Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Big Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band Thread

Started by Banana Woofwoof, May 11, 2005, 11:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favourite Bonzos album?

Gorilla
18 (31.6%)
The Doughnut In Granny's Greenhouse
12 (21.1%)
Tadpoles
4 (7%)
Keynsham
18 (31.6%)
Let's Make Up and Be Friendly
5 (8.8%)
I've only heard Urban Spaceman and Cool Britannia
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: May 29, 2005, 05:51:54 PM

I've searched in vain for a Bonzos thread so here one is for all the closet fans I know lurk round these parts.  I've recently been listening to the BBC recordings and reading Ginger Geezer and once again feel annoyed that the Bonzos seem to  be somewhat dismissed as a wacky, zany, maadddcap comedy band.  How can anyone dismiss a band who write beautiful songs like We Were Wrong or fantastic lyrics like My Pink Half of the Drainpipe?  They looked completely and utterly amazing, exciting, dramatic, running around everywhere with everyone taking centre stage at one point, with props and a total disregard for their audience.   Everytime I look at them I violently wish there was a band like that now.   And their music makes me really, really happy.

The Bonzos to me were a complete one off, a contradiction in that they parodied so much yet were absolute originals, and I've never seen anything like them since.  I just wish I was an old fart nearing death so I could have seen them live at one point.   Vivian Stanshall is one of the greatest frontmen ever (yeah, take that, I stand by it) and Neil Innes wrote gorgeous pop songs, which should be in HMV rather than languishing in obscurity online as the man himself seems to be.

How did you come to know about them and what do you mostly listen to?  I vaguely remember my dad having Gorilla at home but it was only fairly recently I sought to investigate them.  The BBC recordings have been my staple recently, with the best versions of Trouser Press and We Were Wrong ever playing on repeat.

I'm not so sure about Vivian's solo career, however.  His radio work was fantastic (ah, lovely Rawlinson End) but I found his later music to be hard to listen to, even his his lyrics remained wonderful.  It's very noticeable what tracks he mostly wrote and what tracks Neil Innes wrote- he seemed to prefer the straightforward pop song.  But I love that about them, you have gorgeous pop tunes like I Want to Be With You alongside pieces like 11 Moustachioed Daughters which you have to run to keep up with.

If I was Johnny Vaughan I'd say, "So, who's "ga-ga!" for Dada?" But I'm not.  So I won't.

And has anyone heard the biography radio show in 1994 Vivian did with his mum, the name of which escapes me at this moment?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Neil Innes wrote gorgeous pop songs, which should be in HMV rather than languishing in obscurity online as the man himself seems to be.

Amen, sister. There's something horribly wrong about having to buy his latest off the internet and NOWHERE ELSE. I haven't even heard it yet, for just that reason.

Not too sure about the BBC 'We Were Wrong' being the best though – such a statement is scandalous. Yeah, it's a funny version, but still just a squib, and no replacement for the proper track.

TJ

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"The Bonzos to me were a complete one off, a contradiction in that they parodied so much yet were absolute originals, and I've never seen anything like them since.  I just wish I was an old fart nearing death so I could have seen them live at one point.   Vivian Stanshall is one of the greatest frontmen ever (yeah, take that, I stand by it) and Neil Innes wrote gorgeous pop songs, which should be in HMV rather than languishing in obscurity online as the man himself seems to be.

You probably know this already, but there are a few audio recordings of live gigs around, and some TV appearances that at least give a flavour of the stage act.

QuoteHow did you come to know about them and what do you mostly listen to?

I'd kind of always known about them really, in that I remember seeing "The Innes Book Of Records" and hearing "Rawlinson End" when I was quite young, and liking both and being vaguely aware that their creators had both been in this band with a strange name. I'd also heard 'I'm The Urban Spaceman' on programmes like "Sounds Of The Sixties" a fair few times. That said, I didn't really investigate their music until around 1985/6ish, when the BBC ran (possibly in the same week) a repeat of "The Rutles" and the edition of "The Rock'n'Roll Years" (a fantastic series that really ought to be dug out by BBC4 - it's often been imitated but never been matched as far as I'm concerned) that included the "Colour Me Pop" performance of 'I'm The Urban Spaceman'.

What I listen to the most? Probably 'Let's Make Up And Be Friendly'. Although I didn't think necessarily so when I first heard it, it's by far the most well-rounded and accomplished of their albums. "Keynsham" is a close second, though.

QuoteI'm not so sure about Vivian's solo career, however.  His radio work was fantastic but I found his later music to be hard to listen to, even his his lyrics remained wonderful.

