Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:33:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee Patreon Podcasts

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 01, 2020, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham Bap

Highlights of tonight's show are still up.
https://m.twitch.tv/videos/728332078

Iain said a couple of times that he didn't know Ian Royce that well.

thr0b

I think Ian Royce used to call in now and then in years gone by.

Iain was quite miffed about his treatment over the 11 O'Clock Show over the weekend; apparently the production company refer to him as a co-host with Sacha and Ricky, rather than the main host and them doing Their Bits. Which he is right to be miffed about.

the

Quote from: thr0b on September 02, 2020, 09:48:45 AMIain was quite miffed about his treatment over the 11 O'Clock Show over the weekend; apparently the production company refer to him as a co-host with Sacha and Ricky, rather than the main host and them doing Their Bits. Which he is right to be miffed about.

If they're accurate about it, he was a co-host with Daisy Donovan.

Why does this even matter. Is he flagellating himself for never progressing to making some more notable TV by dwelling on such poxy little details. You'd think everyone involved in something as uniformly pisspoor as the 11OCS would be trying to scratch it from their CV anyway.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 01, 2020, 11:19:39 PM
They didn't make it past the first 20 minutes. They said they were both struggling with various issues then Iain got an alert that his friend had died and they signed off for the night.
Surely his contract with Twitch has a "host will occasionally attempt to be entertaining, and will also not bail on multiple shows because he can't be bothered" clause, and this will be axed fairly soon?

chveik

Ham Bap

He said before he has 60 hours a month to do.
But yeah the number of times he turns up to a show not bothered or cancels it early because he doesn't feel like it isn't conducive to building an audience.
He was still asking for Twitch subscriptions on Twitter today. For what? A half arsed show which he can't be bothered with.
I'm not subscribing (giving away my Amazon Twitch subscription) on goodwill, do a bloody show.

I feel for the guy, but this has seemed absolutely dreadful from the bits I've dropped dipped into.

Surely he needs to run it like a radio show with someone else monitoring the chat and having it built around guests, a phone in topic etc.

The only one who can get away with moaning about the audience and the technology is David Earl, and even then it only really works as Gittins.

Fair fucks he has his own thing going on and mental health is a big part of the conversation, but obvious contempt for the format and audience isn't a great way to sustain a living.

thr0b

I'm taking a break from it. The nasty streak of the whole show has carried over to this one. I don't need to listen/watch the host of a show having a go at his audience for talking about the show.

MrMrs

He's absolutely tragic. Today he tweeted:

Hello Radio stations

This is a little awkward but here we go.

In 2017 I won Best Speech Presenter. This year I won Radio Moment of the year.

Start of June I lost my job at talkRadio. No, me neither.

Do any of you have any cover shifts going? Just not quite making my bills

thr0b

Wouldn't describe that as tragic. That's a man looking for work and putting himself out there.

thenoise

You dont usually grumble about getting sacked on your CV...

frajer

I wouldn't say tragic, but I'd say the "No, me neither" does sum up the issue. He expects far too much of the world and the fact he isn't getting what he thinks he deserves is making him too bitter.

Everyone's entitled to a good old whinge because life is unfair and shit quite a lot of the time, but it's just having such a corrosive effect on the opportunities he does have. But then Lee probably knows this too.

Ham Bap

It was the most unsurprising thing ever him getting let go as ive said before.

Quote from: Ham Bap on August 27, 2020, 02:52:39 PM
He got away with a lot at TalkRadio, getting suspended for having a go at presenters on air, having an argument with James Whale on-air during the handover on his show, self promoting his Rabbit Hole shows on-air continually to sell tickets, taking last minute holidays and putting Kath in on her own as a presenter then demanding equal pay for her, refusing to change his show, for one off shows, when all the Brexit mayhem was happening last summer meaning stand in presenters had to be brought in.

Wherever you work you need to 'play the game' and evolve to stay relevant and remain in employment.

To that you can add the final year of the show Iain continually saying, as he does now, that he wants out and cant be bothered doing that day's show and cant be bothered radio/show business. The show became a prisoner to Iain's mood.
The number of times he cancels the Twitch show you wonder how many times he had to be dragged on air at TalkRadio.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: MrMrs on September 02, 2020, 11:32:12 PM
He's absolutely tragic. Today he tweeted:

Hello Radio stations

This is a little awkward but here we go.

In 2017 I won Best Speech Presenter. This year I won Radio Moment of the year.

Do any of you have any cover shifts going? Just not quite making my bills

I used to love the LBC shows, then followed him to Absolute, didn't bother with Three Counties but spent those years catching up on the old LBC shows and was then a dedicated listener to TalkRadio until a couple of years ago. He constantly goes on about becoming a better person but these kinds of tweets are pathetic.

I don't miss the nasty Iain of The 11 O'Clock Show, and I don't want new boring Iain - The Iain in between was funny, entertaining and seemed to know how to balance the silly with the serious.

thr0b

The 3CR shows were some of the best he's done; the podcasts are all online and well worth a listen. Local radio done in his style; like nothing else on a BBC Local station, and all the better for it. Probably the closest he got to doing a zoo format, without sounding like Iain Lee And The Breakfast Crew.

Quote from: thr0b on September 03, 2020, 04:56:55 PM
The 3CR shows were some of the best he's done; the podcasts are all online and well worth a listen. Local radio done in his style; like nothing else on a BBC Local station, and all the better for it. Probably the closest he got to doing a zoo format, without sounding like Iain Lee And The Breakfast Crew.

