Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Making a bitmap font file from an image

Started by the, June 04, 2020, 05:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

I already have an alphanumeric character set, drawn as a bitmap image. The characters are laid out in a line, A-Z, 0-9.

Each character is already set in its own 8x8 pixel tile.

What's the simplest way to turn this into a .fnt or similar bitmap file format, for use on my computer?

- I want it to stay monospaced (8 pixel width)
- I don't want to redraw it
- I don't want it converted to a vector font.

Thanks. (Thought this would be straightforward)

Blumf

the

Managed it in the end. Used an old utility called FontEdit (37 kB!).

It can't take in a bitmap file, but I found it will paste bitmap data from the clipboard (although only on a character-by-character basis, it won't paste in a whole sheet in one go).

Used the SAMPLE.FNT file as a basis, set the size to 8x8, and clicked on a character. Then in Photoshop copied the appropriate tile from my image, and pasted it in FontEdit. Repeat for each character.

Massively tedious to do them one-by-one, but at least felt like I was getting somewhere throughout. Cheers though

the

If anyone reading happens to be trying to do the same as I was, I just found a better utility for the task - Fony

It can import from a bitmap file. Though I couldn't get this to work properly until I told it that the background colour was white (my bitmap image is black text on white background), as opposed to telling it that the font colour was black.

Anyway, a nice little utility for working with bitmap fonts. It outputs .fon too.