Really? I think "Teddy Boys Don't Knit" is great, and I'm also quite fond of "Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead", although I suspect I'm in the minority there.

TJ

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"And has anyone heard the biography radio show in 1994 Vivian did with his mum, the name of which escapes me at this moment?

"From Essex Teenager To Rennaisance Man". Top stuff.

Oh, I know the proper We Were Wrong is best, but it just makes me smile so much to hear them giggling in the background as they get it very wrong.  It's the "take that!" and dull little slap that makes me laugh.

Why is Neil's album only available online anyway?  I have yet to hear it either.

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"And has anyone heard the biography radio show in 1994 Vivian did with his mum, the name of which escapes me at this moment?

"From Essex Teenager To Rennaisance Man". Top stuff.

Aaaahh, that's it!  Is it around anywhere? I really want to hear it!

The Bonzos only came to my attention after I caught the BBC4 documentary on Viv Stanshall, which I thought was entirely fascinating. I've yet to fully immerse myself in their back catalogue, yet alone buy a CD, but I've liked everything of their's that I've heard- "Give Booze a Chance" and "The Intro and the Outro" never fail to make me laugh. Isn't there a band around now with the name Death Cab for Cutie? I've only heard brief snippets of Teddy Boys Don't Knit, but "Ginger Geezer" is just an amazing, quirky, catchy pop song. I managed to download all of Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead from somewhere on the net, that's a great album that needs immediate reissue/reappraisal.

ninestonecreature

QuoteWhy is Neil's album only available online anyway? I have yet to hear it either.

I have a signed copy- one of the advantages of ordering it from his website, I s'pose. Very nice it is too- low-key and acoustic, quite folky.

Being the Beatles obsessive I am, I first encountered the Bonzos via their beguiling cameo appearance in Magical Mystery Tour.

Quote from: "Ghost of Troubled Joe"I managed to download all of Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead from somewhere on the net, that's a great album that needs immediate reissue/reappraisal.

Speaking of which, here is a petition for Warner Bros to re-release it.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"I've never seen anything like them since.

Oh - I hate to do an Amazon on you by saying "If you like these bands, then maybe you'll enjoy these!", but you should probably check out Misty's Big Adventure.  They're massively influenced by the Bonzos, and live are utterly extraordinary.  The Boman Family are marginally less so, but there's still a clear influence running through their work - I particularly enjoy the song "Feedback", which involves the rest of the band jamming in a groovy way whilst the lead member archly spits cornflakes into a tube leading into a bag on his back (get it?).  I've utterly no idea if the Boman Family are still going or not, unfortunately.

I think the problem with both the above bands - and prevailing attitudes to the Bonzos - is that humour and music are often seen as being things which can't successfully mix, especially by the critics.

As for the Dog Band themselves, I like their work, but I'd stop short of calling myself a fan.  I love "The Pink Half of the Drainpipe", "The Craig Torso Show" and "We Are Normal", but there are moments that don't quite gel for me.  A lot of the Neil Innes work, I'm sad to say, really does nothing for me whatsoever.  I wish I'd been around at the time to see them live, though - they even supported Tiny Tim once.  That would have been a superb bill.

I've only really seen the bit in Magical Mystery Tour (presumably not representative of their work) and maybe a BBC4 documentary that was very funny and quite sad at the same time. After that I thought I'd like to get into them a bit more (have left it a while now obviously but this thread has reminded me) - so: what d'you reckon I should get first/second/third/not bother getting?

Cheers

Darrell

Quote from: "Lookalike Mark Chapman"I've only really seen the bit in Magical Mystery Tour (presumably not representative of their work) and maybe a BBC4 documentary that was very funny and quite sad at the same time. After that I thought I'd like to get into them a bit more (have left it a while now obviously but this thread has reminded me) - so: what d'you reckon I should get first/second/third/not bother getting?

The Cornology box set with all the albums in is ridiculously cheap (something like £13.99).

The most representative 'best of' is Viv's 'The Bestiality Of The Bonzos'.

My favourite LP is Keynsham - it's just a perfect psyche-pop album.

bomb_dog

My Dad played me Gorilla on vinyl years ago when I was quite young, and I forgot about them until about 8 years ago when I picked up the box set for about £15 - an absolute bargain. He only really rated Gorilla and wasn't fussed with the later stuff. I can sort of see what he meant, though there are many more good tracks amongst the other CDs.

Always a good CD box to pull out for a listen.

Sadness

I love them SOOOOOOOO much it hurts!! I got into them in about 1982 , for which I'll always be proud because I was only 12/13 at the time. It was "The Beatles" connection for me , MMT and Macca's pseudnym smeared production of "I'm The Urban Spaceman" being obvious starting points but the REAL buzz I got was a re-run of some old "Beat Clubs" (Ah the Beat Club , someone MUST start a thread here on that AMAZING historical show!! And people say Germans are not hip , they were hip before us ALL with that show!!) , one episode they showed had THE BONZOS doing the sublime "The Equestrian Statue".

IT BLEW ME AWAY in performance and visuals but mostly it was a fantastic song (Still is!!).

So , I went away on a day trip in 1984 with my parents. I was on crutches from only recently being nearly killed by a robbed car!! I walked into "Woolworths" and saw a BONZOS tape which was inside a cardboard casing and HANGING UP on a weird "Tapeinsiderevolutionarynewboxtypedesignthingy". I prized open the MFP compilation tape which HAD "The Equestrian Statue" on it (Still does!!) and neatly put it in my jacket and hopped out of the shop without anyone batting an eyelid 'cause of my injury!!

I couldn't look at the amazing picture on the front of the cassette for two hours 'till I got home as me Dad would have sussed the theft and promptly killed me but I still have it and still cherish it!!

Sorry if I've gone on here but finally , I have a real love of the album "TADPOLES". The cover , the year (1969) and the fact that it features "The Hit" , "By A Waterfall" and my favourite "Ali Baba's Camel".....!!

Great stuff and I LOVVVVVVVVVE them so much , long live THE BONZOS!!

S.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "23 Daves"I think the problem with both the above bands - and prevailing attitudes to the Bonzos - is that humour and music are often seen as being things which can't successfully mix, especially by the critics.

Y'know, this is an opinion I've only ever heard in the last couple of years. It made no fucking sense when I first became aware of the prejudice, and it makes even less sense to me now. In fact, I feel like I've been slapped in the face everytime I see such nonsense trundled out. To my mind, humorous music tends to be the highest example of the art, and musical comedy ditto. Certainly, all the best bands are those with humour as a priority – Beatles, Divine Comedy, Billy Bragg, to name just three of my personal obsessions.

Clinton Morgan

Can't really add much to this thread except to say that the song 'Mr Apollo' gives me such a thrill. A fantastic song.

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "23 Daves"I think the problem with both the above bands - and prevailing attitudes to the Bonzos - is that humour and music are often seen as being things which can't successfully mix, especially by the critics.

Y'know, this is an opinion I've only ever heard in the last couple of years. It made no fucking sense when I first became aware of the prejudice, and it makes even less sense to me now. In fact, I feel like I've been slapped in the face everytime I see such nonsense trundled out. To my mind, humorous music tends to be the highest example of the art, and musical comedy ditto. Certainly, all the best bands are those with humour as a priority – Beatles, Divine Comedy, Billy Bragg, to name just three of my personal obsessions.

I absolutely agree with you.  I have no time for maudlin, witless nonsense indie bands and the like, all those I love are, well, the bands you mentioned, except for Beatles, who are witty and funny and make you want to listen to them.

All those looking for an introduction to the Bonzos, I'd recommend Cornology, it's very comprehensive and has three booklets which gives you a bit of a potted history.  I'd then go for Tadpoles or Gorilla.  I'll upload a few tracks later so you can have a listen.

Here's five nice little populist tracks for Bonzo beginners, and Darrell will upload another five later, including 3 solo tracks from Neil Innes, Vivian Stanshall and Roger Ruskin-Spear.

Hope it makes you sick.

I'm Bored

My Pink Half of the Drainpipe

I Want To Be With You

Mr Apollo

We Were Wrong

And purely for interest's sake, here is Taking My Oyster For Walkies by the Goodies, in which Graeme Garden sounds exactly like Vivian Stanshall.

Taking My Oyster For Walkies

phalmachine

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"
All those looking for an introduction to the Bonzos, I'd recommend Cornology, it's very comprehensive and has three booklets which gives you a bit of a potted history.  I'd then go for Tadpoles or Gorilla.  I'll upload a few tracks later so you can have a listen.

Thanks, I was just going to ask for advice on where to start.  My understanding of Cornology is that it has all their albums on it though.

And thanks for the Bonzo's tracks on SDJ everyone, I've been loving 'No Matter Who You Vote For' and 'Trouser Press'. I'll get round to contributing to that thread once I figure out how to upload things.

