Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,321
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:18:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

I'm so out the loop on RHLSTP. Caught a handful of the remote record episodes and had been waiting for the show to return to his YouTube channel but episodes 332 to 339 aren't on there. Found them easily enough on comedy.co.uk's site, home to the original Collings and Herrin podcast, but is there a reason for the skip of episodes on his YT?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on August 19, 2021, 08:47:12 PM
The streams are livestreams from the theatre though, and a tenner for online gigs have been the going rate through the pandemic.

My wife pays him a quid a month for RHLSTP and so we've got a discounted series pass for £25. I'm no Herring superfan, but with Adam and Joe, Tim Key and Harry Hill coming up I think it's decent value for a few hours of them on our telly every Monday night.

That's a tenner for a show where months of work has gone in to them (or it should be, at least) not Herring having barely researched his guests and then asking them fucking tedious emergency questions and whining about not being on tv any more.

I quite like the podcast at times but £10 is taking the piss, they're described as previously being "loss making" but I can't understand how that's possible given that they were funded by kickstarter and the price of being in the audience in the Leicester Square Theatre was bloody expensive.

SweetPomPom

Quote from: olliebean on August 19, 2021, 07:39:27 PMThese will be the first RHLSTPs live at the theatre since pre-covid, won't they? Is the LST doing socially distanced seating? If so that might be why he needs to top up ticket sales by charging for the streams.

It's had a live crowd since the Johnny Vegas/Jessie Cave pair but don't think he's allowed to film (more likely too expensive)  when at the Clapham Grand.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 19, 2021, 09:28:17 PM
That's a tenner for a show where months of work has gone in to them (or it should be, at least) not Herring having barely researched his guests and then asking them fucking tedious emergency questions and whining about not being on tv any more.

Well, it depended what it was. No More Jockeys was a tenner a time and they probably did even less prep than Rich. Whereas I saw some incredible comedy on Twitch like EscapeTheNorth which would've taken hours (or even days?) of work and you were gently encouraged to donate a fiver.

I still don't think £10 for a few hours of live-streamed RHLSTP is completely unreasonable. And with various discounts you can get it down to £3.60 a night, which is £1.80 a guest. Bob Mortimer's just been announced for the first show alongside the Parapod too.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 19, 2021, 09:28:17 PMI quite like the podcast at times but £10 is taking the piss, they're described as previously being "loss making" but I can't understand how that's possible given that they were funded by kickstarter and the price of being in the audience in the Leicester Square Theatre was bloody expensive.

It can't still be loss making, can it? I don't think he does much else these days, so it's a worry if he can't make these profitable. Unless Steven Spielberg has optioned an Emergency Questions movie.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on August 19, 2021, 11:13:13 PM
It can't still be loss making, can it? I don't think he does much else these days, so it's a worry if he can't make these profitable. Unless Steven Spielberg has optioned an Emergency Questions movie.

That's what it says on the Go Faster Stripe RHLSTP club page: "Here's where you can contribute to make the loss making podcast RHLSTP slightly less loss making. Join our club to get a members pack of badges, wallet and membership card.". https://www.gofasterstripe.com/cgi-bin/w.cgi?page=badges

I guess it depends on how much Herring pays himself to do it, but I really can't understand it either.

The Ombudsman

Perhaps by loss making he means it's pays it's own way but he doesn't make any money from it.

I can see him doing this just for the fun (and exposure) but I can't see him running this for years part funding it himself.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I've mentioned this in the Blues Brothers thread, but here's the Dan Aykroyd episode of Off Menu that Acaster and Gamble talk about in the latest RHLSTP.

https://play.acast.com/s/offmenu/ep108-danaykroyd-bonusepisode-

It's every bit as odd and amusing as they describe.

Quote from: The Ombudsman on August 20, 2021, 10:18:20 AM
Perhaps by loss making he means it's pays it's own way but he doesn't make any money from it.

I can see him doing this just for the fun (and exposure) but I can't see him running this for years part funding it himself.

Well he's been doing these podcasts in one form or another for the best part of a decade or now. It's not like the exposure ever led to bigger audiences for his standup. It's a bit sad if he's not making a few quid off it.

The Acaster and Gamble one is good fun. I don't listen to Off Menu and don't really care for Ed Gamble, but it's always enjoyable when the guests come on and rip the piss out of Herring's schtick like James did for his
Spoiler alert
Emergency Questions books and Taskmaster performance
[close]

frajer

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on August 20, 2021, 04:50:48 PM
The Acaster and Gamble one is good fun. I don't listen to Off Menu and don't really care for Ed Gamble, but it's always enjoyable when the guests come on and rip the piss out of Herring's schtick like James did for his
Spoiler alert
Emergency Questions books and Taskmaster performance
[close]

Listened to this one yesterday and I enjoyed it too, Acaster will always be great value and yeah his jabs at Herring were good fun.

The Aykroyd anecdote I found interesting. I listened to that Off Menu ep at the time and it is a slightly surreal episode BUT - I do think Gamble and Acaster do have a tendency to hype up what is quite a disposable podcast. It's an ok listen, but it's basically light entertainment that promotes their brand. The way Akyroyd interpreted his role as guest was absolutely fine, especially since he's clearly never listened to the pod before.

I know they're playing up mocking Aykroyd for caning his way through the requirements because he'd agreed to come on and promote his vodka, but all I could think was "good for him!"

They weren't really mocking him as such, were they? It was obviously quite an odd experience for them both, but you can tell they enjoyed it. And Aykroyd was very entertaining in his charmingly eccentric way, he didn't come across badly at all.

frajer

I suppose mocking might be too harsh. But I think there's definitely an air of them thinking Aykroyd should have "done it properly." Must admit I do find Off Menu overrated so that's possibly my bias coming out to play.

Well that's true, yes. I'm not a big fan of Off Menu either, hence why I enjoyed it unexpectedly turning into The Dan Aykroyd Show.

pigamus

Given how much of his content I've watched over the years for free I wouldn't begrudge him a tenner.

amateur

Quote from: frajer on August 23, 2021, 03:08:53 PM
I suppose mocking might be too harsh. But I think there's definitely an air of them thinking Aykroyd should have "done it properly." Must admit I do find Off Menu overrated so that's possibly my bias coming out to play.

That's definitely part of Gamble's schtick, that people should do things properly - Taskmaster podcast backs that up. I thought ol' Akkers was about ten times more interesting than most of their guests.

easytarget

Those ambivalent to  Off Menu might want to listen to the new one with Bob Mortimer.

lankyguy95

Quote from: easytarget on August 25, 2021, 05:09:01 PM
Those ambivalent to  Off Menu might want to listen to the new one with Bob Mortimer.
No because I'll still be ambivalent to it, I'll just know that I like Bob Mortimer. And I'm already aware of that.

Re: the charging a tenner stuff, he tweeted earlier that the profits from that will be going to charity.

easytarget

Quote from: lankyguy95 on August 25, 2021, 05:44:14 PM
No because I'll still be ambivalent to it, I'll just know that I like Bob Mortimer. And I'm already aware of that.

I don't think it'll change anyone's mind about the podcast but it's more Mortimer Content (TM) which is always good.

Milo

It was very good although I wish they'd drilled down a bit more on the Bovril chat.

Mr Trumpet

I liked the idea that Bob is interested in observing people and doesn't give a toss about objects/facts, while Jim Moir is the opposite.

non capisco

The odd couple Vic & Bob holiday anecdotes were great. "I see there's one of those brown signs up ahead saying something like 'ROPE MUSEUM' and I think 'Oh, I hope to god Jim doesn't see it."

Greg Torso

Ed Gamble is a Surf Shack mannequin with Dreamworks face

robotam

Greg Torso

Quote from: easytarget on August 25, 2021, 05:09:01 PM

oh man 24 minutes in "Do you know anyone called Andrew that you like?"
"I wish I knew an Andrew"

No more Athletico Mince then...

mojo filters

Quote from: frajer on August 23, 2021, 10:54:18 AM
Listened to this one yesterday and I enjoyed it too, Acaster will always be great value and yeah his jabs at Herring were good fun.

The Aykroyd anecdote I found interesting. I listened to that Off Menu ep at the time and it is a slightly surreal episode BUT - I do think Gamble and Acaster do have a tendency to hype up what is quite a disposable podcast.

I don't watch every episode of RHLSTP, but certainly will if the guest(s) sound potentially interesting. I only watched this episode because of the positive and interesting comments on here. I'm not particularly interested in Ed Gamble's comedy, and although I've really enjoyed Acaster's stand-up, the interviews I've previously seen with him have never seemed as rewarding.

I've never listened to Off Menu, but was pleasantly surprised with this episode of RHLSTP. If I get around trying Off Menu, I'll listen to the Herring one to begin with.

I really enjoyed Acaster and Gamble's irreverent approach, especially their frankness and pushing back on the more irritating aspects of Herring's interview technique. I may be projecting too much here, but it seemed like they made Herring genuinely uncomfortable at times - he appeared a bit thin skinned at times, moving on quickly rather than rolling with the punches.

