Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:38:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Face coverings mandatory on public transport from June 15th

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 05, 2020, 05:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mango Chimes

I echo the calls to know where you get the cool masks.

I thought the DIY option may be a goer, but to do the good ones you need a sewing machine, and the non-sewing ones are fucking shit and leave me a cunt with painful ears, a squashed nose and an increasingly heated lump fabric that needs adjusting every few seconds before it migrates around my overheating face. I admire Dex's makeshift ninja outfit, but I don't understand it and I worry for its temperature regulation.

I've seen some online that look well fitted, but then on closer inspection even on the model shots you've got the pressure of the straps causing ear origami.

BlodwynPig

my mum made a load of masks from silk napkins and I scoffed at her. She says I can't have one now if I indeed ever return to society.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: olliebean on June 08, 2020, 02:23:49 PM
Yes, but the difference is momentary exposure vs sustained exposure. I don't know entirely how contagion works in this context but it seems possible that if your mouth is closed and you're exhaling through your nose at the moment when droplets come near, that might be a better situation than continuous breathing through a contaminated cotton mask.

I've seen lots of mask-making tutorials that suggest inserting some sort of filter - even if it's only a coffee filter - into the mask, but the government's version doesn't include anything like that.

I don't think the filters would make a difference in that scenario, and cloth masks don't have them anyway.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on June 07, 2020, 02:24:06 PM
Face masks are uncomfortable if you have facial hair but beyond that they are absolutely fine.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 07, 2020, 11:41:09 AM
I wore mine to the shop, it rode up my face, eventually poking me in the eyes and my glasses slid down, so i could see fuck all.

yeah, FINE

Sheffield Wednesday

I got some from here: https://www.contrado.co.uk/custom-face-masks

4 for £20 and you can make your own design so I made one zoomed in on the multicoloured diggers hard at work banging out a hospital in Wuhan:

I also did an ironic bullet hell one from Akai Katana where you can use a temporary shield to repel the spray of bullets but they still gather round you like a lot of moisture droplets on a mask hahaha dodge THAT 🤣

I also did one of Guts' smile from Berserk:

And one that's just THE LOST BOYS logo.

If they're shit I let you know. Q

Sheffield Wednesday

Oh for fucks sake what a waste of time designing them

I also got a shitload of N95 masks online from China back in January when I first heard about this tsunami of death so I might draw something funny on them

Dex Sawash

mippy

I was on a bus today and was the only person wearing one, despite the posters.

I made a few and it turns out they fit really well unless you have a beard, which then bunches up and pokes out the bottom. MrMippy bought some 'snoods' that seem to work - basically little jersey fabric tubes.

Sheffield Wednesday

Zero enforcement, maybe 50% following this.

You couldn't vent it up.

idunnosomename

Remember when we were laughing at people with buckets on their heads

Indomitable Spirit

Everyone was wearing them on my bus except the driver.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on June 15, 2020, 01:58:17 PM
Everyone was wearing them on my bus except the driver.

Hope you reported him and got him chucked off.

Mango Chimes

JOKE POLICE: Drivers are exempt from the regulations.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 07, 2020, 12:17:48 PM
I tried doing this:

But getting the top to fit around my glasses was causing me issues. It'll work for people who aren't speccy twats though.

the fuck is this?

Sheffield Wednesday

The UK government advice for making a face covering.

Billy

Yeah, Jubilee line today was about 50% masked up - the others either no mask at all or it was just hanging over their neck covering nothing and therefore useless. 90% of the no mask lot were men, and given how common it is to see people just casually jumping/pushing through the ticket barriers here I'd presume they're the same lot who don't actually pay to board anyway.

This also happened back in 2008 when alcohol was "banned" from London Transport and everyone just carried on anyway, and - from what I've read - it took a massive devastating fire at Kings Cross in the 80's for everyone to actually take the No Smoking signs seriously, as it was fairly loosely enforced until then.

Head Gardener

steveh

As I was getting off the Overground this afternoon the police got on and were starting on warnings of the 20% who had no mask or weren't wearing one properly so there is some enforcement going on. Only about half the staff in the station seemed to be wearing one though...

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 15, 2020, 03:07:05 PM
The UK government advice for making a face covering.

im imagining some big lad with a diy mask and a belly poking out of his crop top t-shirt now

Sheffield Wednesday

Quote from: Billy on June 15, 2020, 04:19:41 PM
Yeah, Jubilee line today was about 50% masked up - the others either no mask at all or it was just hanging over their neck covering nothing and therefore useless. 90% of the no mask lot were men, and given how common it is to see people just casually jumping/pushing through the ticket barriers here I'd presume they're the same lot who don't actually pay to board anyway.

This also happened back in 2008 when alcohol was "banned" from London Transport and everyone just carried on anyway, and - from what I've read - it took a massive devastating fire at Kings Cross in the 80's for everyone to actually take the No Smoking signs seriously, as it was fairly loosely enforced until then.

They should release mustard gas through the vents 🤣🤣🤣

Cloud

H-O-W-L

If anyone knows a good place to order masks please let me know. Would really love to have them for work when I return in July.

Head Gardener

Quote from: H-O-W-L on June 16, 2020, 02:03:25 AM
If anyone knows a good place to order masks please let me know. Would really love to have them for work when I return in July.

there was a bloke selling them at the car boot yesterday, they were not in bags or anything they were just stacked on a pasting table, I forgot to ask how much they were though. sorry