Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:08:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sutin

His teeth are remarkably white for someone who started smoking as a teenager.

Echo Valley 2-6809

beanheadmcginty

Bob getting out his bad jokebook has the total inverse effect of Herring getting out his emergency questions book.

Tony Yeboah

I wish Bob would give Tim Vine credit for the jokes he borrows.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Thosworth

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 22, 2021, 05:49:19 PM
Bob getting out his bad jokebook has the total inverse effect of Herring getting out his emergency questions book.

Everyone laughs and no one cheers?

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 22, 2021, 06:56:28 PM
Which ones in particular?

All of them. He does the hypochondria joke on this RHLSTP but has used others on Athletico M8nce.

The Bumlord

Quote from: sutin on September 22, 2021, 04:33:45 PM
His teeth are remarkably white for someone who started smoking as a teenager.

I think he posted proudly on Instagram when his new teeth were first fitted.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on September 22, 2021, 10:39:09 PM
All of them. He does the hypochondria joke on this RHLSTP but has used others on Athletico M8nce.

You're saying that all of Bob's jokes are nicked off Tim Vine? Surely not.

Pranet

On Gone Fishing... it is noticeable that Paul Whitehouse has the teeth of a normal person compared to Bob's very even and white ones. Implants or falsies?

AllisonSays

I feel sure that I've seen or heard him say very directly that he's got false teeth, isn't it in that Would I Lie to You bit about doing home dentistry?

non capisco

Quote from: AllisonSays on September 24, 2021, 10:08:15 PM
I feel sure that I've seen or heard him say very directly that he's got false teeth, isn't it in that Would I Lie to You bit about doing home dentistry?

Yeah, his top set are the colour of pilau rice and his bottom teeth are the colour of poppadoms.

Twit 2

I listened to this having not bothered with RHLSTP for ages and the contrast with Buxton's is so stark. RH just can't shut up and everything the guest says has to come back to him. Dreadful.

Icehaven

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 29, 2021, 10:01:17 AM
I listened to this having not bothered with RHLSTP for ages and the contrast with Buxton's is so stark. RH just can't shut up and everything the guest says has to come back to him. Dreadful.

Yep I listen to both too and even though I must have listened to dozens of RHLSTPs I just can't warm to him. I only listen to the ones with guests I'm particularly interested in and generally skip his introductions, whereas I listen to Buckles's one regardless of who the guest is (although I've cut 1 or 2 short). 

Mobbd

I'd like to watch the recent Adam & Joe episode as a video/non-live livestream so that I can see them plumply crammed into their old Ad and Joe t-shirts.

What the heck do I have to do to get that? The shop at rhlstp.co.uk is just full of EQ books and old Herring DVDs. The Bob Mortimer and Parapod ones never emerged as their own videos in either free or purchasable formats from what I can see.

I would check my PMs if any kind rascal would help on that front; or I'd do it the proper way if I could work it out. (I know I am exceptionally stupid but you'd have to be).

The Bumlord

Is Chard going to be uploading these paid shows to YouTube after an appropriate interval? Or am I going to have to go medieval on his ass/pay?

sutin

This week's episode with The Parapod boys was delightful. Barry's story at the end had me choking on the train home.

Mobbd

Quote from: Utterdrivel on September 30, 2021, 09:26:34 PM
Is Chard going to be uploading these paid shows to YouTube after an appropriate interval? Or am I going to have to go medieval on his ass/pay?

I believe the line is that they're not going online. I suspect, however, they will appear eventually. When there's another hiatus or whatever.

Could be wrong but there was that period some years ago of releasing videos formerly only for badgers. And he's currently repeating shows on the podcast feed, which makes no sense to listeners[nb]though it makes sense to Sky Potato since they want the ad revenue[/nb] since every episode is always available.

lankyguy95

I don't really listen to this anymore but I put the recent David Mitchell one on today. I find his 'angry logic' so contrived now. Can almost tangibly sense him forcing himself to be irritated by something and pushing it till he gets the laugh.

Icehaven

Quote from: Mobbd on October 01, 2021, 08:40:40 AM
And he's currently repeating shows on the podcast feed, which makes no sense to listeners[nb]though it makes sense to Sky Potato since they want the ad revenue[/nb] since every episode is always available.