Once again I may be interpreting too much in line with my own biases, but it was enjoyable to see Herring appear less capable of taking implicit criticism (though he often looked like he was hiding any discomfort) compared with how comfortable he is when mercilessly dishing it out.

I guess it's probably easier to challenge Herring as the host when there's two against one, nevertheless Acaster's jabs in particular were very funny and rewarding. I know folks tend to think Herring plays up his vulnerabilities and underdog shtick as part of his comedic persona, but I can quickly tire of him repeatedly and predictably playing the hard-done-by victim.

I think Herring's got a genuine chip on his shoulder around his relative lack of success, which sometimes comes off like a real life Partridge-esque expectation that the BBC/comedy business owes him a living. That's not meant to completely detract from his actual talent as an engaging, interesting, entertaining and quirky/original host and interviewer, however some of his repetitive tendencies can be tiresome - especially when playing up his victim hood, vulnerabilities and insecurity shtick.

Hence it was enjoyable and refreshing to see his guests pushing back, with Acaster in particular managing to make Herring look uncomfortable on occasion. I guess the other interviews I've seen would have been before Acaster's impressive Netflix specials, so he may just be more confident these days. However his quick wit was more in line with what I expected, based on the actual stand-up of his which I've really enjoyed.

I've not paid to see/hear any comedy or podcasts before, except obviously general subscriptions to Sky, streaming services and so forth, so I may be out of touch here. However paying £10 to see two episodes of RHLSTP seems absurdly expensive, even if half is going to a worthy cause. If there was one particularly worthy guest (ie Stewart Lee level) I'd not mind the expense as a one off, but even the multi episode discounted prices still seem excessively expensive for an interview show.

I may be a little jaded to be fair. I missed out on tickets for I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue when it came to my local theatre, coinciding with plans I'd already made to visit my folks. I ended up buying a pair on eBay for around £100, which I was happy to do as a long time fan.

Then with his typical trademark sense of comic timing, Humphrey Lyttelton immediately got sick and then died, robbing me of a long-held ambition to see his exceptional work in the flesh. Rob Brydon wasn't as good a host as he'd been a guest, whilst the guest was Phill fucking Jupitus and one of the worst guest appearances I'd ever experienced since Willie Rushton's early vacation of that chair!

Hence I may be out of touch with these things, but I'd be surprised if there are that many fans willing to splash out £10 to stream two interviews. If it was an actual comedy show, that seems like a very fair price. The kind of value someone good and especially invested in providing maximum bang for the customer's buck (eg Kitson) would offer, hence I'd expect bigger "names" to charge even more.

It's nice that Herring is grateful for the good care he got on the NHS, but taking it to the level of obliging his fans to repeatedly donate at a 50% markup seems a bit unrealistic. However as I've mentioned, I simply may be behind the times. Perhaps I'm belatedly becoming like my Dad, who rarely ventured beyond builders merchants, DIY shops  and garden/allotment supply places - but on the rare occasion he had to buy more normal goods, he would invariably was shocked by what he perceived to be high prices, loudly, regularly (and rather ridiculously redundantly) converting said prices to old pounds, shillings and pence, to reinforce his surprise!

Greg Torso

Quote from: Milo on August 25, 2021, 08:55:50 PM
It was very good although I wish they'd drilled down a bit more on the Bovril chat.

I went out with a girl whose nan who drank Bovril. It was a constant source of amusement and bafflement. I'd forgotten that it was even a thing until Bob mentioned it.

Anyway, it was a good episode. I don't usually bother with Off Menu because talking about eating/cooking food is one of the dullest things imaginable, but I liked that a lot more than the Herring show, which genuinely felt like it was spilling over into actual aggression or resentment towards the end.

Fucking hell, though, those emergency questions. Jesus.

DrGreggles

Why does Herring want/need to film RHLSTP anyway? Is it purely an ego thing?

Can't say I've listened (or watched) in ages but, if I suddenly had the urge, then audio only would be fine. It's a podcast after all.

sutin

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 26, 2021, 08:55:12 AM
Why does Herring want/need to film RHLSTP anyway? Is it purely an ego thing?

Can't say I've listened (or watched) in ages but, if I suddenly had the urge, then audio only would be fine. It's a podcast after all.

Exactly.

JamesTC

Mobbd

The NHS isn't a charity. If Herring wanted to help ensure a future for the NHS, he'd have got behind (all together now) Jeremy Corbyn!

He can go fuck himself. I used to be such a big fan too.