Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:40:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petril

Quote from: Pranet on November 14, 2020, 10:12:35 AM
I think Richard Herring has admitted he has a bully in him that comes out sometimes and it came out

and they've all came out by the time etc

pigamus

But why wouldn't Collins stand up for himself, give as good as he got? He's just so prissy. To be honest he sounds like the kind of bloke who thinks "How are you?" is an unwarranted intrusion into his private life.

Tony Tony Tony

Always enjoyed the Collings and Herrin podcast possibly now out of a sense of nostalgia in that as there were fewer decent podcasts (especially comedy) around their weekly arrival was something of a treat. (How many unlistened podcasts you got right now?).

The dynamic definitely changed between the two as the run progressed. Collins became more confident and, though with Herrings help, even put on an Edinburgh show of his 'Secret Dancing'. My own view FWIW is that Collins became uncomfortable not only the direction the podcast was being taken in (deffo bullying) but he disliked the public recognition he was getting, albeit from a minority nerdish fan base. I reckon he was creeped out when he found messages, alluding to the podcast, on the toilet wall in the British Library.

I believe they remain good friends even today and he always seemed to take Tiny Andrew in good spirit and appeared as himself in AIOTM.         

chveik

Quote from: pigamus on November 14, 2020, 03:31:40 PM
But why wouldn't Collins stand up for himself, give as good as he got? He's just so prissy. To be honest he sounds like the kind of bloke who thinks "How are you?" is an unwarranted intrusion into his private life.

have you ever been bullied?

JamesTC

Quote from: pigamus on November 14, 2020, 03:31:40 PM

Collins did give back almost as good as he got. Particularly in the live shows. The 100th episode is a standout for Collins really taking charge and getting all the laughs at Herring's expense.

Menu

Quote from: Thosworth on November 14, 2020, 11:37:14 AM
The odd thing about the whole situation, that I think has been touched on here elsewhere, is that Herring then and now refers to the relationship as 'a double act', when it never came across like that at all - there were never any scripted shows, or improvised sketches or whatever, it was always just two people from different fields chatting nonsense. Plus the podcasts were fairly one sided - it always seemed like Collins was a sounding board for Herring to bounce ideas off.

When they fell out over Collin's getting his own 6 Music show, they both wrote blog posts, and I agreed far more with Collin's reading of the situation - Herring had no interest in music and was often bored on and off air, and he was doing loads of solo comedy work himself at the time.

During their final stage appearance Collins mentioned that in every time they had ever met, Herring had never once asked him how he was. So maybe it's the fact that they were never that friendly that gave Herring the impression they were in a double act partnership (otherwise, why else would they ever meet up?)

Herring does come across as a bit narcisstic. The fact that he was furious with Andrew for not inviting him on his new show rather than (a) being happy for him and (b) realising it's probably because Herring had been so unpleasant on the podcast. Herring's entitlement trumps everything.

Sin Agog

Quote from: JamesTC on November 14, 2020, 03:58:37 PM
Collins did give back almost as good as he got. Particularly in the live shows. The 100th episode is a standout for Collins really taking charge and getting all the laughs at Herring's expense.

Didn't Collins once sign up to CaB to give someone the ol' what for?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 16, 2020, 12:28:49 AM
Didn't Collins once sign up to CaB to give someone the ol' what for?
Me (and possibly others). I was less than kind to him, to be fair. Not an opinion that's changed, but it's not like I've followed his career closely since.

Mobius

chveik

Sin Agog

Actually, he came across relatively earnest and human in his posts there, which was maybe my problem with most of the Collins and Herring stuff (besides the topicality making my way after the fact listen much shakier than it would have been at the time)- he wasn't a massively charismatic, or witty, or engaging presence.  Basically a fairly nice journo holding court to a slightly younger and cokier/cockier Herring doing his naughty schoolboy thing, which didn't work as well because Collins was so bloody normal.  He didn't have a Pilkington hangdog gurn or any great comedic returns up his sleeve, so the dynamic didn't really work for me.

thugler

I don't know what sort of laugh riot people expected from 2 people (only 1 of which being a comedian) doing an improvised podcast, initially doing a review of the papers. I don't really listen to podcasts for unmitigated laughs anyway. It was at least initially a bit of harmless fun, a couple of people chatting in a mildly amusing fashion and in a time when there were not the onslaught of podcasts you get now. Some of the comments in that old thread are a bit rum, I'm in there as well making the 'it's a character' excuse, which I was eventually no longer convinced by.

Mobbd

I was/am quite a big fan of C&H. They were good times and I regularly listen to the old podcasts. I understand what people are saying here though. I only ever listen to older episodes (episode 75 or thereabouts is my usual cut-off). The rough-and-tumble gets quite unpleasant.

EDIT: I originally wrote quite a lot here about where and how it started to go wrong and instantly regretted it. You can only read between the lines so much as a listener so it was all just conjecture. Let's leave it as the above.

JamesTC

Quote from: Mobbd on November 16, 2020, 04:42:28 PM
I was/am quite a big fan of C&H. They were good times and I regularly listen to the old podcasts. I understand what people are saying here though. I only ever listen to older episodes (episode 75 or thereabouts is my usual cut-off). The rough-and-tumble gets quite unpleasant.

Some of my favourite bits come after that. Herring sending a letter to a magazine suggesting Anton Du Beke should be replaced by Nick Griffin because he would be less racist. Collins asking if an audience member made his Mum come. Herring calling Walt Disney a frozen headed cunt and telling him to sue them. The Welsh time traveller. Collins taking charge in episode 100.

