Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:46:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films that use a heavily overexposed song well

Started by peanutbutter, June 06, 2020, 12:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

I dunno if it's so much overexposed as just one that would have limited use within films, but Rhythm of the Night in Beau Travail is definitely amongst my favourite film moments ever. Honestly to the point that it makes me struggle to remember the rest of the film.

Wonderwall popping up in Mommy was really effective too, iirc. It's given a really strong moment where damn near any song could've worked though, perhaps.

Ferris

I've always liked Perfect Day turning up in Trainspotting

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 06, 2020, 12:34:20 AM
Wonderwall popping up in Mommy was really effective too, iirc. It's given a really strong moment where damn near any song could've worked though, perhaps.

Not a film, but 'Don't Look Back In Anger' at the end of Our Friends In The North is perfect and I've never liked that song.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 06, 2020, 01:00:17 AM
I've always liked Perfect Day turning up in Trainspotting

The downside of that excellent scene was the song's newfound popularity inspiring that godawful BBC version.

I did like Dr John's bit though. "Such a poifect day". They should've let him do the whole song and told everyone else to fuck off.

Sebastian Cobb

Donnie Smith charging about to Gabrielle's Dreams in Magnolia.

Egyptian Feast

That's another perfect choice of song. I'll always associate it with poor old Donnie.

Sebastian Cobb

Come to think of it, I think PTA might have form with this. The scene with Rahad Jackson prancing around to Jessie's Girl.

phantom_power

Modern Love in Frances Ha, and whatever film they nicked it from

Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Heroes in The Perks of Being a Wallflower (no you fuck off)

Helden in Jojo Rabbit

Sebastian Cobb

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The most heavily overexposed song, Bohemian Rhapsody in Wayne's World.

samadriel

Not a movie, but the Blue Jam monologue ending with Ray of Light by Madonna was a marvelous idea.

thugler

Chungking express and California dreamin by the mamas and the papas.

December Boy

Foreigner's I Want To Know What Love Is, in Show Me Love

Sin Agog

Don't think it was anywhere near as omnipresent then, but Whisper of the Heart even on rewatches doesn't make me hate Country Roads.  Maybe because rewriting a song's lyrics with your own trite but heartfelt lines is such a real young teen thing to do- I certainly did it.

phantom_power

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 06, 2020, 01:39:42 PM
Just Like Honey in Lost in Translation.

I would have thought More Than This would be more fitting for this thread. Is Just Like Honey overexposed?

In live and let die when they play voodoo people by the prodigy.

notjosh

I always loved Nothing Can Change This Love, but after seeing 11/22/63 the only thing I think about when I hear it is the beautiful final scene.

Quote from: phantom_power on June 06, 2020, 01:13:15 PM
Helden in Jojo Rabbit

Was going to say this too.

McChesney Duntz

The John Cale version of "Hallelujah" works very well in Basquiat, though it wasn't quite in "heavily overexposed" mode at the time.

Egyptian Feast

Finally thought of one. 'I Will Always Love You' in Hedwig And The Angry Inch. Hedwig's trailer park neighbour driving her up the wall singing it constantly pays off later when the song plays during an emotional moment.

Endicott

Is the Stones Time Is On My Side heavily overexposed? Anyway it's used very well in the supernatural thriller Fallen (1998), mostly just by being sung by the villain.

Fabian Thomsett

Blueberry Hill at the beginning of The Man Who Fell To Earth.

Sin Agog

I really love that dance to Time After Time at the end of Romy & Michele's High School Reunion.  Admittedly, a lot of that is due to Mira Sorvino perfectly incorporating her childhood ballet lessons, but the scene feels right all round.

kalowski

The use of Jumping Jack Flash to introduce Johnny Boy in Mean Streets is fantastic.

greenman

Obvious CaB one in Withnail and Along The Watchtower/Voodoo Child.

studpuppet

The at the start of The Big Chill the funeral scene has the organist playing the Stones' You Can't Always Get What You Want, which then segues into the song proper.

Sin Agog

Quote from: studpuppet on June 13, 2020, 03:51:44 PM
The at the start of The Big Chill the funeral scene has the organist playing the Stones' You Can't Always Get What You Want, which then segues into the song proper.

Also used well by Trump during his inauguration.

Brundle-Fly

There's only a snatch of it but If You Leave Me Now by Chicago in Shaun Of The Dead (2004). Pegg nails brokenheartedness and this intro compounds that sorrow of being dumped.