Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:39:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Fucking hell, did he really get paid £5 million by Sky for one series of Baddiel's Syndrome? That must be a typo in that article from that thread, surely?

Beagle 2

I find Baddiel an interesting case because I do have some affection for him, but I'm not really sure why. I enjoyed MWE and N&B very much, but in 1998-ish I got both Frank Skinner and David Baddiel videos for Christmas. The Frank one was very strong (although to revisit it now, some material is pretty rooted in 90s unpleasantness). The Baddiel one I remember getting some friends round to watch and being bemused by him basically just saying stuff in a sarcastic voice and telling really boring stories. Since then I don't think he's done anything comedy related that I've enjoyed.

I did enjoy two of his novels, Time for Bed and The Secret Purposes. I've seen them getting pulled apart on here too, but there you go. And on stuff like Heresy I thought he was entertaining enough. I would like to have seen his last show because it's just such an odd story, but one that he's told to death now.

Still, when his name popped up on the Herring feed I thought "Oh, I'll listen to that". And it was shit and he witlessly droned on and possibly sounded a bit pissed.

I still sort of like him. Dunno, maybe I'm just nice. No, that can't be it.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 29, 2021, 11:29:17 AM
He never says this.

Even allowing that nobody in the world thinks he's a 'serious academic force', it's hard to see how the dots join up here. Genuinely intelligent people don't embark on impressions they can't do and then acknowledge that other people can? Or serious academics don't say silly things in the context of spontaneous light chatter? Or is it just that everyone likes safety in numbers when there are boots to stick in?

He doesn't say this. He says "Exactly like Spangles!" Sort of like what you wrote, except you've deliberately exaggerated the petulance of his response to make him sound more aggressive, humourless and snide than he really was. This may be what it sounded like in your head, it's not what it sounded like in reality.

Bring back Emergency Lalla Ward 10, that's what I say. Fascinating to see Baddiel's trajectory on CaB. Even after his Sky sitcom he was still being frequently hailed here as a modern comedy hero whose original subject matter and distinctive delivery inspired whole movements in comedy. Now literally anything he says - or whatever people think he said - is used as a stick to beat him with. Sinister.

Probably lots of people not arsed about baddiel like me, just can't be arsed to type about it

MoreauVasz

The politics thing is a valid comment. I think comedy does require at least some degree of sympathy or at least emotional openness to someone in order to allow them to make you laugh and I suspect a lot of people have slammed that door shut over his politics.

It's interesting that Frank Skinner is seen as the funny one because his sitcom was even more forgettable than Baddiel's. I think the difference is that Skinner remains likable and charming while Baddiel has never been charming and seems to grow less likeable with each passing year. Also, Skinner seems quite content to be a TV presenter who does occasional panel shows while Baddiel seems to think of himself as a public intellectual.

Sebastian Cobb

Skinner's seen as 'the funny one' because he's quick-witted and funny.

BeardFaceMan

And because of all those funny stand-up shows he did.

sevendaughters

also because when confronted with criticism he defends it reasonably ie. Matthew Kelly on his actual talk show

JamesTC

Skinner's documentary about Terrance Dicks was lovely.

mr. logic

Skinner is also consistently excellent on his podcast.

Mobius

Tony Yeboah

Richard's been trying to get Frank on RHLSTP for ages. I guess Frank just doesn't fancy it.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Mobius on July 29, 2021, 10:05:13 PM
Who doesn't like Fun Time Franky

I like him a lot... I also dislike Baddiel. And that's kind of the point I was trying to make.

up_the_hampipe

Sorry if I've missed all chat on this ages ago, but I just watched the most recent episode with Acaster & Gamble. At one point, they talk about Herring's relationship with Stewart Lee essentially being severed. Herring didn't hear from him during his battle with cancer, and Stew has apparently been slagging Herring off in interviews? I thought they were joking around when they took potshots at each other. When did this become real? 

Wet Blanket

Not sure about his proposed new funding plan. £10 each for the filmed episode? Pfff.

bgmnts

What interviews have Lee been slagging Herring off in?

Retinend

olliebean

Quote from: Wet Blanket on August 19, 2021, 02:47:37 PM
Not sure about his proposed new funding plan. £10 each for the filmed episode? Pfff.

Will the audio podcasts still be free?

Pranet

Quote from: Wet Blanket on August 19, 2021, 02:47:37 PM

Isn't that for a live stream rather than when the episode is released? (I don't know if he is going to stop putting them on youtube and cannot at the moment be arsed to check).

Also GFS say "All the profits from this streaming venture will be split between the hospitals that saved Rich's live and the Museum of Comedy."

He explains at the beginning of the Acaster and Gamble one it'll be the last one on youtube for a while (and the charity deal)

Pranet

Ah ok I have not actually listened to the podcast for a bit.

Doesn't worry me as I never actually watched them anyway, so long as he keeps releasing the audio.

I had a bit of a search through warming up and he mentions wanting to raise money for the filming via the streams as well.

Back at the start I seem to remember he tried charging for videos and it didn't really work iirc. But maybe people are more used to this sort of thing now.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: MoreauVasz on July 29, 2021, 05:00:00 PMIt's interesting that Frank Skinner is seen as the funny one because his sitcom was even more forgettable than Baddiel's.

Loads of people don't judge comedians solely on their sitcom. Skinner is one of the best stand up comedians around. I've seen him live twice in the last 5 years and he's amazing.

Curious questioning of people's motivations behind their opinions on comedy here. Skinner is very funny, Baddiel isn't. It's not rocket science.

olliebean

I'm not against him charging in principle, but it does seem a bit steep. £10 for effectively two episodes, or £50 for the season - I had a quick look on Amazon and couldn't find a single TV show that was more than £2.49/episode or 20 quid per season to stream - although I gather some season passes for new shows can cost more, but not as much as £50.

These will be the first RHLSTPs live at the theatre since pre-covid, won't they? Is the LST doing socially distanced seating? If so that might be why he needs to top up ticket sales by charging for the streams.

sutin

I'm quite astonished someone would sit at home and watch an entire RHLSTP anyway, podcasts are for when you're out and about.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: sutin on August 19, 2021, 07:58:05 PM
I'm quite astonished someone would sit at home and watch an entire RHLSTP anyway, podcasts are for when you're out and about.

I'm never out and about, so podcasts for me are something you listen to while pottering around the house.

The likes of Chart Music, Athletico Mince and Top Flight Time Machine have been an absolute godsend during these last miserable eighteen months.

sutin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 19, 2021, 08:12:13 PM
I'm never out and about, so podcasts for me are something you listen to while pottering around the house.

The likes of Chart Music, Athletico Mince and Top Flight Time Machine have been an absolute godsend during these last miserable eighteen months.

I do that too. I'd just never sit and watch a video podcast for 90 minutes.

Oh no, me neither. The visual gags in Herring's podcasts are very few and far between, although I suppose you might miss some amusing facial expressions. But that's not enough to make me actually sit down and watch a filmed podcast.

Jittlebags

Yes, TFTT is great background content. Wonder if Andy recovers from the Covids? Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Quote from: Jittlebags on August 19, 2021, 08:22:39 PM
Yes, TFTT is great background content. Wonder if Andy recovers from the Covids? Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

'Hot Body' Dawson has been tweeting today, so he's still alive. Glory be.

The streams are livestreams from the theatre though, and a tenner for online gigs have been the going rate through the pandemic.

My wife pays him a quid a month for RHLSTP and so we've got a discounted series pass for £25. I'm no Herring superfan, but with Adam and Joe, Tim Key and Harry Hill coming up I think it's decent value for a few hours of them on our telly every Monday night.