Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:13:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who

Started by TJ, May 11, 2005, 09:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"

Wasn't there a Davidson era one when the Cybermen were mining for something and they had black, blank faced androids at their bidding?

That was called 'EarthShock' it was a big deal at the time because the Cybermen had been off the screens for about 7 years. Also adric snuffed it at the end and the credits did'nt have the music, just Adrics broken gold star badge, which then became the talk of the classroom the following Monday.

One Tom Baker episode I can't name had the Tardis stop in mid space and have the Dr and sarah step out and stand in mid space. Does anyone recall what that story was called ?

dan dirty ape

Cheers! I've stuck it on my lovefilm.com list for Proustian rush purposes.

Ronster

I love the odl stuff.  Started getting back into it again about a year or so ago...partly due to them reshowing the original series from the first episode over here in Australia.

Have really enjoyed the old shows.

Biggest disappointment has to be the lack of Troughton stories still in existence.  He is possibly my favourite old Doctor and its a gutter how many of his stories were lost in the BBC culling of old shows.   Oh well hope srpings eternal that some mroe old episodes may one day be found :)

VegaLA

I d/l and burned to DVD the Seeds of Doom story. Thing is it is in perfect DV quality but to my knowledge it has yet to be rel on DVD. There are'nt any TV logos in the corner so it does'nt look like a recent DV recording from TV. Very pleased with it though.

Spiteface

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Thundercats is the only one of them that hasn't very recently been relaunched and become popular again. [/size]

Actually, if you didn't know, there was an attempt as bringing it back, as thwere were a few great Comic stories a couple of years ago, that picked up where the cartoon series left off.

There was "Recaiming Thundera", which took place just after, with the Thundercats trying to rebuild the newly reborn Thundera for their people to return.  this was ended with Lion-O going into the Book of Omens to begin regal training, but,  in "The Return",  Mumm-ra placed a spell on the Book so, where he should have only been away for a few days, he comes out 5 years later to find that his planet is now under Mumm-ra's rule, and the Ancient Spirits of Evil now serving him as opposed to the other way round.  Then came "Dogs of War", which was set a further 15 years on, with a bearded, aged Lion-O (he aged faster supposedly as a consequence of the book), had to join forces with Mumm-ra to take on an invasion of alien Dogs.

All of which was bloody brilliant.

Anyway, getting back on topic, as soon as I finish uni, and get back to not being as skint, having got onto the current Eccleston incarnation, I may go back and check out some older episodes.  Which of the current DVDs are good starting points?

VegaLA

so which past enemies would you like to see return. The Sontarons should make a comeback, but some monsters should remain sacred to their Doctors..if you know what I mean. I've listed monsters that only appeared with that one Doctor ....

1:- William Hartnell - The Zarbis or the Sensorites.
2:- Patrick - The Yeti.
3:- Jon - Giant bugs (Spiders and Maggots) or Orgrons.
4:- Tom - The Zygons or The Wirrn.
5:- Peter - Mawdryn or that snake thing from Kinda.
6:- Colin - The Vervoids or The androgums.
7:- Sylvester - Bertie Bassett.
8:- Paul - errr....
9:- Chris -  The Slitheen or the Gelth.

Alberon

I was born just before Jon Pertwee took over the role and Doctor Who is one of my oldest TV memories. I can remember bits that I must have seen when I was three or four. For some reason the Ogrons stuck in my memory (they were the henchmen of the Daleks back in Pertwee's time).

But it was Tom Baker's Doctor that I really enjoyed. Back then it was huge, it was as big then as it is now. It's only when it moved away from the saturday slot the first time that it started to lose the following among kids I think. By the mid eighties the mass appeal, but not the nostalgia, had gone and it was a cult show.

Like everything you have to judge it in context with the time it was made. Going on about the wobbly sets became a total cliche and more than a little unfair. Yeah, the futuristic stuff hasn't aged well, but the period stuff always looked good. But then the same would be true of virtually all BBC productions of the time. Look at the obviously studio bound I Claudius for example.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Alberon"Look at the obviously studio bound I Claudius for example.

Coming soon, perhaps – Russell T Davies' lavish multi-million pound version of 'I, Claudius'. It's got all his favourite ingredients after all....

there's an old Doctor Who episode which has always been lodged in my mind.

It was either a Tom or Davidson episode - although probably a Tom one.

it's hazy but from what I remember - set in a village, quite tribal.  an image of a giant snake-thing keeps appearing - the plot might've been of the whodunnit ilk where everyone's trying to figure out what it means.
I get the idea it was one of the later Tom episodes, it may even be the last one when he falls off the dish at the end.

I remember being petrified at the time.

Sounds like it's probably "Kinda", which is an early Davison. It's set on a tribal planet and involves an evil entity called the Mara which takes the form of a giant snake. It's also a great story and well worth a watch/download/whatever.

Although it also might be "Creature from the Pit", a late Tom which again is set on a tribal planet and features a large and laughably phallic snake-like alien being. This one's a bit of a mess, despite Tom Baker, Lalla Ward, and a load of Hitchhikers in-jokes.

Ah yeah, it could well be snakedance (so not Baker at all then).

