Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:09:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee Patreon Podcasts

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 01, 2020, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mclargehuge

I've been listening for years, but the move to twitch has been quite interesting for me. I have worked in the film, TV and radio in the past and I currently freelance in performance enhancement on sites like youtube, twitter and twitch.

while the 2 have very similar elements, the way they work mechanically are totally different beasts. the way to grow a tv show is completely different than the way to grow a youtube channel. And what it feels like here is that they looked at their talk radio show and went "Right we did 3 hours on talk doing X,Y and Z. It worked there lets just move it wholesale over to twitch." Which just...isn't how it works. I think having that artificial boost for the first week by having them appear on the front page of twitch was a bit of a kiss of death as well, as it's hard to explain to someone that 3/4's of their audience in the first week were inflated. That being said; the pair of them have come to twitch with an established fan base, a promo deal from twitch and all the correct broadcasting kit right out of the gate. they couldn't really have come to Twitch with a better set up. and to be hitting roughly 1k live viewers a night in the first 2 weeks is really good...so it's a real turn off when Iain spends spends portions of the show sniping about how low the views are and telling people to fuck off.

That being said I have a lot of free time on my hands so I thought of some ways they could maybe improve the show, at least for now:

*Cut it down from 3 hours a night to 2 hours (At least for now). so either 9pm-11pm or 10pm to midnight. If they're contracted to make a certain number of hours of material a week; do a 2 hour Saturday show to make up the difference and maybe funnel any other due time into an hour chat/gaming show in the morning/early afternoon.

*Cut the interview time down - having a guest on for an hour of a 3 hour show is a total glass canon in the sense that if you don't like the guest they've got on, that's an hour of the show your disengaged with or have to tune out of. I've had shows this week where they've opened with a guest I don't like so I tune out and then forget to come back. bearing in mind that even on talk when they'd have a guest in "For an hour" they'd actually only have them in for about 30-40 minutes once you removed news, intro music, introductions, ad breaks, musical breaks from the timings. so I'd have guests on for maybe 30 minutes generally with 10-15 minutes run off if things get particularly good. and I'd also consider moving the interviews to the end hour of the show rather than the opening hour as that opening time is really supposed to be there to set the tone and audience expectations for how things are going to roll...opening with an hour of Bob Mortimer then doing 2 hours of abstract calls straight to air/talking about personal issues is total tonal whiplash which will alienate a good chunk of the audience.

*ignore the view count - I cannot stress that point enough. I always tell people not to stress about instant live view feedback because it doesn't matter. most videos make their greatest number of views in legacy (Post live) than they do when they're live. don't focus on making a good live show "in the moment" focus on making a good live show that'll still be good in a week, a month, a few years. I had a period of 3 years where I'd play to live audiences I could count in one hand. but I always went about them as if I wasn't making content to entertain the people in front of me, rather I was making content to entertain the guy or girl who stumbles on my content at 4am on a random Thursday. if someone finds your livestreams and decides to watch one and all they hear is how upset you are that noones watching, they arnt going to watch...not unless they're a masochist. That's not to say they cant be open with how they're feeling or if the vibe just isn't there on the night. But you can be selective about exactly what you choose to share with the people who're tuned in and support you.

*regulate the adverts - I don't know if this is possible or not, and I don't mind having ad's play periodically (It's less than the radio aired) but for the love of god if theres any way to set them to run either consistently on the hour or during quieter periods it'd save the show in so many ways. I can count at least a dozen times in the last fortnight alone where they've been in the middle of a call or Iain or Kath have started some epic monologue and just as it starts to warm up it'll cut to 5 adverts for subway, totally killing the vibe and leaving massive contextual holes in a show that's primarily built on in references and gags. even if they controlled when they went for breaks to cool off, and change track it'd be so much better than the current random drops they have in place.

