Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:40:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee Patreon Podcasts

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 01, 2020, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 19, 2020, 03:16:45 PM
If Kath's family and friends have been watching, they might be concerned for her. She'll say she's big enough to look after herself but she's been absorbing a lot of passive aggression and misogyny from him in the last few weeks and now it's turning into open aggression.

I'll be amazed and very disappointed if she doesn't insist on a public apology as a condition of carrying on.

They're best friends. It's all part of the show.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 24, 2020, 11:17:16 AM
They're best friends. It's all part of the show.

I disagree you may be right; time will tell how long she sticks around.

thr0b

They're very good friends, and both are freelance. She wouldn't be there if she didn't want to be.

thenoise

Quote from: thr0b on August 24, 2020, 02:54:54 PM
They're very good friends, and both are freelance. She wouldn't be there if she didn't want to be.

Iain is there and he doesnt want to be.

Kath has more choices though, I think. She could have stayed at Talk Radio. Iain is stuck in the idea that he's still a celebrity, which is a status he both wants and hates.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 24, 2020, 02:32:16 PM
I disagree you may be right; time will tell how long she sticks around.

You may very well be right, I've not seen nearly as much of TLNA on Twitch as others have. There were certainly some moments on TalkRadio where he would talk over or ignore Kath, which she didn't seem to appreciate but I always assumed she was in on it  - But everyone has a breaking point. If she doesn't stick around, Iain won't take it well.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It's all a bit ghoulish really, all of this? I'm as guilty as anyone - I've just contributed to the thread - but it's not like the grim fascination of watching Glinner, an irredeemable cunt, petering away into nothingness. Iain and Kath are nice people, so it's all rather sad.

Yes, but, speaking for myself, I think this thread is an outlet for a feeling of loss that parallels opportunities we've squandered or had stolen from us in our own lives. It's not Schadenfreude. Lee is a public example of what we've gone through privately.

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 25, 2020, 12:47:46 PM
Yes, but, speaking for myself, I think this thread is an outlet for a feeling of loss that parallels opportunities we've squandered or had stolen from us in our own lives. It's not Schadenfreude. Lee is a public example of what we've gone through privately.

Good point, I know what you mean. I can relate to Iain in many ways.

thr0b

They say not to talk about them as they are not the show, but they talk so much about themselves that it's unavoidable.

We have a talented broadcaster who's disillusioned with the whole thing, but needs to keep his arm in while he re-trains, and will occasionally tell us that he doesn't want to be there. It doesn't encourage listening. We've also got another talented producer/broadcaster who could have stayed at Talk but didn't because she said it would be producing shows she would hate. Makes sense, fair enough.

As far as I understand it, based on things said during the show, the Twitch deal was initially intended for Iain, but they agreed to have Kath as well so long as he split his fee. So he's still working with his mate, but she's got a rise and he's got a cut. Their choice, but obviously doing the same job you always did for less money and with lower ratings is going to rankle.

On BBC Three Counties, there was a more rigid structure and sense of rallying against the system, which made the programme really stand out. The last two years of Talk and this show have seen more rallying against their own audience, and it's not been pleasant.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 25, 2020, 12:52:33 PM
Good point, I know what you mean. I can relate to Iain in many ways.

Iain Lee is utterly charmless though, and you're not.

Well that's very kind of you, thanks. But I find him likeable for the most part - he's not the smug git who hosted The 11 O'Clock Show, that guy is long gone.

Quote from: Jake Thingray on August 25, 2020, 01:13:55 PM
Iain Lee is utterly charmless though, and you're not.

Lee can be charming when he's in a good mood but he's rude when not, and lately he's been in the latter mode nearly all the time.

I think he still has the talent to be a good host but the demons he's carrying are stopping that talent coming through, and he's incredibly lazy when it comes to doing any preparation, almost to the point of self-sabotage.

Last night: long silences, shut down 15 minutes early.

thr0b

Oh dear.

And as they've had nights off and have to do 60 hours a month (they've said), this probably also means they have to do a longer show the next couple of nights AND extra shows at the weekend to make it up.

[Edit: tweets earlier in the day made clear it was going to be a quiet show. Any silences pre-planned. They've done similar shows before.]

Non Stop Dancer

This sounds like complete dog todd.

frajer

Quote from: thr0b on August 27, 2020, 12:40:54 PM
Oh dear.

And as they've had nights off and have to do 60 hours a month (they've said), this probably also means they have to do a longer show the next couple of nights AND extra shows at the weekend to make it up.

