Author Topic: Old Doctor Who - Part 4  (Read 3745 times)

Re: Old Doctor Who - Part 4
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2020, 02:09:38 PM »
Trailer for The Power Of The Daleks SE.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fv36UuCkUtg&t

The while since I saw the story so don't know if it looks any better or not.

Either way, I ain't buying it again.

[edited to include quote; new page rage]

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2020, 05:26:12 PM »
Remember when trailers came out before the thing they were promoting?

daf

• some weirdo taking the piss
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2020, 06:55:51 PM »
They need to do a split-screen comparison video - this looks exactly the same to me, except Pat is now wearing a different pair of trousers.

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2020, 06:58:26 PM »
Wish they'd let the people who did the Mission To The Unknown remake loose on this.

daf

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2020, 07:01:45 PM »
There's still the Season 4 blu ray set to come of course * - so they could always do something for that as an extra.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* not announced yet - just that they are planning to do all 27 seasons . . . that's right, Pancho - I said 27 - Paul McGann's going to have his own chuffing box!)

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2020, 08:12:44 PM »
They need to do a split-screen comparison video - this looks exactly the same to me, except Pat is now wearing a different pair of trousers.

The majority of the changes are more about making characters more expressive, it seems. The original animation, as good as it was, was very stilted.

daf

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2020, 02:32:07 PM »
Power of the Daleks split-screen comparison :

https://vimeo.com/442353545

(<--left 2016  |  2020 right-->)

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2020, 04:45:38 PM »
Power of the Daleks split-screen comparison :

https://vimeo.com/442353545

(<--left 2016  |  2020 right-->)

I preferred the animation on the left. Aside from adding fog that makes the animation less clear, is there any real difference?

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2020, 04:57:50 PM »
I watched the recon as I've seen the animation several times already. Very good recon though I can't help but wonder if some of those AI powered that people like Clayton Hickman are using to restore old Who pictures could be used to improve the look of the telesnaps to a better standard. Just a thought rather than a criticism.

I actually wondered watching it if I prefer recons or animation. There were moments where I genuinely felt like I was watching it which never happens on the animation. Either way it doesn't matter as thankfully these releases give you the opportunity to watch both in rotations which always makes the story feel fresh. Hopefully recons remain a standard even with the Season 1-6 releases.

The new documentary is rather impressive as I think it was largely made in lockdown. The other odds and sods on Disc 3 are great too. Whicker's World was particularly enjoyable.

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2020, 05:04:49 PM »
The animation on the right seems slightly smoother. Also the Doctor is wearing different trousers for some reason.

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2020, 05:11:57 PM »
The animation on the right seems slightly smoother. Also the Doctor is wearing different trousers for some reason.

Tartan is incredibly difficult to animate so they've made his trousers plain in order to animate more movement in his legs.

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2020, 10:46:32 PM »
Lytton is getting a comic spin-off.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/room5064/lytton-a-comic-mini-series-by-doctor-whos-eric-saward/rewards

First issue is out soon. Be good to get a Sabalom Glitz one next!

Bad Ambassador

• Sit down, Mario!
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2020, 01:30:27 PM »
Info released for the animated Fury from the Deep, out on 14 September.

Animation by a new animation house, produced by Gary Russell.
Extras to include a commentary, making of documentary, all surviving footage, animation feature, archive interviews with writer Victor Pemberton and visual effects designer Peter Day, teaser trailer, photo gallery, PDF scripts and The Slide - a 1965 radio series based on an earlier version of the script, starring Roger Delgado.

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2020/08/03/fury-from-the-deep-animation-to-be-released-on-dvd-blu-ray-and-steelbook-in-september-2020/

daf

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2020, 02:00:32 PM »
Cheers - I was wondering what had happened to this.

The Standard cover is quite nice this time, but as I started collecting the steelbooks, I'm sticking with them (curse you OCD!)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:11:46 PM by daf »

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2020, 03:26:18 PM »
Info released for the animated Fury from the Deep, out on 14 September.

Animation by a new animation house, produced by Gary Russell.
Extras to include a commentary, making of documentary, all surviving footage, animation feature, archive interviews with writer Victor Pemberton and visual effects designer Peter Day, teaser trailer, photo gallery, PDF scripts and The Slide - a 1965 radio series based on an earlier version of the script, starring Roger Delgado.

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2020/08/03/fury-from-the-deep-animation-to-be-released-on-dvd-blu-ray-and-steelbook-in-september-2020/

It has been confirmed that this one does have proper Production Subtitles too unlike the previous animations. Really stuffed with extras.

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2020, 03:25:29 PM »
Was watching a sealed Series 14 Blu Ray boxset on eBay. Went for £50 which I thought was quite reasonable considering what I've seen people pay in the past. Seller has another one for sale as well if anyone has been trying to get one at a half decent price.

Tags: