Author Topic: Old Doctor Who - Part 4  (Read 66093 times)

Re: Old Doctor Who - Part 4
« Reply #1110 on: September 15, 2021, 05:13:36 PM »
Maybe the last one to use the 2D style, then, I'm guessing.

Nah, I'm imagining the two teams (AnneMarie Walsh's and Gary Russell's) will continue to do the 2D projects for BBC America.

The 3D animations will be used for the stories that it is felt will not be possible to animate within budget using 2D animation (Marco Polo, The Crusade, The Daleks' Master Plan, The Highlanders).

« Reply #1111 on: September 15, 2021, 05:19:05 PM »
It felt like it was the first episode of a new series, setting up plot strands that would recur over the next 12 episodes, which sadly won't be the case, but I'm looking forward to seeing just what is going on with the Time Lords and the Faction Paradox at some point in the future. I know Miles's next book is a notorious game-changer.

and the EDAs, as far as I remember, completely fail to deliver on that front.

Within three books, there's an entirely different arc.

Looking at the list of EDAs, its nearly a year and a half until we revisit practically any of the ideas put into place by Alien Bodies.

Other notes:
iirc, read the intermission chapters in reverse order
one character has already met the Doctor. Looked him up once. Nope.
The Shift is a great idea.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #1112 on: September 15, 2021, 05:19:10 PM »

Use of the Chibnall-era logo is so short-sighted.

When it comes to the blu ray box-sets, they'll still be releasing them long after the Chibnall era has ended and there is a new logo.  Will they use the newer logo for those later releases?  Stick to the Chibnall logo for uniformity?  This is why classic releases would have been better sticking to the McGann modification of the Pertwee logo.  Or using the logo of each specific season.

« Reply #1113 on: September 15, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »

When it comes to the blu ray box-sets, they'll still be releasing them long after the Chibnall era has ended and there is a new logo.  Will they use the newer logo for those later releases?  Stick to the Chibnall logo for uniformity?  This is why classic releases would have been better sticking to the McGann modification of the Pertwee logo.

For the Collection releases, I believe they stated from the outset that the logo will remain uniform throughout. I guess if the higher ups did send down a didact that they needed to change them, they could always just put a sticker over with the new logo and have the Chibnall era logo underneath for people who want uniformity.

They have reversible covers for the animated range. Sadly the steelbook can't have that but I personally only have three of those and of those it is just the Smith Specials that have the new logo (Shada and the four disc Power being the other two).

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #1114 on: September 15, 2021, 06:05:36 PM »

Midas

• 𝔇𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔡 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔢𝔫𝔠𝔢.
« Reply #1115 on: September 15, 2021, 06:31:56 PM »
Aye, the reversible sleeves were a nice touch...

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #1116 on: September 15, 2021, 06:35:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq5Rsl7WLbc

Trailer.

Can't say I'll ever really settle with the colour versions.  They don't mesh with the soundtracks for me.

pigamus

• Sex, death, mayonnaise.
« Reply #1117 on: September 15, 2021, 06:35:55 PM »

When it comes to the blu ray box-sets, they'll still be releasing them long after the Chibnall era has ended and there is a new logo.  Will they use the newer logo for those later releases?  Stick to the Chibnall logo for uniformity?  This is why classic releases would have been better sticking to the McGann modification of the Pertwee logo.  Or using the logo of each specific season.

That cover makes Andrew Skilleter look like Pablo Picasso

Clearly the only bit of effort went on Hartnell's face and it still looks nothing like him

His left hand looks like it was drawn by a child, and as for Drahvin Vera Duckworth, well

Midas

« Reply #1118 on: September 15, 2021, 06:45:23 PM »

Very unnerved by Hartnell's head tbh

Midas

« Reply #1119 on: September 15, 2021, 07:13:52 PM »
(Because it looks like a withered, grey glans)

Midas

« Reply #1120 on: September 15, 2021, 07:14:40 PM »
(And NOT in a good way)

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #1121 on: September 15, 2021, 07:47:12 PM »
You don’t need to include the “withered, grey”.  This is CaB where there is no other kind.

Midas

« Reply #1122 on: September 15, 2021, 10:05:33 PM »
something something Galaxy 4skin!!!!

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #1123 on: Yesterday at 09:55:19 AM »

Mean Streets by Terrance Dicks.

Uncle Terry clearly likes mid-century American crime fiction. The first third of Shakedown was set in Megacity, a city run by various criminal gangs and overseen by corrupt police; half of Blood Harvest had the Doctor and Ace dealing with Al Capone, partially written first person from the perspective of a PI. In Mean Streets, Chris and Benny return to Megacity, and part of the book is written first person from the perspective of a PI. They're there to find out what "The Project" is, how it'll kill lots of people, and stop it. It turns out one of the mining companies has been experimenting on their workers and have accidentally activated a dormant "killer gene", turning them into ruthless murderers. Benny fancies a Demoniac called Lucifer, and Chris shags a gangster called Sara. And that's about it.
It's full-on Terrance Dicks, with absolutely no characterisation, lots of exclamation marks, people who routinely talk in exposition and cliches, some glaring errors (Chris teaching Benny about Earth history?!), gratuitous and wholly unfitting swearing and use of the word whores, and low word count. It's rubbish, but quite fun rubbish.

Next time on The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield... oh God it's Bulis.

Tags: