Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:04:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What kind of stuff do you like to eat? are you a foodie?

Started by Retinend, May 30, 2020, 10:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Me: carbs bacon and cheese with a lot of dairy for dessert. Vegetarian would be some day negotiable (in hell), but veganism would be an absolute living hell. Sorry cows.

This wasn't a real big cookathon, but I thought it foodie enough to start a foodie thread... the more I look at it the more obvious it seems just posh munchies fodder.

Buttered ciabatta bread with jamón ibérico, the flat round pérail cheese; spring onions, lamb's lettuce, dribbled olive oil and a little wasabi smushed at either end, with a turkish style 10% fat yoghurt mixed with cherry jam and a few arcs of the strawberry of metropolitan ice cream as desert, and a German beer I like, Berliner Bürgerbräu (like an ale, tastes fine if a little flat).

I had to look up the translation for "lambs lettuce". I feel as if it's not a thing in the UK?

Post pics and share your food GEAR too if you got any

GEAR

https://imgur.com/a/YnxBmRD

ollyboro

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Germany is of course quite good for pork products but have you found any digestive impact from transitioning from English/imported to UK products?

idunnosomename

i love drinking piss and eating those croissants you get in a big bag from aldi

Retinend

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 30, 2020, 10:25:55 PM
have you found any digestive impact from transitioning from UK products?

Yeah a positive kind: if you do as the Germans do and eat a lot of saure Gurken[nb]literally say "sour gherkins" in a comedy accent and you can speak German[/nb] and Sauerkraut with everything it's like a boost of "treble" to your pallette. Highly recommended.

On that note, I'm using sourer complements to my olive oil in my salad dressings these days: I think apple cider vinegar is the shizniz.

Speaking of acidity, I miss those nice white sour onions you could get back in England, though they lack the functionality of the sour German complements mentioned (the'd be a bit too malty to eat right there on the dish alongside "normal food", wouldn't they?).

Birdie

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 30, 2020, 10:25:55 PM
Germany is of course quite good for pork products but have you found any digestive impact from transitioning from English/imported to UK products?

Have you been served any grub in a violin case lately?

bgmnts

Veganism genuinely is a piece of piss, for the record.

Really into cabbage lately.

Danger Man

QuoteBerliner Bürgerbräu

Berliner TrainerBra more like.

Icehaven

Also a fan of smokey meats and cheeses, but I have zero sweet tooth so desert for me is either a cheese board or a cocktail. Bloody good chilli con carne is my favourite though, preferably cooked for as long as possible. I could drink it tbh.

madhair60

Sin Agog

Sin Agog

Quote from: bgmnts on May 30, 2020, 10:47:31 PM
Veganism genuinely is a piece of piss, for the record.

Really into cabbage lately.

Veganism genuinely is a piece of piss

Been really into water lately.

Sin Agog

(I hate how whenever vegetarianism is mentioned in pop culture, it is followed by a platter of raw vegetables, probably with small clumps of fresh mud on them).

Sin Agog

Veganism genuinely is a piece of piss.

Really into first stage eels lately.

(They only stop being vegan on the second stage).

monkfromhavana

I think like most people, there's a gulf between what I'd like to eat and what I actually eat.

If I only ate what I would like to, the world's fish population (Bream especially) would go into sharp decline.

As it is, it's a mixture of relatively easy stuff cooked fresh along with takeaways, pot noodles, sandwiches and breaded chicken.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 30, 2020, 11:24:11 PM
Veganism genuinely is a piece of piss

Been really into water lately.

Water is nice, but I drink that out of necessity.
I prefer peppermint tea or black coffee.

flotemysost

Quote from: Retinend on May 30, 2020, 10:42:55 PM
Yeah a positive kind: if you do as the Germans do and eat a lot of saure Gurken[nb]literally say "sour gherkins" in a comedy accent and you can speak German[/nb] and Sauerkraut with everything it's like a boost of "treble" to your pallette. Highly recommended.

Apparently Sauerkraut is recommended for people with digestive problems like IBS, something to do with how it's fermented. Same for kimchi. Probably wouldn't counteract the effects of drinking shitloads of really wheaty beer though (which is what I tend to do in Germany).

I enjoy most kinds of food and trying new things, it's one of the main things I get excited for when I go on holiday etc. but I'll go through phases of craving a specific dish/type of food, which is often triggered by something stupidly tenuous - like hearing a word that reminds me of it (e.g. I briefly worked with someone whose surname sounded a bit like Halloumi, and for about a week I couldn't stop thinking about those salty slabs and I felt like eating some cheese too ahhh). It's like a mild foody synaesthesia.

[removed]

Ray Travez

I'm trying to lose weight, so what I like to eat, and what I eat are two quite distinct things.

and shall be evermore...

Inspector Norse

thenoise

Quote from: Ray Travez on June 01, 2020, 02:28:50 AM
I'm trying to lose weight, so what I like to eat, and what I eat are two quite distinct things.

and shall be evermore...

Same.  I like curry, and everything crunchy and/or bready.  AKA 'savoury but fattening'.  I also love overeating to the point of mild physical pain.

My taste in sweet food is relatively sophisticated - dark chocolate, fruit in alcohol, little poncey tarts or artisan ice cream.  It's definitely a rarity anyway, I think it's weird how some people eat pudding every day.

canadagoose

As of late, due to "malfunctions" apparently caused by gluten and lactose, I've had to adapt my diet a bit. Rice cakes are honestly underrated; you can stick almost anything on them and they're better than gluten-free bread. Nice bit of mackerel, or just Flora Buttery (butter is nicer but again, ill effects). I still eat things out of the packet, like those Violife "cheese" slices, so I won't count as any kind of connoisseur.

holyzombiejesus

My wife's a coeliac so we all eat gf much of the time. Morrisons is so fucking cheap compared to other places. Like 1/3 of the price for pasta and pizzas. Bread is still overpriced cack though. Having said that, I'd love to stop eating bread for a while but we get 'normal' bread in for the toddler and it's just so tempting. Did really well eating sensibly yesterdayuntil about 10pm when I had 2 beers, half a bottle of wine and 2 pittas with hummous. :(

Replies From View

I'll happily eat to stay alive but never really experienced food being especially tasty or wondrous.  It's always just been a thing to stop me from fainting, and whenever people around me have 'yummed' with the deliciousness of a meal I've generally felt quite left out that they seem to be experiencing it at a higher level than me.

I either lack a capacity to experience food on the same sensory level or they're overacting for some reason.  Either way I feel a bit out of touch.

canadagoose

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 03, 2020, 03:02:28 PM
My wife's a coeliac so we all eat gf much of the time. Morrisons is so fucking cheap compared to other places. Like 1/3 of the price for pasta and pizzas. Bread is still overpriced cack though. Having said that, I'd love to stop eating bread for a while but we get 'normal' bread in for the toddler and it's just so tempting. Did really well eating sensibly yesterdayuntil about 10pm when I had 2 beers, half a bottle of wine and 2 pittas with hummous. :(
Ooh, that's interesting, I've not tried there yet. Going to have to have a look, preferably once lockdown is let up a bit again.

Fr.Bigley

Chicken wings, a shit load of chicken wings gripping in buttery Frank's. It's just. It's just...yeah.