Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,474
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:38:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Home studios and gear and that

Started by Ferris, June 03, 2020, 01:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Alright.

We're buying a house in the next few months (what the fuck) and my wife has agreed to let me keep a corner of an attic/basement as a tiddly recording studio for little projects and things. I have plenty of hardware (guitars, amps, effects pedals, a piano, and so forth) but I haven't a clue about setting up a little studio thing.

If I'm lucky, the gaff will have a tiny corner space/room area I can add sound baffling to but I doubt it. I've got a budget of about 2,000GBP more or less. I can do more, but I want a few bits for the house and it'd have to be properly worth it to go over that threshold. I'd like to do a load of research before I buy anything, so recommendations on recording gear and how to set it up would be great for me as a starting point.

I need:

- recording mic that I'll use for instruments
- recording mic for vocals (can I use the same one?)
- some kind of idiot-proof software (but I can probably do better than Audacity)
- some kind of input device into the recording box
- a recording box. Is a PC better than a 4 track? Do people even use 4-tracks (or the modern equivalent) any more? I had an old 4 track tape recorder I used years ago (fuck knows where that is) and you could input it into a PC to transfer the recordings but I don't know if that's mad and I'll likely do the channels separately anyway
- a drum machine (or should I just rely on software?)
- other things I've forgotten to outline here (suggestions?)

I'd also really like recommendations for a few new bits of gear. This will come separately over the years so no real urgency on this, just stuff to think about.

- decent acoustic for ~400 quid. Was looking at the Gretsch Rancher line for kooky fun vibes
- a nice synth to have a play with but still fairly idiot-proof (was thinking of replacing the microKORG I sold to pay a gas bill around 10 years ago)
- a nice amp that isn't going to cost the earth (maybe a Fender twin)
- another electric guitar that I absolutely don't need, I'm looking at the Fender Baja Telecasters as I'm a sucker for out of phase pickups. Anyone got one? Any good?

Also, I guess this is a home studio general thread, so have at it.

El Unicornio, mang

My $0.02:

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 03, 2020, 01:38:13 AM

I need:

- recording mic that I'll use for instruments
- recording mic for vocals (can I use the same one?) SM7b works great for both and is dynamic so you don't need to worry about background noise. About $400. SM58s and SM57s are an even cheaper good option at around $100
- some kind of idiot-proof software (but I can probably do better than Audacity) Reaper. Free to try http://reaper.fm/download.php and is a good middle ground between ease of use and advanced features of something more daunting like Pro Tools
- some kind of input device into the recording box Scarlett Focusrite 2i2
- a recording box. Is a PC better than a 4 track? Do people even use 4-tracks (or the modern equivalent) any more? I had an old 4 track tape recorder I used years ago (fuck knows where that is) and you could input it into a PC to transfer the recordings but I don't know if that's mad and I'll likely do the channels separately anyway PC since it has unlimited tracks, although 4-track can sometimes be nice for that more organic feel and limiting yourself to 4 tracks (barring ping-ponging) can be quite liberating
- a drum machine (or should I just rely on software?) Software. I use Addictive Drums and EZDrummer with some add-on kits. They're all sampled from the real thing and have sections of drumming which can be easily stitched together to make a song
- other things I've forgotten to outline here (suggestions?) I recommend the Waves or Izotope Ozone packs which include things like reverb, guitar and vocal fx, mastering, etc. Reaper and other multitrack software has a lot of this stuff already built in but worth getting these other ones

- another electric guitar that I absolutely don't need, I'm looking at the Fender Baja Telecasters as I'm a sucker for out of phase pickups. Anyone got one? Any good? Not sure about that one but I can recommend the Fender Squier Affinity Telecasters which are dirt cheap at under $200 and perform pretty much as well as their expensive counterparts in double blind tests

Spiteface

I can speak for Baja teles, having had one for years. They're really good. All the traditional tele sounds  and a bit more, with "both pickups in series" and out of phase settings.

The classic player line the Baja came from has since been replaced by the Vintera series, but basically the 50s modified tele is what used to be the Baja. Don't know what the neck's like, though, but the Baja was well liked for it's big chunky neck.

earl_sleek

If you do decide to get some plugins from Waves don't buy them full price, they almost always have sales on. Register an account with them and sign up for their emails, then wait for whatever you want to get a discount.

hellvetica

The only ones I really feel confident enough in recommending are:

- recording mic that I'll use for instrument- recording mic for vocals (can I use the same one?)

Shure SM57 if great for both (you can unscrew the top of it off to record instruments and amps better) and won't break the bank. There's a good reason this mic is used everywhere in the industry.

- some kind of input device into the recording box

Focusrite interfaces are extremely reliable and very easy to set up. I use a 2i2 (you can find these for about £60 on the second hand market) coupled with a Yamaha MG10 Mixer and found theres no noise floor whatsoever and can leap from instrument to instrument while recording without having to set up anything.

- a drum machine (or should I just rely on software?)

I'd strongly recommend a sampling drum machine as then you will literally never run out of sounds, rather than have something like a Machinedrum colour the sound of everything you make. I recently got an Electribe ESX and the limits to which you can mangle the samples is extremely impressive, with separate outputs as well so you can send some drums to an effects unit while others play clean. I've also heard tremendous things about the Elektron Digitakt for the same reasons.

- other things I've forgotten to outline here (suggestions?)

If you're planning on having the midi instruments all link up to each other the Kenton Thru-5 will make sure everything stays in sync perfectly. I've got 2 synths, 2 drum machines and a kaoss pad linked up to it and it completely eliminated any drift or delays between tracks that had been there before.

