Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,478
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:41:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RTJ4 has dropped early

Started by Non Stop Dancer, June 03, 2020, 05:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thugler

Quote from: non capisco on June 04, 2020, 08:26:22 PM
When you've done all the RTJ and solo El-P and Killer Mike stuff, do check out 'The Cold Vein' by Cannibal Ox, a fantastically queasy and disorienting sounding hip hop album that El-P produced in *checks* fucking christ, 2001. Then there's the Company Flow stuff before that.

God damn that is a good record. It's amazing how it hasn't dated whatsoever.

Egyptian Feast

When you've done all the RTJ and solo El-P and Killer Mike stuff, do check out 'The Cold Vein' by Cannibal Ox, a fantastically queasy and disorienting sounding hip hop album that El-P produced in *checks* fucking christ, 2001. Then there's the Company Flow stuff before that.

Shit, I have heard that album but not for a very, very long time, it seems. Fucking 2001, really? I knew El-P had a connection with something I was into previously, but had forgotten what. Great, I even get a little nostalgia down this rabbit hole.

iamcoop

This is so good. Can't really add much more.

Pseudopath

Quote from: iamcoop on June 04, 2020, 10:13:46 PM
This is so good. Can't really add much more.

What more is there to say? Been absolutely rinsing it all day and am struggling to find a dud. The wait was well worth it.

iamcoop

The only thing I will say is that even though I love Out Of Sight I find 2 Chainz verse a bit pointless. He doesn't add anything to the track and gets totally out rapped by Mike and El. Slightly hacky bravado seems a bit out of place on an album of this quality.

Pseudopath

Quote from: iamcoop on June 04, 2020, 10:45:56 PM
The only thing I will say is that even though I love Out Of Sight I find 2 Chainz verse a bit pointless. He doesn't add anything to the track and gets totally out rapped by Mike and El. Slightly hacky bravado seems a bit out of place on an album of this quality.

Fair point. You do need to bring your AAA game if you're going to be spitting with these guys. Nothing I've ever heard from Mr. Epps makes me think he actually has it in him.

non capisco

Have only just clocked Killer Mike's line "Like Jimmy Savile/They definitely kill/Kids in a ritual" in Pulling The Pin. (He mispronounces Savile's surname Saveel, stop getting our British nonces wrong, Mike!)

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 04, 2020, 11:33:10 PM
Fair point. You do need to bring your AAA game if you're going to be spitting with these guys. Nothing I've ever heard from Mr. Epps makes me think he actually has it in him.
Embarrassingly shit compared to Mike and El. Marketing stunt innit, see also Pharell.

Non Stop Dancer

The world decided a long time ago that not being a good rapper should be no impediment to a successful rap career.

niat

Quote from: non capisco on June 05, 2020, 12:44:15 AM
Have only just clocked Killer Mike's line "Like Jimmy Savile/They definitely kill/Kids in a ritual" in Pulling The Pin. (He mispronounces Savile's surname Saveel, stop getting our British nonces wrong, Mike!)

I'm listening to the album now and that line played just as I read your post. Exactly as I read those words. Gave me a shiver down the spine.

Fucking great album.

kngen

And basically anything on Def Jux (El-P's label) - Aesop Rock, Mr Lif, Cage, Sonic Sum - you can't really go wrong.

Non Stop Dancer

Well you say that, but IMO the label started going to pot when they started putting out stuff like party action fun comittee and hangar 18 because they were all mates but really not good enough to share a label with those you men9.

jobotic

The beat to the track Vein from that album has often popped into my head ever since I heard it on DJ Rupture's Gold Teeth Theif mix. It's fantastic.

Love how it emerges from the noise from 39m onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y6IbLbypWo

Here it is properly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHaFvZa8giY

Bazooka

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on June 05, 2020, 06:52:57 PM
Well you say that, but IMO the label started going to pot when they started putting out stuff like party action fun comittee and hangar 18 because they were all mates but really not good enough to share a label with those you men9.

Get lost, Hangar 18 were solid.

phantom_power

I was listening to the new Armand Hammer album earlier. Don't know much about them but they do give off a bit of an early EL-P vibe

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on June 03, 2020, 09:58:55 PM
Yeah, I was about to compose a tweet about how El-p really knows how to finish an album, but didn't bother because of that!