and finally (For now) it's generally a good idea not to open a brand new show by announcing that your fed up with broadcasting and that your only doing this for another 2-3 years (If even that) because you need some time to build up some money to move into a different industry and to pay for your house and support your kids. Because the vibe this shows been giving off since launch is that this is the "Talk Radio "Victory lap" goodbye tour" not the start of a brand new project. hell it isn't even feeling like the continuation of the talk project at this point.it feels more like a greatest hits...in constantly reminding the audience that you don't really plan to do this more than a couple of years. they're basically telling people not to invest in the show because it's not going to be around for very long. it's a bit like when a show comes out and gets cancelled after 1 series. unless that show was literally some of the best shit ever produced most people wont really bother because if it couldn't make it past 1 series whats the point? its a similar mindset that'll keep new people off investing in this new show...

it's got the germ of a really good idea in the making, but it really needs to tighten itself up, let go of some of the baggage and embrace the audience/reality they're in.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I know exactly how Iain feels. I'll be 50 in five years time. I've been a journalist for over 20 years, all for naught. Total waste of time.

I cannot begin to imagine what I'll do for the rest of my life.

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 03, 2020, 01:33:44 PM
I know exactly how Iain feels. I'll be 50 in five years time. I've been a journalist for over 20 years, all for naught. Total waste of time.

I cannot begin to imagine what I'll do for the rest of my life.

Well you make me laugh on here, I know that probably doesn't seem that much to you. But when l'm having a bad day it helps.

I do feel for Iain, I was a follower of his Twitch from the beginning (ohh, get me) and I still think he has a lot to give to broadcasting.

Thanks, man. I hope you're doing okay, or ideally better than that. Really, ta.

Iain and Kath are great. I hope they carry on cruising in the free world.

Operty1

Yeah, that Friday night show was hard watching. I remember other times Iain talked to Kath like that on the Radio show, and once making her cry on air. I could see it coming after the initial buzz from him had died down from landing the Twitch show. I think before he even started it he was saying he was fed up with broadcasting and wanted out. It's hardly conducive to getting people watching and ingratiating yourself to a new employer. The show needs to be about something, i know they make a point of saying they have no material, but it seems to grate a bit when Kath is reading stories out of magazines while Iain interrupts her by saying 'mods can you ban 2piecejigsaw from chat' or 'less than a thousand viewers'. The old callers from the show appearing every night don't seem to help things either, Alistair can really suck the vibe out of a show with his voice alone. The ads they read out each hour can be a bit cringey as well. Waste management, family solicitors and security, all of which i get the impression are local to their own areas, and must baffle the average Twitch viewer. The radio show was one of the best things broadcast, but they really do need to come up with a format that suits the demographic of Twitch. I never missed a radio show, but i am drifting from this.

Ham Bap

Quote from: Operty1 on August 03, 2020, 05:36:13 PM
Yeah, that Friday night show was hard watching. I remember other times Iain talked to Kath like that on the Radio show, and once making her cry on air. I could see it coming after the initial buzz from him had died down from landing the Twitch show. I think before he even started it he was saying he was fed up with broadcasting and wanted out. It's hardly conducive to getting people watching and ingratiating yourself to a new employer. The show needs to be about something, i know they make a point of saying they have no material, but it seems to grate a bit when Kath is reading stories out of magazines while Iain interrupts her by saying 'mods can you ban 2piecejigsaw from chat' or 'less than a thousand viewers'. The old callers from the show appearing every night don't seem to help things either, Alistair can really suck the vibe out of a show with his voice alone. The ads they read out each hour can be a bit cringey as well. Waste management, family solicitors and security, all of which i get the impression are local to their own areas, and must baffle the average Twitch viewer. The radio show was one of the best things broadcast, but they really do need to come up with a format that suits the demographic of Twitch. I never missed a radio show, but i am drifting from this.

Yeah that's how I feel.
I was hoping with the 7 weeks from him leaving TalkRadio to starting Twitch he would put a bit of a format/show together.
Or maybe put a bit of life back into the whole thing.
But it's tuning in to watch Iain sit there and tell us repeatedly that he doesn't want to be there and telling the viewers to 'fuck off'.

It might be 'raw' and what the show is about but it's making me turn it off.

