Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:46:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 23, 2020, 04:58:18 PM
The preamble to the latest one (Stevie Smith) contains a message from Michael Ian Black that is a masterful little piece.

Please don't make me listen to Herring to find out what it was.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 24, 2020, 12:45:16 AM
Please don't make me listen to Herring to find out what it was.

Herring paid Black to apologise for Run Fatboy Fun via https://www.cameo.com/, which he does in a nicely amusing manner.

Mobbd

Quote from: vainsharpdad on October 18, 2020, 12:37:19 AM
John Robins is to interview Herring as the guest on RHLSTP.
I do like John Robins.

John Bobbins more like.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on October 24, 2020, 07:18:04 PM
Out now for £8 (for Refuge) from Go Faster Stripe: https://www.gofasterstripe.com/cgi-bin/website.cgi?page=videofull&id=44078

Quote from: gofasterstripe
includes new Emergency Questions sent in by listeners

Not even a good cause could get me to listen to that.

I watched it tonight. Remarkably it didn't include any stories about getting into a fight with a university lecturer or being wanked off by a ventriloquist's puppet and was actually a reasonably straight interview about his career and new book.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: vainsharpdad on October 24, 2020, 11:26:32 PM
I wonder if Robins is a better host?

He certainly excels on his Radio5 'How Do You Cope with Elis and John'.

Will shell out £8 of my hard earned to get my hands on the early version and see if the extras make it worth it. The advertising blurb on https://www.gofasterstripe.com/cgi-bin/website.cgi?page=videofull&id=44078 seems to indicate that it the real Herring rather than the onstage version but then again it would say that wouldn't it?

Shall report back.

McFlymo

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on October 24, 2020, 10:31:38 PM
I watched it tonight. Remarkably it didn't include any stories about getting into a fight with a university lecturer or being wanked off by a ventriloquist's puppet and was actually a reasonably straight interview about his career and new book.

His career? Finally!

Tony Tony Tony

Shelled out £8.00 on the basis that it is for a good cause to salve my conscience for saving shitloads of dosh on account of not getting on a plague train every day for the past few months.

Was pleasantly surprised at Herring's demeanour if not his candour. It seems his 'on stage persona' which he always claims is him as a bit of a dick really is very different from his reality, though on reflection not sure why I'm surprised. No one could get through life unscathed by being that much of a twat. I reckon much of the enjoyment also came from the fact that John Robins is becoming a pretty good interviewer as evidenced by his podcast How Do You Cope.

As it is probably only a week or so away from being put out for free, unless you desperate to salve your own conscience, most of you are likely going to get it soonest.

As an aside, whilst I was typing this I was listening to the Lucy Porter/Jenny Ryan podcast (Fingers on Buzzers) and guest Les Dennis revealed that himself and Herring have recorded an episode of Pointless celebs together and teased that they had 'done rather well'. Are we going to finally get justice?       

Bahamadia

I have been enjoying dipping in and out of Richard's work during lockdown. I do not know if it is because of the Melbourne second lockdown but I have enjoyed the Ally puppet a lot.  I was just checking out the Arthur Mathews interview, as I do not know anything about it at all but am familiar with his work and felt a heavy eye roll after he promoted his Dominic Cummings' diary and then said that he does not feel strongly about Trump or Cummings or Johnson. Definitely the state of satire today.... Made me sad.

frajer

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 30, 2020, 09:36:20 AM
Was pleasantly surprised at Herring's demeanour if not his candour. It seems his 'on stage persona' which he always claims is him as a bit of a dick really is very different from his reality, though on reflection not sure why I'm surprised. No one could get through life unscathed by being that much of a twat. I reckon much of the enjoyment also came from the fact that John Robins is becoming a pretty good interviewer as evidenced by his podcast How Do You Cope.

As it is probably only a week or so away from being put out for free, unless you desperate to salve your own conscience, most of you are likely going to get it soonest.

Listened to this one the other day at work and I enjoyed it. Herring is a shrewd and hard-working chap with a prolific output, which I find easy to forget when all you see is him being "on".

