Author Topic: Old Doctor Who - Part 4  (Read 22039 times)

Bad Ambassador

• Sit down, Mario!
Re: Old Doctor Who - Part 4
« Reply #330 on: January 12, 2021, 04:21:13 PM »
First Who novel I ever read, so I have fond feelings towards it.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #331 on: January 12, 2021, 05:08:17 PM »
Oh, I don't know - that certainly reverses the polarity of my neutron flow!

It sends spunk shooting up into your cock and balls?  From where?!

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #332 on: January 12, 2021, 05:55:07 PM »
Amazing what a change of author can do - started Mark Gatiss's St. Anthony's Fire today and didn't stop until 130 pages in.

Ever the nerdy fan, Gatiss has also solved the mystery of why the TARDIS exterior sometimes changes:

So now you know. It's chameleonic fluctuation.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #333 on: January 12, 2021, 05:59:24 PM »
Christ almighty what a load of wank.  Why can't it just be that the TARDIS keeps approximating a police box exterior and it doesn't always approximate the same one.  Why would it be constantly attempting to replicate Hartnell's TARDIS but getting it wrong due to deterioration? 

Why do so many writers fuss with explaining things all the time when indeterminacy and open-endedness are always better, allowing people to imagine and wonder.  Maybe Gatiss wouldn't have been much better than Chibnall after all.

Also - imagine the Doctor giving a shit about the roof stacking.

purlieu

« Reply #334 on: January 12, 2021, 06:04:36 PM »
Yes but now we know about the St. John's Ambulance sticker! Come on, get with it!!

daf

• Napoleon's Penis is in private hands
« Reply #335 on: January 12, 2021, 07:17:39 PM »
It sends spunk shooting up into your cock and balls?  From where?!

The fluid link of course!

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #336 on: January 12, 2021, 09:31:42 PM »
Yuck.

« Reply #337 on: January 13, 2021, 07:07:18 PM »
Robert Shearman is releasing a novelisation of Dalek soon.
https://twitter.com/ShearmanRobert/status/1349324557463728130?s=20

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #338 on: January 13, 2021, 07:14:11 PM »
Resurrection, Revelation & Pirate Planet novelisations coming soon as well.

« Reply #339 on: January 13, 2021, 07:15:58 PM »
Resurrection, Revelation & Pirate Planet novelisations coming soon as well.

Those ones are already out.

Resurrection and Revelation aren't very good.

purlieu

« Reply #340 on: January 13, 2021, 08:10:59 PM »
They're being reissued with Target covers.
As is Gary Russell's novelisation of the movie, only apparently it's been re-written to be closer to the final script.

Along with Dalek we're also getting The Crimson Horror and The Witchfinders in the New Series novelisations. Are there plans to do them all?

M-CORP

• Start a revolution and call it Freddo.
« Reply #341 on: January 13, 2021, 08:18:19 PM »
Along with Dalek we're also getting The Crimson Horror and The Witchfinders in the New Series novelisations. Are there plans to do them all?

I don't think it's been said whether or not they're going to do novelisations of all the books. It's worth bearing in mind the last time they did Target books of new episodes was 2018, so they are currently going at a snail's pace if that is the plan.

I think it'd be nice to have all the episodes novelised, but I wouldn't race to pick them up. Didn't finish the Day Of The Doctor book because I just found it too old and familiar, being used to the TV version. From a big suit's point of view, there might not be the same incentive as there was in the 1970s and 80s to have novelisations, seeing as, unlike then, the TV series is readily available, and there wouldn't be the same potential for discovery, but that's a viewpoint you may disagree with - some stories that were constrained at the time might finally be realised in prose...

« Reply #342 on: January 13, 2021, 08:20:53 PM »
Could they novelise all the Chibnall-era episodes and turn them into decent stories?

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #343 on: January 13, 2021, 09:01:50 PM »
Sod novelisations. Bring back the monthly new adventures.