The first call tonight was far too long.

frajer

Quote from: Ham Bap on August 03, 2020, 06:50:47 PM
But it's tuning in to watch Iain sit there and tell us repeatedly that he doesn't want to be there and telling the viewers to 'fuck off'.

It might be 'raw' and what the show is about but it's making me turn it off.

There's "keeping it real" and then there's being passive-aggressive and snapping at people because you're miserable. Surely some effort has to be made.

It reminds me slightly of when people say "I speak my mind, that's just who I am" because they feel that gives them license to dish out insults and disregard other people's thoughts and feelings.

Annie Labuntur

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's been to a poorly-attended comedy gig and had the comedian take out his anger and disappointment on the people who actually bothered to turn up. Big Mclargehuge makes some good points in his post above.

frajer

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on August 03, 2020, 11:28:45 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's been to a poorly-attended comedy gig and had the comedian take out his anger and disappointment on the people who actually bothered to turn up. Big Mclargehuge makes some good points in his post above.

Not comedy but I always remember going to a Charlotte Hatherley gig and she was fucking vocally miserable throughout because her tour had been so poorly attended. But as you say, she chose to share this foul mood with the 100-odd people who had actually turned up to see her on her last night.

I'm not judging cos it's a very easy state of mind to fall into, but if you're feeling that way regularly then it's you who needs to make the change, not whatever audience you're trying to attract. I used to like Iain's radio show but this Twitch feels like a strange beast constantly hampered by the fact he doesn't know what he wants to do with it and that frustration bleeds through.

thr0b

Whereas last night, he was in a great mood from the off, and the show was vastly better for it.

Operty1

I agree, last night much more upbeat and a better show. Though back to shit posting about work on Twitter today.

https://twitter.com/iainlee/status/1290565578789355523

frajer

That's saddening to read, and I'm not sure why he posted that on Twitter.

I don't think it's an unfair email and good for him for chasing up the opportunity, but it's a bit much to get pissed off if a job isn't going ahead in an industry that's on its uppers right now. The PR firm who's organising it could be being dicked around too. Yeah they should have sent him a courtesy email, but most people don't.

It seems like The 11 O'Clock Show really messed up his expectations, by giving him a high-profile gig at such a young age (I think he said as much during those YouTube commentaries).

Operty1

I just don't know why he makes that kind of stuff public. He used to lament not getting more tv work, but you do wonder how many bridges he has burned behind the scenes.

thr0b

I think he tweets in anger, then later regrets it. Usually removes his tweets every few days in any case.

Quote from: Operty1 on August 04, 2020, 01:33:15 PM
I agree, last night much more upbeat and a better show. Though back to shit posting about work on Twitter today.

https://twitter.com/iainlee/status/1290565578789355523

The Twitter replies reassuring him he's doing wrong aren't helping to change his behaviour.

Tonight's episode has been very poor, I feel.

Ham Bap

I've stopped watching. It's not for me anymore. Think the last time I watched Iain spent half the night talking about and banning people in the chat. Can't be bothered anymore. Zero preparation goes into the show.
Life's too short waiting a year to find out if this will be any good. Doubt it'll be on Twitch this time next year, if it lasts that long.

thenoise

Cringe at old episodes of 11 o'clock show again, that was good.

It cant be worse for your mental health than this shit, and at least people actually watched it.

frajer

Quote from: thenoise on August 14, 2020, 08:48:02 AM
Cringe at old episodes of 11 o'clock show again, that was good.

I quite enjoyed the first few of those but then they went downhill rapidly. The main problem being that The 11 O'Clock Show stuck to a rigid format and was, a few controversial jokes aside, quite a boring show. Once Iain ran out of thoughts on the behind-the-scenes stuff, he was just cringing at the same things every week.

Retinend

I'm on the outside reading this thread. I mean, I know who Ian Lee and T11OCS was but what is this thing now? Some sort of twitch pity party for his failed career?

thenoise

Quote from: frajer on August 14, 2020, 08:56:33 AM
I quite enjoyed the first few of those but then they went downhill rapidly. The main problem being that The 11 O'Clock Show stuck to a rigid format and was, a few controversial jokes aside, quite a boring show. Once Iain ran out of thoughts on the behind-the-scenes stuff, he was just cringing at the same things every week.