Yes when I first saw some with retro in the title I presumed they were just old ones he'd not put up before, but then I started one and realised they're 'repeats', which as you say is pointless.

Mobbd

Quote from: icehaven on October 09, 2021, 04:18:00 PM
Yes when I first saw some with retro in the title I presumed they were just old ones he'd not put up before, but then I started one and realised they're 'repeats', which as you say is pointless.

While I'm on my high horse about the podcast feed, why the fuck did they post all those "Retro AIOTM" episodes (a) at all and (b) as "series 1001" so that they're the *first thing* in the RHLSTP feed and you have to scroll past them all even to get to the most recent ep let alone an old one. Fucking bizarre and shit.

Pranet

To answer the "at all" part of your question, I think I saw RH say somewhere it was so the cast could finally get paid properly from the ads.

beanheadmcginty

First podcast app designer who includes an auto delete function for episodes that I've already listened to that someone has had the temerity to republish is getting my business. Scott Aukerman is currently doing the same thing with old episodes of Threedom.
Herring should start a separate highlights feed if he wants the extra business.

WhoMe

Latest episode with Tim Key is a treat, had me laughing in M25 traffic like a goon

Mobbd

Quote from: Pranet on October 09, 2021, 05:51:23 PM
To answer the "at all" part of your question, I think I saw RH say somewhere it was so the cast could finally get paid properly from the ads.

I'm pretty sure the cast were paid at the time. Can't imagine they get royalties. This is for Herring and/or to make more podcasts. I certainly don't object to self-financing or even to profit making, but this sort of shabbiness compromises the product and the culture around it. Making an awesome thing is what makes podcasting better than commercial or state-supported content, so it's a shame when things like this happen and it becomes just another load of junk. I'm probably being harsh but I do feel let down by the messiness of the feed and all the ads and whatnot after a long period of crowdfunding and the feeling of having a stake in this.

olliebean

I assumed it was so that, with the quality of these being so patchy, newcomers to the podcast listening to the most recent episodes will at least hear some that aren't crap.

Mobbd

Quote from: olliebean on October 15, 2021, 09:58:48 AM
I assumed it was so that, with the quality of these being so patchy, newcomers to the podcast listening to the most recent episodes will at least hear some that aren't crap.

Haha, true dat. And probably somewhat true for real! Even if Herring thinks the new ones are good, he's still probably thinking in terms of best of/highlights.

It's just so weird when all episodes are eternally available. Marc Maron sometimes repeats an old episode (usually to honour a career when someone dies) but that's because his episodes go into a pay archive after a certain time. When I write my novel, I intend to put Chapter 1 in there again after the inevitability mediocre Chapter 14.

I know I am complaining too much about something that doesn't really matter. My comment is just that it's a bit shit and scruffy.

Pranet

Quote from: Mobbd on October 15, 2021, 09:43:03 AM
I'm pretty sure the cast were paid at the time. Can't imagine they get royalties. This is for Herring and/or to make more podcasts. I certainly don't object to self-financing or even to profit making, but this sort of shabbiness compromises the product and the culture around it. Making an awesome thing is what makes podcasting better than commercial or state-supported content, so it's a shame when things like this happen and it becomes just another load of junk. I'm probably being harsh but I do feel let down by the messiness of the feed and all the ads and whatnot after a long period of crowdfunding and the feeling of having a stake in this.

I found what I thought I remembered:

QuoteAnd to raise some more advertising money to pay the cast and to add more hopefully to the comedians' fund we are going to be releasing old episodes of AIOTM every Friday until we run out of them. If you listen to them there then the ads will bring in money and I can finally pay Christian, Dan and Emma for their contribution and hopefully make some charity money too

http://www.richardherring.com/warmingup/20/03/2020/index.html

I think they were paid from the audience ticket sales at the time- I seem to remember them talking about some weeks it would be £50 or whatever. The charity he is talking about is a fund set up for comedians put out of work by the first lockdown.

I don't know where the money for old RHLSTP's is going. (Edit- he says for podcasts)

easytarget

Quote from: WhoMe on October 15, 2021, 05:10:52 AM
Latest episode with Tim Key is a treat, had me laughing in M25 traffic like a goon

Gets a lot of milage out the first thing he says: "Garment?"

He seems to be one of those naturally funny people.