Nice for completism, though!  Also grab the Complete BBC Recordings and Anthropology, which has some gems on it.  Oh, and Kenysham of course!

To upload songs, use http://www.rapidshare.de and post the link.  Voila!

I'm listening to Teddy Boys Don't Knit at the moment, to be specific, The Cracks are Showing.  "The clocks are baring their teeth", what a fantastic lyric.

Bonzos should be in my in praise thread in CC, I get as furious when the "they were just wacky, surreal" argument is thrown at them as I do when it's levelled at Monty Python.   Nothing surreal about them, they expressed frustration the same way punk did.  Both railed against the blandness of the world, and it's funny now how alleged punk or rock bands claim to do so but are so unutterably bland and unoriginal.  If you know nothing just keep it to yourself.  And they have nothing to say it but insist on doing so anyway.

Darrell

If you liked Banana's picks up there, here is Stage 2. You are on your way to being a Hardcore Bonzoist.

Vivian Stanshall - Bass Macaw And Broken Bottles
Bonzo Dog Band - Piggy Bank Love
Roger Ruskin Spear - Patrick Moore
Bonzo Dog Band - Straight From My Heart
Neil Innes - Down That Road

See what you make of those. If you like those I can stretch to far more oddity/obscurity than that!

phalmachine

Thanks guys, I've downloaded a few but then it told me I've snatched too much for one hour, so will try again later.  This Rapidshare does seem stupidly easy use, if I understand it correctly.  I'l have to start wow-ing the SDJ thread with my musical catalogue. I do hope they like jazz fusion and folk-rock.

difbrook

I'd like to throw in my vote for "The Doughnut in Granny's Greenhouse" as the pick of the Bonzos.

a mate of mine heard it a while back and described it as "the album the Beatles would have made after Sgt Pepper if they'd kept the LSD and ditched all that Maharishi nonsense". He was being complimentary.

I love it for any number of reasons, but primarily because of "Humanoid Boogie", which is a virtually perfect rock song so far as I'm concerned, and "11 Moustachioed Daughters", in which the Doors receive what I can only describe as a joyous kicking.

not only that, but "We Are Normal" is on it.... the rest of the Bonzos back catalogue is tremendous as well, but this is the one that does it for me. "Cornology" is definitely recommended.

regarding Stanshall's two solo musical albums, I have no truck with this theory that you're only allowed to like one, and not the other - but for my tastes "Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead" just shades "Teddy Boys Don't Knit" because it's yet another one of those "mind unravelling in public" albums, a la "the Madcap Laughs". A difficult and challenging album to get into, but I love it to bits having made the effort. TBDK does have some very fine songs indeed on it though. I don't recall anyone else ever writing a song in tribute to Robert Graves, for a start...

I'm currently immersed in the Neil Innes back catalogue. A hugely talented man - "Feel No Shame" is a wonderful song which more people really should hear. And if I can get rapidshare sorted out this weekend, perhaps people will!

and don't even get me started on the perfectly formed little series that is "The Innes Book of Records". Just thinking about it mellows me out...

SurferGhost

Not appearing on the first page of a Bonzos thread? Me, with my reputation?

Honestly, Woofers, you would start one just when my computer has blown up (maybe it was made by Roger Ruskin Spear) and I can't contribute properly. I'll just have to bump it next week, then.

My top four and a bit:
1 Let's Make Up And Be Friendly
2 Doughnut
3 Keynsham
Joint 4th Tadpoles and Gorilla

And if you like We Were Wrong, BWw, there's a treat in store for you on that CD I will (eventually...see PM) be sending you.

difbrook

Here's "Feel No Shame", from Neil Innes.

http://rapidshare.de/files/1751534/Neil_Innes_-_Feel_No_Shame.mp3.html

it's a bit lo-fi, but it's the only copy I've got!

SurferGhost

Not got time to offer a considered post yet (I'm busy populating a new HD after a big crash, innit), but I don't particularly want to see this thread sink without trace either...

Two sides of Stanshall:

How The Zebra Got His Spots
The Cracks Are Showing

Paaaaul

The comeback single:-

The Bonzo Dog Band - No Matter Who You  Vote For, The Government Always Gets In

(get it while it's hot. It's been on rapidshare for nearly two weeks, so I can't guarantee that it'll stay on there for much longer)

A Passing Turk Slipper

fanny splendid

Are The Rutles worth £12 and a night in Chester?

Darrell

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Are The Rutles worth £12 and a night in Chester?

Yes.