Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:39:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee Patreon Podcasts

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 01, 2020, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
First half hour last night was hostile. Kath wasn't happy with his ranting.

Ham Bap

Tuned in for half an hour last night. The James Buckley interview was on.
They seem to be aggressively playing ads now.
2 minutes of ads, then back to the 'show' and back to ads straight away, show again then straight into ads. And so on.

I noticed it another night too. I know it's the point to get people to subscribe but every time I tune in to this show I get annoyed by something else.

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 18, 2020, 07:56:22 PM
First half hour last night was hostile. Kath wasn't happy with his ranting.
What was he ranting about this time?  Not the chat comments / viewer numbers again?

Chat comments about technical issues, which took up the whole half hour.

Ham Bap

Tonight's show end early at 11pm after an argument between Iain and Kath. Then a rant about viewing figures.
Anyone see it?

Was watching Limmy on 6000 viewers playing Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Iain had about 650 viewers at the time.

Yep. Looks like it's now been deleted.

It was Kath disagreed with him about a vid they were watching and he thought she wasn't concentrating and texting someone else.

Ham Bap

Would have been worth watching but glad I never bothered. Last thing I need after a full day of work etc is getting stressed watching that.

Might have said this before but I genuinely thought they'd spend the 6 weeks or so since leaving Talk Radio and starting Twitch working on a format to the show.
The guests too. Might be interesting for Iain to chat to his celebrity mates who we've heard on the radio show like Noel from Hearsay, Mike McCartney and Dick and Dom but yeah I'll pass.

Cold Meat Platter

He seems like someone you would purposely avoid for being hyper-sensitive and self absorbed.
This doesn't negate the fact that he might be lovely and a nice guy.
It's just that sympathy does not automatically translate into good "radio"

Noone owes him a career in the media, I'm afraid.

Yeah, sorry, my message last night was very rushed as was getting in bed.

I'm still a little light on facts as I had it on while gaming, so was concentrating on that more.

They were watching some clip on YouTube. From what I could tell it was some mobile phone footage of Iain hosting some gaming event. The event had hired some celeb in to play a game but he was crap at it. I didn't hear who it was.

Anyway, Iain was criticising the guy for taking a paycheck to play a game at this event when he clearly wasn't a gamer. Iain said he wasn't even holding controller correctly or half heartedly. I think the crowd were turning on this celeb and iain was trying to keep it together.

Kath said she didn't blame the guy for taking the money, she felt if people were going to give him money to sit a play a game then why not take the money and run.

This seemed to piss Iain off as he plays games on twitch. And if you were being  paid you should know what you're doing. But then what seemed to annoy him was that while he'd been watching the clip and stating his case, Kath had been texting. Kath said she'd show him the text but that seemed to annoy him more. She showed him it and I think it was to Noel from Hearsay who they'd had on earlier.

All the charters were telling them to calm down and that pissed him off too.

It then got incredibly uncomfortable with Iain asking what they did next, then telling Kath to do something, some awkarward silences, Iain saying he wanted to end the show, Kath trying to soldier on, then he ended the stream.

It looks like it was deleted a while later.

I love Iain and the show and I could be wrong but from what I saw/heard Iain did seem out of order. They often refer to each other as best mates and I imagine it was good friends having a spat.

Annie Labuntur

I hope he saw my "You'd never have seen Purves turn on Singleton during a live show".

He can be alright on the radio when he's in the mood, but yeah, this all sounds like the reason I stopped listening long ago.
If he's feeling vulnerable or having an existential crisis, he doesn't like to keep it to himself. So many times in the past I've flicked on the show and felt utterly depressed within half an hour.

Kath is lovely and it's sad to say but he doesn't deserve such loyalty.
He's a sympathy junkie, he's rung her dry. As others have said he's very self absorbed and bratty.
He's like a mid 40s lanky toddler at times and it's tiring.

I hate hearing him arguing with people, I know he's probably dialling up the cuntiness for entertainment value, but I still think that's him essentially, just a very petty, point scoring, easy to anger babyman.
So desperate for reassurance and so sensitive to criticism, it was horrible hearing him banging on and on and on about how he'd been to digitalspy again and read some disparaging remarks or hearing the latest chapter in the story of his ongoing beaten wife relationship with twitter.
Thing is, if he ignored all of it, poured all of his energy into doing his job, he'd be making fun radio that the same people would be praising.

I know how hard it is to get offline when you've previously gotten nourishment from being on there. There's no milk left for him, he's been sucking down black bile for a long time now and he just can't wean himself off it.