The format needed some tweaking. For a start, don't take two hours to review a half hour show, one hour should be absolutely plenty (if that).  Don't rewind the best jokes to let us better appreciate them - we heard it the first time, and if we missed it, we are more than capable of rewinding the video ourselves.

I hadn't yet tired of him desperately trying to defend himself, and bitterly resenting the success of everyone he worked with.  I was looking forward to his efforts to defend himself getting more and more desperate.

And he can include whatever the hell he is doing now within this format, if he must.  Just keep it reasonably tight, hour long shows please Iain.

At the moment he seems to be talking about absolutely nothing, so it can't hurt to tie the format to a known brand, and have some basic structure to the thing.

frajer

True, them being two hours did not help. They're interesting curios but don't need that level of dissection. And he hasn't got the Limmy patter of being able to relentlessly over-analyse for comedic effect.

When he was already repeating himself by the second one, doing every episode seemed doomed from the start.

Operty1

Quote from: Ham Bap on August 14, 2020, 07:33:40 AM
I've stopped watching. It's not for me anymore. Think the last time I watched Iain spent half the night talking about and banning people in the chat. Can't be bothered anymore. Zero preparation goes into the show.
Life's too short waiting a year to find out if this will be any good. Doubt it'll be on Twitch this time next year, if it lasts that long.

Pretty much my thoughts. Absolutely no thought seems to go into this and it shows. Stopped watching a week ago. I'd be amazed if they are still doing this in a few months time. The chat talk and the endless banning/un-banning is just tedious to watch.

Quote from: Retinend on August 14, 2020, 10:06:07 AM
I'm on the outside reading this thread. I mean, I know who Ian Lee and T11OCS was but what is this thing now? Some sort of twitch pity party for his failed career?

No.

Anyway. I agree that Iain's 11 O'Clock Show deep dive, while an interesting idea in theory, didn't really work. He obviously realised that himself, hence why he knocked it on the head. He'd pretty much exhausted everything he had to say about it after the first few episodes, and there was no point putting himself through the ordeal of repeatedly apologising for things he said and did as a young man.

I've also zoned out of the Twitch show with Kath for all the reasons stated. I like Iain and Kath a lot, but the show feels so aimless at the moment. His heart's not in it. I hope he eventually works out what he wants to do with his life and career. He's a good lad.

He's doing it to pay for the counseling course (plus mortgage and child support), I would guess, but that money is only going to keep coming in if the Twitch gets good viewing numbers, which cannot happen when there's literally no prepared content. Even when he has guests, there are no prepared questions and the conversation just meanders unless the guest actually switches roles and starts to interview Iain, as Gail Porter did.

I enjoyed them looking at old episodes of Stars In Their Eyes, but that's obviously copying a Limmy format and they are just not as funny as he is.

The chat is a dead end and I'd rather they ignored it, to be honest. Getting wound up for 20 minutes because someone was trying to bypass the swear filter; or refusing to talk until someone phones in; or "we are only doing new callers tonight" (who of course are not there) are all self-defeating behaviours.

thr0b

The "new callers" thing is a standard routine he does however, which is meant to encourage people other than the regulars to call in. It's telling though that a lot of the people in the chat complain when he doesn't take callers, but don't call in themselves.

But yes, he needs to ignore the chat, or have his moderators highlight interesting comments to him. Don't let the chat lead the show, it should be the other way around, and it's too distracting.

Danger Man

He should auction a link to 'My Cock is Bigger Than Yours'

I'd bid.

non capisco

I am dying to see the entirety of the 'Crook and Lee' pilot. That's what will get people flooding in.

That's also risky because he just becomes an oldies act releasing out-takes from the vaults. And it exposes the career disparity: Crook successful and critically lauded as a writer; Lee the 'I'm A Celebrity' contestant who used to be very good on the radio (the Richard Herring to Crook's Stewart Lee).