Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:38:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 4

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 04, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Quote from: frajer on March 10, 2021, 05:18:04 PM
Same! Pre-ordered it back in November, apparently Amazon listed it at £38.99 originally, the FOOLS.

Mine arrived yesterday and I spent the evening wallowing in Autons. It's a thing of beauty, isn't it?

It's a damn sexy thing.

EDIT: new page lusting.

JamesTC

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 10, 2021, 05:29:04 PM

Totally never seen the point of CGI on classic series releases. I don't want it to look shiny and new! I want it to look a bit washed out and fuzzy like I remember it. A new kitchen background? Think I can live without that.

The snake in Kinda was ace though.

The work on the CSO for the CGI option is a revelation. Really is incredible how they managed to fix it as much as they have. The CGI Nestene at the end is a bit much but it matches Terrance Dicks' description of what he wanted and is based on one of the Target covers. I certainly won't watch it switched off again.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on March 10, 2021, 05:44:06 PM
I've been going through the Pertwee era on BritBox recently and it's the updated effects version of Day Of The Daleks they have on there. Wasn't really a fan of them. Stood out a bit too much for me.

It's the Dalek voices that ruin the DVD special version of Day of the Daleks for me.  The originals were very poor but Nicholas Briggs doesn't contribute era-appropriate replacements to the mix.  They sound like his epic Time War Daleks when he should really have focused on making them sound like the Daleks of the 60s or Genesis.

Such a missed opportunity; it actually leaves me quite annoyed they didn't spot that and fix it.

Jerzy Bondov

I really like the CSO replacement but they have no business tinkering with that little poo goblin, that's one of the best things in all of Doctor Who

Replies From View

It's not a George Lucas situation at least; the originals are still presented on their respective releases.

Bit concerning that BritBox is being inconsistent with which version they are streaming, though.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on March 10, 2021, 10:45:14 PM
It's the Dalek voices that ruin the DVD special version of Day of the Daleks for me.  The originals were very poor but Nicholas Briggs doesn't contribute era-appropriate replacements to the mix.  They sound like his epic Time War Daleks when he should really have focused on making them sound like the Daleks of the 60s or Genesis.

Such a missed opportunity; it actually leaves me quite annoyed they didn't spot that and fix it.

I forgot about the Dalek voices. Was there a reason given for why they got Briggs in to redo them? I don't remember them being particularly awful in the original version or anything.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on March 11, 2021, 12:39:05 PM
I forgot about the Dalek voices. Was there a reason given for why they got Briggs in to redo them? I don't remember them being particularly awful in the original version or anything.

They're pretty bad in the original.  It's clear that nobody could remember how Daleks sounded when they made it.  https://youtu.be/2A4E8eI-6YM

Compared with the new version here, which makes them sound like they're ramping towards the finale of Eccleston's series:  https://youtu.be/uiUpUvOrivI

Whenever you get those official documentaries about Dalek stories on the DVDs there are three "negatives" mentioned by the talking heads:  the Chase was silly, the voices in Day of the Daleks, and the Daleks "used to be organic lifeforms" and are just accepted as being robots in Destiny.  (And something about Davros eating a mars bar.)

Norton Canes

Do they fix "Nocomplications"?

frajer

daf

purlieu

Yes, it's wonderful.

I always think Styggron's utterly daft intonation of "are the preparations com-pleet?" in The Android Invasion deserves more recognition: https://www.instagram.com/p/2MOUGCmgIy/

Deanjam

I'm watching the Behind the Sofa extras on the bluray and have discovered that Sacha Dhawan & Anjli Mohindra are a real life couple. Attractive pair.

Malcy

Quote from: Deanjam on March 11, 2021, 07:55:27 PM
I'm watching the Behind the Sofa extras on the bluray and have discovered that Sacha Dhawan & Anjli Mohindra are a real life couple. Attractive pair.

I had seen quite a few pictures of them together and thought they hung out a fair bit. Jammy bugger!

purlieu

Christ, if they have kids they're going to be perfect.

Ambient Sheep

My initial thoughts:

1. Blimey, you mean he's not gay?!

2.  She's far too young for you, you dirty old... oh, ok, she's not.  36 & 31.  How time flies.

3.  Shit, that means it's nearly 10 years ago that Elisabeth Sladen passed away.  Doesn't seem possible.

Anyway, hope they're very happy together, the lucky sods.

notjosh

Quote from: Deanjam on March 10, 2021, 06:18:31 PM
It's an interesting alternative at best. So long as I can still watch the original version then I have no real problem with it. I bought a Star Trek: TOS set and they had updated the effects, but the original versions weren't on it. The extras were full of twats talking about how they'd 'improved' things.

Don't know which set you picked up but the one I bought had the option to watch the originals. Good luck finding them on a streaming service anywhere though.

JamesTC

Quote from: notjosh on March 12, 2021, 10:35:45 AM
Don't know which set you picked up but the one I bought had the option to watch the originals. Good luck finding them on a streaming service anywhere though.

The DVD only has the remaster. The Blu-ray has both.

Deanjam

Yes, my set is a DVD, so that explains it.

Quote from: Camp Tramp on January 13, 2021, 07:15:58 PM
Those ones are already out.

Resurrection and Revelation aren't very good.

Resurrection is bizarre. Think its about page 49 or 50 where there's a page long detour on jam. Like a rubbish dark attempt at Douglas Adams.

purlieu

Saward's Target novelisations from the 80s were all attempts at being Douglas Adams. They're frequently quite amusing, but very unoriginal and it's hard to ignore the fact that it feels like he's trying to cover up narrative weaknesses with out of place humour.

Quote from: purlieu on March 14, 2021, 10:19:30 PM
Saward's Target novelisations from the 80s were all attempts at being Douglas Adams.

Apart from his first one, The Visitation, which is relatively standard.

Saward's Target novelisations from the 80s were all attempts at being Douglas Adams. They're frequently quite amusing, but very unoriginal and it's hard to ignore the fact that it feels like he's trying to cover up narrative weaknesses with out of place humour.

Cheers.

I look forwards to Revelation.

Jerzy Bondov

Just got my copy of Rob Shearman's Dalek novelisation! I'm going to read fuck out of it

frajer

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 15, 2021, 08:55:26 PM
Just got my copy of Rob Shearman's Dalek novelisation! I'm going to read fuck out of it

Been listening to the audiobook today, it's an absolute corker. Enjoy!

Norton Canes

Saward's Target novelisations from the 80s were all attempts at being Douglas Adams. They're frequently quite amusing, but very unoriginal and it's hard to ignore the fact that it feels like he's trying to cover up narrative weaknesses with out of place humour

Don't forget, if it's straight-down-the-line target style adaptations you're after there are always these, which could have come straight from the pen of Terrance Dicks:

Resurrection of the Daleks by Paul Scoones | Revelation of the Daleks by Jon Preddle

purlieu

Yes, those are the two I read when a year or two back when I was working my way through. They're surprisingly decent. I'll probably get around to Saward's once I've finished my whole run, whenever that may be.

Revelation better.

Also this:

daf

Gurke and Hare

How much ruder than the contents of the interview must he have been for them to think "Fuck it, publish"?