Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,466
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:19:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

He's the right person but the wrong name. I have always thought that the man in KYTV was Philip Pope but I see now that the man I also thought was Philip Pope is the real Philip Pope. 30 years this has been going on.

Sebastian Cobb

Is he still pricking about trying to get his cupboard open?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 07, 2020, 06:10:26 PM
Despite seeing him in everything, I never knew what this bloke's name was until now.

He's the 80s version of the actor Kevin Eldon.

In the same way Eldon was Simon Quinlank for a long time, Michael Fenton Stevens was Martin Brown for a long time.

Philip Pope is forever Tony Angelino.

Cold Meat Platter

beanheadmcginty

I wonder if Philip Pope ever fantasises about quite how different his life would've been if his names were swapped.

Famous Mortimer

I had Me 1 vs Me 2 in my podcast feed for a while, but hearing him do Twitch things has put me off it, or perhaps I'd just been bored of it for a while and this gave me an excuse.

Chriddof

Something about Twitch itself really repels me. I tried sitting in on a gaming stream recently and I've never felt so alone and alienated by what I was seeing. And I'm not one of those "WHAT'S THE POINT OF WATCHING OTHER PEOPLE PLAY GAMES" types at all - I've enjoyed a lot of Let's Plays over the years. It's just that the whole way it operated, from top to bottom, felt ugly in ways I can't describe. Especially the game itself, which looked very slick and action-packed but had zero emotional depth - just cold, grey boredom dressed up with 4K explosions and gore.

metaltax

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 07, 2020, 06:10:26 PM
Despite seeing him in everything, I never knew what this bloke's name was until now.

He's started his own podcast over Lockdown, My Time Capsule. It's...alright. Quite lightweight but he's had a few decent guests on (mostly people you imagine have each other round to dinner parties all the time). Except Rick Wakeman. He's still a massive prick.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: metaltax on October 08, 2020, 07:57:34 AM
He's started his own podcast over Lockdown, My Time Capsule. It's...alright. Quite lightweight but he's had a few decent guests on (mostly people you imagine have each other round to dinner parties all the time). Except Rick Wakeman. He's still a massive prick.

He mentioned on the Herring podcast that he intends to reach out to Rowan Atkinson and David Jason to be on the Time Capsule podcast - Either of whom would be be a incredible coup (a podcast first?).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 07, 2020, 01:27:12 PM
Michael Fenton-Stevens is on the latest Lockdown RHLSTP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNXAeBaRG54

First one I've dipped into for yonks. Ten minutes in and the Groovy Gang's already been mentioned.

I really, really enjoyed this one, it was just a lovely, warm, gentle chat and filled with some fun anecdotes about his career, sometimes when it's someone just starting out it's fun, but I do find myself largely preferring the ones where it's someone who's had a long career.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

yeah this was a great watch. I'm another one who never knew his name despite seeing him in god knows how many things. really enjoyed listening to him chatting away. also surprised at how much easier this to deal with without an audience to be honest.

edit
QuoteI was in "Home James!" [with Jim Davidson] I can't really remember it very well, I do remember that I didn't like him.

excellent.

Pranet

Yeah that stuck out, because I think it is quite rare for people in showbiz to openly slag off other people like that, and also because he does seem pretty affable otherwise.

Also, getting the best part of £60000 (in the 80s?) for doing one line on an advert. Nice work.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pranet on October 08, 2020, 07:40:00 PM
Yeah that stuck out, because I think it is quite rare for people in showbiz to openly slag off other people like that, and also because he does seem pretty affable otherwise.

Also, getting the best part of £60000 (in the 80s?) for doing one line on an advert. Nice work.

Adverts in the 80s / 90s often paid a ridiculous amount, I know of one actor (who's never been famous) who appeared in a Barclay card advert and managed to buy a one bedroom flat in London thanks to the long running ad campaign in the early 90s.

kilgore

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 08, 2020, 08:05:04 PM
Adverts in the 80s / 90s often paid a ridiculous amount, I know of one actor (who's never been famous) who appeared in a Barclay card advert and managed to buy a one bedroom flat in London thanks to the long running ad campaign in the early 90s.

