Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:53:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 4

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 04, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Just War is a pure historical and that one's quite good.

Where do I put my thoughts on rewatching old new Who from the start?

I've just spotted Perry Benson in the Eleventh Hour. That's made my Sunday.

Norton Canes

Quote from: A Hat Like That on May 02, 2021, 03:10:47 PM

Some kind of register, at this rate

pigamus

Quote from: A Hat Like That on May 02, 2021, 03:10:47 PM

I've just spotted Perry Benson in the Eleventh Hour. That's made my Sunday.

That's amazing that, you wouldn't have thought an LA defence attorney would even fit in the storyline

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: A Hat Like That on May 02, 2021, 03:10:47 PMWhere do I put my thoughts on rewatching old new Who from the start?

I do think we need an "Old New Doctor Who" thread, as I've said before.  Maybe I should just make one.  Failing that, I'd prefer the current New Who thread to this one... but that's just me.

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 02, 2021, 08:47:56 PM
Some kind of register, at this rate

That's going in the Guffaw thread! :-D

Replies From View

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 03, 2021, 03:13:28 AM
Failing that, I'd prefer the current New Who thread to this one... but that's just me.

New Who threads are labelled after the most current series and I don't think a committed rewatch of any previous series would suit them.

A dedicated thread called something like 'Doctor Who:  a 2005-2017 rewatch' would be best.

daf

Ambient Sheep

Excellent, thank you daf!

Only problem I have now is where to put the damn thing next time I post the big thread list!  Might make a new category to cover the handful of other new-Who rewatch threads there have been (like madhair's and Fry's).

Actually, I suppose I should post the revised list in that thread, shouldn't I?  No time now, bother.

JamesTC

The Mirror seem to think Galaxy 4 is getting the animation treatment. Apparently the journalist who reported it has been reliable with Who need in the past.

Odd choice given some of the Troughton stories still available to be animated. But I guess if they wanted to test the waters with a Hartnell, Galaxy 4 is the most straightforward.

Replies From View

Yes that is a strange one.  But I suppose if they want to tackle season 3 they need to start somewhere, and where better than the first story?

Malcy

They've decided that they are animating the easiest episodes first. A lot of the historicals are harder to animate due to all the different costumes apparently.

Deanjam

But a lot of them aren't shit like Galaxy 4.

purlieu

Season 24 box and Galaxy 4? They really are spoiling us this year.

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on May 07, 2021, 05:45:48 PM

Oohh I didn't know the first Doctor ever got fossilised in Pompeii.  Which episode was it in?

The Roofdog

When is that S24 box dropping? I have an Amazon preorder but still no date on it. Any word on the next one? Reckon we're probably due another Davison

jenna appleseed

purlieu

Doctor Who and One That Looks a Lot Like That David Tennant One Human Nature by Paul Cornell

I don't really know how to review this one, because I couldn't help but read it from the perspective of having seen the TV version. So I suppose I'll mostly compare it to that. Actually, I was amazed at how different the two are. The main beats of the story are the same - the Doctor as human, the boarding school on the eve of WWI, the family seeking him, most of the characters - but loads of it is different. Benny and The Doctor barely interact for the first half of the book; The Doctor has become human as a kind of holiday; the Family have slightly different intentions, and are generally a lot funnier than on TV; prominent roles are given to a suffragette, a gay museum owner, and a Labour politician, as well as a bunch of soldiers acting as UNIT (specifically like those in The Daemons); a nuclear bomb turns the school to glass; most of the family - here referred to as Aubertides - end up dead. There are numerous other subtle differences: names, jobs, etc. There are no scarecrows.
On the whole, I think the book is definitely the better version of the story. The nuke kind of undermines the unexpected horrors of WWI, but otherwise everything is given more room to breathe, the characters mostly feel more rounded, and ultimately, Tennant's Doctor is the most human-like of all his incarnations, meaning the difference between him and John Smith is nothing compared to McCoy's distant, alien portrayal - especially at this stage in the New Adventures. After all The Doctor's been through in the last few books, Smith's discoveries and decisions take on a lot more weight. 10 cried all the bloody time, but having 7 cry feels more dramatic. Plus, at this point, Benny is a far better companion than Martha.
I can completely understand why it was so well received on publication. It's a type of Who story that had never been told before, and yet managed to be so without gratuitous body horror or mind-bending nonsense. I wish I'd been able to read it without any expectations.

Deanjam

Quote from: The Roofdog on May 08, 2021, 11:26:59 AM
When is that S24 box dropping? I have an Amazon preorder but still no date on it. Any word on the next one? Reckon we're probably due another Davison

June 21st.

JamesTC

The next set is rumoured to be Season 20 as Davison and co recorded some stuff at a convention for it but that might be delayed until they can finish that feature.

Malcy

Norton Canes

Nice. Appropriately self-deprecating. The slip into
Spoiler alert
the out-take
[close]
is sublime.

Quote from: JamesTC on May 17, 2021, 03:27:07 PM
The next set is rumoured to be Season 20 as Davison and co recorded some stuff at a convention for it but that might be delayed until they can finish that feature.

I've not been keeping track of these. Will S20 include The Five Doctors?

JamesTC

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 17, 2021, 05:38:08 PM

I've not been keeping track of these. Will S20 include The Five Doctors?

It is considered part of Season 20, so it will be included.

Likewise The Twin Dilemma with Season 21 and The Savages/The Tenth Planet with Season 4. No story will be moved.

Gurke and Hare

Ooh, I hope one of the extras is a long documentary exploring the background of
Spoiler alert
The Ergon
[close]

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Malcy on May 17, 2021, 04:14:49 PM
https://youtube.com/watch?v=mTFFl9VndC8

Trailer for S24.

Looks as embarrassingly cringeworthy as I remember. So brash and gaudy.

Norton Canes

I guess The Five Doctors would have to feature heavily in a season 20 trailer. Can't think of much else that would provide a compelling hook. 'At Home with Kari and Olvir'?

There could be a hilarious bit where they play fetch with the Garm.

samadriel

I just watched the Raston Warrior Robot vs Cybermen scene from The Five Doctors. When I was a kid, I thought that scene was cool as fuck.

And it still is! I always wanted more of that robot.

Bad Ambassador

Brendon School reunion? Tegan's cousin having flashbacks during Sunday lunch?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 18, 2021, 10:08:40 AM
I guess The Five Doctors would have to feature heavily in a season 20 trailer. Can't think of much else that would provide a compelling hook. 'At Home with Kari and Olvir'?

Maybe they can get Clunes to dress up again? He's the federator in his own right now, presenting a promotional Manussa Tourism promotional video or some such?

daf

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 18, 2021, 12:43:21 AM
Looks as embarrassingly cringeworthy as I remember. So brash and gaudy.

Now that definitely looks like it was aimed squarely at the kids (and little kids at that) - makes Chibnall's stuff look like Berlin Alexanderplatz!

That said, I ordered it the instant it was available! :)

Norton Canes

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 18, 2021, 01:31:16 PM
Brendon School reunion? Tegan's cousin having flashbacks during Sunday lunch?

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 18, 2021, 01:32:00 PM
Maybe they can get Clunes to dress up again? He's the federator in his own right now, presenting a promotional Manussa Tourism promotional video or some such?

A spoof episode of Naked Attraction featuring the Ergon, Martin Clunes, Ibbotson, the Garm, Leee John and Kamelion