Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:33:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Blimey, it's Michael Ian Black this week, which came as a surprise, I've only heard the opening 10 minutes so far but it's been fun, and as I'm a huge fan of his I can't wait to listen to the rest.

BeardFaceMan

I saw that, but the description in the podcast feed was for Michael Fenton Stevens so I wondered if they'd uploaded the same episode again and just made an error with the name. Good to know it is MIB though, very suprising guest and good enough that I'll put up with Herring to listen to him.

Dusty Substance

Yeah, enjoying this Michael Ian Black episode. He's someone I know only by name, having heard him mentioned on other casts etc. Very intrigued by his 'Obscure' podcast. Bookmarked to binge during the inevitable lockdown.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm now 40 minutes in and Michael Ian Black's really great in this but Herring is getting on my tits, going on and on about his various podcasts and I really don't care, and just want to hear about Black's work.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 16, 2020, 06:21:25 PM
Yeah, enjoying this Michael Ian Black episode. He's someone I know only by name, having heard him mentioned on other casts etc. Very intrigued by his 'Obscure' podcast. Bookmarked to binge during the inevitable lockdown.

I'm a huge fan but I'll never listen to the first series of Obscure at least, as I was forced to study Jude The Obscure at both college and university and fucking hate the book with a passion.

Pranet

He took being told Run Fatboy Run was shit well.

I mean, I've never seen it, and it probably isn't a masterpiece, but fucks sake. He would have had every right to have said how many fucking films have you had made you cunt?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Pranet on October 17, 2020, 07:51:00 PM

I mean, I've never seen it, and it probably isn't a masterpiece, but fucks sake. He would have had every right to have said how many fucking films have you had made you cunt?

He really did take it well, didn't he? After Herring said that I kept waiting for the podcast to take a properly awkward turn with negative body language and pauses etc. but he dealt with it really well. Also, he looks bloody good for a 50 year old.

As I've enjoyed the most recent two RHLSTPs, I put on his Ally And Herring's Twitch Of Fun on in the background and liked them way more than expected. Only four eps in, so it might all get repetitive after a bit but I'll stick with them for a while.

Dr Rock

Repetitive? It's got puppet Prince Andrew in it now. Grandad.

Small Man Big Horse

Black deserves some kind of award for not getting fucked off with him, I was starting to be won round by Herring in the last year or so but he's fucked me off no end with this interview as Michael Ian Black's done some amazing work and he barely touched upon any of it, and just went on and fucking on about himself instead.

Pranet

I basically like RH but he is infuriating at times.

Cold Meat Platter

A friend and I were chatting about a recent episode and he said "You know... I think I kind of hate Richard Herring".
I said I knew what he meant. But we still listen to/watch him.
Our watchword is ambivalence.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 17, 2020, 09:31:59 PM
Black deserves some kind of award for not getting fucked off with him, I was starting to be won round by Herring in the last year or so but he's fucked me off no end with this interview as Michael Ian Black's done some amazing work and he barely touched upon any of it, and just went on and fucking on about himself instead.
He's also made a lot of fucking shit, and he's one of those intensely annoying centrists on Twitter who you'd hate if he were English.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 17, 2020, 10:00:44 PM
He's also made a lot of fucking shit, and he's one of those intensely annoying centrists on Twitter who you'd hate if he were English.

Gah, I didn't know that re: him being a centrist, that's bleak and then some.

vainsharpdad

John Robins is to interview Herring as the guest on RHLSTP.
I do like John Robins.

g0m

Quote from: kitsofan34 on October 17, 2020, 11:23:12 PM

There's like three things i know about michael ian black

• This type of shit
  • frequent appearance on american nostalgia/list programs
  • Friends with the Mayor

Pranet

I hadn't listened to all of the podcast when I wrote this and to be fair to Herring he does sort of say this himself later.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Pranet on October 18, 2020, 12:05:41 PM
I hadn't listened to all of the podcast when I wrote this and to be fair to Herring he does sort of say this himself later.

