Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,196
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Getting a reputation among family/friends for "being very serious about it"

Started by ASFTSN, May 30, 2020, 07:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

My partner is from a very close family that normally spend a lot of time hanging out with each other when there's not a global pandemic on (mine don't live nearby). In the last four weeks they've had an indoor birthday party for a 2 year old and another birthday party for someone in their 50s. Both occasions have been less than 10 people. There's plans for them to be hanging out again for lunch next weekend "because they can't just not see each other" - relatives will probably be staying over on this occasion too. The rationale has been that no-one's ill/they've driven and not got public transport/they haven't been hanging out with anyone else.

I've not been to any of these occasions because I'm a massive antisocial cunt the recommendations forbid this kind of thing. It's been made clear I'm not angering anyone by not attending and I've even had a slightly odd message out of the blue saying something to the effect of "we miss you and we're not pissed off you didn't come to visit"

I'm fortunate in a way since no-one is having a go at me or anything, but there's still this weird sort of vibe about the whole thing. Just me not attending isn't going to mean these occasions aren't potentially contributing to the problem, and my partner is still coming home after visiting and so is a vector. These are all people who would be the first to stand up and present themselves as supporters of the NHS but there's this sense that because a shambolic Tory government issued the recommendations, they aren't well thought out.

I'm starting to feel like the nerd that didn't sneak off for a smoke on a school trip because I was worried what teacher might say. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Sebastian Cobb

My parents seem to be more nonchalant about it than I am. Despite my mum being a nurse.

Definitely serious about the weekly pan bang though.

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 30, 2020, 07:07:00 PM
My parents seem to be more nonchalant about it than I am. Despite my mum being a nurse.

Definitely serious about the weekly pan bang though.

Your mum is serious about the weekly gangbang.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Mike Upchat

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 30, 2020, 08:01:47 PM
Can confirm, as can my seven pals.

It was fine to bring Happy, Grumpy, Dopey, etc but was it wise to bring Sneezy?

C_Larence

Yep, and once it's over and you didn't get it they'll ask "what were you worrying about".

jobotic

Quote from: C_Larence on May 30, 2020, 08:40:23 PM
Yep, and once it's over and you didn't get it they'll ask "what were you worrying about".

as you gaze across Corpse Mountain

Icehaven

Quote from: C_Larence on May 30, 2020, 08:40:23 PM

That's going to be the most annoying defence from those trying to justify why they couldn't be arsed/inconvenienced. If they personally don't know anyone who died or was seriously ill then it was all overblown, exagerrated, fuss over nothing. No fucking clue.

Emma Raducanu

No offence ASFTSN but your partner's family sound like a barrel of bell ends. Bet they all vote Tory.

EOLAN

Them phrasing things similar to  "we miss you and we're not pissed off you didn't come to visit" sounds like the most disdainful angry passive aggressive message. If they stated they were pissed off it would make me feel a lot more comfortable.

ASFTSN

Quote from: DolphinFace on May 30, 2020, 11:29:41 PM
No offence ASFTSN but your partner's family sound like a barrel of bell ends. Bet they all vote Tory.

None taken. But no, no-one in this group does.

peanutbutter

Think the photos from Durdle Door would be a good test on people tbh, if they're a bit taken aback by them, then they probably should know better than going back to normal, if they're not then it's probably a waste of time even trying to talk to them

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: ASFTSN on May 30, 2020, 07:05:13 PM
my partner is still coming home after visiting and so is a vector.

Do they go visiting separately or together?

ASFTSN

Johnny Yesno

timebug

I have a cousin, whose two daughters are both Nurses. She is absolutely paranoid about the lockdown. She has food delivered from online shopping, and spends hours wiping down each item with a disinfectant wipe of one kind or another. Then washes her hands about three times for five minutes a time. Her two daughters both live away, one being married,and the other living at her boyfriends house for the duration. I respect anyone who wants to be careful, but some of my cousins actions may well be taken as over the top. If the postman drops a letter through her door, her husband has to disinfect it before opening. Each to their own, but as I said, a bit paranoid I.M.O.!

Uncle TechTip

QuoteThere's plans for them to be hanging out again for lunch next weekend "because they can't just not see each other" -

This bit i don't get - why do they have to see each other? I bet they're on social media to each other 24/7 - why is that not enough? As someone from a not close family it baffles me. These people will be there after this is over - or if not, then is the time to take risks.

Captain Z

"because they can't just not see each other"

Snowflakes. Do they simultaneously laud the nation's "Blitz Spirit" and ability to pull through a crisis?

Cloud

I'm starting to feel like the nerd that didn't sneak off for a smoke on a school trip because I was worried what teacher might say. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Yup, but used to it, that nerd is who I've been all my life.

Never touched a cigarette or a recreational drug other than alcohol.  Plenty of times of "the only one wearing a cycle helmet" which now just becomes "the only one wearing a mask".  Don't care if people think I look a bit of a prat / a bit paranoid - got proven right once when I slipped on black ice, went over the handlebars and nutted the road.  Ended up with 3 smashed teeth and a fucked up helmet, instead of brain injuries.  Being thought of as "a bit too serious about it" is preferable to the alternative.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Play It Safe Paul shows everyone his intact head: 'in mint condition'.

Barry Admin

I had to walk away from my Mum there. She was dropping stuff around and was giving off about 'how I'm getting on' and then said "it's over!" She's a bloody nurse like.

I'd also refused to go out with her on a day trip this week and keep knocking back suggestions for what we might do on my birthday. Me and my sis are both still taking it really seriously as we have health problems etc.

I dunno. I think I'll just continue as is, to be honest. Blasé cunts get rona'd.

I've been in Skegness all weekend, as part of my bubble. My mum-in-law lives alone. So me Mrs Confetti and Confetti junior visited her. The Saturday was quite surprising, there were people everywhere. Some kind of biker meet. The fish and chip shops and ice cream stands were running as usual. Few if any masks outdoors. I got the feeling that people are no longer fussed about the virus.

Sin Agog

When people ask me where I've been off to lately and I reply 'nowhere, for four months' they just look at me utterly aghast, even though they know I'm doing it to protect the vulnerables in my homestead.   Even the nurse neighbour I was talking to through the window yesterday just stammered for a few seconds and started talking about the weather instead.  That said, I am going to scuttle off to an inaccessible part of the beach (unless you're a tricksy hobbit) at dawn on Tuesday when this next heatwave starts and just swim all day, then return hopefully late enough that there won't be too many people around.  Seeing something DIFFERENT for the first time's going to feel utterly bizarre, but I can sense a link in my psychological tertiary chain about to snap so I'm gonna do it anyway. 

timebug

I posted earlier about my Cousin who has two daughters,who are both nurses? Well the youngest daughter has just been infected after four months working on the wards with Covid patients. She passed it on to her BF and his father, (She has been living at theirs since lockdown started) All three had  a 'mild' dose, and have been tested; they are now all fine, but have definitely had Covid 19. They only felt ill for about three days, then a bit 'off' for another few days afterwards.