Am I halucinating, or is that Martin Clunes fresh off stage from puss in boots?

The back of the Creatures from the Pit box appears to show K9 smoking a fag over an open fire.

hallogallo

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"Ah yeah, it could well be snakedance (so not Baker at all then).

Am I halucinating, or is that Martin Clunes fresh off stage from puss in boots?

The back of the Creatures from the Pit box appears to show K9 smoking a fag over an open fire.

Nope, that is indeed ver Clunes. I seem to remember the dippy poet from Bread appears in Snakedance, too.

I have some more Doctor Who questions!!!

People from Gallifrey have twelve regenerations right - Is that cast in stone, or just an average that could go up or down?  Do only Timelords have this skill or any old Gallifreyian?
What dictates the whole regeneration thing?  Does the TARDIS play any part in this?

The Master: is he a Timelord?  Howcome he always regenerates with a beard and eyebrows (TV Movie excluded)?

The Doctor: didn't he steal the TARDIS originally.  How come he's a Timelord if his spaceship is hooky?

neveragain

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"The Doctor: didn't he steal the TARDIS originally.

I can't imagine William Hartnell doing a thing like that.

I think it's cast in stone that all Time Lords only have 13 regenerations- although in "The Five Doctors" the Gallifreyan High Council offered the Master a second regenerative cycle, so I guess there are ways to cheat this. I was watching "The Brain of Morbius" earlier, and in the mindbending contest between the Doctor and Morbius it's made pretty clear that the Doctor's had more regenerations than we've seen on screen...

I think only Time Lords have the regenerative skill- in "The Invasion of Time" there are Gallifreyans who live outside the Time Lord's Citadel. It's never really made clear if they were Time Lords or not as I remember.

The Master is a Time Lord. In "The Deadly Assassin" he reached the end of his regenerative cycle and thus took the form of an emaciated, skeletal figure. In "The Keeper of Traken" he took over the body of Tremas, hence the recurring beard- it wasn't his body in the first place.

The Doctor did indeed steal his TARDIS. The reasons why are somewhat unclear, but supposedly the Doctor loathed the petty and boring society of the Time Lords and preferred a life of adventure and excitement. In "An Unearthly Child" the Doctor mentions that he and Susan are "exiles" from their home planet, and in "The War Games" he is fearful of his own people. It's obvious he did something rebellious to incur their wrath (maybe stealing the TARDIS itself) but I'm not sure it was ever really explained in full.

VegaLA

From what I have read in the past yes the Dr did steal a Mrk 40 time capsule and his son urged him to take Susan. The dr was bored of the Timelords just 'observing' time and making sure no-one else messed with it but the Dr wanted to be part of Historic events so yes, he stole a Tardis and did a runner, avoiding the timelords who were looking for him.

In the Brain of morbius mindFight sequence the other faces that appear on the machine are in fact of morbius' past regens.

difbrook

Quote from: "oceanthroats"When I was very young I was watching Doctor Who and the end of the episode happened and I completely failed to understand what it all meant, and I seem to recall asking my mother what had just happened, and she told me the Tardis had hit a star. Just sort of bumped into it. Now. Obviously this didn't ever happen. Because you can't really bump into a star really can you. Does anyone remember any (Tom Baker) episode that ended with the Tardis sort of...er...bumping into...something? This seems to be a very very deep strange memory that is buried deep down in the earth of my head somewhere.  Maybe it was some strange dream? Was it something to do with the E-space thing?

both this and VegaLa's memories *might* be from "The Horns of Nimon" - some very late period "silly Tom" (I divide Mr Baker, T. into three distinct periods - Scary, Silly and Serious. Sometimes, he's all three in the space of about ten minutes, but there's a definite broad chronological sweep to the stories that can, unfortunately, be categorised that way). The cliffhanger to one episode is the Tardis about to crash into a Neutron star. Earlier on in the episode, the Doctor and Romana use a forcefield thingie to spacewalk safely from the Tardis to a spacecraft airlock.

could this be the one?

"The Horns of Nimon" is an odd one. No budget, Tom so far out of control it's unbelievable (pinning Rosettes on K9, boggling madly at all things, and indulging in an overacting contest with Graham Crowden that can only have been fuelled by gin). It's got a scene in which the Tardis central column makes a noise that's obviously been taken from the Goon Show or Crackerjack or something, Janet Ellis is in it, lisping for all she's worth in a yellow boiler-suit, Lalla Ward (no relation) is doing all the Doctorish bits because Tom's too busy having fun to bother with concentrating on the plot, the pacing is *terrible*... and yet...

...right at the heart of it, there's Doctor Who's usual magnificent triumph of ambition over common sense, pumping away. Galaxy-spanning race of space parasites? No problem. Not one, but two decaying empires? Will tuesday do you? Race of giant bull creatures with glowing red eyes and space-loincloths, wearing platform shoes? Hang on a minute, get me a copy of "Spotlight", and we'll see how many trained dancers we can rustle up to play them. And right at the start of episode 4, cutting through all the bullshit (tee-hee) you get John Bailey, wandering by and delivering a restrained, dignified scene with Lalla that not only stokes the plot for the rest of the episode but if watched in the right mood, can actually be quite chilling. Weird.