No, what would be fair to Herring would be if he didn't say it in the first place, if he has nothing to say other than "you were in something I thought was shit but I haven't been in anything, so what do I know?"

magval

Mind he said Extras was shit to Merchant as well? He needs to drop the gamble of bonding with a guest over presuming they also hate the thing of theirs that he hates.

sutin

Quote from: Pranet on October 17, 2020, 09:38:55 PM
I basically like RH but he is infuriating at times.

Any irritance I feel towards Herring is because of his tendancy towards self-promotion, and all the extra guff he produces. He's a bit like The Flaming Lips. Hugely self-involved arsehole frontman who insists on flooding the market with shite (Sgt. Peppers covers album, 24 hour song in a human skull or whatever), but the regular albums are always great. In short, i'll always listen to a new RHLSTP but the snooker and stone clearing can fuck off.

Sin Agog

Quote from: magval on October 18, 2020, 07:13:25 PM
Mind he said Extras was shit to Merchant as well? He needs to drop the gamble of bonding with a guest over presuming they also hate the thing of theirs that he hates.

I love those moments.  It worked best when, after David Mitchell described Upstart Crow for the first time, he said, 'Will it be shit?'  It might come across as just mean without an audience to play off of, though.  The bits I don't like are when he starts talking about himself and it goes nowhere.  Makes every interview feel like a favour some sleb is doing for their slow cousin who wants to get into journalism.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 08, 2020, 04:16:59 PM
He mentioned on the Herring podcast that he intends to reach out to Rowan Atkinson and David Jason to be on the Time Capsule podcast - Either of whom would be be a incredible coup (a podcast first?).

David Jason to appear on Michael Fenton-Stevens' podcast! https://twitter.com/fentonstevens/status/1318304183582445570

beanheadmcginty

Enjoyed Michael Ian Black's retort at the start of the latest episode.

Rolf Lundgren

This really was Herring at his worst. Talking about himself and constantly comparing his own level of fame and success to Black's, he really can be an insufferable arse. I know he likes to slag off the guest from time to time with his "ooh I'm being a bit cheeky" character but he just came across as particularly insecure and jealous here.

Menu

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 19, 2020, 12:02:13 PM
I love those moments.  It worked best when, after David Mitchell described Upstart Crow for the first time, he said, 'Will it be shit?' 

That does seem quite funny actually. IT'S WHAT WE WERE ALL THINKING!

sutin

That's an example of him judging that banter right.

Because he knows David Mitchell well enough, and David Mitchell knows his persona well enough in return, for that to work. Doing it with someone who couldn't pick him out of a lineup is insane. It's obviously a different and more playful vibe to do it live with an audience there compared to an interview done remotely without one

frajer

Listening to Lou Sander's Cuddle Club podcast and while it's good, its quality does vary wildly depending on the guest.

Anyway. Rich is the guest. The question came up "What's the best, worst or weirdest cuddle you've ever had?"

Rich of course immediately launched into the Stew wanking him off with a ventriloquist's dummy story again. An involuntary "fucking hell" slipped out at the audacity of his crowbar work. Maybe because I've heard it 80 times, but was this ever a good anecdote? It feels forced as fuck nowadays anyway.

He's produced some genuinely great podcasts in the past but I think I might be done with Herring. (Although he was/is surprisingly decent on Taskmaster, quite possibly as his ventriloquist dummy wanking stories were judiciously pruned.)

Tony Tony Tony

The preamble to the latest one (Stevie Smith) contains a message from Michael Ian Black that is a masterful little piece.

sheddyian

While I think it was a bit harsh to ask David Mitchell if Upstart Crow was going to be shit, it was a reasonable question that was surely being wondered by others. At that point, Ben Elton's work for some time had been ropey at best. (The Wright Way, that ITV thing with the young woman)