Malcy

• Twitter
« Reply #344 on: January 13, 2021, 09:07:11 PM »
I got the Rose novelisation the day it came out. Took it out the packaging and was really excited to read it. Still sat on the bookshelf unread.

purlieu

« Reply #345 on: January 13, 2021, 09:34:39 PM »
Yes, I'm not particularly excited about them, although will read them once I get on to the New Series Adventures.

There's been a real downturn in the number of NSA novels in general since Matt's run, hasn't there? Tennant had 29, Smith 17, then Capaldi had nine and, so far, Jodie's had three. There've been a few one-off stories and audiobooks too, but the series has pretty much run aground at this point. Even the occasional previous Doctor hardbacks dried up after a couple of new stories and a handful of James Goss adaptations.

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #346 on: January 13, 2021, 09:58:02 PM »
Could they novelise all the Chibnall-era episodes and turn them into decent stories?

Well, it worked for Terminus.

« Reply #347 on: January 13, 2021, 10:44:55 PM »
Yes, I'm not particularly excited about them, although will read them once I get on to the New Series Adventures.

There's been a real downturn in the number of NSA novels in general since Matt's run, hasn't there? Tennant had 29, Smith 17, then Capaldi had nine and, so far, Jodie's had three. There've been a few one-off stories and audiobooks too, but the series has pretty much run aground at this point. Even the occasional previous Doctor hardbacks dried up after a couple of new stories and a handful of James Goss adaptations.

All seems to come back to Chibnall's lack of interest in promoting the show, doesn't it. All that ancillary media, the books and the comics and toys and so on, helps to keep the show alive in the public consciousness during the long gaps when it's off the air. RTD understood that, Moffat did to a lesser extent, Chibnall...isn't arsed. So when the show's not being broadcast, there nothing to keep it fresh in people's minds.

I mean, we had all the Time Lord Victorious stuff last year, but that might as well be happening in a bubble completely apart from the current show. A decent showrunner would've gone out of their way to make sure there were cross promotions to tie it all together, but as it stands it's like it's promoting an entirely different series. Utterly bizarre.

purlieu

« Reply #348 on: January 13, 2021, 11:04:51 PM »
I have no idea how much say the showrunner has in the other merch, to be honest. I'm sure BBC Worldwide / BBC Books / Whatever Department of the BBC Does This Stuff plays a part in it. Even so, Capaldi's run lasted three and a half years and there were only nine books published, so I get the feeling there's probably less interest within the BBC for the whole thing. Time Lord Victorious aside, there have only been a couple of non-novelisation past Doctor books published by the BBC in the past five years, and both of those are based on unused scripts. It just seems a shame that basically since Capaldi's era, we've had fewer Doctor Who novels published per year than since the early 1970s.

« Reply #349 on: January 14, 2021, 12:57:17 AM »
I got the Rose novelisation the day it came out. Took it out the packaging and was really excited to read it. Still sat on the bookshelf unread.

It's excellent. It captures that sun-drenched moment of giddy optimism in 2005 perfectly, and adds all sorts of interesting arms and legs to the story. Quite apart from that, RTD is a cracking prose writer. Get it down off the shelf!

Malcy

• Twitter
« Reply #350 on: January 14, 2021, 01:10:30 AM »
It's excellent. It captures that sun-drenched moment of giddy optimism in 2005 perfectly, and adds all sorts of interesting arms and legs to the story. Quite apart from that, RTD is a cracking prose writer. Get it down off the shelf!

I really should. It catches my eye often and I could read it in an hour or so probably.

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #351 on: January 14, 2021, 11:52:10 AM »
All seems to come back to Chibnall's lack of interest in promoting the show, doesn't it. All that ancillary media, the books and the comics and toys and so on, helps to keep the show alive in the public consciousness during the long gaps when it's off the air. RTD understood that, Moffat did to a lesser extent, Chibnall...isn't arsed. So when the show's not being broadcast, there nothing to keep it fresh in people's minds.