Having a constant text based critique of the show, seeing the viewing figures going up and down in realtime, it will literally drive him insane.

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: tubbsthespidergigolo2 on August 19, 2020, 09:12:45 AM

All the charters were telling them to calm down and that pissed him off too.

It then got incredibly uncomfortable with Iain asking what they did next, then telling Kath to do something, some awkarward silences, Iain saying he wanted to end the show, Kath trying to soldier on, then he ended the stream.

It looks like it was deleted a while later.

I was watching live and your pretty much on the money with your description (though I thought Kath was texting a family member or something because when Kath showed him the message his face dropped and he said "C'mon man, that's not fair to do that to me!"

Last night was VERY uncomfortable viewing. I know theyve butted heads before but the end of that stream was the frostiest I've ever seen the pair when they're together (Iain closed the stream by telling the chat to fuck off, before shouting "I DONT EVEN WANNA DO THIS FUCKING SHOW!" And then the stream died)

Neither of them have been on twitter this morning, which is unusual as one of them's usually active by now. Iains also deleted all his tweets apart from 1 which was an automated advert that went out after last nights shitshow. for a podcast released yesterday.

It appears that for whatever reason he just cant let the numbers go nor can he understand the idea seemingly that in order to be big on a new platform you have to build and grow. The show ended last night on around 650 viewers. That's still quite big numbers when you consider it has no planning outside of booking interviews and that the show large consists of regulars calling in and Iain ranting about how low the numbers are and saying he doesnt want to do this anymore.

My advice from an earlier post here still stands, but it's becoming increasingly more difficult to support what is clearly a show that solely exists to cheat twitch out of enough money so that he can go to college and get out of this.

franticplanet

He'll probably just play it off like they were doing a 'bit'.

thr0b

Aye, this is it. He HAS to ignore the chat. Let Kath feed relevant bits of it to him, and act more like the producer if she's not going to try and talk 50/50 with him. As it stands, he's doing the technical production, the bulk of the speech and all the while getting wound up by the numbers, the chat and that his heart isn't really in it.

The first half hour or so of Monday's show was spent with the chat complaining about the audio quality. Which largely seemed entirely fine to me, and at least some of which will ultimately be down to the individual viewer's computer/tablet/telly settings. The show sounds a lot worse on a telly than it does on a laptop, presumably as most people's TVs are setup to do all sorts of clever sound processing that is great for broadcast TV and films, but not for a straight mic-feed from an app.

It's not on the radio, it's early days - it doesn't need to sound like broadcast radio.

He's got a great setup; all he needs to do sound wise is do a test show with his chosen settings, watch the playback on a couple of devices and if he's happy with it, that should be it. If not, tinker and repeat.

For a show about nothing, for the first bits to be spent arguing with viewers about minor sound issues they're experiencing, it's off-putting to anyone not having those issues. Which IS the majority of people.

It's such a shame, as they've had some great guests; I switched off during Noel last night, but both he and James Buckley the night before were pleasingly open and honest in a way they wouldn't have been on a shiny floor chat show or a radio studio.

Huge potential, but huge mood swings. And it can vary wildly from really nice, to a really nasty environment.

Ham Bap

Anytime I've tuned in I've found it very catty and aggressive from Iain.
I agree about testing the audio bits but that would involve him putting work in BEFORE the show.
He's often said that he and Kath before a show have a Chinese or just sit and watch TV because they're great mates and that's what makes do.
Well this show needs some work done to it. Rocking up and not knowing how the audio sounds or constantly telling the audience to eff off won't grow the audience. Neither will getting Noel from Hearsay on the show or staring at the viewing figures decreasing.

I did watch the James Buckley interview and I was enjoying it but they flooded it continually with ads so I just switched off. I have an Amazon Prime sub for Twitch. Gave last months to Zafarcakes as he puts effort into his show, and it shows. Likewise Iain's lack of effort into this shows.

He really can't cope with the chat either, he could just cut people off on the radio but you can't ban absolutely everyone in the chat.

Unsurprising now that TalkRadio didn't extend his contract further, imagine having to pander to that ego.

thr0b

I don't think it's ego; it's insecurity. His reaction to Kath not paying full attention to him playing out a video showed that.

If Kath's family and friends have been watching, they might be concerned for her. She'll say she's big enough to look after herself but she's been absorbing a lot of passive aggression and misogyny from him in the last few weeks and now it's turning into open aggression.

