Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:37:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 4

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 04, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Macra, Faceless Ones and Fury were all great. The only issue I had with them was the arms for Fury which looked like monkey arms but after a few minutes I got used to it.

Reign was the only really awful one. They had somebody involved with it on the Missing Episodes podcast (would highly recommend it) and the brief from high up was bafflingly to make it more modern with the shots and editing. Hopefully on the Season 1 set they can make some sort of recon to replace the animation but no telesnaps makes that difficult.

The Giggling Bean

I've not watched Reign for ages. I remember people really hating the animation on that but I don't remember much about it. I don't think it bothered me so much at the time...probably because I was so excited they were starting up the animation again.

There were elements, like arm length, which were frustrating when you noticed them...but easy to overlook after a while. This animation looks so ugly and the characters are all out of proportion. Troughtons neck is a bit longer than it should be...something that really bugged me on the trailer animation too. The Yetis look to thin on that clip as well.

I'm hoping that any further BBC America funded animation will stick to the established 2D format of the previous stories. It's actually a real shame they aren't still produced to the quality of Tenth Planet and Moonbase.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on June 14, 2021, 06:08:05 PM
Interesting choice to rotoscope Thunderbirds puppets.

Thunderbird puppets with at least one of their head strings snapped so that they are constantly lurching to the side.

Exceedingly disconcerting effort.

daf

How is he getting them so early, the jammy dodger!!

Jason Arnopp's Season 24 Unboxing

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Jackie Lane, who played Dodo during the Hartnell era, has passed away at the age of 79.

You probably all know this, but after leaving Doctor Who she became a theatrical agent; her clients included Tom Baker, Janet Fielding and Nicholas Courtney.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 23, 2021, 06:57:21 PM
Jackie Lane, who played Dodo during the Hartnell era, has passed away at the age of 79.

You probably all know this, but after leaving Doctor Who she became a theatrical agent; her clients included Tom Baker, Janet Fielding and Nicholas Courtney.

I didn't know that. Love a bit of trivia.

Camp Tramp

Tony Selby, who played Sabalom Glitz has not died at all. Ignore.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Deanjam on June 23, 2021, 07:25:31 PM
I didn't know that. Love a bit of trivia

Got told by the BBC high-ups to tone down her natural Mancunian accent that she used in her first couple of stories. That was back in the days not all planets had a north.

daf

Not a trace left in their accents, but Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen were both from Liverpool (not sure why Tom lost his scouse twang - I don't think he went through the acting school RP meat grinder!)

Blofelds Cat

Remember being at a convention and Tom gave a burst of his original accent---a hard Lancashire twang that most people from Liverpool no longer speak with---modern day Scouse accent is awful and sets my teeth on edge.

Doubt Lis Sladen had much to start with---was from upper middle class stock and went to school with Edwina Currie.

daf

Having said that, I think you can hear it occasionally - like in The Time Warror - when she comes out with a scouse "Gerroff!" after getting manhandled in Iorngron's castle.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: daf on June 25, 2021, 01:57:26 PM
Having said that, I think you can hear it occasionally - like in The Time Warror - when she comes out with a scouse "Gerroff!" after getting manhandled in Iorngron's castle.

I've never heard it called that before!!

Sorry.

Deanjam

Series 24 has arrived. Not the best series (to say the least) but one I've not rewatched for a while. Also the extras look great as always.

JamesTC

Mine just arrived too. Will watch Time and the Rani extended tonight.

purlieu

Mine's gone straight on the shelf for the inevitable "right, I suppose I'll have to watch it some point" moment of desperation.

Norton Canes

This is reading like the Desolation thread in H.S. Art

JamesTC

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 28, 2021, 02:44:11 PM
This is reading like the Desolation thread in H.S. Art

Think you meant to post that in the thread for people watching Chibnall Dr Who.

Norton Canes

Oh yeah that's non-stop deso, obv

Replies From View

My favourite Doctor Who what-if is what if Time and the Rani had featured Colin Baker as planned.

He often tells it as "being asked to come back for a regeneration scene" but it wasn't that.  Time and the Rani would have been his final story, and he would have sacrificed himself at the end instead of that random other character doing it.  We would have been spared the worst parts of Sylvester McCoy's post-regenerative nonsense in this story (although - granted - it would probably have just been shunted into the next story instead), and the regeneration scene itself would have actually felt like a plausible sequence within the official canon.

JamesTC

McCoy doesn't particularly suffer any significant post regenerative issues. The Rani drugs him causing his bumbling about. Why they didn't just re-write it so that his behaviour was post regenerative weirdness rather than being drugged, I don't know.

As I understand it, Colin always said he would only come back for the full season but the most they would allow was the one story. Thank Christ his last story wasn't bumbling around being drugged by the Rani.

Norton Canes

"Originally, the Doctor stayed behind at the Rani's headquarters to ensure that the missile strike failed, and the ensuing explosion caused him to regenerate"

Once they'd found all the bits..?

pigamus

Quote from: Deanjam on June 28, 2021, 01:06:54 PM
Series 24 has arrived. Not the best series (to say the least) but one I've not rewatched for a while. Also the extras look great as always.

What's Sylv got in his hand? Salad tongs?

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

You'll never guess what he does with them

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on June 28, 2021, 05:34:22 PM
McCoy doesn't particularly suffer any significant post regenerative issues. The Rani drugs him causing his bumbling about. Why they didn't just re-write it so that his behaviour was post regenerative weirdness rather than being drugged, I don't know.

As I understand it, Colin always said he would only come back for the full season but the most they would allow was the one story. Thank Christ his last story wasn't bumbling around being drugged by the Rani.

I don't know whether the drugged elements would have been such a part of the story if it had been Colin Baker leading it.  Maybe I'm wrong but they always felt to me like a way of working with the Doctor not being sure who he is because he is a new incarnation.

Norton Canes

Unless you guess 'plays them on Kate O'Mara's tits'

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 28, 2021, 06:31:56 PM
Unless you guess 'plays them on Kate O'Mara's tits'

The Rani's chest if you please

JamesTC

Replies From View