newsprint in those days. See lots of ads on YouTube where a guy and girl talk about how great reporting in "Epic Times" is.

Dex Sawash

Alberon

Jesus.

"And take a look at this - the way I pronounce Epoch will fucking annoy you."

H-O-W-L

The fact that this is associated with Falun Gong is really more awful when you consider how legitimately awful Falun Gong practicioners in China are treated. I've heard it from more than one (non-US-FG) source that Falun Gong practicioners are specifically chosen for horrible fates as a deterrent when they're captured and put into the CCP system. Organ harvesting and well-documented drawn-out executions and the like. So there's really no good side to it as a whole, just fucking awfulness on all sides. And people have asked me why I'm so depressed lately.

steveh

The Epoch Times' French and German editions have also been pushing European far-right politicians like Le Pen / National Rally and the AfD along with the usual associated conspiracy rubbish. It's like the paper found an opening where they could get clicks and then ruthlessly optimised for that to try and get their core anti-CCP message out but then it completely consumed them.

QuoteThere was no conspiracy theory too strange for the staff of The Epoch Times Germany to believe, Albrecht found: chemtrail alarmism, Pizzagate, and discredited tales of children murdered by refugees all found a purchase on its pages. The paper wrote about Angela Merkel's big migration plan to transform German society by introducing refugees, a version of the "great replacement" theory espoused in manifestos left by mass shooters. "They say the normal people are not ready to get in touch with all these theories so we just spread topics like that from time to time in little portions," she said. 

This style of thinking mirrors that of Li Honghzi, a former trumpet player from China who founded Falun Gong and now lives in upstate New York. Honghzi has told his disciples that he is speaking from a "higher understanding" that "differs from the theories of ordinary people." In 1999, he told Time magazine that aliens taught humans science to control us spiritually. (He later said this was a Buddhist metaphor.) In his teachings, posted online on Falun Gong's website, he has dismissed the theory of evolution, described mixed race children as "physically and intellectually incomplete" and listed homosexuality among "bad deeds."

https://newrepublic.com/article/155076/obscure-newspaper-fueling-far-right-europe

A relative of a Taiwanese friend was recruited into Falun Gong while he was at university in Germany and they were extremely cult-like and exploitative in the way they behaved, using his isolation and mental health issues to manipulate him to do work and give them money. His family got so worried they had to step in and rescue him then ensure they could cut off all contact.

Falun Gong are also behind the Shen Yun dance troop that you see advertised regularly, which they use as a similar recruiting and information tool.

Buelligan

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 30, 2020, 09:34:09 PM
Ad capture from someone else's channel

https://youtu.be/_C05YGsu_lM

Fucking hell.  Reminded me somehow of this scene in Magnolia. Dialogue NSFW 

No cuck or beta would ever subscribe to the Enoch Powell Times, that's for sure daddio.

Buelligan

This is an insult to all our intelligence, more like.

I see their marketing's being done by the same lot that do the Jehovahs.  They probably share a target demographic.

Quote from: Alberon on May 30, 2020, 06:33:17 PM
Just got a bit of junk physical mail in my letterbox in the form of a sixteen page glossy magazine. It calls itself 'The Epoch Times' and its headline is "How the Chinese Communist Party Endangered the World". It goes on to state the Coronavirus or 'CCP Virus' as they call it (as in Chinese Communist Party) was covered up by the evil regime and threatens the world.

A little googling says this is from American followers of the Falun Gong religion and has produced far-right propaganda supporting QAnon and anti-vaccination bollocks.

It's a bit disturbing to see it turning up here in Berkshire, though, trying to feed on the chaos. The Chinese government is evil murdering scum, but I don't think this lot are any better.
Right Wing Disinformation and The Epoch Times aside, we do have to reconsider our relationship with China post COVID - 19 Pandemic surely, countless human rights issue, mass incarceration of Uighurs Muslims, Belt and Road initiative, their carelessness with deadly virus, let alone Huawei's intentions on our 5G network, and ripping up the Hong Kong Treaty with 27 years to go on it.

Is it time we stood up to China or are we simply to much invested?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

but where would we get our lovely cheap shite?

you know I wonder why the dipshits pushing the Great Replacement crapperie don't advocate for social programmes that might reduce the cost of having children, if they're so worried. Lots of people don't have kids or just have one kid because they're so expensive, both parents are working/away from home 12 hours a day because that's what the economy demands now, or both.

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 31, 2020, 06:11:45 AM
I've heard it from more than one (non-US-FG) source that Falun Gong practicioners are specifically chosen for horrible fates as a deterrent when they're captured and put into the CCP system. Organ harvesting and well-documented drawn-out executions and the like.

This is propagandistic nonsense.

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 31, 2020, 03:57:53 PM
Right Wing Disinformation and The Epoch Times aside, we do have to reconsider our relationship with China post COVID - 19 Pandemic surely, countless human rights issue, mass incarceration of Uighurs Muslims, Belt and Road initiative, their carelessness with deadly virus, let alone Huawei's intentions on our 5G network, and ripping up the Hong Kong Treaty with 27 years to go on it.