I'll be amazed and very disappointed if she doesn't insist on a public apology as a condition of carrying on.

The show itself is doomed unless he gets some serious counseling from a therapist who tells him the truth about his behaviour. This has got to stop or you're going to be in a mental hospital within a year.

He's also unsuited to counseling as a career. He'd be more insecure than half his clients and asking them for validation.

thr0b

There will be no show tonight.

There will be a show at 9pm tomorrow night.

Enzo

Kath would be better off on her own at this stage. Get off the sinking ship.

thr0b

Listened in tonight - it was a happy show for the most part. Last half hour ruined by him getting het up about some people in the chat.

Ham Bap

Watched it as well. First hour was going well then someone in chat had a private conversation with someone else
having a go because Iain gave $100 to the American singer, and Iain is always talking about how he's short of money.
Might have been a conversation with a mod, not sure.

I was willing to keep on listening but he went on about it for more than half an hour, and Limmy came on so watched that instead.
I had a sore head yesterday from a long day at work. Couldn't take the ranting.
One comment in chat and the rest of the show/mood changes. And this wasn't even in chat.

Thosworth

My thoughts are that watching the viewer count may cause a negative reinforcement loop.

You see it on YouTube: A fairly funny 'content producer' with a normal manner will look at their viewing figures for each clip, and see the ones where they are expressing strong emotions get the most views. Come back two years later and you'll find a gurning, screaming goon, who's facial expressions in their thumbnails aren't dissimilar to Vyvyan off of The Young Ones.

On Twitch you can get the same effect, only in real time. Dull chat and the audience drops. Get riled and start ranting, and the figures go up. Unconsciously or otherwise there's the danger of not ending up in a good place.

Agreed. I fancied watching a film in bed but was tempted instead to watch the last hour.  Really wanted to post in the chat and ask him to move on from moaning about the "scam" convo as it was going on and on but I knew I'd be jumped on if I did.

I'm really getting fed up of 30 min tangents moaning about the chat.  Wish they'd ignore it.  I'm pretty sure the majority of viewers aren't interested in those rants but are just too scared to say owt.

bgmnts

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 19, 2020, 12:24:45 AM
He seems like someone you would purposely avoid for being hyper-sensitive and self absorbed.

I think the parasocial nature of twitch would make it really, really hard for someone like that to prosper. 

thr0b

Quote from: tubbsthespidergigolo2 on August 21, 2020, 10:27:56 AM
Agreed. I fancied watching a film in bed but was tempted instead to watch the last hour.  Really wanted to post in the chat and ask him to move on from moaning about the "scam" convo as it was going on and on but I knew I'd be jumped on if I did.

I'm really getting fed up of 30 min tangents moaning about the chat.  Wish they'd ignore it.  I'm pretty sure the majority of viewers aren't interested in those rants but are just too scared to say owt.

The scam call was funny but he seemed really riled that not everyone listening and chatting interpreted it the same way he did, and they chatted about it in those terms in the chat. Not a pleasant viewing experience.

Dusty Substance

I was intrigued enough by the Twitch shows to give one a try. So I went to https://iainleevault.com/tlna/, chose an episode at random and the skipped to an odd point in the show and guess what they were discussing? Yes, that's right. Mental health.

Jake Thingray

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jake Thingray on August 21, 2020, 09:24:33 PM
Very true.

It is, but he's clearly reached a stage where he doesn't want to be in the media anymore. When he was good on the radio he was very good indeed, but the balloon has burst. I wish nothing but the best for the man, whatever he decides to do with his life.

Also - joke incoming - I had no idea that Iain owes his career in the media to the lead singer from Herman's Hermits.

Noone was the first person to have a hit single with a Bowie cover.

https://www.zeroto180.org/?p=13794

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 19, 2020, 03:16:45 PM
If Kath's family and friends have been watching, they might be concerned for her. She'll say she's big enough to look after herself but she's been absorbing a lot of passive aggression and misogyny from him in the last few weeks and now it's turning into open aggression.

I'll be amazed and very disappointed if she doesn't insist on a public apology as a condition of carrying on.

The show itself is doomed unless he gets some serious counseling from a therapist who tells him the truth about his behaviour. This has got to stop or you're going to be in a mental hospital within a year.

He's also unsuited to counseling as a career. He'd be more insecure than half his clients and asking them for validation.

The training process, if he does a properly accredited course, might actually help him work through some of this stuff. A decent Counselling course puts you through the emotional wringer, and helps you address the obstacles which might impede you being an effective Counsellor.