I second this.  Those 3CR shows were great fun (when he wasn't doing the more serious newsy sections).  The team around him were brilliant, and I was often quite amazed at what he/they got away with on a local BBC station breakfast show.  Definitely check out the podcasts if they're still knocking around. 

thr0b

Even the serious newsy sections worked well for me. I hoped some of that style would carry over to the  Talk Radio show; it was a tremendous mix.

And he was very unfairly dismissed.

bgmnts

Can his obvious mental health problems be used as a reason to cancel his twitch contract?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: MrMrs on September 04, 2020, 08:10:15 PM
Fantastic

You sound nice.

Quote from: bgmnts on September 04, 2020, 09:20:38 PM
Can his obvious mental health problems be used as a reason to cancel his twitch contract?

There must be something in his contract that allows leaves of absence caused by illness.

Twitch could just let his contract expire, as Talk Radio did. Or wait for him to walk away.

Iain underestimated the degree to which he has lost his desire to do this line of work. He can't force himself to do something he now detests. Many of us have been in that situation and found a way to keep going while we train for a new career, but he is clearly struggling to do that. He needs to find a very good therapist or very supportive romantic partner who might perhaps finance his degree without him needing to do this Twitch gig. Kath is in an impossible position: wants to be loyal but surely not at the expense of being on the dole at the end of this contract. She needs to start looking for work now, sadly, not in 9 months time.

I do feel guilty about continuing to watch this car crash but my heart does ache compassionately for a formerly great broadcaster.

thr0b

Someone over on Digital Spy has recently posted this.

QuoteThe vulnerable caller life-cycle

1. Really embrace them. Gushing in their support, told that they are welcome to call in any time. As they hang up Iain mutters to himself "what a nice guy".
2. They call in, patronised a lot. Subtly, use the call to reinforce how they are good people for listening to that person.
3. Three variables:
a. The caller addresses Iain throughout the call. Katherine appears disrespected. She changes the tone of the call.
b. The caller has become too needy.
c. The caller hasn't acted on previous advice.
4. In response to:
3a. Katherine makes it clear that she is bored with the caller. Makes a few digs...some zingers...some nasty one-liners. Iain seems slightly embarrassed but let's it go.
3b. Iain very sharp with them, instantly lost all empathy/patience.
3c. Real guilt trip on the caller....Iain and Kath are really disappointed with them.
5. They really challenge the caller. Very awkward.
6. Caller is gaslit and humiliated by them both.
7. Caller told not to call in again. Iain tells us "the callers always turn on us."

Think Alastair has been hovering at 3b for a while I think he may need to brace himself to be gaslit soon.

Fairly accurate.

It's someone who registered recently and posts only in the Iain & Kath thread, so may be another Alex Bellfield sock puppet account.

This time it's an accurate description of how these calls go.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: thr0b on September 06, 2020, 02:05:11 PM
Katherine makes it clear that she is bored with the caller. Makes a few digs...some zingers...some nasty one-liners.

Glad someone else has noticed this. She's nowhere near as nice as Eloise on Absolute was.

EDIT: I will add that Kath is a very good producer, is (was?) shit hot professional at her job and on the few occasions I rang into TLNA was nice on the phone and put me at my ease on my first call - So I'll put her "nastiness" down to being an on-air persona.

thr0b

I think she was a good producer.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: thr0b on September 06, 2020, 02:05:11 PM
so may be another Alex Bellfield sock puppet account.

All I know about Alex Belfield is that he seems to be one of Jim Davidson's few friends.

QuoteThink Alastair has been hovering at 3b for a while

Alastair always includes Kath in the conversation and makes it clear he is addressing them as a pair. He doesn't come across as needy. However, it's true that Iain attracts needy callers whom he treats callously; he wants to have a listener community but not to the point where he has to respond to their needs directly, and he lacks the tact to let them down gently.

Meanwhile about an hour ago on Twitter:

He's restarted his Patreon. Some of the comments in this thread are very harsh but I wish he'd just concentrate on making the Twitch shows enjoyable. It feels like he's already given up on it.

Big Mclargehuge

I cant say im a lifelong follower or anything, but I've watched his stuff regularly since at least 2015/2016 and as a rule; everything he's not been contracted to do has fallen by the wayside or died within 6-12 months of launch. The Rabbit hole podcasts were constantly being retooled and died after they did a live show in Glasgow that was a bit tense, then they retooled the podcast to make it a fortnightly cast where they went to a random location and just chatted for half an hour, then that died again.  there was a music/movie podcast that didn't go further than 2-3 episodes, then there was his "Man up snowflake" podcast which had 1 episode and now he doesn't know what to do with it.

it seems that unless theres someone steering him, or a very clear brief as to what a show involves. he just runs out of steam on any project he picks up...last night on his live stream he was talking about relaunching his Patreon but he had to keep emphasising that it couldn't have any overlap with the twitch channel...he's made it clear he's doing it because he needs the money and he was largely fishing for ideas for what he could do to make money on the platform...which is just totally the wrong approach.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on September 07, 2020, 11:09:15 AM
everything he's not been contracted to do has fallen by the wayside or died within 6-12 months of launch. The Rabbit hole podcasts were constantly being retooled and died after they did a live show in Glasgow that was a bit tense, then they retooled the podcast to make it a fortnightly cast where they went to a random location and just chatted for half an hour, then that died again.  there was a music/movie podcast that didn't go further than 2-3 episodes, then there was his "Man up snowflake" podcast which had 1 episode and now he doesn't know what to do with it.

He did a live thing years ago called "Clip Joint", where participents would contribute short video clips which they thought would amuse Iain and other audience members (a bit like the VHS fest that lead to Winnebago Man). That too died.  Then there was, the actually rather good Iain Lee vs. Radio, which was him talking about various snippets from the radio.

That's certainly part of the problem - Lots of decent ideas but too many different titles and show names.