Mobbd

Quote from: JamesTC on November 16, 2020, 05:38:34 PM
Some of my favourite bits come after that. Herring sending a letter to a magazine suggesting Anton Du Beke should be replaced by Nick Griffin because he would be less racist. Collins asking if an audience member made his Mum come. Herring calling Walt Disney a frozen headed cunt and telling him to sue them. The Welsh time traveller. Collins taking charge in episode 100.

Good calls. I'll edge into the later episodes then, keeping an ear out for those moments. Don't remember the Du Beck thing at all. Hahaha.

I was in the room for the "did you make your mum come" moment. It was pretty amazing. The place was in uproar. ABOOOOO!

bgmnts

Quote from: thugler on November 16, 2020, 10:21:08 AM
I don't know what sort of laugh riot people expected from 2 people (only 1 of which being a comedian)

Athletico Mince exists.

Dusty Substance

I've paid barely any interest in Ed Gamble since he and Peacock/Boldsworth went their separate ways (I still think of him as Big Fat Wobbly Ed Gamble), so it was interesting to catch up with him on RHLSTP.  He still seems like a nice lad, although I reckon he wouldn't exactly be too keen on certain bits from The Ray Peacock Podcast surfacing to a more general audience in 2020 ("downers", "mongs" etc).

Just watched the latest one with Nell Scovell, who has an insane amount of comedy writing credits and has worked with both Garry Shandling and Larry David, but as always the episode was 60% Herring/40% guest and a lot of her stories and responses to questions were cut short by Herring talking about himself.

Dusty Substance

Arthur Mat(t)hews RHLSTP is now up.

Actually, it's been up for 15 hours - I assume they'll steer clear of the topic of Glinner else it would probably have already been all over Twitter by now.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Dusty Substance on November 25, 2020, 07:14:13 PM
Arthur Mat(t)hews RHLSTP is now up.

Actually, it's been up for 15 hours - I assume they'll steer clear of the topic of Glinner else it would probably have already been all over Twitter by now.

There is, if not a full elephant, a sizable trunk in the room.
The closest it comes is saying The Father Ted musical didn't happen for a variety of reasons.
I can imagine the earlier RHLSTP Herring would have blustered into it - watching earlier editions really highlights the contrast in his approach.

Not particularly revelatory to most, but Herring saying the theme from Taxi is so haunting it makes him feel sick, was a shock moment of realising it's not just me.

thugler

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 26, 2020, 01:07:04 AM
The closest it comes is saying The Father Ted musical didn't happen for a variety of reasons.
I can imagine the earlier RHLSTP Herring would have blustered into it - watching earlier editions really highlights the contrast in his approach.

Not particularly revelatory to most, but Herring saying the theme from Taxi is so haunting it makes him feel sick, was a shock moment of realising it's not just me.

I imagine there was some pre-agreement not to bring him up. Has Herring ever revealed himself as a terf? I wouldn't put it past him given his close association with emma kennedy

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: thugler on November 26, 2020, 04:42:38 PM
Has Herring ever revealed himself as a terf? I wouldn't put it past him given his close association with emma kennedy

I don't think that's a very fair assumption. Mathews is/was closely associated with Linehan, and he doesn't appear to be a batshit insane bigot. I would be quite surprised if Herring is a terf, he doesn't seem the type.

Pranet

It is batshit in the way that this forum, love it as I do, is occasionally batshit.

selectivememory

I imagine there was some pre-agreement not to bring him up. Has Herring ever revealed himself as a terf? I wouldn't put it past him given his close association with emma kennedy

He did block Glinner shortly before he was booted off Twitter, which really pissed Graham off, as you would expect. And around the same time Herring mentioned on a podcast about a time when he got a bit of terf backlash for some innocuous comment on Twitter, which pretty much destroyed any sympathy he might have had for their arguments. So no, he's not a terf.

https://youtu.be/_yIh410-goQ?t=4055  - at 1:07:35 if the link doesn't take you there directly.

sutin

Herring blocked Linehan (although it did take him a while), and he also tweeted this recently...

https://twitter.com/Herring1967/status/1329359707274948608

And i'm sure trans rights came up on RHLSTP (maybe with Grace Petrie?) and he was definitely not on the terf side.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 26, 2020, 01:07:04 AM

Yeah, I totally got the impression that there'd been an agreement before the interview to not mention the Glinsanity.

Quote from: selectivememory on November 26, 2020, 05:03:39 PM
He did block Glinner shortly before he was booted off Twitter, which really pissed Graham off, as you would expect. And around the same time Herring mentioned on a podcast about a time when he got a bit of terf backlash for some innocuous comment on Twitter, which pretty much destroyed any sympathy he might have had for their arguments. So no, he's not a terf.

https://youtu.be/_yIh410-goQ?t=4055  - at 1:07:35 if the link doesn't take you there directly.

Lovely stuff.

Pink Gregory

Feels good not to be let down by someone that you used to admire, for once.

sutin

Quote from: selectivememory on November 26, 2020, 05:03:39 PM

Cheers, that bit was what I was thinking of. I know we like to criticise Herring but at least he's not an *actual* prick.

Pink Gregory

It's sort of the same reason that you can feel sneakingly safe with Adam Buxton, even when he brings up 'cancel culture' all the damn time.

Arthur Mathews has written a book about Dominic Cummings, an absolute cunt who he has "no strong feelings about".

The fucking state of satire in this country. Mathews may not be a mad terf, but in that Herring interview he comes across as a complacent, financially secure hack with no moral backbone.