Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

At the end of the day, 2020 was probably the most successful year of Richard Herring's career in the 21st century.

sutin

Jeremy Paxman on this week's episode, that was unexpected.

I found the Paxman one entertaining - I think Paxman is a mad old Tory curmudgeon, who plays up being a mad old Tory curmudgeon.  Sometimes the awkward ones are really enjoyable. 

MojoJojo

There's a new thread. Post in that one.

I am the alpha and the omega.

sutin

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on March 25, 2021, 07:40:44 AM
I found the Paxman one entertaining - I think Paxman is a mad old Tory curmudgeon, who plays up being a mad old Tory curmudgeon.  Sometimes the awkward ones are really enjoyable.

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. Paxman is a complete arsehole but it made for a more interesting episode than usual.

I've fallen a bit behind with RHLSTP, are the ones recorded in the theatre with Nish Kumar and Lou Sanders any good?

Mobbd

Quote from: sutin on March 25, 2021, 01:35:23 PM
Yeah, I enjoyed it too. Paxman is a complete arsehole but it made for a more interesting episode than usual.

I've fallen a bit behind with RHLSTP, are the ones recorded in the theatre with Nish Kumar and Lou Sanders any good?

I stupidly put some thoughts down in a separate thread, but we can run with it here I reckon.

Quote from: Mobbd on February 24, 2021, 08:56:53 AM
I'm watching the new Lou Sanders ep of RHLSTP recorded live at the Clapham Grand a couple of weeks ago.

Rich and Lou are all alone on the stage, socially distanced from each other, their voices echoing in the empty auditorium. The audience are on a screen, grid-style, watching from their homes.

Rich and Lou are doing a good job, but fuck me it's making me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnmYZfKoSps

Ooh! there's one with Nish as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu5tzT7W5iA

sutin

Quote from: Mobbd on March 26, 2021, 08:54:23 AM
I'm watching the new Lou Sanders ep of RHLSTP recorded live at the Clapham Grand a couple of weeks ago.

Rich and Lou are all alone on the stage, socially distanced from each other, their voices echoing in the empty auditorium. The audience are on a screen, grid-style, watching from their homes.

Rich and Lou are doing a good job, but fuck me it's making me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnmYZfKoSps

Ooh! there's one with Nish as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu5tzT7W5iA

Ah, thanks for that. I can forgive Rich for wanting to get back in a theatre after 10 months of Zoom interviews but man that sound depressing.

Mobbd

Quote from: sutin on March 26, 2021, 11:30:04 AM
Ah, thanks for that. I can forgive Rich for wanting to get back in a theatre after 10 months of Zoom interviews but man that sound depressing.

Yeah, absolutely. No shade on Rich or Lou (or Nish) at all. Give it a try. Was just my subjective take on the day.

There's a funny bit where Lou drops her water bottle and it rolls towards Rich. She lunges after it, inadvertently making a mockery of the distancing efforts. Love that crazy gal.

sutin

Rolf Lundgren

The Brian Regan one was a bit meandering and Richard seemed nervous around him for some reason. Their styles didn't really compliment each other but was a nice enough chat. To be fair, Richard hasn't been well so kudos for getting back into it again so quickly.

I liked the Paxman one although he would be insufferable to spend any amount of time with. He's like a posh British Rickles seizing on any weakness or self-deprecating comment yet without a sense of genuine affection underneath it. Made for a good interview though and would have liked to have seen it with a crowd.

Tony Tony Tony

Not strictly on topic but just read this on Herrings warming up page for yesterday Friday 9th....

I had intended to get into some proper work, but the afternoon slipped by. And then the news came in that Prince Philip had died and so obviously it didn't feel right to work or have normal programmes on the TV for a month (hold on, is this going to affect tomorrow's Pointless episode cos I've waited a long time for that?). 

He will be livid.

Sebastian Cobb

Dominik Diamond one out now.

I didn't know Rich has recently got over bollock cancer.

Sebastian Cobb

Diamond may have packed in the beak but he's still quite manic and obnoxious. A bit too eager to draw everything back to his book and also a bit too eager to needle rich for upsetting Stephen Merchant.

