Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:34:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

non-essential shops reopening

Started by weaseldust, May 31, 2020, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

As much as I take the piss out of Barrow and the droves that are always out within inches of each other, fair's fair, the general consensus in the facebook comments of the local rag is "not going anywhere near those shops mate, not yet"

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 15, 2020, 04:40:53 PM
Need to look at fridges in Currys. Was hoping to pop in after work, but they are shutting at 5. Why even bother opening if most people who are earning can't actually get into the store? Seems less like a viable business and more like a tech museum for bored people on furlough.

That's Currys for you.  Honestly I have NO idea how they're still in business.  Dozens of staff hanging around an empty shop full of empty boxes.  Almost anything you want is "we can't find it sorry / we don't actually stock that we only display it... we can order one for you".  I can do that myself and save about 20%!  Worthless place.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 15, 2020, 05:17:22 PM
Queues outside Primark too apparently. Fucking hell, Primark is terrifying at the best of times.
I did see a pass-agg post from a recent mother on twitter pointing out a lot of it could be recent parents 'cos kids grow quick and even a few quid between primark and h&m makes a difference when they're just going to outgrow stuff and poo in it.

Not sure it is though. Probably the same thrifty, yet desperate consumers that get up at the crack of dawn for the sales on boxing day.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: greencalx on June 15, 2020, 03:01:28 PM
Christ. First day shops are open in three months and the first place people go is fecking Sports Direct.

They are doing emotive TV ads now. Brave New World, indeed.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 16, 2020, 09:30:41 AM
I did see a pass-agg post from a recent mother on twitter pointing out a lot of it could be recent parents 'cos kids grow quick and even a few quid between primark and h&m makes a difference when they're just going to outgrow stuff and poo in it.

Not sure it is though. Probably the same thrifty, yet desperate consumers that get up at the crack of dawn for the sales on boxing day.

Primark's like a fucking religion. If you don't buy a £2 spangly top every week your life is meaningless and you have failed at consumerism. When they catch the rona, put them in a hospital bed that cost £3 and falls apart in 18 hours and they'll be happy.

lazyhour

Quote from: Captain Crunch on June 12, 2020, 09:31:26 PM
lazyhour how are you getting on?  Just seen an update saying Flashback Records are opening on Tuesday, have you decided yet?

We've decided to let people in by appointment only at the moment, starting on Friday. We're saying that people have to wear face masks and use the provided hand sanitizer too. People *really* want to come to the shop and support us (and buy records and comics, obvs!) but it's just too stressful trying to balance keeping everyone safe and having the shop open in the usual way.

I'll report back if all goes well. Or badly.

Billy

Walked down to Elephant & Castle to sell my old Samsung tablet (from 2013, so not long in human years but almost unusable in Android years) and was pleasantly surprised to find CeX completely empty, with no mad scrum of people carrying huge boxes of old DVDs/PlayStation games I was fearing. Massive queues outside the post office and bank with a hefty one outside Sports Direct though.

greencalx

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 15, 2020, 04:40:53 PM
Need to look at fridges in Currys. Was hoping to pop in after work, but they are shutting at 5. Why even bother opening if most people who are earning can't actually get into the store? Seems less like a viable business and more like a tech museum for bored people on furlough.

Don't really understand this need to look at fridges. They do have an online. I mean you won't be able to try the fridge on to see if you like it, but life is full of risk.

steveh

But if you go to the supermarket first you can then try a fridge out to make sure it all fits.

Small Man Big Horse

Just back from my first charity shop visit in three months, I didn't get anything as they had the same old shit that they did just before closing down, but it felt great to be back in one, like the world is very slowly and slightly returning to normal. I was expecting there to be queues for various other shops when I was out and about in Walthamstow to, and perhaps there were yesterday, but there wasn't any bar the normal ones for Sainsburys and Wilcos.

Captain Crunch

Excellent.  I need to go to an office on Thursday so I'm going to have a mooch round the town and see how it's going. 

