Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:16:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beards and masks

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 04, 2020, 05:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

If one is not wearing a medical grade mask but a dust mask or cloth mask, should they shave before wearing one? I usually do before going shopping wearing my mask but I was on a Zoom call with a friend who has a big bushy beard and he told me goes shopping with a mask. Should I advise him to shave? Do I need to keep shaving the day before I put my mask on? I think there needs to be clearer guidance around masks.

Sebastian Cobb

Probably matters if you're expecting the mask to filter stuff you breathe in, but the cloth and paper masks that stop you potentially passing it to others aren't sealed anyway and aren't that fine so I doubt it makes any difference.

My biggest problem is they cause my glasses to steam up.

chveik

it does make a difference. medical advice is that you need to shave before wearing a mask.

earl_sleek

Unless you are wearing a clinical mask (which you won't be, outside of a clinical setting where it has been determined this type of mask is needed) which needs to seal on the face it doesn't make a difference. I work in care, we are using Type IIR fluid resistant masks but beards aren't an issue unless they're so big and bushy the mask cannot be worn at all.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: chveik on June 04, 2020, 07:59:23 PM
it does make a difference. medical advice is that you need to shave before wearing a mask.

Those are for n95's and the like that need a seal though.

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/workforce/nhs-staff-urged-to-shave-off-beards-so-coronavirus-masks-will-fit-28-02-2020/

olliebean

I've just been using a T-Shirt tied around my head so it wraps around the sides and completely covers my beard.

Thomas

Beards and masks

Graham Linehan finally learns of the pandemic.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 04, 2020, 05:41:57 PM
I think there needs to be clearer guidance around masks.
When it comes to face coverings I don't think I'd care too much about a beard.  It'll greatly minimise droplet spread whatever you do.

Birdie

Who would have thought a virus rather than near universal derision would have brought about the death of the hipster beard?