Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:08:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Just about made it through the Dominick Diamond episode but it was a struggle at times, some of the stories are really interesting but some of it was irritating and he's far too manic in places for my liking, and though he's supposedly full of self-deprecating tales I thought he was annoyingly arrogant in places.

mjwilson

No wonder that he got called a cunt when he was on cocaine

Tony Tony Tony

Just checked out the upcoming guests for RHLSTP to see Johnny Vegas is due again which should be good as his last appearance was top ten but 5 July showing as CaB HS Art legend Robin Askwith! What larks will ensue?

JamesTC

Herring's latest appearance on Pointless Celebrities is worth a watch. He partnered with Les Dennis
Spoiler alert
and he finally wins that trophy.
[close]

Drygate

Had to bail on Anneka Rice I'm afraid. The re-release of the Stephen Fry one is good though.

AlexTwist

Quote from: Drygate on May 10, 2021, 02:06:17 PM
Had to bail on Anneka Rice I'm afraid.

Aw how far did you get?  Once it got going I thought it was a right laugh.

Drygate

I felt like I got quite far. It seemed to be more of her telling her story than having a laugh with Rich. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it?

Not sure I want to listen to him and his wife. I do out of morbid curiosity. But it also feels a bit voyeuristic.

sutin

I quite enjoyed the one with his wife. TBF she does have a comedy and writing career.

Magnum Valentino

Catie "I mean..." Wilkins, as she oughtta be known.

sutin

First RHLSTP recorded live in a theatre for a while and the guest is chuffing Geoff Norcott.

Magnum Valentino

Never heard of him but he's doing that stock in trade raised eyebrow in all his promo shots.

It's either that or the Kevin Smith "who, ME?" look these days.

Pink Gregory

Wonder if Geoff will have developed something more to say other than "I'm a CONSERVATIVE and I'm a COMEDIAN, in't that UNUSUAL?"

Speaking of, after not listening for ages and enjoying the lovely Nigel Planer one, I went back to the most recent Alexei Sayle one, having also enjoyed Alexei's podcast recently, and my god I got unreasonably irritated by Rich's shit centrist non-committal politics.  Feels like he really got showed up against Alexei who, you know, actually believes in something.

Drygate

The live intro was painful after months of the more sedate video podcasts.

Wet Blanket

Herring complaining to Norcott about a forum turning against him in the early noughties because of a hive-mind. That's CaB innit? He means CaB.

Mobbd

This output has been pretty bad. All those videos -- snooker, puppets, stone-clearing, deskbound rhlstp -- are awful and relentless. Maybe he thought he was helping us out by providing entertainment in lockdown or something? But it would have been a smarter move and better for everyone if he'd done one weekly (or even monthly) thing and done it well.

It's really sad. He has long been my favourite from that wave of '90s comedians (for his talent and for his underdogness) but he seems to have this idea that "effort" is good and that it should be rewarded regardless of how much imagination or creative restraint he can summon. Look at this from Warming Up a couple of days ago:

QuoteA dazed day of sloth punctuated by creeping fear that it's now mid-June and I haven't got beyond writing the first scene of Relativity (which I did in a burst of keenness back in April I think). But hopefully that queasiness will mean that tomorrow I can bash out something embarrassing and awful that I can work towards improving over the next few months. I still have several weeks, but am having a couple of weeks off in August and have to write a book before then. But it's a relatively easy book.

I'm sure that book written over the next six weeks will be excellent. "Oh Icarus," etc.

:(

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Mobbd on June 18, 2021, 12:20:25 PM

I'm sure that book written over the next six weeks will be excellent. "Oh Icarus," etc.

:(

Isn't it an book of EITHER/OR in the vein of his Emergency Questions?  I swore he mentioned it in one of the recent RHLSTPs.
If that's the case it probably doesn't need massive commitment.

Cold Meat Platter

Found this bit in a recent interview with Stew mentioned in the Stew thread, thought it was interesting to hear a reasonably straight evaluation of Herring by him:

"It seems hard to imagine that we did work together now, given that I haven't really spoken to Richard, aside from during his podcasts when he would ask me to remember things he had done, this century.

I understand from his appearances on podcasts that he thinks I didn't really contribute anything to the double act anyway so I don't know how or why it worked. I know I wrote some of the material as it was based on my personal experience, opinions, interests, and sad memories of my own family, but he may be right. Certainly my individual popularity and success as a stand-up initially lead to us both being signed by Avalon, but I am not sure that was a very good result for either of us in the end anyway.

I think there was an adolescent dynamic at work, probably based on how we saw ourselves as teenagers, that limped on into our 20s, but I don't think there was much more you could have done with it as adults. Certainly there was no financial incentive for me to continue with the double act as on balance the double act lost money because the tours ate up anything else we made in debts to Avalon promotions and everything I made from the 90s was from the stand-up circuit or writing for other people. (After that, Avalon produced Jerry Springer The Opera and lost millions in much the same way) I think I was good at hanging back live and providing Richard with the opportunity to be excessive – he sort of plays chicken with notions of taste – that I would then reign in at the last possible point, like a police dog handler, but I don't think I was able to transfer over many of the skills I developed in the stand-up.