Frank Bough?

Sebastian Cobb

Ken Loach got himself back on his feet with a McDonalds advert after several films he made about union collusion that got shelved by the tv stations that commissioned them.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: metaltax on October 08, 2020, 07:57:34 AMExcept Rick Wakeman. He's still a massive prick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjbdN0R8TjM&t=193s   Not Ken Russell's finest hour. (Possibly NSFW but that's not a real prick!)

Gurke and Hare

I saw the Radio Active show in Edinburgh last year and the cast were selling merch afterwards. Yes, he was trying to get money out of me but Michael Fenton-Stevens seemed like a lovely bloke. He was happy for me to take a photo to send to a friend of mine who's fancied him for years.

Dusty Substance

"Come Saturday night, I'll be on the other side of the wall".

Shit Good Nose

I've mentioned on here a few times about a mate's aunt who was (she's now retired) part of the RSC B-team, that is she was on the roster as a permanent member/salaried employee(/however that kind of thing worked as "permanent" employment), always on hand as an understudy for the primo performances (and often playing secondary roles), and also did all the performances for state schools, colleges and unis where she was typically the leading or second-tier lady.  That was her passion, but the pay was terrible (her annual salary for that in the mid-to-late 90s was about the same as I was earning in my first full-time job in entry level admin in the civil service), so she made her "financial living" by doing ads and voiceovers.  She was in a couple of Daz ads (I always thought she was the wife in the Cleaner Close ones, but her tenure in them actually pre-dated that run) which she did very nicely from apparently.  She also did a lot of the English dubbing for ads imported from forruns.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 08, 2020, 10:48:02 PM
"Come Saturday night, I'll be on the other side of the wall".

Ha, lordy, that brings back memories. Terrible, terrible memories.

Just listened to the Jo Caulfield one and it wasn't too bad, have to say I found her tv show anecdotes were more interesting than the conversation about her stand up / life under lockdown, but it passed the time well enough while I was listing some stuff on ebay.

Sebastian Cobb

This Michael Fenton Stevens guy seems like a really nice bloke.

Was he the 'presenter voice' guy on Monkey Dust?

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

I think that was Peter Dickson. Similar, though.

It's probably obvious but I'm trying to think what show it was where MFS played someone who weirdly said om instead of um.

Tikwid

Quote from: Ptolemy Ptarmigan on October 10, 2020, 02:12:03 AM

It's probably obvious but I'm trying to think what show it was where MFS played someone who weirdly said om instead of um.
Look Around You S2E1 Music wasn't it? Sir Alan Rees, head of ROPRA and French kissing champion. "Go out"

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Michael Fenton Stevens, what an absolutely lovely man. I could've happily listened to him for hours.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ptolemy Ptarmigan on October 10, 2020, 02:12:03 AM

It was the show where he played a vicar.

Andy147

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 10, 2020, 07:59:57 AM

People Like Us?

(Edit: Have just re-watched it: yes, MFS plays the vicar; no, he doesn't say om. Fantastic episode, though.

Checking IMDB, it seems MFS has played a vicar a lot, and that was probably BeardFaceMan's joke that I've just spoilt...)

Dr Rock

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 10, 2020, 07:59:57 AM

Sounds like Martin Brown from Radio Active / KYTV, he said um a lot. Probably my favourite unremembered character in any sketch show.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: Tikwid on October 10, 2020, 02:41:12 AM
Look Around You S2E1 Music wasn't it? Sir Alan Rees, head of ROPRA and French kissing champion. "Go out"

Yes! 14:47 here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6joa2c .  I hadn't considered LAY at all - thanks.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: metaltax on October 08, 2020, 07:57:34 AM

I'm a sucker for anecdotes and folks' enthusiasm about stuff, so I rather enjoy this podcast. MFS is very affable company. I like the way it doesn't try too hard to be edgy and is a bit tweedy. It's like a cross between Desert Island Discs and Room 101.