Emma Raducanu

I have literally no desire to ever go to town again

Pranet

Walking through town after work I went into a shoe shop because it had massive Sale signs and I do sort of need a pair of shoes, so I am part of the problem. I had no plans to do this. There were big gaps in the sale rack though so they must have been ransacked yesterday. Didn't buy anything.

Sebastian Cobb

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pranet on June 16, 2020, 05:58:59 PM
Walking through town after work I went into a shoe shop because it had massive Sale signs and I do sort of need a pair of shoes, so I am part of the problem. I had no plans to do this. There were big gaps in the sale rack though so they must have been ransacked yesterday. Didn't buy anything.

Open toed sandals 3 for a fiver.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 16, 2020, 06:59:52 PM
This

Watched a vid of a guy cycling through a deserted Glasgow a few weeks back and all i could think was what a shithole it looked, even when it was empty and clean. Really not looking forward to going back.

The junkies were still there though, fucking cockroaches.

Captain Crunch

I find Glasgow to be one of the most beautiful cities.  My idea of heaven would be to spend a week with an open-top bus just knobbing about checking out all the art and stained glass and shopping and trying to find locations from VIDS. 

Captain Crunch

AND Glasgow was the only place I've ever seen a good busker; some kid who looked about ten churning out killer post punk riffs with a tiny little backing beat, could have even been a phone (real good feedback, and super sounding riffs. with his mild mannered look on, yeah he was truly hip...)

Danger Man

Quote from: Captain Crunch on June 16, 2020, 08:53:17 PM
I find Glasgow to be one of the most beautiful cities.  My idea of heaven would be to spend a week with an open-top bus just knobbing about checking out all the art and stained glass and shopping and trying to find locations from VIDS.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on June 16, 2020, 07:11:36 PM
Watched a vid of a guy cycling through a deserted Glasgow a few weeks back and all i could think was what a shithole it looked, even when it was empty and clean. Really not looking forward to going back.

I've not really been anywhere so haven't seen the centre all clean.

There's still shit everywhere here and the fly-tipping patch by the block opposite is bigger than ever. Some rag and bone types have had the cooker and washing machines away for scrap, so now it's just a pile of useless old furniture and shit.

Head Gardener

I sat in the queue for the tip at 9:15am (opens 10am) and had been there half an hour with over 30 cars behind me, I came here twice yesterday but the queue was so bad I just went home.
If the Northampton council opened one of the other 3 tips in the area there wouldn't be the chaos and inconvenience but they obviously don't give a shit...

Rich Uncle Skeleton

had to go into town for a prescription and Bath looked like it does on any summer's day. People everywhere, no masks, wonderful... Obviously if people are rushing to replace kids destroyed clothes fair enough but sod going shopping any time soon.

the only difference was all those tourist trap shops/cafes round the abbey were still shut so the courtyard was absolutely deserted. was lovely strolling through there alone in the middle of the afternoon.

Blue Jam

I've got used to clothes shopping online now. My last purchase was some trainers from the Adidas online store where they have a sale on. Once I'm back at work and the shops are all open properly I may just start to Click + Collect everything.

I do miss browsing for mad shit in TK Maxx though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 17, 2020, 12:54:51 PM

4th world problems

lazyhour

Quote from: Cuntbeaks link=topic=80565.msg4235411#msg4235411

Alternative viewpoint: they are human beings who have fucked their lives up, often through no fault of their own.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on June 16, 2020, 07:11:36 PM
The junkies people suffering from a complex disease of the brain and body were still there though, fucking cockroaches.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: lazyhour on June 17, 2020, 03:27:53 PM
Alternative viewpoint: they are human beings who have fucked their lives up, often through no fault of their own.

I don't really give two fucks about their back stories, life is full of decisions, and these cunts have yet to make a positive one.

I've had to put up with these cunts for decades, begging, openly dealing and injecting drugs, harassing people, gouching, fighting, causing trouble and generally being a fucking cancer on the City.

No thanks, get them to fuck.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 17, 2020, 12:54:51 PM

I went to the mall in Walthamstow today and most shops had a couple of people in it, but no queues, until I got to TK Maxx (or to be precise, about fifty foot away from TX Maxx) and the queue was ridiculously long, a good sixty or so people all desperate to get in.