I was doing stand-up 5 nights a week for most of the 90s, which was where my heart lay and was always where I saw my future, ever since seeing Ted Chippington at the age of 16. But I tour around the country there is always someone in the merch queue that wants a Fist of Fun book signed so it does seem to be fondly remembered by some older people. I can't really remember much about it to be honest. I hated the production style of the second series of Fist of Fun and just remember being very stressed by the two live series. The other performers in all of our TV stuff were very good – especially Kevin and Paul and Pete Baynham.

I am ashamed that I strip-mined my family's lives for a lot of material in This Morning With Richard Not Judy without thinking what that might feel like. As a parent I understand them better now but they are all dead. The Lee and Herring live dvd was badly produced by Avalon which was a shame as we did sometimes get quite a hysteria going live and that isn't documented anywhere, although the bit of my stand-up act on that is quite interesting. Rich worked very hard and was very conscientious but I don't think he had much of an ear for tonality or musicality and wasn't interested in learning from other practitioners or in finding out about areas of culture outside his immediate sphere, although I think that very insularity might have helped him to consolidate his podcaster character, which has proved an effective and lucrative way for him to maintain both his profile and his independence. I am the opposite. Maybe that was what was good about it. I am glad I had a second chance in life to do things I was happier with. I have been very lucky."

Bit in bold I found particularly relevant.

robhug

Herring has been a familiar figure to a lot of people on this forum over the last 30 years.

Thinking about it, I've seldom found anything he's done (on his own) at all humorous and frequently cringe at how poor he performs on his own podcast, which are only a qualified success and completely down to the quality of the guest (I've not delved into his snooker, stoneclearing stuff). He seems generally well regarded among his peers and not dis-likable so I haven't got him in the twat category however he's unusual as any comedian who you haven't found funny over a 30 year span should surely be in there.

Magnum Valentino

Other forums he might be referring to could be the Not BBC forum (where he posted) and Some Of The Corpses Are Amusing, unless they were branches of the same thing?

Dusty Substance

Good grief, he had Jackie Weaver on as a guest? Who wants to listen to that? I'd rather hear an interview with Guy Goma or the little girl who walked in on her Dad while he was doing a news report about North Korea.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 18, 2021, 02:40:55 PM
Good grief, he had Jackie Weaver on as a guest? Who wants to listen to that? I'd rather hear an interview with Guy Goma or the little girl who walked in on her Dad while he was doing a news report about North Korea.

Guy Goma is slated for RHLSTP #701

Cold Meat Platter

Just re-re-re-watching the Jess Phillips one lads.

olliebean

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 18, 2021, 10:16:07 PM
Guy Goma is slated for RHLSTP #701

Can we get Guy Kewney to turn up and pretend he's Guy Goma?

sevendaughters

Lee always goes back and forth on the strength/weakness of their dynamic; feels like not long ago he was imagining how they could do the same act in their 60s and 70s and have it work because of the oddness of it.

non capisco

I suspect they had a massive falling out at the time Lee put the kibosh on the TMWRNJ DVD release that soured any retrospection of their work together. Pure speculation on my part, but I don't think I've read a kind word either have said about the other since then.

DrGreggles

Was that the around the time of the podcast where Stew slagged off Avalon and it was cut out?
I saw a summary of what he said and it seemed to me that he was right.
Avalon should have been looking out for Rich and not putting him in a position where he could lose tens of thousands of pounds in a month at Edinburgh.

Sebastian Cobb

It's fairly standard 'double act' stuff isn't it, one leaves and ends up far more successful and the other one's bitter about it, when the successful one is pulled up on it they usually talk about the time together with mildly-fond indifference... which some fans have a bit of a hard time reconciling.

I'm not sure there's a way to come across 'well' in that situation.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: non capisco on June 19, 2021, 11:57:57 AM
I suspect they had a massive falling out at the time Lee put the kibosh on the TMWRNJ DVD release that soured any retrospection of their work together. Pure speculation on my part, but I don't think I've read a kind word either have said about the other since then.

Stew has said nice things about Rich and I recall him writing about him with praise in the footnotes to his annotated standup books.

Rich seems very much to be the 'shit upon' party in their relationship and by right has less kind things to say given the chance. He's more forthcoming with stories about Stew being mean to him during their association the more time passes.

DrGreggles

Herring's only unsuccessful in direct comparison though.
He's generally done pretty well for himself over the last 25 years.

non capisco

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 19, 2021, 12:27:34 PM
Stew has said nice things about Rich and I recall him writing about him with praise in the footnotes to his annotated standup books.

Ah, fair enough, I stand corrected.