Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:37:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Music that can change your mood instantly

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, May 11, 2005, 06:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

The theme from Minder.  Makes me glad to be alive.

'Too Much Kissing' by the Senseless Things on the other hand will have me weeping like a girl within seconds.

'When the Levee Breaks' Led Zeppelin version is probably the only song that gets me er, frisky.

'Head Like a Hole' Nine Inch Nails - instant adrenalin rush, ready to take on the world and his toaster.  Like Rob Newman, you put it on and feel ten feet tall, then you open your front door into the real world and have the senation of shit falling on your head (paraphrased).

The Mumbler

Justified & Ancient by The KLF - and I'm not entirely sure why.

Maybe an obvious one, but 'Good Day Sunshine' by the Beatles - I'm lovin' it at the moment, what with it being nice weather and all. "I'm in love and it's a sunny day." Cheers me up no end.

Just heard 'Mother Nature's Son' too - it changed my mood but I'm not sure how. It just made me stop and listen. It seems a tragic song but the lyrics are wonderful. "Swaying daisies, sing a lazy song beneath the sun..." The melody that seems to have been around forever but is at the same time fresh and new - the simple but oh-so-sweet lyrics, the raw talent in his voice - Macca at the height of his powers. (Apologies for that bit of guff, there.)

Also '59th Street Bridge Song (Feeling Groovy)' by Simon and Garfunkel. I guess it's my association with these songs and summer that makes me glad to be alive when I hear them. But if that was the case then surely I'd love Cliff Richard's Summer Holiday, too? (Hint: I do not.)

In the other direction - Radiohead's 'True Love Waits' - "true love waits in haunted attics / and true love lives on lollipops and crisps" if my ears serve me correctly. 'Old Friends' by Simon and Garfunkel too - 'how terribly strange to be seventy.' 'At Most Beautiful' by REM - the oft-quoted eyelashes line...and the answer machine bit....These songs make me cry.

Oh and - 'For No One' by the Beatles. And 'All Things Must Pass' by George Harrison. Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah,' and 'Lover, You Should've Come Over.' All achingly good, for when you're fed up for no apparent reason, and then your biscuit breaks and falls into your tea, ruining both, and it's the end of the world. sigh

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Deadman97"It's a sadness accelerator, an unhappiness catalyst, a bad-time enzyme..

What a way with words you have Deadman. I like that a lot.

My first candidate would be anything off Cartooom! by Plus-tech Squeeze Box (yes, I'm still banging on about them) for the power of that music to turn me from a torpid wreck into a hyperactive... well... wreck in under a minute. I use it like a shot in the arm to wake me up if I'm a bit tired and I'm going out.

My second candidate would be anything by Thomas Köner for exactly the opposite reason. Minutes after I put his stuff on my brain shifts down a gear (and I quite often fall asleep).

Tina

just play me the basement jaxx's "oh my gosh", or  bugz in the attic's "booty lala" and ill be hopping about like a happy rabbit

haha

difbrook

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Actually that's a reasonable idea for a thread. 'Music that must not be cheapened by arbitrary listening' – the kind of thing that forces you to just drop everything when it's played, and listen intently.

here are a few which not only can change my mood instantly, but also fall within Jemble Fred's stated criteria...

"I Want You" - Elvis Costello and the Attractions

likewise a very lengthy remix of "Estonia" by Marillion, taken from "Tales from the Engine Room".

also just about anything from "Bellybutton" or "Spilt Milk" by Jellyfish. Pop music as perfectly crafted as this demands to be *listened to*, not left on in the background...

but most of all -

"Eloise", by Barry Ryan. Much as I like the Damned's take on it, this is the one that usually leaps on me like a werewolf from a darkened alley, and demands that I stop moping around and pay attention...

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: "La Tristesse Durera"
'At The River' by Groove Armada. This is a guaranteed spine-tingler for me, makes me want to cry, laugh, reminisce, just generally feel nice. Probably my favourite track of all time.

In-bloody-deed. Not a fan of anything else Armada are responsible for, but 'At The River' is truly incredible. A beautiful slice of chilly music that can calm me down, thrill me, excite me...I can listen to it whenever, and still love it.

Pretty much the same for Massive Attack's Teardrop.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Carl Orff can make me feel immediately very whistful and comtemplative, but then again O Fortuna makes me very excitable.

Perculiarly, Marilyn Manson makes me excitable and lively too. A few days ago I was quite pissed off so I put on Golden Age of the Grotesque and by the title track I was feeling much better.

Better than shooting up a school, eh? I'll get my coat.

Des Nilsen

Manson is top for bouncy beat glam metal, nothing wrong with liking his (band's) stuff. Though Twiggy Ramirez was the better songwriter of the lot and he's gone now.

Music that changes my mood instantly? - it has to be something played in a club that I like but don't hear often while out somewhere. Early Floyd singles like 'Arnold Layne' and 'See Emily Play' have been played to my suprise in a certain club and it made me bubbly with excitement.

-

Labian Quest

Something that changes my mood instantly is the theme tune from the Um Bongo advert, which is available here:

http://www.umbongo.com/