Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:09:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What kind of stuff do you like to eat? are you a foodie?

Started by Retinend, May 30, 2020, 10:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Could just feed a baby gluten-free baguettes and cereals

Replies From View

worse things have been done in the entire history of humanity in the name of survival

Replies From View

You know what the vikings said when they were offered gluten-free garlic breads?

"WE DON'T HAVE HORNS ON OUR HELMETS ACTUALLY"

they said

obsessed with it

open goal to take the piss out of Viking Peter Kay and they missed it again and again

Janie Jones

Quote from: Replies From View on June 03, 2020, 03:03:31 PM
I'll happily eat to stay alive but never really experienced food being especially tasty or wondrous.  It's always just been a thing to stop me from fainting, and whenever people around me have 'yummed' with the deliciousness of a meal I've generally felt quite left out that they seem to be experiencing it at a higher level than me.

I either lack a capacity to experience food on the same sensory level or they're overacting for some reason.  Either way I feel a bit out of touch.

This fascinates me as I am the opposite, food is my waking thought and I love cooking and don't write 'eating out' Janie, this is CaB going to restaurants. You are certainly not alone, BBC R6Music DJ Steve Lamaq apparently has to set an alarm to remind him to eat so he doesn't die and I have a friend who takes no pleasure in food but just troughs down nutrients every so often to stay alive. I think it's fairly rare though, there are no human cultures that don't attach a lot of importance to food preparation and eating.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Retinend on May 30, 2020, 10:22:41 PM
...but veganism would be an absolute living hell.

Haha, mate ;-)

I was always a bit of a foodie (whatever that is), but I only became a proper foodie (whatever that is) once I went vegan!

PowerButchi

Ray Travez

Quote from: Janie Jones on June 03, 2020, 03:39:52 PM
BBC R6Music DJ Steve Lamaq apparently has to set an alarm to remind him to eat so he doesn't die

Heh! Is that true? It sounds like one of those urban rumours that go around. Although his physique would seem to bear it out. I remember Mark & Lard having a running joke about his daily meal being one peanut.

ProvanFan

Cloud

I like eating most things.  That's why I keep getting fat.

Emma Raducanu

I was friends with someone at university who post graduating became a foodie. He'd post pictures of his dinner on Facebook with captions like 'bet my dinner is better than yours' and he'd talk about having friends over who were 'lucky' to try his food. He and his wife would spend fortunes on eating out letting everyone know where they were going. Truly the most tedious of people. I deleted him years ago

pancreas

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on June 03, 2020, 03:25:13 PM
Chicken wings, a shit load of chicken wings gripping in buttery Frank's. It's just. It's just...yeah.

If you can find these things:

or better yet

Then you can have chicken wings on tap. Microwave for a minute while you heat up the oil, then deep fry till crisp and then yeet them into the butter & franks mix. They've even taken out the ulna so there's only one bone to contend with.

touchingcloth

Lamb's lettuce is a thing in British English - what do you can it in your native language?

NurseNugent

I'll happily eat to stay alive but never really experienced food being especially tasty or wondrous.  It's always just been a thing to stop me from fainting, and whenever people around me have 'yummed' with the deliciousness of a meal I've generally felt quite left out that they seem to be experiencing it at a higher level than me.

I either lack a capacity to experience food on the same sensory level or they're overacting for some reason.  Either way I feel a bit out of touch.

I am the same. I eat because I have to, but I don't get any pleasure from it. I am not a fussy eater and will make an effort to try new things but I find food related things, eating, shopping, cooking  a bit of a chore.   

Retinend

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 03, 2020, 10:08:59 PM
Lamb's lettuce is a thing in British English - what do you can it in your native language?

Oh I'm British, only I was apparently never initiated into the wonderful world of lamb's lettuce. I discovered the thing in France, where it's called "mâche", and here in Germany it's "Feldsalat" (field salad). So I somehow thought it was a European thing. Is it in all the shops like it is here?

Gregory Torso

I'm with you on this, Replies. Zero interest in food. Granted my tastebuds have been buffed into nothing through years of meal deal abuse, but most of the time I just stuff substances into my sexy cherub mouth to keep functioning. No interest in cooking, unless I'm trying to cook for someone else. The plus side is, I am an extremely unfussy eater, and can't think of anything that I won't allow into my body. Including you, dear reader.

I really love olives, though. If I could eat only olives, wine gums and Doritos and still live, then I would be as happy as a dad with a Tom Clancy novel and a dark chocolate bounty and a whole evening of Poldark ahead of him.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Retinend on June 03, 2020, 10:53:13 PM
Oh I'm British, only I was apparently never initiated into the wonderful world of lamb's lettuce. I discovered the thing in France, where it's called "mâche", and here in Germany it's "Feldsalat" (field salad). So I somehow thought it was a European thing. Is it in all the shops like it is here?