Sacking his own mum in front of people like he's Alan Sugar, christ.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, that one was exhausting. Christ alive, just imagine what he was like on coke in the '90s. I think he's probably an alright bloke really, but his loud, hyperactive demeanour makes him difficult to warm to.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 15, 2021, 11:07:06 AM
Sacking his own mum in front of people like he's Alan Sugar, christ.

To be fair, he's obviously utterly mortified by that incident. Quite a lot of the interview involves him admitting that he was a total prick in those doggone crazy coked-up days. He may be quite annoying still, but he's not entirely lacking in self-awareness. It's not as if he told that story about his mum to make himself look like a wacky rock 'n' roll funster. It was a cautionary tale.

Sebastian Cobb

Well yeah, he was now mortified but I think he was over-egging just how much he's changed. He probably can't help it though.

He also seemed to needle Rich about his balls and I'm not sure he quite saw the funny side.

Yup, I got the impression that Herring found him quite annoying too.

beanheadmcginty

Don't recall him being anywhere near that hyper presenting Gamesmaster. Maybe the chang actually used to calm him down a bit.

RicoMNKN

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 15, 2021, 11:07:06 AM
a bit too eager to needle rich for upsetting Stephen Merchant.

I just took that as his way of showing he's a fan of the podcast.

easytarget

Quote from: RicoMNKN on April 15, 2021, 09:51:07 PM
I just took that as his way of showing he's a fan of the podcast.
Me too, he referenced some other guests too IIRC.
He seemed really into it and I liked his confessional stories. I wasn't really expecting to like him but after a few minutes I did.

I think the problem with Diamond in that episode was that he came across as quite nervous and eager to make a good impression. Which is fair enough. Herring - understandably, what with all he's been through recently - didn't seem to be in the mood to deal with Diamond's nervous energy.

And for what it's worth, years ago I briefly chatted to Diamond after his band* had played a gig. He was very pleasant and not at all hyper. I feel quite bad now for describing him as exhausting earlier, he was just trying to be a good guest. Sorry, Dominik.

* They were quite good. Sounded a bit like Orange Juice.

madhair60

sutin

I think Rich was probably a bit tired from chemo, which of course completely understandable. I didn't sense him being annoyed by Diamond at all. Really good episode, RHLSTP is currently having a great run.

Mister Six

Chemo?! Fucking hell, I've not listened to RHLSTP since the pandemic began so I had no idea. Hope it's going as well as it can for him.

vainsharpdad

Quote from: Mister Six on April 17, 2021, 10:09:24 AM
Chemo?! Fucking hell, I've not listened to RHLSTP since the pandemic began so I had no idea. Hope it's going as well as it can for him.

Yeah, you missed Rich dropping a bollock big-time.

ProvanFan

Diamond got a few laughs out of me. Obnoxious and relentless aye but he has a way with words sometimes and managed a weird career with some interesting/tragic tales to tell.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on April 17, 2021, 10:09:24 AM

From what I gather he was in pain with the testicle, they decided to remove it, and once they had they siscovered it was cancer, but it hadn't spread. To make sure it didn't return he was advised to have one dose of chemo though which he naturally did, and now should be okay, so while undoubtedly horrific it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Drygate

Even when the guest isn't the best its nearly always a nice listen.

Anyone going to buy the Gamesmaster book?

Was Dom slagging off Stewart Lee for any reason or just to try and ingratiate himself with Richard as he thought they were feuding?

Maybe Lee never responded to his request to be in the book...?

frajer

Quote from: Drygate on April 19, 2021, 12:49:39 PM
Was Dom slagging off Stewart Lee for any reason or just to try and ingratiate himself with Richard as he thought they were feuding?

That was what I presumed to, it all seemed pretty tongue-in-cheek though. I took it as Dom making a joke about Stew because he'd heard Rich making similar remarks in the past.

And I thought it was nice to hear Rich breaking down the joystick incident down as at least partly caused by the comedy dynamic of Lee & Herring, which would require the higher-status Lee to get angry and kick off as it didn't fit his character to lose.