VegaLA

Quote from: "difbrook"
Janet Ellis

How is Sophies music career going at the mo, quite fancy seeing her as an assistant.

cheers Ghost of TJ!

Quotethe Doctor loathed the petty and boring society of the Time Lords and preferred a life of adventure and excitement.

yeah doesn't strike me as something WH'd do.  It's more a crazy hippieish thing Troughton'd come up with.

I really want to see this "The Horns of Nimon" episode now after that description.

"The Horns of Nimon" is ace, it's a complete riot. Best line? "I'm going to the TARDIS to get some gear." Or "Weakling Scum!"

QuoteIn the Brain of morbius mindFight sequence the other faces that appear on the machine are in fact of morbius' past regens.

This is what a lot of fans say, but it's quite clear in the programme that the new faces are meant to be those of the Doctor. The Doctor is losing the mind-bending contest and the new faces follow on from those of Baker, Pertwee, Troughton and Hartnell. As far as I know the production team intended that these were indeed past regenerations of the Doctor.

Quote from: "Ghost of Troubled Joe"in "The Five Doctors" the Gallifreyan High Council offered the Master a second regenerative cycle, so I guess there are ways to cheat this.

Has there ever been any backstory to explain how regens work?

I quite like the idea of gallifreyian nanobots to rebuild the body.  The might be part of the TARDIS as he usually regenerates in, or near to, it.  Although nanobots are a new concept in Sci-Fi, so it certainly wouldn't have cropped up in the old stories.

Deadman97

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"Although nanobots are a new concept in Sci-Fi, so it certainly wouldn't have cropped up in the old stories.
Are they? I reckon you can trace nanobots back to Asimov- Fantastic Voyage, shrunken machines being injected, all that... I adore the idea of the TARDIS being connected to the Doctor though, I like thinking of it as his KITT, communicating with him and subtly helping him of it's own free will.

VegaLA

Was it the Horns of Nimon ?
I'm starting to think it was the Masque of madraga because If I remember correctly it was Sarah that stepped out of the Tardis with the Doctor in space. They were'nt floating... it was if they were standing on a level platform.

TotalNightmare

interesting question, possibly bollocks, but...

is there any evidence to suggest that Hartnell was the 1st Generation and that he wasnt a 2nd or 3rd?

Would make for an interesting story in future eps if so!

Purple Tentacle

So does The Doctor ever mention his children then?  He's got a granddaughter (who he seems to completely forget about for some reason), so what are his children doing?

Presumably they all got killed by Daleks in the Time War, but before that?

Maybe he forgots about her when he regenerates.

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"Maybe he forgots about her when he regenerates.

At least thats what he tells his home planet when he is forced to offer some up keep...

Divorced dads must be right bastards on Gallifrey.

"Sorry mate, i've never seen this child before in my life, doesnt even look like me"

Quoteis there any evidence to suggest that Hartnell was the 1st Generation and that he wasnt a 2nd or 3rd?

Apart from the aforementioned scene in "The Brain of Morbius" there's no real evidence to support this theory- except the scene itself, in which it's made pretty clear that the Doctor's has had more lives before Hartnell. If you add up the faces from "Morbius", plus Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Baker and Davison, I think you get 13 faces. Time Lords have 13 regenerations. And what does Davison say when he begins his regeneration in "The Caves of Androzani"? "It feels different this time." Could it be that the Doctor's already on a second regenerative cycle? Mind you, this is only a fan theory I read in a fanzine once, and has no real basis in anything approaching fact.

QuoteSo does The Doctor ever mention his children then? He's got a granddaughter (who he seems to completely forget about for some reason), so what are his children doing?

As far as I know the Doctor has never mentioned his children- although there's quite a touching scene in the Patrick Troughton story "Tomb of the Cybermen" (out on DVD) when he remembers his family.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"
Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"Maybe he forgots about her when he regenerates.

At least thats what he tells his home planet when he is forced to offer some up keep...

Divorced dads must be right bastards on Gallifrey.

"Sorry mate, i've never seen this child before in my life, doesnt even look like me"

I wouldn't be surprised if dear old RTD uses this as an excuse to have a satirical look at Fathers4Justice, with the Doctor dressed up as Wonder Woman or something. He loves it.

lankinpark

Quote from: "Ghost of Troubled Joe"Mind you, this is only a fan theory I read in a fanzine once, and has no real basis in anything approaching fact.

Although that article was written by Lance Parkin, the man who's recently been writing just about the only interesting novels in the Doctor Who range. As far as he's concerned, it's the truth, and his novels clearly work along those lines, although he never says it outright for fear of upsetting traditionalists.

QuoteAs far as I know the Doctor has never mentioned his children- although there's quite a touching scene in the Patrick Troughton story "Tomb of the Cybermen" (out on DVD) when he remembers his family.

Again, see Lance Parkin's novels. The Doctor's parents turn up in his latest one, and his wife and daughter have appeared in the past. His brother has made a few appearances too. Which means nothing to people who only accept the TV series, of course. In which case, he's got a granddaughter and a family that live on in his mind.