Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:05:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 4

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 04, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Got to say I do like that thumb gag.

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on November 08, 2020, 10:07:41 PM

Is that one of those security tags in Chucklebrother's hat?  Does he steal his costumes?

Norton Canes

JamesTC

In another era, I really think the Chuckle Brothers could have been movie stars. They are my generation's Laurel and Hardy.

In Classic Doctor Who news, it seems likely that Season 8 is the next Blu-Ray release. Will be interesting to see how improved Terror of the Autons, The Mind of Evil and Colony in Space are.

Norton Canes

Insta-quiz! Why are the last spoken words of the Sixth Doctor so ludicrously appropriate, I find it amusing?

Norton Canes

Quote from: JamesTC on November 11, 2020, 05:28:43 PM
In Classic Doctor Who news, it seems likely that Season 8 is the next Blu-Ray release. Will be interesting to see how improved Terror of the Autons, The Mind of Evil and Colony in Space are

Mmm, looking forward to the Eye of Axos in glorious hi-def.

purlieu

Not a massive fan of Axos as a story, but a great season otherwise. Be happy to add that to my collection.

crankshaft

When I think of Axos I always think of Sue Perryman's (The Wife In Space) comment that their spaceship looks like both an enormous dick AND an enormous arsehole.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 11, 2020, 05:33:04 PM
Insta-quiz! Why are the last spoken words of the Sixth Doctor so ludicrously appropriate, I find it amusing?

A genuine, objectively-answerable question, by the way (albeit a bit cryptic)

daf

"Hm, these old crocs are wearing a bit thin . . . whoops!"

[slips on excerise bike pedal stabbing his ballbag on the chopper-style gearstick triggering regeneration]

"Quick, Mel - hide the spooooo . . ."

Norton Canes

No one? OK, to be fair I don't think I'd have got it either.

At the end of the final Hyperion scene in Terror Of The Vervoids - which chronologically is the Sixth Doctor's last appearance, as all the trial scenes and the events in The Ultimate Foe are set before it - the Doctor's final spoken words (he sings 'On With The Mottley' as the TARDIS dematerialises) are, in response to Mel saying "That's his idea of a compliment, comparing me to an elephant", "But so ludicrously appropriate, I find it amusing".

See what I did there.

The Roofdog

When does Dimensions In Time happen then

purlieu

I think the books and audios would have something to say about that.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Roofdog on November 12, 2020, 05:16:26 PM
When does Dimensions In Time happen then

About three different time zones.

purlieu

Norton Canes

With 23rd November swinging round again, Outpost Gallifrey's annual Top Three Tournament - where the bestest Doctor Who story ever ever is decided by a couple of hundred fans voting through endless rounds of stories - has reached its final. This year there is much excitement that a Sylvester McCoy story has somehow survived to take its place among the line-up of more conventionally accepted classics :

The War Games
Inferno
Genesis of the Daleks
The Robots of Death
The Curse of Fenric
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
Heaven Sent

Last year Fenric and Remembrance Of The Daleks made it to the final, agonisingly splitting the McCoy vote and finishing in second and third place to Genesis. This time round it looks frighteningly like the McCoy fans have got their shit together! (though Remembrance is the better of the two stories by miles)

The only other story there that's not previously made the final (or indeed won the tournament) is Robots Of Death, which gets my vote - love me a bit of fancy-hatted lucanol bickering.

Anyway it's not too late to get over there and place your votes. And there's a plethora of voting stats available for your perusal on the tournament discussion thread! It's how we pass our days away in the merry old land of OG. 

Norton Canes

It's not even called Outpost Gallifrey any more is it.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 17, 2020, 09:51:36 AM
The War Games
Inferno
Genesis of the Daleks
The Robots of Death
The Curse of Fenric
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
Heaven Sent

'kin hell that's a joyless list, 3 stories set in World Wars and 2 more about Nazi analogues, would be off to scrub my brain with Carnival of Monsters & Love & Monsters after sitting through that lot

The Roofdog

Quote from: The Roofdog on November 17, 2020, 11:35:54 AM
Carnival of Monsters & Love & Monsters

'kin hell this list is obsessed with monsters

Bad Ambassador

The absences of The Time Meddler, The Mind Robber, Day of the Daleks, The Sea Devils, Invasion of the Dinosaurs, The Seeds of Doom, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, City of Death, Logopolis, The Caves of Androzani, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Gridlock, Midnight, Vincent and the Doctor, Listen and World Enough and Time should be bemoaned.

Norton Canes

The Seeds of Doom, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, City of Death, The Caves of Androzani and World Enough and Time are all past winners. Sometimes a more leftfield story picks up some momentum, but mostly it's one of the usual 'big hitters' that ends up on top. Kinda a few years ago was a nice exception, though every year before or since it's bombed out in the early rounds.

Those previous winners in full:

2019: Genesis of the Daleks
2018: World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls
2017: Heaven Sent
2016: The Caves of Androzani
2015: Inferno
2014: The Day of the Doctor
2013: The Power of the Daleks
2012: Kinda, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (finished level on points)
2011: Genesis of the Daleks
2010: The War Games
2009: The Caves of Androzani
2008: The Seeds of Doom, The Caves of Androzani (finished level on points)
2007: Human Nature/The Family of Blood
2006: The Caves of Androzani
2005: The Caves of Androzani
2004: The Talons of Weng-Chiang
2003: Inferno
2002: City of Death

JamesTC

Pfft, we all know The Tomb of the Cybermen is the best story.

And there is only one story with blood on the title that should be vying for a top spot and it ain't The Family of Blood*

I am surprised The War Games is there. I've always had it in my Top 10 but I didn't think it was held in really high esteem.

*Family Is also a classic though.

pigamus

I don't mind what wins as long is it's not the smug and overrated City of Death

Deanjam

The greatest Doctor Who story remains Pyramids of Mars. You people and your differing opinions make me sick.

daf

The Romans, The Time Meddler, The Myth Makers - basically, anything with Vicki in it!

Troughton's the best Doctor, but with some of the worst stories - hardly any historicals (which are the best!) and frigging 'bases under siege' over and over again.

daf

Quote from: JamesTC on November 17, 2020, 04:16:15 PM
I am surprised The War Games is there. I've always had it in my Top 10 but I didn't think it was held in really high esteem..

It's Troughton's 'Abbey Road' - going out on top with a really long one.

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on November 17, 2020, 04:44:16 PM
It's Troughton's 'Abbey Road' - going out on top with a really long one.

Pertwee used to say that it only got longer when he took over!!

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: JamesTC on November 17, 2020, 04:16:15 PM
And there is only one story with blood on the title that should be vying for a top spot and it ain't The Family of Blood*

I like The Stones of Blood - in fact I've watched two episodes of it this afternoon - but I wouldn't go that far.