However it did hammer home that as much as I respect his output, I dislike his stage persona quite a bit. And I wasn't convinced that stone clearing and playing yourself at snooker are the esoteric outsider art he thinks they are. But fair play to his (insane) levels of commitment to them!

sutin

Dipped into the Arthur Mathews RHLSTP recording on Twitch last night. No discussion of Gl*nner's madness I assume? I didn't hear any anyway.

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: sutin on November 12, 2020, 12:15:07 PM
Dipped into the Arthur Mathews RHLSTP recording on Twitch last night. No discussion of Gl*nner's madness I assume? I didn't hear any anyway.
No they left that alone. Probably not something either of them want to talk about really. On a related note, Fergus O'Kelly died this week-he played Barty Dunne the laughing priest.

Mobbd

This isn't directly about his Twitch output but this seems like a relatively good and semi-on-topic place to discuss this. Can anyone decipher what the fuck Herring is talking about in this opening paragraph of Warming Up from 10 November?

QuoteStone clearing to start the day
I came up with the idea of harvesting all the shattered beets that are littering the field, cleaning them and selling them to beet shops. All the profit, none of the costs (apart from beet cleaner) and was delighted to get an email from Les Gray of Mud.

I am not judging the quality of the humour. Simply the meaning of the words. What the fuck is he talking about?

I don't listen to Stone Clearing but I know what it is. So he started the day with a stone-clear. Okay. Fine.

I am also willing to accept (though I don't think he has mentioned it before) that there are beets growing in the field and that some of them, in poor condition, are left lying around after the harvest. He jokes that he's going to profit from this waste, the joke being that it would be a stupidly low effort-to-reward ratio. Right?

But what is 'beet cleaner'? Does he mean a beet cleaner? Is this a person he'd employ to clean his foraged beets? If so, why is he willing in this fantasy to collect the beets himself but not clean them himself?

What does Les Gray of Mud have to do with anything? When did this imaginary email arrive in this fantasy scenario? How does that clause of the sentence relate in any way to what came in the first clause of the sentence or anything else in this paragraph?

I read Warming Up most days and I appreciate that it has to be a bit tossed off or it wouldn't get written at all. But this is completely unreadable to me. Any ideas?

Sin Agog

They are not his beets. He is stealing them from the owner of the field. Richard Herring, if you do go through with this, I will report you for this beetnik.

g0m

Beet cleaner, like, he's saying that's what he uses to clean the beets. Obviously no such product exists - it is a fanciful invention.

Rolf Lundgren

I quite enjoyed the interview John Robins did with Herring as it was a lot more serious and focused on Herring's career without going over the same old anecdotes. The chat about Stewart Lee was frank and revealing. He did seem rather subdued but maybe that's because he wasn't in stage persona mode.

It got a bit too pensive at times and deferential though. John asking a question along the lines of "You do loads of great work for charity, tell us about that" went a bit 'Anglian Lives'.

Quote from: frajer on November 12, 2020, 09:37:44 AM
However it did hammer home that as much as I respect his output, I dislike his stage persona quite a bit. And I wasn't convinced that stone clearing and playing yourself at snooker are the esoteric outsider art he thinks they are. But fair play to his (insane) levels of commitment to them!

The stone clearing and snooker games really don't deserve any kind of critical analysis or thought. I agree it's certainly not the outsider art Robins was suggesting it might be, it's just Herring's mad ego.

Menu

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on November 13, 2020, 07:45:30 PM
John asking a question along the lines of "You do loads of great work for charity, tell us about that" went a bit 'Anglian Lives'.

LOL!

Menu

The Richard Herring 'character' is a bit of a fluid concept isn't it? Remember when he was criticised about his contributions to the Collings and Herrin podcast and he defended himself by insisting he was in 'character'. This 'character' appeared to be a bored humourless passive-aggressive man who couldn't be bothered saying anything. The thing is, I don't remember that facet of the character coming up before or since.

thugler

Quote from: Menu on November 13, 2020, 07:56:43 PM
The Richard Herring 'character' is a bit of a fluid concept isn't it? Remember when he was criticised about his contributions to the Collings and Herrin podcast and he defended himself by insisting he was in 'character'. This 'character' appeared to be a bored humourless passive-aggressive man who couldn't be bothered saying anything. The thing is, I don't remember that facet of the character coming up before or since.

Fucking hell that whole period became grim. Herring seemed incredibly insecure about collins getting laughs (which he often did in their live stuff) or being considered as his equal on any level, and so resorted to some rather shitty and nasty behaviour to what seemed like a harmless guy with no interest in outdoing herring as a comedian. What was once a pleasant distraction of them going through the papers or something had become something quite different all due to his ego. The 'character' excuse never rang true for me.

Menu

Quote from: thugler on November 13, 2020, 09:26:58 PM
Fucking hell that whole period became grim. Herring seemed incredibly insecure about collins getting laughs (which he often did in their live stuff) or being considered as his equal on any level, and so resorted to some rather shitty and nasty behaviour to what seemed like a harmless guy with no interest in outdoing herring as a comedian. What was once a pleasant distraction of them going through the papers or something had become something quite different all due to his ego. The 'character' excuse never rang true for me.

It was awful. Why AC put up with it I have no idea. And then to cap it all, Herring created a character in his other podcast completely taking the piss out of Andrew. Quite personal stuff too. No wonder Collins fucked him off in the end, it was like an abusive relationship. The irony is Andrew Collins has had a far more successful career than Herring anyway. Such a weird dynamic.

DrGreggles

I thought Collings & Herrin was great for the first couple of years, but just ran out of steam.
It probably should have ended when they did their Edinburgh run, but that would have meant that the most awkward podcast of all time (their final one) would never have happened.

Menu

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 13, 2020, 11:14:22 PM
I thought Collings & Herrin was great for the first couple of years, but just ran out of steam.
It probably should have ended when they did their Edinburgh run, but that would have meant that the most awkward podcast of all time (their final one) would never have happened.

I think it was pretty ropey even in the first year. I'd love to have heard the one where Collins finally snapped though. I understand why he deleted it, but fucking hell! Herring sounded a bit scared when they started the show again.

JamesTC

Just made myself laugh thinking about the early Collings and Herrin moment where Herring suggests that the audience go the IMDB page for Argentina Brunetti and add a posthumous credit for "I Am A Bummer" as a tribute to 100 years of hard work.

Pranet

I think Richard Herring has admitted he has a bully in him that comes out sometimes and it came out with Andrew Collins. I did really like it when it began, before that side of it took over. It could be really funny. I mean, him calling AC's mum a "fucking idiot" was really funny.

Menu

Quote from: Pranet on November 14, 2020, 10:12:35 AM
I think Richard Herring has admitted he has a bully in him that comes

I bet he does the dirty old bollox.

Menu

Quote from: Pranet on November 14, 2020, 10:12:35 AM
I mean, him calling AC's mum a "fucking idiot" was really funny.

Haha! I agree but because it really upset Andrew he also made it a part of the Tiny Andrew Collins character on AIOTM. Proper bullying, needling away at the vulnerabilities of his victim.

Thosworth

The odd thing about the whole situation, that I think has been touched on here elsewhere, is that Herring then and now refers to the relationship as 'a double act', when it never came across like that at all - there were never any scripted shows, or improvised sketches or whatever, it was always just two people from different fields chatting nonsense. Plus the podcasts were fairly one sided - it always seemed like Collins was a sounding board for Herring to bounce ideas off.

When they fell out over Collin's getting his own 6 Music show, they both wrote blog posts, and I agreed far more with Collin's reading of the situation - Herring had no interest in music and was often bored on and off air, and he was doing loads of solo comedy work himself at the time.

During their final stage appearance Collins mentioned that in every time they had ever met, Herring had never once asked him how he was. So maybe it's the fact that they were never that friendly that gave Herring the impression they were in a double act partnership (otherwise, why else would they ever meet up?)