Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:32:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trump sides with fascism.

Started by Kryton, May 31, 2020, 06:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 02, 2020, 01:25:45 AM
Not a clue! I suspect branding someone/something as a terrorist organization gives the DoHS more absurd powers to detain, and as they're a federal agency they fall under the remit of the idiot in the Oval Office so I understand why he's trying that. It's also a good branding exercise - I'm not ordering the military to indiscriminately shoot US citizens on the streets, I'm fighting domestic terror!

Sooo.... Correct me if I'm wrong this terror legislation does what? Overlap it?

Uncle TechTip

Is her authorising the well regulated militia of the second amendment to put down any "insurgents" they come across. The code says "militia or armed forces".

Kryton

Kryton

Still trying to figure out the legality of this and was hoping American members could help.

He needs to invoke the Insurrection act of 1807?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurrection_Act

QuoteThe general purpose of the Insurrection Act is to limit presidential power, relying on state and local governments for initial response in the event of insurrection. The Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the use of the United States Army and Air Force (which has also been extended by executive direction to the Navy) for routine law enforcement. Actions taken under the Insurrection Act, as an "Act of Congress", are exempt from the Posse Comitatus Act.[1][2]

The Insurrection Act is brief. It allows the president, at the request of a state government, to federalize the National Guard and to use the remainder of the Armed Forces to suppress an insurrection against that state's government. It further allows for the president to do the same in a state without the explicit consent of a state's government if it becomes impracticable to enforce federal laws through ordinary proceedings or if states are unable to safeguard its inhabitants' civil rights.

The language of the act currently dates to 1871, when the Third Enforcement Act revised it to protect African Americans from attacks by the Ku Klux Klan.

Without that authority troops cannot legally be on the streets right?

The Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 prohibits this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

QuoteThe Posse Comitatus Act is a United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385, original at 20 Stat. 152) signed on June 18, 1878, by President Rutherford B. Hayes. The purpose of the act – in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807 – is to limit the powers of the federal government in using federal military personnel to enforce domestic policies within the United States. It was passed as an amendment to an army appropriation bill following the end of Reconstruction and was updated in 1956 and 1981.

Kryton

Quote from: Kryton on June 02, 2020, 02:49:50 AM
Without that authority troops cannot legally be on the streets right?

The Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 prohibits this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

The law is meaningless when anything military related is involved. (Not hyperbole.)

Kryton

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 02, 2020, 02:56:56 AM
The law is meaningless when anything military related is involved. (Not hyperbole.)

So why are ex-vets supposedly rallying to dispute this? Why has it not been signed yet? Is Trump bluffing or testing the waters?

EDIT: What I mean is, if those supposed ex-vets have this opinion out of service, is it not likely some people of power in the US military also hold the same views?

Ferris

US federal law makes it illegal for US troops to act as law enforcement. I think you are right that it is due to posse comitatus, but there's also the third amendment to skirt around.

It's basically very, very unlikely unless trump wants to be the person who wiped 10 years of bull market gains in a year, unwittingly had 100,000+ people killed via COVID-19, and then ordered martial law in a manner that fairly obviously breaches the 1st and 10th amendment of the constitution, and all in an election year.

There's a ~30% minority of the US population that is so unbelievably dim and malleable that he'd still be a hero in that cohort, but that's not enough to win federal elections.

Head Gardener

chveik

Quote from: Kryton on June 02, 2020, 03:01:23 AM
So why are ex-vets supposedly rallying to dispute this? Why has it not been signed yet? Is Trump bluffing or testing the waters?

EDIT: What I mean is, if those supposed ex-vets have this opinion out of service, is it not likely some people of power in the US military also hold the same views?

he's talking shite for now I expect. but the army will do what they're told, constitutional or not, it doesn't matter.

Kryton

Gonna take a break from this, been up all night watching/reading/chatting on livestreams, listening to police scanners.

Made the mistake of mentioning the potential civil war on facebook and a pair of gobshite brexiteers are telling me I'm gullible and not to 'read the news too much'. And that the media are making most of it up.

Ghrgrghr

ASFTSN

Quote from: Kryton on June 02, 2020, 10:47:21 AM
Made the mistake of mentioning the potential civil war on facebook and a pair of gobshite brexiteers are telling me I'm gullible and not to 'read the news too much'. And that the media are making most of it up.

Had a friend tell me yesterday that I or most people in the UK have no more reason to care about this than I do other issues worldwide. "Called me out" for worrying about this when there's Uyghur re-education camps operating. Real weird way of looking at life in my opinion.

idunnosomename

makes u think. i was a trump supporter..... now im not so sure???????????

Barry Admin

Quote from: TrumpD.C. had no problems last night. Many arrests. Great job done by all. Overwhelming force. Domination. Likewise, Minneapolis was great (thank you President Trump!).

Fucking hell.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 02, 2020, 12:22:55 PM

makes u think. i was a trump supporter..... now im not so sure???????????

Why do people bother making these photoshops?

Quote from: Trump
D.C. had no problems last night. Many arrests. Great job done by all. Overwhelming force. Domination. Likewise, Minneapolis was great (thank you President Trump!).

Michael Gira isn't going to shag you, Donald.

idunnosomename

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 02, 2020, 07:01:42 PM
Why do people bother making these photoshops?
i have seen this so fucking much today as if it makes a great point. When the last thing hitler did was espouse to be a Christian publically. And also the book is completely wrong contrast and saturation and it looks garbage

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Ferris

chveik

Quote from: His Name Is Death on June 02, 2020, 07:04:27 PM
Michael Gira isn't going to shag you, Donald.

I lol'd

HitleRon is also a beauty

idunnosomename

+1 particularly for how bad the bit around the bill in the first one is i can practically see the selection markers

Endicott

idunnosomename

Yeah that too was the chortler for me

jobotic

idunnosomename

finally that this is a bunch of garbage boomers need to stop sharing is trending

https://twitter.com/i/events/1267915594856148992

and good old SNOPES
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hitler-holding-bible/

marquis_de_sad

But yet:

Trump = Hitler

Are you against math(s)?