A compulsory 60 hours of joyless, frustrated interaction which results in a bad show for both the presenters and the audience. I used to really like Iain's radio output but this resentful Twitch stuff is so pointless and quite sad to watch.

I still think the 11 O'Clock Show really messed with his expectations in terms of what life should entail. Recognition and money are not givens at any point, no matter who are you. To expect high numbers immediately on a new Twitch show seems like a really bad way to approach it, especially when you're not really preparing any content.

bgmnts

Not being a cunt here but is he at risk of spiralling down and hurting himself?

thr0b

Didn't watch last night, but skimming through the stream it looks like it was a deliberately "slow" show; ended after 3:15, and was a defined end rather than a pissed-off ending of the stream.

His mental health struggles are well documented, but he seems to have enough things in place to prevent any risk to him.

Thosworth

The dichotomy of Iain Lee is the contradiction of 'it's all an act' with trying to be real and honest, and it's easy to spot when he's really upset with his co-hosts and when he's, for example, pretending to fire them.

In his post-jungle morning show TV appearances he tried to become an Andy Kaufman figure, wearing a neck brace and saying he was attacked by an owl or fell down a well, but contemporary TV hates that stuff, they look like desperate publicity stunts. They want people to wallow in their heartbreaking true life stories for three minutes before a quick and easy pasta recipe, like the time he walked off Matthew Wright.

He was far more open on the radio about his personal life problems, but you could definitely sense emotional waves, over periods of months when he was 'up' and 'down'. Unfortunately the Twitch gig has coincided with a noticeable down period.

The frustration is knowing what the show could be like with prep. Whenever he (very rarely) set up a quiz on his shows, that would inevitably 'go wrong', it was genuinely hilarious. He's currently blocking anyone who 'tells him how to do his job'.

thr0b

It always amuses me that people think the obvious bits (attacked by an owl, trapped down a well etc) were real. And a lot of people clearly did. The same as when he had Watko on as an "enforced co-host", getting angrier with him during the show and sacking him. People fell for it.

I think if talkRadio hadn't been acquired by Murdoch and/or hadn't drastically changed direction from what it was at launch, he'd still be there now, and he'd have been quite happy to see his career there, in the same way as Whale occasionally gets sacked but always ends up back there. He certainly got away with a lot on that station and I don't think any other station would have given him as much free reign if he wasn't popular in audience or with the management. But by the end, his show was a square peg in a round hole.

And he was totally right to walk off The Wright Stuff; he'd made clear his personal life wasn't to be discussed, they agreed it and then did it anyway. Completely sympathise with him there, and it does make you wonder how often shows pull this stunt on other guests who just tolerate it.

Ham Bap

He got away with a lot at TalkRadio, getting suspended for having a go at presenters on air, having an argument with James Whale on-air during the handover on his show, self promoting his Rabbit Hole shows on-air continually to sell tickets, taking last minute holidays and putting Kath in on her own as a presenter then demanding equal pay for her, refusing to change his show, for one off shows, when all the Brexit mayhem was happening last summer meaning stand in presenters had to be brought in.

Wherever you work you need to 'play the game' and evolve to stay relevant and remain in employment.

Grand if you don't want to work for a right-wing Murdoch station but put some work into your next show and build up an audience.

thr0b

The writing was on the wall when they stopped getting in cover presenters who would do a similar style of show (e.g. Rufus Hound, Tommy Boyd, Katie Pukrick with Kath had all stood in previously), and instead got in the likes of Christo and Howard Hughes, who would do much straighter shows.

It's a shame he didn't want to do the "straighter" shows when required; he was more than capable, as the 3CR shows proved, but I can't blame him; the station attacks right-wing knuckle-draggers, and to have that on your personal branded show is not nice.

MrMrs

He's so pathetic. Trying to watch one of his shows now, he shouldn't be on TV / radio / in the public eye.

The faffing about with the technology for the first half an hour is clearly now just a way of avoiding doing the actual show. He takes no calls until he's 30 minutes in, then there's a guest at 10.00 whom he only half pays attention to. Kath is just twiddling her thumbs so has brought the phone to occupy her time. Awful.

Huge sympathy for him tonight. He learned about Ian Royce's death while he was streaming and was already in a bad way due to doing a Channel 4 retrospective interview for the channel's 40th anniversary.

Was tonight's show cut short, then?  What happened? 

They didn't make it past the first 20 minutes. They said they were both struggling with various issues then Iain got an alert that his friend had died and they signed off for the night.

imitationleather

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 01, 2020, 10:18:10 PMdoing a Channel 4 retrospective interview for the channel's 40th anniversary.
November 2022?