Retraction alert! I think it's a fucking great ending now.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on June 07, 2020, 04:06:28 PM
Retraction alert! I think it's a fucking great ending now.

Yeah. I've warmed to it aswell. El-P is a genius.

WestHill

Quote from: phantom_power on June 06, 2020, 03:04:15 PM
I was listening to the new Armand Hammer album earlier. Don't know much about them but they do give off a bit of an early EL-P vibe

Billy Woods came up with Vordul, so yeah similar circles.

The new Armand Hammer is incredible.

Would also recommend Serengeti's record with Kenny Segal. An incredible concept piece in character as former rapper and sneaker obsessed Ajai whose life is falling apart because of his fashion OCD. Amazing production too.

iamcoop

Ju$t has turned into one of my favourite tracks on this record. The beat was absolutely haunting my mind last night. The way it switches to that sinister vocal croon when Zack kicks in is unreal. El-P is a fucking genius.

Also been banging this track today. https://youtu.be/1kmI2UdHdlQ

What happened to Despot? He never released an album did he?

The thing I love about El-P's production is the switch ups - it's like he approaches beats in a totally different way to anyone else (at least to my ears).

Anyway I've been binging for a few days, here's one of my favourite El-p beats https://youtu.be/42GTZYaCz0A. Don't Die by Killer Mike. It bangs and for whatever reason I've always regarded it as the East Coast's version of 100 miles an runnin' by NWA.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: iamcoop on June 12, 2020, 06:22:53 PM
Ju$t has turned into one of my favourite tracks on this record. The beat was absolutely haunting my mind last night. The way it switches to that sinister vocal croon when Zack kicks in is unreal. El-P is a fucking genius.

This has been stuck in my brain all week and that's just dandy. I've been caning the album since it came out and loving it more with every listen. Definitely my favourite album of the year so far.

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 04, 2020, 05:09:18 PM
Maaaan. Imagine getting to hear Thursday In The Danger Room followed by A Report To The Shareholders/Kill Your Masters for the first time. Lucky bugger.

Well, I now know what that feels like as I picked up RTJ3 this week and blasted it out. It felt pretty fucking great. I love Zach de la Rocha's appearances and hope they bring him back for RTJ5. I feel bad for dismissing him a long time ago after seeing RATM in Belfast in 92 or 93 and finding him a bit of a wally.

thugler

Shouldn't he have released a solo album proper by now though. He's had at least 2 completely finished and never put them out. The wally.

iamcoop

I'm guessing he'll do something major with RTJ at some point. El-p said as much on twitter recently.

Bernice

I've no idea what Zach de la Rocha's been up to but his colabs with RTJ are reliably among the highlights of each album.  Would absolutely go for an El P produced solo album.

Non Stop Dancer

El-p said relatively recently that he was producing an album for him, but they also tried doing one almost 20 years ago which came to nothing.

Bazooka

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on June 21, 2020, 06:18:44 PM
El-p said relatively recently that he was producing an album for him, but they also tried doing one almost 20 years ago which came to nothing.

Say what?  He has had three full length albums and a couple of EPs in the last 20 years.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Bazooka on June 22, 2020, 05:26:36 PM
Say what?  He has had three full length albums and a couple of EPs in the last 20 years.

Who, Zach? He's released one EP (as One Day As A Lion) and few solo tracks and features in the last 20 years.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Bazooka on June 22, 2020, 05:26:36 PM
Not produced by El-p though, which is what I was referring to.

Non Stop Dancer

El-p projects that have been in the works but failed for one reason or another to be completed over the years:
Zack De La Rocha album, collaborative album with Dan the Automator ("Sammy's Romanians", I seem to remember), a second Cannibal Ox album, an El-p/Aesop rock EP, a Weathrmen album and, I think, a Mr Mutherfuckin Excquire album.

Non Stop Dancer

Oh and he was also going to score the aborted Boba Fett film.

Bazooka

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on June 22, 2020, 07:57:45 PM
Who, Zach? He's released one EP (as One Day As A Lion) and few solo tracks and features in the last 20 years.

Ha, ignore me chaps, I read it as El-P is producing an album for himself, not 'he' as in producing for De La Rocha.