Gammon alert^^^

Cheap Shite born on the back of slave labour.

I'm proposing a 12.5% COVID levy on all Chinese goods from Jan 2021. Money to be used to repay national debt, and funding programs to re employ COVID affected Britons. Blow Huawei out and give the 5G contracts to new Brit tech companies - start up funded by COVID levy. At the very least get Johnson to shout a bit about Hong Kong and behaviour towards Uighurs Muslims

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 31, 2020, 04:38:28 PM
Gammon alert^^^

I've moved your comments to the ''Do you want to talk bullshit? Well, here's a thread for you!'' Thread. We can speak there about Gammon if you like. If not contribute to the thread.

sambwel

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 31, 2020, 03:57:53 PM

Not going to get bogged down in an argument about separating fact from propaganda when it comes to western reporting on these matters, but I'll say this: it's a bit rich for the UK (or US, or Australia, etc) to condemn even genuine human rights abuses occurring in China. Physician, heal thyself!

evilcommiedictator

And it is also rich to go down the workers' right path whilst still allowing companies to use slave labour from Bangladesh (amongst other places). Worshipping the pound is fun, but it's better to keep them offshore too, right

Rainbow Moses

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 31, 2020, 04:37:36 PM
This is propagandistic nonsense.

Weren't you the one who excused Iran executing gay people by saying "Actually guys, they don't execute that many gays, it's the US you need to worry about, ok", as if that makes it all right? (And last time I checked, the US doesn't execute people for being gay, so there's that.)

Some of you will rally to defend anyone as long as they're not the US or UK.

sambwel

Quote from: Rainbow Moses on June 01, 2020, 11:55:32 AM

I can't speak for anyone else, but for my part, I'm quite happy to have a good faith discussion about the failings of non-western countries. Emphasis on good faith, though. It strikes me that nobody talking about 'standing up to China' makes much of a fuss about Saudi Arabia, whose human rights record would make the Marquis de Sade vomit.

I almost left out 'Marquis de' there, before I realised it might be confusing. I'm off to listen to Diamond Life now.

jobotic

No one ever mentions the love that the right have for SA when pretending that the left are anti-semitic, despite the fact that anti-semitism is ingranined at the highest level and in school in Saudi Arabia. Mind you they don't mind Orban either.

Quote from: Rainbow Moses on June 01, 2020, 11:55:32 AM
Weren't you the one who excused Iran executing gay people by saying "Actually guys, they don't execute that many gays, it's the US you need to worry about, ok", as if that makes it all right? (And last time I checked, the US doesn't execute people for being gay, so there's that.)

Have no recollection of that post, but I probably pointed out that you are an ignorant buffoon who believes any propaganda about an Evil Enemy without much if any corroboration, and that it would not behoove Westerners to act high and mighty considering homosexuality was still a criminal offense into the 1960s (England), the 1980s (Northern Ireland), and the 2000s (the United States). In fact, several American states never voluntarily repealed their laws criminalizing sodomy but rather were forced to do so by the federal government. If you count the military, the last American laws criminalizing sodomy was not repealed until 2013 by Barack Obama.

Meanwhile the United States has the most egregious criminal justice system in the entire world.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

lovely cheap plastic crap that we just throw straight in the ocean

Quote from: sambwel on June 01, 2020, 03:02:12 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but for my part, I'm quite happy to have a good faith discussion about the failings of non-western countries. Emphasis on good faith, though. It strikes me that nobody talking about 'standing up to China' makes much of a fuss about Saudi Arabia, whose human rights record would make the Marquis de Sade vomit.

I almost left out 'Marquis de' there, before I realised it might be confusing. I'm off to listen to Diamond Life now.

It's money with both Saudi Arabia and China isn't it? I personally think we should stand up and expose both but that would cost thousands of BAE jobs and half the countries infrastructure budget and all our energy production. We're basically in too deep with both.

My boss in the previous company I worked for was Chinese. He was openly racist and constantly berated the MSM for being anti Chinese, he told me half the stories you hear on the news didn't even happen, he's lived in England for 40 years. He became a very good friend in the end, when challenged about his racism he used to laugh and deny it.

Used to go on and on about how lovely he thought Andie MacDowell was, something about her eyes. 

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on June 01, 2020, 03:33:34 PM
My boss in the previous company I worked for was Chinese. He was openly racist and constantly berated the MSM for being anti Chinese, he told me half the stories you hear on the news didn't even happen, he's lived in England for 40 years. He became a very good friend in the end, when challenged about his racism he used to laugh and deny it.

Gammon alert ^^^

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on June 01, 2020, 03:35:56 PM
Used to go on and on about how lovely he thought Andie MacDowell was, something about her eyes.

This particular point we can all agree on though.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 01, 2020, 03:36:30 PM
This particular point we can all agree on though.

Heh, I'm not convinced to be honest.

I tell you what though he very quickly identified that I have a penchant for round faces and now when I look back at everyone I fancy I see they have roundish face.  See Anna Kournikova, Charlotte Church, Debbie Harry, The Blonde One From Abba and Lisa Tarbuck.

Very clever bloke he was