Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:09:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Groove Coaster Wai Wai Party

Started by Dewt, June 06, 2020, 02:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

I like this but isn't it a bit easy? I am good at rhythm games but I feel like with less than an hour of gameplay I should be able to have slept my way through all of the challenges that aren't level 7.

Mango Chimes

I've not played the Switch game, but the Groover Coasters I've played are definitely much easier than Project Diva Megamix. GC, the challenge is getting S+ on Expert. Hatsune Miku, it's a challenge to pass on Normal.

Dewt

I suppose! There's a bit less bite when just surviving the challenge isn't a feat, though.

Is it not normal to be able to clear any song on the first playthrough on HARD on Project Diva? I don't mean to brag but that's my baseline and I would be surprised if it was all that different for most.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Dewt on June 07, 2020, 02:58:13 PMIs it not normal to be able to clear any song on the first playthrough on HARD on Project Diva? I don't mean to brag but that's my baseline and I would be surprised if it was all that different for most.

Yeah, sorry, you're a weirdo. I'm not terrible at these games, but Project Diva's difficult. Albeit partly because I can't get my head around the holds and multi-button presses, so when one of those happens that's the next few seconds fucked.

Dewt

It's alienating being exceptional.

Alien, watashi alien...

Dewt

Quote from: Dewt on June 07, 2020, 03:54:52 PM
Alien, watashi alien...
^ But played really slowly so you mortals can keep up

Dewt

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 07, 2020, 03:20:53 PM
Yeah, sorry, you're a weirdo. I'm not terrible at these games, but Project Diva's difficult. Albeit partly because I can't get my head around the holds and multi-button presses, so when one of those happens that's the next few seconds fucked.
The multi-button presses become easier if you think about them as chords that you have to learn. After perfecting one song with a lot of them it became a lot easier for the others. That said, a triangle+x[nb]I'm using the Playstation symbols, so it would be, urm... x+b? on Switch controls[/nb] still throws me off, but never enough that it'll cause me to fail the song. My philosophy on that is "this controller is not designed for this game and this is just a pain in the arse when playing casually".

The trick to the holds is to use both sides of the controller. Play on one side and then switch to the other side while you hold down that symbol.

Triplets can be difficult but easy if you find the rhythm. It's all like sight-reading music. You can't do it well if you have to think too much about everything that's on the screen. You have to translate it into muscle memory that you've learned.

I learned that some really good players will remap buttons to make holds even easier. I feel like I could go down the road but to what end? No excuse for it unless I'm 17 years, which I am not, I am more than twice 17 years old.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Dewt on June 07, 2020, 06:38:38 PMThe multi-button presses become easier if you think about them as chords that you have to learn. After perfecting one song with a lot of them it became a lot easier for the others. That said, a triangle+x[nb]I'm using the Playstation symbols, so it would be, urm... x+b? on Switch controls[/nb] still throws me off, but never enough that it'll cause me to fail the song. My philosophy on that is "this controller is not designed for this game and this is just a pain in the arse when playing casually".

The trick to the holds is to use both sides of the controller. Play on one side and then switch to the other side while you hold down that symbol.

I switched the symbols to arrows because the extra thinking time of having to read the letters was killing me before I even began.

I was wondering if you were supposed to be using both sides of the controller constantly, because suddenly bringing in the left for a hold is part of what flips a reset switch in my head. The positioning of the d-pad doesn't help with using the left hand, though, and my thumbs have trouble moving fast enough, so I was thinking I might just be fucked for not having an arcade stick.

I'm just playing the demo for now, and I'm getting better, but I was surprised at how instantly tough it was on standard settings. The weird motion control version is much easier, but also significantly less satisfying.

Dewt

I haven't played the motion control mode and probably never will. Part of the appeal of Project Diva for me is how digital it is[nb]in the main mode[/nb]. I love Beat Saber but hate any fuzzy edge, "you were slightly the wrong angle for this to count as a left swipe" stuff. Give me certainty.

Using both sides of the controller is something that is difficult at first but after a few goes makes everything a lot easier. I learned all of this stuff in a vacuum and I'm doing a lot of things that probably aren't the best way, but I wasn't surprised that this is one of the techniques that people generally recommend, just because it's so enabling. The game's tutorial hints at it, too.

Sheffield Wednesday

Clearing a stage means nothing. It's about getting Perfects.

Dewt

Was about to brag about getting a perfect on Master with A Cruel Angel's Thesis, but apparently they all have to be GREATs and I was scuppered by four COOLs. That would have been a perfect in Project Diva, so I'm upgrading Wai Wai to "easy but fussier".

It is a lot of fun though, and trying to perfect all the masters and hards will be more than enough challenge so thanks for opening up my eyes. Even gods can learn from others, it seems.

Sheffield Wednesday

Can't even remember how shit it was living in COOL HEAVEN since I got to PERFECT HEAVEN

Dewt

Perfect Heaven on anything less than MASTER is a kind of shit Limbo to me.

Sheffield Wednesday

Sounds like you don't even know what comes after MASTER

Dewt

You were definitely the kid at school who had an uncle that worked at Nintendo and had a go on the SNES 2 actually I don't want to do bits, it's too tiring.

madhair60

this world is not that bad still

Sheffield Wednesday

Quote from: Dewt on June 08, 2020, 03:47:12 PM
You were definitely the kid at school who had an uncle that worked at Nintendo and had a go on the SNES 2 actually I don't want to do bits, it's too tiring.

I never had any console until the PS1 because we couldn't afford one. My stepdad bought it to try and ingratiate himself with us first Christmas after he moved in. We gave him years of grief for absolutely no reason except we could and still treat him like a punk but fair play, we loved that PlayStation.