Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:26:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTJ4 has dropped early

Started by Non Stop Dancer, June 03, 2020, 05:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Non Stop Dancer

iamcoop

It's good. The track with 2 Chains fuckin' bangs.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

thugler

Quote from: iamcoop on June 03, 2020, 05:51:21 PM

This... Got a nice old school sound to it. Really enjoying it so far

non capisco

Quote from: iamcoop on June 03, 2020, 05:51:21 PM

Doesn't it just? Stunning tune, love the 1-2 punch of that going straight into 'Holy Calamafuck'. Enjoying this album a hell of a lot on first listen.

Pseudopath

Bit good this, innit? Beast-mode production from El-P.

iamcoop

The Gang of Four sample is mad. Fair play to El Producto for getting that one in.

Harpo Speaks

They've only gone and done it again haven't they.

Pseudopath

Quote from: iamcoop on June 03, 2020, 09:30:05 PM
The Gang of Four sample is mad. Fair play to El Producto for getting that one in.

I actually laughed when I first recognised it. Absolutely ridiculously good.

Pseudopath

Bit of a "Your Majesty" at the end of the album though. I can see why they didn't want to end it on a complete downer, but it ends up sounding like something from Songify The News.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 03, 2020, 09:55:15 PM
Bit of a "Your Majesty" at the end of the album though. I can see why they didn't want to end it on a complete downer, but it ends up sounding like something from Songify The News.
Yeah, I was about to compose a tweet about how El-p really knows how to finish an album, but didn't bother because of that!

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: iamcoop on June 03, 2020, 09:30:05 PM
What track did they sample?

El-P's production is insane every RTJ's album has amazing beats

Ju$t is my early favourite on this, once again Zach de la Rocha having the best guest verse on the album

Killer Mikes verse on walking in the snow is either weirdly timely or was written this week?
(And you so numb you watch the cops choke out a man like me
And 'til my voice goes from a shriek to whisper, 'I can't breathe')

Pseudopath

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on June 03, 2020, 11:51:21 PM
Killer Mikes verse on walking in the snow is either weirdly timely or was written this week?

"I Can't Breathe" originated from Eric Garner's murder in 2014. It was already a BLM slogan well before George Floyd's horribly-similar death. Some right-wing cunts even claimed he said it on purpose just to invoke the protests (rather than - you know - not being able to breathe with a knee on his neck).

iamcoop

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on June 03, 2020, 11:51:21 PM
El-P's production is insane every RTJ's album has amazing beats

Ju$t is my early favourite on this, once again Zach de la Rocha having the best guest verse on the album

According to El-P on Twitter it was recorded in the autumn of 2019.

thugler

It's pretty good. Not sure it's better than 2 though. But i have only listened once so that may change

Non Stop Dancer

In case you missed it/didn't know, El-p scored the new Capone film and that's now available as well. Fun fact, he was going to score the abandoned Bobba Fett film.

Bernice

This is great. RTJ always deliver, huh?

Never expected I'd get Pharrell and Zack de la Rocha on the same track.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 03, 2020, 10:14:47 PM
Ether: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7sNfbprnKU
Here's the RTJ song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCQtCj39TN0
Thanks, I'm not familiar with Gang of Four beyond knowing the name. When El-p's Weareallgoungtoburninhellmegamixx3 came out, I'm pretty certain he referenced them as an influence on the riffs used on that album.

Egyptian Feast

I haven't listened to them before bar the odd track on YouTube, but this is fucking brilliant. I couldn't resist repeatedly raising the volume during the first track, always a good sign. Can't work to it now, but it's too good to turn down.

up_the_hampipe

Holy Calamafuck is a mighty beast of a track.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 04, 2020, 03:27:30 PM
I haven't listened to them before bar the odd track on YouTube, but this is fucking brilliant. I couldn't resist repeatedly raising the volume during the first track, always a good sign. Can't work to it now, but it's too good to turn down.
Well you've got a treat ahead of you listening to the rest of the catalogue, not forgetting Killer Mike's last album. El's solo stuff as well if course, but KM's album Rap Music is where the whole RTJ sound kicks off properly.

Pseudopath

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 04, 2020, 04:23:13 PM
Holy Calamafuck is a mighty beast of a track.

Sure is. My favourite track keeps changing (surely a sign of a brilliant album). Currently flitting between Out Of Sight and The Ground Below (both absolute bops), but I'm sure it'll change again by tomorrow.

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on June 04, 2020, 04:35:07 PM
Well you've got a treat ahead of you listening to the rest of the catalogue, not forgetting Killer Mike's last album. El's solo stuff as well if course, but KM's album Rap Music is where the whole RTJ sound kicks off properly.

Maaaan. Imagine getting to hear Thursday In The Danger Room followed by A Report To The Shareholders/Kill Your Masters for the first time. Lucky bugger. As people have mentioned up-thread, the only weakness of RTJ4 is that wet fart of an ending.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on June 04, 2020, 04:35:07 PM

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 04, 2020, 05:09:18 PM
Maaaan. Imagine getting to hear Thursday In The Danger Room followed by A Report To The Shareholders/Kill Your Masters for the first time. Lucky bugger. As people have mentioned up-thread, the only weakness of RTJ4 is that wet fart of an ending.

I was talking to my partner's son about them just a few minutes back and he was raving passionately about RTJ1 - 3. I'll definitely be digging deep into the back catalogue. I love having new rabbit holes to get lost down.

I agree with everyone about the ending. It couldn't help but sound lame after the previous track.

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 04, 2020, 05:40:17 PM
I was talking to my partner's son about them just a few minutes back and he was raving passionately about RTJ1 - 3. I'll definitely be digging deep into the back catalogue. I love having new rabbit holes to get lost down.

I agree with everyone about the ending. It couldn't help but sound lame after the previous track.
Checkout these non album songs too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUC2EQvdzmY DJ Shadow ft RTJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XboRkCEqKo Rubble Kings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seEjFQ0lNhY Lets Go

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on June 04, 2020, 06:28:57 PM
Checkout these non album songs too:

They were great, cheers. That DJ Shadow song must have been one of the videos I'd seen before, I recognised the clip immediately.

non capisco

When you've done all the RTJ and solo El-P and Killer Mike stuff, do check out 'The Cold Vein' by Cannibal Ox, a fantastically queasy and disorienting sounding hip hop album that El-P produced in *checks* fucking christ, 2001. Then there's the Company Flow stuff before that.

Non Stop Dancer

I don't think I've ever been as obsessed with an album as I was with The Cold Vein.