Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:38:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

I might be misunderstanding how the whole thing works here but I can't see any issue with Herring, or anyone else who charges for their podcasts/downloads, keeping the money themselves. It's their work after all, whatever the quality, and if someone is prepared to pay for it then why is there this expectation that a chunk or all of it should go to charity? Or is it just to coax people who otherwise wouldn't pay into doing so as they'll also be helping good causes? Probably wouldn't pay for Herring's (and certainly not £10 for two, that's insane) but I would for Adam Buxton's and a few others, and I'd see it as the same as paying for any other creative work where it's effectively the creator's income.     

olliebean

Is this replacing the Kickstarter funding, or is it in addition to it?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

A slightly awkward episode, that. Not because Holness is difficult - on the contrary, he comes across as a nice chap - but he appears to be quite shy and, by his own admission, isn't very comfortable doing things like this. So Rich has to do quite a lot of heavy lifting.

It's interesting, though, when Holness pretty much admits that Man to Man with Dean Learner was shit, his heart wasn't in it, and that's why he decided to focus on work he's actually interested in. Hence Possum, his impressively bleak and unsettling horror film from a couple of years ago. I hope he gets the chance to write and direct more films.

badaids

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 01, 2021, 05:27:58 PM
A slightly awkward episode, that. Not because Holness is difficult - on the contrary, he comes across as a nice chap - but he appears to be quite shy and, by his own admission, isn't very comfortable doing things like this. So Rich has to do quite a lot of heavy lifting.

It's interesting, though, when Holness pretty much admits that Man to Man with Dean Learner was shit, his heart wasn't in it, and that's why he decided to focus on work he's actually interested in. Hence Possum, his impressively bleak and unsettling horror film from a couple of years ago. I hope he gets the chance to write and direct more films.

Is his natural speaking voice flat and nasal like all his characters - I hope so.

It is not. He sounds quite cheerful. Sorry to disappoint.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Swoz_MK on September 01, 2021, 10:35:34 AM
Matt Holness RHLSTP now up -
https://play.acast.com/s/rhlstp/rhlstp343-matthewholness

He played the sax on One In Ten, died last week too. "Can I have a shit Matt", that was one of his.

Tony Tony Tony

privatefriend

Who was the unaired guest who drank too much, referred to before the Holness episode?

Tony Tony Tony

jobotic

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: jobotic on September 02, 2021, 02:43:28 PM
Why?

Who next, the Go Compare bloke?

After he recently interviewed Jackie Weaver anything is possible.

I'm expecting a call any day now.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: jobotic on September 02, 2021, 02:43:28 PM
Why?

Who next, the Go Compare bloke?

That bloke has a name if you don't mind - Gio Compario.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on September 02, 2021, 05:50:44 PM
That bloke has a name if you don't mind - Gio Compario.

Blimey.. that's almost the same as the product he advertises. Serendipity of the highest order. Who would have thought it possible?

frajer

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 01, 2021, 05:27:58 PM

Listened today and enjoyed this one. Not a laugh riot but I found the low-key Holness very appealing, and it felt like Herring reined in some of his excesses to match the energy too. At least until the inevitable emergency questions round where I must admit I lost interest.

Like you I found Possum terrifically impressive (and genuinely terrifying). I think about it's imagery often, and that haunting Radiophonic Workshop soundtrack too. It really is a striking and assured film.

Mobbd

He came off as a shy and very sweet man. A decent fellow with a lot of integrity and pretty high standards concerning what he puts out into the world.

DrGreggles

Tony Tony Tony

Barry Cryer is up, first one in a while that has been a must listen.

Part way through and it is already gold, as you would expect.

beanheadmcginty

I didn't know old Bazza had a little tradition of phoning up comedians on their birthday to tell them a joke. What lovely man.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 15, 2021, 02:26:07 PM
I didn't know old Bazza had a little tradition of phoning up comedians on their birthday to tell them a joke. What lovely man.

Not gonna spoil it but the one he told Herring for his Birthday was a corker.

Tony Tony Tony

Got part way through the Bob Mortimer one on train this morning.

As excellent as you would expect, though is there something wrong with Bob's speech? Sound like he has ill fitting false teeth.

niat

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 22, 2021, 01:24:20 PM

As excellent as you would expect, though is there something wrong with Bob's speech? Sound like he has ill fitting false teeth.

On the livestream you could see that Bob kept forgetting to hold the mic up to his mouth so it might be something to do with that.

sutin

Get some proper clip on mics Herring you goon!!

holdover

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 22, 2021, 01:24:20 PM

I've not yet listened to this but I've noticed this on Athletico Mince and also occasionally on his recent audiobook. I do think it's a dentures thing.

ProvanFan