Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:32:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Game Gear Micro

Started by Consignia, June 03, 2020, 07:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Sega have just announced the Game Gear Micro, and it's tiny.

What you'd think would be full of classics, there are 4 versions, each with 4 games on it. So to get all 16 games you have to fork out for all variations at 5000 Yen each. And the alternative colours look a bit shit:

The game selection isn't great either to be fair, although as it's currently a Japan exclusive and first party only. If it gets an international release, it might get games Westerners know and love.

Trailer

So not a great reveal all told. The trailer does make look a nice little toy, but the price excludes it from that. What would it take for you to get one? A load more games? Master System games and a bigger screen would be nice.

Mister Six

Game Gears were always shit so I suppose this is on-brand at least.

Kelvin

Boy, Sega, have I got an idea for you!

Pseudopath

Sega's Fog Gaming idea sounds typically batshit mental too. From what I can tell, it allows people to play real arcade games from home, but streamed from the actual local arcade cabinets when they're not in use? They've lost the fucking plot.

Cloud

More expensive shite to fill stockings with.  At least the economy will roll on

Looks too small to really be playable unless you're an ant?

Kelvin

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 04, 2020, 12:02:59 AM
Sega's Fog Gaming idea sounds typically batshit mental too. From what I can tell, it allows people to play real arcade games from home, but streamed from the actual local arcade cabinets when they're not in use? They've lost the fucking plot.

It's like Sega took a long, hard look at Nintendo's resurgence and concluded it must all be down to Labo. 

peanutbutter

Wasn't Sega's recent Genesis mini meant to be really nicely put together?

These look kinda clever to me in that they're obviously drastically smaller than the original, but the original was such a big chunky thing that they're probably still just about playable and able retain all the physical characteristics. The way smaller market for a game gear one should make a thing like this not viable though, and the 4 games per model is obviously just to bleed the few people who actually would give a shite about this one, just takes two of them being gifted to a game collector for them to feel obligated to get the other two...

Pseudopath

Quote from: Kelvin on June 04, 2020, 12:07:44 AM
It's like Sega took a long, hard look at Nintendo's resurgence and concluded it must all be down to Labo.

Ha ha! Great observation.

Jerzy Bondov

Game Gear Migraine more like! Haha

Sebastian Cobb

Not interested unless it can flatten 6 batteries in 5 minutes.

idunnosomename

i love game gears but I couldn't eat a whole one so this is perfect for me

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 04, 2020, 12:17:17 PM
i love game gears but I couldn't eat a whole one so this is perfect for me

Unfortunately I could eat a whole one, and these won't fill me up so I'll end up buying them all and gorging in one go just to feel sated.

idunnosomename

perhaps a king-sized game gear is more up your street to sate your mighty hunger

Spiteface

But you can't connect a 32X to a Nomad.

The box art is really nice, in that 90's Sega style.

The actual machine looks far too small to use for any length of time. Plus I owned a Game Gear at the time and still don't have any nostalgic feelings towards it, it was mostly shit.

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 04, 2020, 01:09:24 PM
perhaps a king-sized game gear is more up your street to sate your mighty hunger

Thanks! *chomp* *chomp* *munch* *munch*

SavageHedgehog

So the Dreamcast II isn't happening :(

Spiteface

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on June 04, 2020, 04:13:35 PM
So the Dreamcast II isn't happening :(

People had their chance in 1999. Hardly anyone bought the first one.

Kelvin

Nostalgia for Sega games and consoles just hasn't aged up like it has with Nintendo, Microsoft and Playstation; that's the real problem. Younger generations haven't grown up with Sega games defining their childhoods, or getting talked up in the mainstream games media. If anything they've just become a bit of an industry joke, or at best, a pity case. Since they haven't cultivated that nostalgia or a modern reputation for quality, they're pretty much doomed to steady decline, imo. Any hardware they release now, it's hard to imagine anyone other than hardcore fans and collectors even talking about it, let alone forking out cash.   

SavageHedgehog

A problem with Game Gear games was that generally didn't seem to have been designed very well to accommodate the small screen. Characters would often be tiny and indecipherable. So making a very small version seems potentially disastrous.

That's not to say I don't want one because of course I do. Sonic Chaos is a pretty good game at least.

One aspect of Sega machines that has aged well is the music, often lots of references to soundtracks from leftfield electronic musicians and further afield, sampled plenty of times too.

idunnosomename

well isn't a 20 year old going to think of sega like a 20 your old in 2000 thought of atari? and i think that had a lot of kudos

Sebastian Cobb

I doubt it. I think nintendo will be the thread running through these things. Once we got past nintendo/sega in the playstation era the console wars have been broadly similar with nintendo having its own identity, usually with technically inferior systems, but that's them. They know how to shit with the arse they've got and it's why on reappraisal their games tend to age better.

idunnosomename

the problem is if they play old sonic games they will find they are bad because basically playing along with the whole "go fast whooo" thing just means you die. so you just have to keep stopping. and what else did sega have as an exclusive. fucking NiGHTS???!?!??!

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 05, 2020, 10:36:44 PM
the problem is if they play old sonic games they will find they are bad because basically playing along with the whole "go fast whooo" thing just means you die. so you just have to keep stopping. and what else did sega have as an exclusive. fucking NiGHTS???!?!??!
Incorrect in every way. Genuinely one of the worst and most offensive posts in CaB history.

Thursday

Madhair, get here and destroy him!

madhair60

the problem is if they play old sonic games they will find they are bad because basically playing along with the whole "go fast whooo" thing just means you die. so you just have to keep stopping.

don't ever talk about Sonic again you basic fucking cunt. don't put his fucking name in your mouth. fuck you.

also, kelvin up there saying Sega haven't cultivated nostalgia made me burst out laughing. that's basically the only thing they've done for years.

samadriel

For fuck's sake, that screen is the size of a postage stamp! You don't miniaturise the part of the system you look at!

Consignia

Quote from: samadriel on June 06, 2020, 02:18:03 PM
For fuck's sake, that screen is the size of a postage stamp! You don't miniaturise the part of the system you look at!

There's add on which is a magnifying glass to rectifiy that problem:

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Consignia on June 06, 2020, 02:29:28 PM
There's add on which is a magnifying glass to rectifiy that problem:

thats amazing