I don't want to defend Chibnall, but are the novels really a useful way of promoting the show or just a way of getting cash out of the people who'll buy anything connected with it, and then buy it again if you put it out with a new cover? How many of the people who need persuading to watch would even be aware of the novels' existence at any time since 2005?

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #352 on: January 14, 2021, 12:17:56 PM »
Well, it worked for Terminus.

The Eric Saward era is a funny one.  By and large, his tenure was flawed but not a complete waste in the same way as Chibnall's.  The characters were there even if they were not explored properly.  The dialogue wasn't entirely pointless, even when Saward script-edited everyone into grammar pedants so they no longer sounded like real people.  There were dramatic flourishes that didn't always land, but nevertheless showed competence when it came to punctuating stories with action-oriented highs and lows.

Chibnall's era can be compared with Saward's when it comes to characters not sounding like real people, but really the entire roots of his tenure have not grown properly and nothing whatsoever can land in his tell-not-show infodump configuration of the show where most revelations seem to happen off-screen in scenes that weren't even written.  A lot of Saward's problems would have been smoothed over as well if the production budget hadn't been so low.  Chibnall's era is an altogether different degree of shite, and I can't imagine any of his stories converting well into novelisations unless somebody brilliant were to come in and completely rebuild them from the bottom up.

Norton Canes

• In today's room, with today's view
« Reply #353 on: January 14, 2021, 05:06:46 PM »

M-CORP

• Start a revolution and call it Freddo.
« Reply #354 on: January 14, 2021, 05:40:28 PM »
I don't want to defend Chibnall, but are the novels really a useful way of promoting the show or just a way of getting cash out of the people who'll buy anything connected with it, and then buy it again if you put it out with a new cover? How many of the people who need persuading to watch would even be aware of the novels' existence at any time since 2005?

I used to go around collecting New Series tie-in novels in charity shops, and read quite a few of them in lockdown. These are the original adventures by the likes of Justin Richards. I quite liked them. Your mileage may vary, and some may be better than others, but I had fun with them, and it was nice to go back to 2007 or thereabouts, while immersing myself in stories from that era that were new to me. They're more fleshed out and slower-paced than stories on screen, which was nice. And of course it was great fun to visualise them in my head. David Tennant's audiobook reading of Justin Richards' 'The Resurrection Casket' is etched on my childhood subconscious, used to play the free copy that came with the Radiotimes to death. Ought to listen to it again, I remember a really nice foreboding mystery with EMPS and steam-powered pirates.As tie-ins go, they were pretty cool at the time.

Of course, the Target novels they're doing nowadays based on existing TV eps are a different story. Jesus that 2018 logo on The Witchfinders looks horrid. It's not even that bad a logo, if a bit too Harry Potter; it's just a very wide logo that's designed for magazine mastheads, and not narrower paperbacks. It would perhaps work if it wasn't stacked, but even then it lacks the boldness of Bernard Lodge's timeless logo. Does anyone else think they could've just made that the logo back in 2018 and stuck to it for all of Who?

Agree with Replies on View re Saward by the way; his era was hit and miss but certainly had some nice flourishes that were more dramatic than what we're getting now...

Malcy

• Twitter
« Reply #355 on: January 14, 2021, 06:22:09 PM »
Nice to see Colin Baker looking like himself on the Revelation cover. Unlike this...

« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2021, 07:02:23 PM »
Colm Meaney has let himself go.

« Reply #357 on: January 14, 2021, 07:22:40 PM »
“Oooh, Peri’s done a whoopsie on the Tardis”

« Reply #358 on: January 14, 2021, 07:23:53 PM »
They're being reissued with Target covers.
As is Gary Russell's novelisation of the movie, only apparently it's been re-written to be closer to the final script.

Gary on Twitter: "the text has been *slightly* updated from the original with a couple of moments I was asked to take out in 1996 now put back in, some better geography and a few errors corrected. V proud of this "

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1349302343939055617

purlieu

« Reply #359 on: January 14, 2021, 10:18:50 PM »
Ah, jolly good. Looks like I'll be reading that version in a few months then.

Tags: