Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:54:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 4

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 04, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crankshaft

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 14, 2021, 06:48:26 PM
The next one after this is Human Nature, so you might want hang on a little longer...

Seconded. You're about to hit the NA's motherlode - Human Nature, Original Sin, The Also People, SLEEPY, Just War...some of the best Doctor Who of all time. Hang in there!

purlieu

Ok, I'll see how the next few go then. I'll admit I'm curious about Human Nature, what with having seen the TV version.

daf

The audiobook version read by Lisa Bowerman (Benny) is superb.

JamesTC

Storyboard animatics for The Evil of the Daleks have been found on YouTube (and quickly taken down) for an upcoming release. So that appears to confirm the earlier reports that The Evil of the Daleks and The Abominable Snowmen are next in line to be animated.

There would be just four stories of the Troughton era left to animate. Tantalisingly close to the entire era being "complete".

daf

Missed them, but there's a few images on Josh Snares video about it > > >  here

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: daf on April 16, 2021, 02:41:41 PM
Missed them, but there's a few images on Josh Snares video about it > > >  here

I know it was made in black and white, but this looks ridiculous.

Deanjam

Quote from: JamesTC on April 16, 2021, 01:53:14 PM
Storyboard animatics for The Evil of the Daleks have been found on YouTube (and quickly taken down) for an upcoming release. So that appears to confirm the earlier reports that The Evil of the Daleks and The Abominable Snowmen are next in line to be animated.

There would be just four stories of the Troughton era left to animate. Tantalisingly close to the entire era being "complete".

And hopefully our first sixties blu ray set.

Replies From View

Josh Snares has the most irritating voice ever

daf

Hehe! I know what you mean - the vocal equivalent of a quizzically arched eyebrow (he is lovely, though!)

Replies From View

You know Pamela Stephenson's impression of Esther Rantzen?  Josh Snares sounds like a flattened version of that.  When he's doing his scripts every single line has an unpleasant descending cadence.

It's a shame because some of the content (eg his missing episodes videos) would be very watchable apart from that.  He needs someone else to deliver his material.

daf

More animated fun :

DOCTOR WHO SERIES ONE BUT IT'S POORLY ANIMATED

[Simon Bates NSFW warning : contains loads of sexual swearwords]

Norton Canes

M-CORP

Tonight I saw Nathan Barley and Limmy's Homemade Show. They were decent[nb]For those who care - i.e. three of you - Nathan Barley is a great character study because everyone's so morally grey, and the world-building is excellent. Limmy's Homemade Show deserves credit for how professionally it's put together and how unique it is, but I personally found there to be too much repetition. They're great shows, aside from the fact I simply wasn't laughing as often.[/nb], but they didn't make me laugh until I ached, at least not in the way that a self-professed 'poorly animated' video on YouTube has.

Does it say something about society if YouTube is funnier than mainstream television, as I have found on multiple occasions? I hope it doesn't, because if it did, that comment would simply be, 'Oh, bugger.'

Norton Canes

I did lose it at
Spoiler alert
"New penis"
[close]

purlieu

There's possibly a divide between the types of humour that end up on television these days[nb]Nathan Barley is 16 years old and that's kind of terrifying[/nb] and end up on the internet. There's generally less telly that's based around being as ludicrously daft as possible as often as possible than there is stuff online trying to do that. So for those of us who've grown up with Python, the Comic Strip and their own shows, Chris Morris, Father Ted, Peter Serafinowicz, whatever it may be, the kind of humour we're after definitely seems to be more internet based these days. There's probably an interesting discussion as to why, although it's probably not best suited to Old Doctor Who - Part 4.

Replies From View

I thought it was shrieking garbage.

Deanjam

Ten years to the day that Elisabeth Sladen died. Where has the time gone.

Ambient Sheep

I realised myself a few weeks ago that that was coming up, and had huge difficulty processing it.  Doesn't seem possible.

Malcy

Norton Canes

Just noticed that Myra Frances, Lady Adrasta in The Creature From The Pit, passed away on 30th March this year.

The Guardian obit has this fantastic picture of her from the ITV series Hadleigh (1976) looking the absolute epitome of mid-70's chic:

Replies From View

I'd let her pebble my mill!

pigamus

She looks like the woman out of Blakes 7

With maybe a bit of Stephanie Beacham thrown in

Replies From View

I'd let her beecham my powders!

Norton Canes

Something something my creature in her pit something

pigamus

I'd thrash about in her wolfweeds

I'd let her ITV series my Hadleigh (1976).

daf

purlieu

Doctor Who and the Lack of Obvious Amusing Title Based On the Cover Image Sanctuary by David A. McIntee.

David McIntee likes historical stories. He likes to get in deep with richness and detail, researching the era of the tale and filling his books with the results of this research. This reaches a peak with Sanctuary, which is a pure historical. The first written since Black Orchid, and the first I've read since... hmm, a Fourth Doctor one which had some brief sci-fi to try and make it not a pure historical, despite it definitely being one. Asylum, maybe?

The issue I have with McIntee's historical stories, and I acknowledge that this is as much a problem with me as it is the books, is that they require you to absolutely 'get' the era. I know next to nothing about the crusades, and so huge swathes of this book were completely lost on me. While the '60s TV historicals were intended to be educational, McIntee's books throw you in at the deep end and expect you to play catch-up. I could definitely do some research before reading, but that's really not what I fancy doing when ploughing through a series of pulpy TV tie-in sci-fi novels. It doesn't have to be this way. I've read historical novels before that are expertly written and allow you to pick up everything you need to know about the era without spelling it out. It's one thing I enjoy about Hilary Mantel's books: after reading A Place of Greater Safety, I went online to research the French Revolution, because it was so absorbing and I wanted to know more. I hadn't the faintest idea about it beforehand.

So yes, it's a richly textured book, with a huge number of characters, numerous subplots involving the politics and religious turmoil of the time, plenty of era-specific details that are undoubtedly spot on. It's also a staggeringly boring book. This is especially down to The Doctor's plot, which involves him doing a Hartnell by finding his way into a safe position and being generally unable to do anything to save anyone. It's like The Aztecs, in that regard, only written without any sense of fun or wonder. Benny is given more to do, and saves the story. Her gradually developing romance with Guy is believable, and by far the best written part of the book. She's warm and very funny, and manages to keep her own plot moving forward quite well. The unexpected coda is a bit of a gut punch, and delivers something genuinely memorable, which is hard to say about the rest of the book. Benny's managed to get through the NAs without too much emotional damage so far, so this was definitely something new. Will be interested to see if it picks up with the next novel.

That 300 page book took me three weeks to trudge through. I'm hoping the next few live up to their reputation and help me re-engage with the series, because it's definitely reached "this isn't especially fun" stage now.

samadriel

I think the next one's Human Nature? That should be refreshing.

Last pure historical I read was the original-crew PDA "The Witch Hunters" by Steve Lyons. That was bloody good, basically The Crucible with the Doctor, Ian, Barbara and Susan chucked in. I've been pining for pure historicals since DW came back; they don't have to be dull, the Fires of Pompeii was pretty good until the crap monsters showed up.

purlieu

The Witch Hunters was pretty good, yeah. The Plotters and The Roundheads were my two favourites.

Started Human Nature last night and it's definitely a breath of fresh air. Just immediately much more energetic and exciting to read.