Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Buy 740 games for $5+ and help Black Lives Matter

Started by Mister Six, June 06, 2020, 11:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Do you like video games? Do you like racial justice and equality? Would you like to get over 740 games for pocket change while also helping racial justice and equality?

Fuck my tits, do I have a link for you.

Pay $5 or more at that link and you'll get a ton of indie games, including Oxenfree, and all the money will be donated to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and Community Bail Fund. Offer ends in nine days, so hop to it!

G'wan.

Famous Mortimer

Thursday

All the games in it look like absolute shite except for the handful I've played though! Oh well, it's for a good cause and I'm sure one or two will turn out to be alright.

Mister Six

Quote from: Thursday on June 06, 2020, 11:17:22 PM
All the games in it look like absolute shite except for the handful I've played though! Oh well, it's for a good cause and I'm sure one or two will turn out to be alright.

Yeah there's a lot of "Queer foxes solve crimes while dating ^_^" twee-looking bollocks, but if even 95 percent of the games are shite, that's still 30 good games.

peanutbutter

A Short Hike is worth a fiver alone imo. Think it was free on Epic a while ago though so you might already have it, basically a mini indie replica of BotW's gliding mechanic

Anyways, anyone wanna rec some super short ones on here I'll give them a spin. Neat things that are less than an hour especially.

Super Hexagon is great too, Quadriliateral Cowboy is pretty good iirc, Night in the Woods was ultimately infuriating but had some really nice moments

Zetetic

I thought 2000:1 - A Space Felony was rather fun and nicely done - there's no real fundamental mystery, but it's a lovely mix of silliness and fairly standard detective mechanics done pleasingly well in a short space of time (45 minutes?). I'd strongly recommend trying that.

By the same people, I'm looking forward to Once Upon a Crime in the West, but something's buggering up an interaction early on in that. (I also want to play Disorient on the Murder Express, when they remake that - not included in this bundle, but the prototype is free anyway.)

I enjoyed EXTREME MEATPUNKS FOREVER, although I can't deny it's of the Itch.io-type referred to by Mister Six. Fun soundtrack, liked the writing, mechanics are ... functional but also tied nicely to characters (and also completely skippable if you can't be fucked and just want a visual novel).

A Mortician's Tale is not really a good game, but I thought it was just about interesting enough for its brevity and introduced me to stuff about American deaths that I'd never really known about. (Including that the best Mitford sister is probably most well-known in the States for The American Way of Death.)

Wheels of Aurelia is pretty, and it fees like there's an interesting game and vignettes in there, but I found actually playing it quite irritating. I could imagine someone else might get a lot more out of it.

Consignia

Just bought it. Probably not going to play most or even any of these games but it's a good excuse to donate.

That said, Super Hexagon is worth the asking price alone, so the must at least some other other gems nestled away in there.

bgmnts

I hope Ethnic Cleansing isn't in that list of games.

I've only played a couple but "Paranautical Activity" is great fun. I'd start there.
It's been shown up to be a bit basic and unbalanced since, but there was a good time there when it was arguably the best roguelite fps going.

Enjoyed my time with "Midboss" in early access.

"Cook, Serve, Delicious 2" would be worth a try, see if it's for you. It looks like a casual mobile game but you need proper skillz to do well.

The "Bleed" games are alright.

"Hellstar Squadron" is a pretty naff, boring, also ran indie shmup, you probably won't have any urge to replay it but it's worth a quick run through if you're getting it for nowt, more or less.

Loved the look of "Haque" but I had to refund that when it came out. The, glitchy, speccy style looked fine in videos but my brain just seemed to reject it during play. Might be worth a try to see if you fair any better.

"Task Force Kampas" is "screenshake: the game", I bought that and watched my rattling eyeballs bouncing out the window.

Looks like there might be something for everyone there. A handful of gems if you're prepared to trawl through all the crap.

Mister Six

Quote from: Zetetic on June 06, 2020, 11:34:14 PM
A Mortician's Tale is not really a good game, but I thought it was just about interesting enough for its brevity and introduced me to stuff about American deaths that I'd never really known about. (Including that the best Mitford sister is probably most well-known in the States for The American Way of Death.)

Shurely "the only good Mitford sister"?

Cheers for the reccs - other than Oxenfree I've not heard of any of these, so it's nice to have a good place to start.

Zetetic

I wouldn't have asked Nancy or Pamela to get out of my house.

Mister Six

Fair fucks, I thought they were all fascists except Jessica; I read about them years ago after listening to that Luke Haines song.  Upon re-reading the wiki, Nancy and Pamela do seem all right. Jessica is the best though, you're right.

Pink Gregory

Night in the Woods, Tonight We Riot, Cook Serve Delicious 2, A Short Hike, Minit, and that's a strong list for just the ones I've heard of

peanutbutter

On thing RE: A Short Hike is that it's almost unplayable without a gamepad due to the changing camera angles, you'll need an analogue stick for sure imo.

BeardFaceMan

Please tell me I'm being stupid and there's a button to download everything at once that I can't see, because there's no way I'm downloading all those games one by one.

Zetetic

There isn't as far as I know - but that's to stop people having 1500 things[nb]Or something like that, when the second batch is added.[/nb] (not all of which actually are computer games) clogging up their Itch.io library. Edit: MojoJojo provides a more useful answer below.

Could do with a better interface to navigate or search within the bundle-download page though.

Hoping that RPS's Sin Vega or Chris Franklin will provide some direction and reviews. Here's Terry Cavanagh's list.

MojoJojo

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 09, 2020, 08:57:52 AM
Please tell me I'm being stupid and there's a button to download everything at once that I can't see, because there's no way I'm downloading all those games one by one.

Good and bad news from the download link page:
QuoteNote: We will be updating this page soon, we know it's difficult to navigate so many games. We know you want a button to add show everything in your library. No need to reach out. Any new games added to the bundle will automatically show up here. Thanks!

brat-sampson

here's a list I've found of someone sampling these and giving some mini reviews to help separate the wheat from the shite.

peanutbutter

Celeste is in the list? I scrolled through multiple times and missed that. Feel like this could've done way better by limiting it to 50 or so, or giving a greater highlight to the hits.

Oh wait, there's now 1400 things in it? The fuck...

Not exactly related but I notice the dude who made Cart Life has made his most recent game free https://hofmeier.itch.io/type-dreams
It's pretty bizarre and the interface is horrific, but I thought it was a neat idea

Zetetic

It's raised $3m, hasn't it?

You can search by title, so I think it's basically fine now. I don't mind looking at what different people reckon are the highlights.

On that note: Loot Rascals was worth playing on Cavanagh's recommendation. RPS review:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/08/loot-rascals-review/

I'm finding there's lots of things that feel like a good use of an hour or two, even if they won't be my favourite thing ever.

peanutbutter

Anecdotal for sure but I've linked it to two people who would without a doubt love Night in the Woods and A Short Hike alone, could've probably gotten £5 outta each of them just for links to those two after a few screen shots, but the sheer size of it seems to have scared them off.

That being said, I'm gonna put in a bit more money buying a gift copy or two cos there's been a couple of things added I'm at least intrigued by since I bought it... so it might have a weird impact where people like me are basically forcing people into getting into itch.io via gift donations

Mister Six

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 10, 2020, 12:58:45 AM
That being said, I'm gonna put in a bit more money buying a gift copy or two cos there's been a couple of things added I'm at least intrigued by since I bought it... so it might have a weird impact where people like me are basically forcing people into getting into itch.io via gift donations

If you've already bought it then you automatically get the new games.

A few people I know have been a bit bewildered by the out of stuff, but I just put it this way - worst comes to worst and you don't play anything, you just donated a bit of money to a worthy cause.

Chairman Yang

Picked this up for PICO-8 and Celeste and the 1000 games about a horny wolf are just a bonus.

The Crumb

Feel like I've got good value already just from browsing through the catalogue. Morbidly tempted to try the raccoon dating game.

"What did you do to support racial equality, daddy? Did you riot and tear down symbols of oppression?"

"No son, I paid $5 for a massive collection of barely playable computer games, most of which were about trying to have sex with badly drawn animals."

Zetetic

Some the animals are very well drawn, but unfortunately some of the games about trying to have sex with them are tabletop RPGs with a minimum of 3 players.

And you can pay more than 5USD!

Uncle TechTip

Yes, several of them are just engines for table top games. Some are graphics demos. But there's more than enough to be going with. The kids got a lot of fun out of Catleteral Damage.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 10, 2020, 03:20:07 PM
"What did you do to support racial equality, daddy? Did you riot and tear down symbols of oppression?"

"No son, I paid $5 for a massive collection of barely playable computer games, most of which were about trying to have sex with badly drawn animals."
I did both, it was great

Also, have I missed this, but is there an article / list anywhere about which are the best ones to get?

The Crumb

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 10, 2020, 06:31:14 PM
I did both, it was great

Also, have I missed this, but is there an article / list anywhere about which are the best ones to get?

There's a helpful link in reply#17 where someone's reviewed a chunk.

Can recommend Sky Rogue if you like Starfox  or similar.

Zetetic

Found these on this "comedy" forum I visit sometimes:

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 06, 2020, 11:25:05 PM
A Short Hike is worth a fiver alone imo. Think it was free on Epic a while ago though so you might already have it, basically a mini indie replica of BotW's gliding mechanic

Super Hexagon is great too, Quadriliateral Cowboy is pretty good iirc, Night in the Woods was ultimately infuriating but had some really nice moments

Quote from: Zetetic on June 06, 2020, 11:34:14 PM
I thought 2000:1 - A Space Felony was rather fun and nicely done - there's no real fundamental mystery, but it's a lovely mix of silliness and fairly standard detective mechanics done pleasingly well in a short space of time (45 minutes?). I'd strongly recommend trying that.

By the same people, I'm looking forward to Once Upon a Crime in the West, but something's buggering up an interaction early on in that. (I also want to play Disorient on the Murder Express, when they remake that - not included in this bundle, but the prototype is free anyway.)

I enjoyed EXTREME MEATPUNKS FOREVER, although I can't deny it's of the Itch.io-type referred to by Mister Six. Fun soundtrack, liked the writing, mechanics are ... functional but also tied nicely to characters (and also completely skippable if you can't be fucked and just want a visual novel).

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 07, 2020, 12:12:46 AM
I've only played a couple but "Paranautical Activity" is great fun. I'd start there.
It's been shown up to be a bit basic and unbalanced since, but there was a good time there when it was arguably the best roguelite fps going.

Enjoyed my time with "Midboss" in early access.

"Cook, Serve, Delicious 2" would be worth a try, see if it's for you. It looks like a casual mobile game but you need proper skillz to do well.

The "Bleed" games are alright.

Quote from: Zetetic on June 10, 2020, 12:45:35 AM
On that note: Loot Rascals was worth playing on Cavanagh's recommendation. RPS review:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/08/loot-rascals-review/