- a nice synth to have a play with but still fairly idiot-proof (was thinking of replacing the microKORG I sold to pay a gas bill around 10 years ago)

I sold my microKorg for a Minilogue and the first week I had it I made about 20 patches that I still go back to, as opposed to the micro which I programmed about 30 on during the 10 years I had it. Very easy to follow interface and incredible palette with very little swampy areas of unusable sounds. It's hard to make sound bad.

- a nice amp that isn't going to cost the earth (maybe a Fender twin)

I've got the Roland JC-22 and it's both crystal clean and LOUD. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 40 soon for gigging's sake but this is ideal for bedroom studios. No dirt channel btw but it takes pedals very well.

El Unicornio, mang

On the subject of amps, there are some good "virtual" amps which model themselves on the real world ones. Many advantages including no need to mic anything up, lug equipment around, worry about noise, and it's nice having thousands of presets at the touch of a button. Amplitube and Softube Vintage Amp are two that I use a lot.

Ferris

This is really helpful!

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the big day approaches but at least now I have a place to start researching

the

The one thing I would say is, build your studio up bit-by-bit, as opposed to throwing loads of money down on loads of new kit all at once.

It is tempting to think 'if I get everything in a spending frenzy then I'll be invested and will make loads of music', but there is going to be a learning curve involved in setting up and using each piece of gear, and getting used to your personal process of recording. (Remember that you're relying on yourself acting as engineer and producer, the equipment won't lend a hand until you know your way around it.)

Maybe start with a simple setup, PC + DAW, audio interface, maybe plug your guitar straight in and try some free effects/amp simulation. Get used to the software and when this is running smoothly, expand into microphone recording.

I'd hold off making any big purchases of effects, drum machines and synths because A) there are many software-based equivalents which you can try before you buy, and B) you might even find that there's free software or functionality in the DAW that achieves what you want, and more simply too. It's an awful feeling to blow hundreds on some piece of equipment that you quickly find yourself shunning in favour of something inexpensive and more invaluable.

Ferris

Yeah I think that's good advice - I think I'd start with one mic, an input, and some recording software and go from there.  Maybe a direct input thing if I wanted to play with some of the sample stuff on whatever software I use

ArtParrott

Quote from: hellvetica on June 03, 2020, 12:04:05 PM
I've got the Roland JC-22 and it's both crystal clean and LOUD. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 40 soon for gigging's sake but this is ideal for bedroom studios. No dirt channel btw but it takes pedals very well.

Nice, I've fancied one of those JC-22's for a while but this has convinced me.

Quote from: hellvetica on June 03, 2020, 12:04:05 PM
Shure SM57 if great for both (you can unscrew the top of it off to record instruments and amps better) and won't break the bank. There's a good reason this mic is used everywhere in the industry.

Do you mean the SM58? You can't get the capsule off of the 57 I don't think.

PlanktonSideburns

Reaper is free and dead good.

Also beringers umc audio interfaces are dead cheap and dead good for getting decent clean audio in

Duck knows on mics, the at2020 mics are really lovely all rounders

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: ArtParrott on June 03, 2020, 01:25:34 PM

Do you mean the SM58? You can't get the capsule off of the 57 I don't think.

I guess they meant the grill on the SM58? But you can also remove the capsule from the SM58 by is boiling it in a pan which gives it a much better sound at the expense of volume

ArtParrott

Wow, I definitely thought you were mugging me off but here it is: https://tapeop.com/interviews/52/sm-57-mod/

El Unicornio, mang

Yeah that (I did it with an SM58 but works for both). I ended up getting an SM7b later anyway but apparently it gets close to that sound without the extra cost.

I'd really like to get a Neumann U67 for vocals but £5000, yikes

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 03, 2020, 01:13:28 PM
Yeah I think that's good advice - I think I'd start with one mic, an input, and some recording software and go from there.  Maybe a direct input thing if I wanted to play with some of the sample stuff on whatever software I use

That's the best way, good advice from the.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Another thumbs up for using a focusrite scarlett. Really reliable, never had an issue with the 3 I've owned[NB]had to sell two 2i4s and an 18i8 on three separate occasions while moving countries, rather than them all breaking [/NB]

I'd definitely recommend the 2i4 as it has MIDI in/out unlike the 2i2. So even if you're not using MIDI at first you're ready for when you get yourself even a basic midi keyboard or your fancier synth/drum machine etc

Handily the Scarlets often come with a basic version of pro tools and Ableton free as well as plugins so at least you have something to go on with.

A lot of my friends use reaper and really like it. I can't say anything about it as I'm still using fruity loops (or "FL studio"....!) after 15 years and haven't made time to learn anything else yet. I'd recommend it but the latest version is pretty ugly. Plus your friends who actually make music for a living will make fun of you constantly.

Like el unicorno, I use addictive drums and would recommend that to anyone. There's a bunch of different kits you can buy for it depending on what you need and they quite often have some sort of sale on so keep an eye out if it seems like something you'd be interested in. I got the 3 drum kit pack at some point quite cheap, with that one you don't need to choose all 3 kits at once which was really handy.

Also you (used to??) get a free piano for Additive Keys with a Scarlett. Upright/Grand/CP80/Rhodes, so probably something useful in there depending on what you're recording.

As for mics like someone said you really can't go wrong starting with an SM58 for vocals/your amp.

Non Stop Dancer

If you're going for a hardware synth, the Korg minilogue xd is hard to beat for the money. In all honesty though you'll get much more versatility from a suite of soft synths.