I think often it doesn't get called out specifically as lamb's lettuce. A greengrocers might sell it as such, but if you buy a mixed salad bag in a supermarket odds are it'll include sprigs of lamb's lettuce. It's a shame you don't see it as its own thing more commonly, as it's crunchy in the way that a lettuce is, but slightly peppery in the way that rocket is. I like to use it in things like burgers because it's got a pleasingly crunch texture yet has a different coefficient of friction from, say, a cos, so it doesn't tend to cause your pattie to slide out of your bun.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 03, 2020, 11:12:25 PM
I'm with you on this, Replies. Zero interest in food. Granted my tastebuds have been buffed into nothing through years of meal deal abuse, but most of the time I just stuff substances into my sexy cherub mouth to keep functioning. No interest in cooking, unless I'm trying to cook for someone else. The plus side is, I am an extremely unfussy eater, and can't think of anything that I won't allow into my body. Including you, dear reader.

I really love olives, though. If I could eat only olives, wine gums and Doritos and still live, then I would be as happy as a dad with a Tom Clancy novel and a dark chocolate bounty and a whole evening of Poldark ahead of him.

What is it you enjoy about olives?

I'm always surprised - due to solipsism more than any kind of moral outrage - when people say they experience fuck all pleasure from food. It's a bit like drugs - I can completely understand someone saying that they don't like a hangover or the feeling of being out of control when drunk, when objectively speaking (from my subjective point of view) drunkenness is fantastic. I can understand why someone wouldn't want to be a glutton for the sake of their gut, but I just can't grasp the idea of someone getting no pleasure from good at all.

I'm the total opposite. Foods to me are as compelling to me as drugs, and they almost certainly hit the same receptors in my brain. Take something as simple and appalling as a doner kebab; I enjoy the saltiness of the meat, the freshness of the salad, the heat of the chilli and onions, and the texture of the bread. It's not overstating things to say that I eat food in the same way as I take drags on joints, and my body and brain respond in the same blissed out way to both stimuli, the main difference being that the buzz from drugs lasts beyond the point where I take a swallow.

I'm not saying that it's wrong for you to not have the same reaction, I just find it interesting that there are people who have zero reaction towards something which is almost as pleasurable as an orgasm to me. Like I can eat a shite supermarket frozen pizza for tea, realise full well that it's shite while I'm eating it, and still get a rush of endorphins from the meal.

Paul Calf

^ I could have written that post. I love the fuck out of food and can't bear food and drink snobbery[nb](As an example, it's pretty standard hack comedy fare to mock Pepperami, but if the same thing was sold wrapped in brown greaseproof paper from a Deli counter or on a Christmas Market stall, people would happily pay twice the price for it. And don't get me started on wine woo)[/nb] but the downside of this is that I tend towards porkiness. I lost 50kg last year by basically not eating anything nice for about nine months. I survived but I'd find it impossible to live that way permanently.

You do get lamb's lettuce in the UK - it's often in bags in the produce section of yer big supermarkets, sometimes on its own but often in 'Peppery Leaf Mix' bags.

Hope that helps :)

touchingcloth

I'm the same with my eating habits and porkiness. My partner and I have cut down our weight a lot in the past 6 months essentially by only eating one and a bit meals a day - a bowl of muesli at about 1PM, fruit if we fancy an afternoon snack but we might grab something naughtier[nb]Please know that I hate this word as applied to food.[/nb] if really ravenous, and then a normal tea at 8-ish, no special considerations taken about calories, carbs or portion sizes, and then nil by mouth until 1 the next day.

It feels like the first time I've managed to make a proper lifestyle change around my diet, as I've tried fucking tons of different things over the years but always fallen off the wagon. The amount of meat in Atkins makes your body feel way worse than being fat does, the 2 days of hugely restrictive fasting in the 5:2 diet are hellish, and with anything involving calorie counting or portion control tends to see me slowly ramping up the amounts as the days and weeks go on.

The only real changes I've made are to have a breakfasty meal at lunch time - I hardly ever eat an actual breakfast and not eating until 1 has always been a regular thing for me, it's just now I've made an effort to only eat a small bit of cereal rather than a fat sandwich or a hot meal - and being ruthless with myself on snacks. My self imposed rule is to allow myself a snack, but only if I eat a bit of fruit first and still fancy it, which I often don't.

I can imagine your 50kg drop was horrendous. My love of food means that most diets don't work very well for me because they change my quality life for the worse. I could eke out maybe an extra ten years of life with hardcore dieting, but they'd be ten piss poor years, and they'd come after several piss poor decades.

I LOVE FOOD OM NOM NOM

Gregory Torso

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 04, 2020, 12:50:14 AM
I just can't grasp the idea of someone getting no pleasure from good at all.

I'm the total opposite. Foods to me are as compelling to me as drugs, and they almost certainly hit the same receptors in my brain.

I don't know, man. It's always been like this. Maybe my tastebuds are fucked. Food and drink are just fuel, just things to pour in so the body and mind keep going. It's not like I don't get pleasure or sweet endorphin kicks and rushes from other things: writing something good, hearing a piece of music that launches me into the cosmos, walking around an unknown city at night, etc. Just when it comes to food, it's always been 'oh i need to eat, better shovel something in there, right, back to doing something worthwhile' or whatever. I get high on creating things, exploring places, art shit and that.
I remember when I used to smoke, how much more enjoyable the cigarette after the meal would always be, moreso than the meal itself.

Standing in the supermarket aisle looking at all the absolute shit around me, wishing someone would just do my shopping for me. Putting things into the basket and taking them out, an absolute chore. Better get some frozen veg before my body withers up like an old acorn.

Same with being drunk. Love it, open up like a flower, gets me writing and thinking. Love bathing in that beautiful pool, being drunk, but not arsed about what I'm drinking as long as I get there. Drink Tesco box wine, drink Dom Perignon, same result. When it comes to beer, look at the highest alcohol percentage, don't fuck with anything less than 8%, what's the point. The threads that pop up on here about food, beer, etc, tend to provoke a mild exclusionary annoyance in me if anything, or bemusement that someone has different ways to scramble an egg.

I'm glad you get these rushes from eating, I'm envious, and it certainly seems like I'm in a minority here. I don't know what else to say about it.

Sin Agog

At least you keep it to yourself, unlike irritants like me who just have to cloud people's elation when they're having a foodie heart to heart by continually pointing out that the main ingredient in all these meals is saliva.

Retinend

'kin hell, 50 kilograms, Paul Calf? Good job. I once lost 15 kilos over the space of 6 months or so and it was thanks to the fact that I had a big bicycle trip to prepare for and didn't want to look like one of those fat guys on a bicycle. These days I'm a little pear-shaped and I'm stuck between dissatisfaction and complacency; currently around 5 kilos into the yellow on this graph (people diss the BMI but being officially "obese" (orange) was the thing that woke me up and sparked my aforementioned drop in weight - note that the span from green to orange is about 15 kilos):

https://imgur.com/a/JtVzPpN

I used to be amazed that you had those Jerry Springer type big-to-small-to-big people who lost a ton of weigh just to gain it again. Now I realise that since losing weight is exhilarating, time-bound and rewarding, it is (I stress, relatively) easy to do, in comparison with reforming your entire relationship with food to affect a permanent change of body weight, which is neither exhilarating, time-bound, nor rewarding.

Relevant to this: one of my most recently aquired foodie heroes is Adam Ragusea, who in a recent video compares his relationship to food to that of "chasing the dragon." He's so right, at least it's very true in my case. I have the same shameful habit of eating at night when no one is looking and I don't know how to explain it except by comparing it to a drug dependency.

In his own words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOpRDw90DwY&t=199s

And while you're at it check out his channel he's a great bunch of lads: he revolutionised how I make lasagnas, chop garlic, roast chickens and he finally convinced me to take the plunge and start making my own yeast doughs and make pizza with a pizza stone.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 04, 2020, 09:15:50 AM
I'm glad you get these rushes from eating, I'm envious, and it certainly seems like I'm in a minority here. I don't know what else to say about it.

I don't know - in some ways it's a blessing to get so much pleasure from something as simple and common as eating, but I do wonder what it would be like to be one of these people who gets pleasure from, say, running.

It's like wine. I enjoy wine, but my palate isn't educated enough to appreciate the difference between fine and great wine. Ignorance is, if not bliss, an effective way to stop yourself spending all your money on wine.

Paul Calf

Mate, I was way off the edge of that chart. My BMI was 43 on 14th February 2019. By the time I got on the plane to New York on 15th December, it was 25.

bgmnts

Thats genuinely impressive and a level of weight loss I didnt even think was possible without illness. I aspire to lose 40kgs in the next two years but I am wondering what nice food I can't eat doing that, that aren't chips or burgers etc.

Paul Calf

I also walked about 50 miles a week, which helped - you can walk yourself some treats.

I usually ate porridge or fruit for breakfast, lean chicken and salad or sushi and / or soup and fruit for lunch and some salads, seafood and fruit for dinner.

I'd have the odd apple or pear as a snack too.

bgmnts

I struggle with 5 miles a day to be honest with my joints so fair fucks thats extraordinary.

Paul Calf

I fell off the wagon a bit at Christmas and in NYC because of the sheer array of unbelievably delicious things that can kill you. I'm back on (just) now. After a while you build up a kind of 'muscle memory', a routine that leads to weight loss.

It's a hell of a fucking struggle until you do though.